123Next >
8931 98 2018-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I have a problem with the RAW files on the Mavic 2 Pro being overexposed when I open them in Lightroom CC.I use Auto mode and adjust the expsoure with the right wheel, as always.

They exposure looks right on the iPhone screen before I take the photo. I also have a Mavic Pro Platinum and the exposur has always been accurate.
Now I have to lower the exposure to -50 in LR CC and also the whites are blown out. I also noticed oversaturated (specially greens) images and softer than the Platinum.
Anyone experiencing the same?
Thanx

Pat

horrible...

horrible...
2018-9-1
Use props
dancopter
lvl.4
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Is your computer monitor calibrated?
2018-9-1
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

That photo actually looks about right for the M2pro.
2018-9-1
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

dancopter Posted at 2018-9-1 20:05
Is your computer monitor calibrated?

the monitor has nothing to do with the overexposure.  the images from the mavic platinum are perfect.
2018-9-1
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-9-1 20:16
That photo actually looks about right for the M2pro.

right?  are u kidding? it's crap. Look at the greens, the whites are blown out and the image is soft.. I Never had these bad images on my mavic pro platinum or even the Spark. There is something wrong with it. I have been a Pro photographer for 17 years. I know what im doing. The raw files are NOT what i was seeing on the iphone screen when i was shooting.
2018-9-1
Use props
Lucas775
Second Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

Brilliant Miami Posted at 2018-9-1 20:21
right?  are u kidding? it's crap. Look at the greens, the whites are blown out and the image is soft.. I Never had these bad images on my mavic pro platinum or even the Spark. There is something wrong with it. I have been a Pro photographer for 17 years. I know what im doing. The raw files are NOT what i was seeing on the iphone screen when i was shooting.

hmmm im not familiar with the M2pro yet hopefully by next week, but I'm thinking the settings would be similar with the MP.
2018-9-1
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Lucas775 Posted at 2018-9-1 20:24
hmmm im not familiar with the M2pro yet hopefully by next week, but I'm thinking the settings would be similar with the MP.

you don't understand. the settings are fine. The exposure and the image on the iPhone look ok. Not overexposed. It has been raining nonstop so I didn't have too much time to fly but I will look into it. This is. a problem...
2018-9-1
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

right?  are u kidding? it's crap. Look at the greens, the whites are blown out and the image is soft.. I Never had these bad images on my mavic pro platinum or even the Spark. There is something wrong with it. I have been a Pro photographer for 17 years. I know what im doing. The raw files are NOT what i was seeing on the iphone screen when i was shooting.

I take it your iphone screen resolution is exactlly the same as your pc screen? Have to say, the smaller screen always give you the better picture. On the 5Diii images looks sharp and excellent on the small screen, on the pc it can be softer and does not look the same.

The iphone (or any phone for that matter) screen is made to work in bright light etc, pc screen not so much.
I am not saying that the image is not overexposed and soft, that it is. I am saying that i don,t think you should measure your image quality, on the way it shows on your phone.
2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Looks about right to me.   Suspect the monitor isn't profiled and is too bright making it appear over exposed.
2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Brilliant Miami Posted at 2018-9-1 20:26
you don't understand. the settings are fine. The exposure and the image on the iPhone look ok. Not overexposed. It has been raining nonstop so I didn't have too much time to fly but I will look into it. This is. a problem...

Have you had the same results in manual mode ?
2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-2 00:08
I take it your iphone screen resolution is exactlly the same as your pc screen? Have to say, the smaller screen always give you the better picture. On the 5Diii images looks sharp and excellent on the small screen, on the pc it can be softer and does not look the same.

The iphone (or any phone for that matter) screen is made to work in bright light etc, pc screen not so much.

Exactly - a phone is the worst thing possible to judge any sort of photo, colour, sharpness or exposure.

NONE are calibrated or profiled screens.  Most have a limited gamut.  Most over egg the saturation for a punchier feel and pretty much all are brighter than needed to cater for the fact they need to be seen in sunlight.

Then again, most people run their laptop monitors 3x brighter than they should too.

2018-9-2
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. We apologize for the inconvenience. Is the file came from the SD card or app?
2018-9-2
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-2 04:48
Hi. We apologize for the inconvenience. Is the file came from the SD card or app?

from the SD card. Imported into Lightroom
2018-9-2
Use props
Jimmy Chu22
lvl.2
United States

I am so sorry to hear that.  Pllease use calibrated screen before pointing finger at DJI.  Look at DJI tips and tricks, which help many users fix their mistakes in operation,
2018-9-2
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-2 02:18
Exactly - a phone is the worst thing possible to judge any sort of photo, colour, sharpness or exposure.

NONE are calibrated or profiled screens.  Most have a limited gamut.  Most over egg the saturation for a punchier feel and pretty much all are brighter than needed to cater for the fact they need to be seen in sunlight.

man, does anyone know anything about photography? the phone is just a viewer. Calibration is for color accuracy and then printing. It doesn't affect the raw file. I am talking about exposure and over saturation. I can fix the files in Light Room but it takes a lot of tweaking, A lot more than it should be needed and definitely a lot more than files from the Mavic Pro Platinum.
Like I said, it has been raining not stop this week so I didn't have too much time to fly so I will look into the problem more but there is definitely something wrong with the raw file.
Also there is no lens correction profile for the Mavic 2 Pro yet. The profile doesn't affect the color, only the distortion on the lens, which is still present.
2018-9-2
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Jimmy Chu22 Posted at 2018-9-2 05:07
I am so sorry to hear that.  Pllease use calibrated screen before pointing finger at DJI.  Look at DJI tips and tricks, which help many users fix their mistakes in operation,

calibrated screen? you guys really have no idea about Professional photography.
2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Brilliant Miami Posted at 2018-9-2 05:08
man, does anyone know anything about photography? the phone is just a viewer. Calibration is for color accuracy and then printing. It doesn't affect the raw file. I am talking about exposure and over saturation. I can fix the files in Light Room but it takes a lot of tweaking, A lot more than it should be needed and definitely a lot more than files from the Mavic Pro Platinum.
Like I said, it has been raining not stop this week so I didn't have too much time to fly so I will look into the problem more but there is definitely something wrong with the raw file.
Also there is no lens correction profile for the Mavic 2 Pro yet. The profile doesn't affect the color, only the distortion on the lens, which is still present.

Yes actually.  Given its my job to know.

A phone is a viewer.  Its utterly worthless for judging ANYTHING to do with an image so why mention it?  You cant tell anything at all from it.

If your calibration (and profiling which you ignore) is incorrect you will be unable to tell if an image is exposed correctly.  Specifically if you've got the luminescence set up badly (too bright and its the most common fault) you're going to get all kinds of issues.

You seem to ignore the core basics of photography.  The photos you posted weren't over exposed.  They were well within the limits.  Also, if you're on about "professional photography" why aren't you doing it properly by taking note of the histogram and zebras to get it right IN CAMERA ?

Why would you expect a lens profile to be out yet as well?  Adobe generally do a ACR upgrade once a month.  Don't expect one for at least a month.  Its not hard to do it yourself.
2018-9-2
Use props
djiuser_u1fioz8UrNqU
lvl.3

Brilliant Miami Posted at 2018-9-2 05:09
calibrated screen? you guys really have no idea about Professional photography.

Agree, this is more a drone forum than a photography forum.

For photography you would probably need to post the RAW file.  I've been taking photos with the Mavic 2 Pro and have not seen any blown out highlights in RAW.  I wonder if the issue may be that the camera takes the entire image to measure exposure.  In the example you downloaded only the white building seems overexposed and the rest of the image is fine, so the average is okay.  You might try turning on the zebra stripes so you know what is likely to be blown out, or use the histogram display.  I think the zebras would work better.
2018-9-2
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-2 05:42
Yes actually.  Given its my job to know.

A phone is a viewer.  Its utterly worthless for judging ANYTHING to do with an image so why mention it?  You cant tell anything at all from it.

I am not ignoring anything, I work with 4 types of images from 4 different cameras in Lightroom and the files from the Mavic 2 are not right. I know what I am doing. the iPhone screen is only a reference while you are flying but it usually is pretty accurate. In fact, it's the ONLY way to know what the photo I s going to look like in the end. In 17 years as a Pro I never used a histogram or zebra.
I will compare the Platinum and the 2 Pro and I will post the differences in exposure so u can see.
As far as Adobe, they update ACR and profiles when needed,. That's the advantage of CC, quicker updates.
2018-9-2
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_u1fioz8UrNqU Posted at 2018-9-2 06:00
Agree, this is more a drone forum than a photography forum.

For photography you would probably need to post the RAW file.  I've been taking photos with the Mavic 2 Pro and have not seen any blown out highlights in RAW.  I wonder if the issue may be that the camera takes the entire image to measure exposure.  In the example you downloaded only the white building seems overexposed and the rest of the image is fine, so the average is okay.  You might try turning on the zebra stripes so you know what is likely to be blown out, or use the histogram display.  I think the zebras would work better.

Dude. what good is a drone without the camera? just useless. This IS a forum about photography. If DJI didn't want to attract more professional users, why team up with Hasselblad?
You are wrong.
The zebra shows overexposure on whites which I am not seeing on my screen anyway.
It is possible the Camera Raw engine not having a profile for the 2 Pro is messing everything up.
Hopefully Adobe will update it soon.
2018-9-2
Use props
Duncandonut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2139291 ft
United Kingdom

Brilliant Miami Posted at 2018-9-2 06:15
Dude. what good is a drone without the camera? just useless. This IS a forum about photography. If DJI didn't want to attract more professional users, why team up with Hasselblad?
You are wrong.
The zebra shows overexposure on whites which I am not seeing on my screen anyway.

wow no need to be so hostile towards everyone.

I have both the Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 Pro. When I went out yesterday for the first time with my M2P, I thought I would use exactly the same settings as what I had on my MP. The photos's did not look right. I made a few tweaks and hey presto, all looks good now. Am not a photographer, I am an electrician so I may not see things as well as you do when it comes to photo's.
2018-9-2
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

Dude. Just open a Support ticket if you think something is wrong with your M2P.

I honestly don't have this issue but for the record, is there anyone else having this problem?
2018-9-2
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

No Man's Drone Posted at 2018-9-2 06:41
Dude. Just open a Support ticket if you think something is wrong with your M2P.

I honestly don't have this issue but for the record, is there anyone else having this problem?

I will
thank you
2018-9-2
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Duncandonut Posted at 2018-9-2 06:31
wow no need to be so hostile towards everyone.

I have both the Mavic Pro and Mavic 2 Pro. When I went out yesterday for the first time with my M2P, I thought I would use exactly the same settings as what I had on my MP. The photos's did not look right. I made a few tweaks and hey presto, all looks good now. Am not a photographer, I am an electrician so I may not see things as well as you do when it comes to photo's.

I am not being hostile. There is something wrong with the setup and unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a setting. I will look into it more when it stops raining and I can fly again.

Thanx
2018-9-2
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Calm down  and quit biting peoples heads off  who are trying to help you or you won't be getting much help here.
2018-9-2
Use props
rent
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1773458 ft
  • >>>
United States

Post / link to your RAW file please. The exposure of the image you posted looks ok to me.
2018-9-2
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

where did you measure the light? In the shadows or in the highlights?

I assume you are using Manual mode what is the histogram saying in the app?
Have you turned on "overexposure" warnings? (don't remember the exact name in the app)

Is lightroom updated with the new camera profile? Ie, have Adobe release an update with the new conditions?

Just some questions.
It looks like an overcast day.
And the photo looks "blurry" somehow, don't know if you done some editing or not.

Hope you find a solution.

I saw that DJI
2018-9-2
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
South Africa

Man, personally, i would be able to get all the details from that highlights, and if you take the vibrance down a tad, would work well. But then, i am not a professional photographer, just a serious hobbyist.
Also, everyone that own Lightroom, Photoshop CC and Capture one 10, knows that Lightroom color gamut is out of whack.  
2018-9-2
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-2 09:10
Man, personally, i would be able to get all the details from that highlights, and if you take the vibrance down a tad, would work well. But then, i am not a professional photographer, just a serious hobbyist.
Also, everyone that own Lightroom, Photoshop CC and Capture one 10, knows that Lightroom color gamut is out of whack.

I know that. I am not saying it can't be fixed. I  can. It's just too hot, especially on the whites. I never seen whites blown out like that on any DJI product, and I have had 7 DJI drones before this one.
2018-9-2
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>

Flybee Posted at 2018-9-2 08:30
where did you measure the light? In the shadows or in the highlights?

I assume you are using Manual mode what is the histogram saying in the app?

It was not overcast,  it was sunny therefore the whites are blown out, which is a problem.
The whole image looks soft, as if the shutter speed was slow. It was 1/400 so everything should be "frozen".
I didn't shoot a jpg so I can't compare but the settings are simple: automatic with -3 ev.  Nothing like the result I got.
That's what worries me.
Camera raw  doesn't have the profile yet. Maybe it will be fixed with it. In the meantime,  I will underexpose the photos to avoid clipped highlights.
Cheers
2018-9-2
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
South Africa

Brilliant Miami Posted at 2018-9-2 09:22
I know that. I am not saying it can't be fixed. I  can. It's just too hot, especially on the whites. I never seen whites blown out like that on any DJI product, and I have had 7 DJI drones before this one.

I have a Canon 5D iv, full frame, with a sensor that kick all DJI drones cameras out of the water and beyond, and i HAVE seen whites blown out like that.
So if you have never seen any overexposed blown out whites on 7 DJI drones, man, you are one lucky dude.
2018-9-2
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-2 10:26
I have a Canon 5D iv, full frame, with a sensor that kick all DJI drones cameras out of the water and beyond, and i HAVE seen whites blown out like that.
So if you have never seen any overexposed blown out whites on 7 DJI drones, man, you are one lucky dude.

And I have a 1DX Mark II and a Sony A7R III that blow your 5D IV out of the sky... But they can't fly!
I have seen blown whites but not if I can help it. If u expose your photos right, u won't get them.
2018-9-2
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

2018-9-2
Use props
Jimmy Chu22
lvl.2
United States

Brilliant Miami Posted at 2018-9-2 06:09
I am not ignoring anything, I work with 4 types of images from 4 different cameras in Lightroom and the files from the Mavic 2 are not right. I know what I am doing. the iPhone screen is only a reference while you are flying but it usually is pretty accurate. In fact, it's the ONLY way to know what the photo I s going to look like in the end. In 17 years as a Pro I never used a histogram or zebra.
I will compare the Platinum and the 2 Pro and I will post the differences in exposure so u can see.
As far as Adobe, they update ACR and profiles when needed,. That's the advantage of CC, quicker updates.

17 year as pro and never use histogram?    I have different idea of what "pro" is I guess.  Perhaps lower exposure to -.3 or -.7 then do your business in Windows picture editor.   Picture you posted look fine to me, but composition could be better I guess, and maybe dirty lens.   Uncle Ho taught me to always clean lens before wedding night.
2018-9-2
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
South Africa

Brilliant Miami Posted at 2018-9-2 10:36
And I have a 1DX Mark II and a Sony A7R III that blow your 5D IV out of the sky... But they can't fly!
I have seen blown whites but not if I can help it. If u expose your photos right, u won't get them.

Jeezz man, im taking the crap out of you.

I would say this is exposed perfectly.
Just saying, it is fairly impossible to not get blown out highlights with a drone sometimes, as you don,t really know what the light conditions in the sky is at any given moment.
2018-9-2
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Jimmy Chu22 Posted at 2018-9-2 10:56
17 year as pro and never use histogram?    I have different idea of what "pro" is I guess.  Perhaps lower exposure to -.3 or -.7 then do your business in Windows picture editor.   Picture you posted look fine to me, but composition could be better I guess, and maybe dirty lens.   Uncle Ho taught me to always clean lens before wedding night.

I never needed a histogram or a light meter.  It's freaking digital and Raw. I have made a living taking photos since 2001. I guess you do have the wrong idea.
2018-9-2
Use props
Jimmy Chu22
lvl.2
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-2 10:56
[view_image]

Charissa,  WOW WOW and WOW!!!!   

You professional photographer!!!!!!    T
2018-9-2
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-2 10:56
[view_image]

I am not expecting DSLR or mirrorless quality out of the drone but, again, my DSLR can't go up 400 feet.
When u are in the air, there is only a few moments to take the photo. Clouds, shadows, wind, too many factors. U don't have time to think too much... U got to snap the shot and move on.
I am just saying, I was getting better results from the Mavic Platinum's RAW files  even if the sensor was smaller.
Also even at ISO 100 there is a lot of noise on the files, which kinda sucks.
BTW, off topic. Have u seen the New Canon EOS R mirrorless? It will be announced Sept 5.
2018-9-2
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
South Africa

Brilliant Miami Posted at 2018-9-2 11:07
I am not expecting DSLR or mirrorless quality out of the drone but, again, my DSLR can't go up 400 feet.
When u are in the air, there is only a few moments to take the photo. Clouds, shadows, wind, too many factors. U don't have time to think too much... U got to snap the shot and move on.
I am just saying, I was getting better results from the Mavic Platinum's RAW files  even if the sensor was smaller.

I am loving the Fuji GFX 50s at the moment. Awesome camera. Photography is a hobby, don,t make too much money from it, just a image in a book or magazine every now and again. Some images in the Kruger National Park magazines. Mostly macro stuff, and mostly spending money.
Will have a look at that Canon. I have so many lenses and accessories for the Canon 5Div and 7Dii, that it would cost me a fortune to replace with mirrorless.
Dreaming though.
2018-9-2
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
South Africa

Jimmy Chu22 Posted at 2018-9-2 11:06
Charissa,  WOW WOW and WOW!!!!   

You professional photographer!!!!!!    T

Thanks Jimmy. And no, just a hobby.
2018-9-2