Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 2 Pro Overexposed images
8748 98 2018-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-6 06:37
Its marketed as 14 stops with HDR... Very different.

An engineer who was involved with the development of the camera systems says on his blog about 11.5 - 12 stops

yeah this seems more like it.
2018-9-6
Use props
Elanor
lvl.2
Flight distance : 332405 ft
Italy

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-6 06:38
You do realise the second you mention Ken Rockwell everyone who knows anything at all about photography switches off and automatically assumes the complete opposite of what he says?
It kind of shows your experience level if you repost anything he says at all.

Right from Ken Rockwell topic about "Modern Exposure".
"No longer does anyone need to worry about ISOs, apertures or shutter speeds; most cameras do this automatically. All you need to know is when to apply a little bit of correction to the camera's decisions, and you do this by looking at your LCD."

I wonder why I wasted my time studying aperture, shutter speed, histograms - ETTR? What? -  or even worse... hyperfocal, diffraction, focus stacking and other mumbo jumbos!  
Wait, I'm not even a professional!  
2018-9-6
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Brilliant Miami Posted at 2018-9-6 05:52
I am not even going to go there and explain myself. I will let Ken Rockwell say it for me...  [view_image]

Are you for real???

You just used that blathering ignoramus Ken Rockwell to backup your claims about why you don't need the histogram???

Buddy, you haven't a clue, and now it's obvious why if you trust the BS of someone like Ken Rockwell!!!

2018-9-6
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

Brilliant Miami Posted at 2018-9-6 05:52
I am not even going to go there and explain myself. I will let Ken Rockwell say it for me...  [view_image]

Did you seriously quote Ken Rockwell...LOL

I take back all my criticisms of you not being a pro-photog.  You are most likely a Photog-God.  Thank you for clearing up the Histogram situation for us.
2018-9-6
Use props
fans02e6d1e1
lvl.1

United States

I think we should keep in mind that we're talking about a pretty advanced consumer/prosumer drone, with a lot of technology on board, including the camera... but for the price of roughly $1,500 for ALL OF IT, can we really expect to get photos and videos out of the camera (PRO or Zoom) that we get out of our DSLRs costing $3,000 and up? And I'm sure some people here have even more expensive cameras.

In a perfect world, I could afford 'the best' camera out there (whatever 'the best' means to you), and for drone work, hang it from one of DJI's commercial drones. I'd use the same cameras for everything, and never worry about matching them up.

In THIS world, however, I don't have that kind of money!

Have a nice day everyone!

PS - I actually think the few photos posted in this thread are pretty nice!
2018-9-6
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-6 09:08
Are you for real???

You just used that blathering ignoramus Ken Rockwell to backup your claims about why you don't need the histogram???

you want to see what what I can do without a histogram? look here...www.clicstudio.com orwww.brilliantmiami.com
2018-9-6
Use props
user51910e966b
lvl.1

United States

rikk08 Posted at 2018-9-3 23:21
That's one hell of a photo...I'll be there in about 20days (SUPER EXCITED!!!!!!)

Just wanted to say that gear doesn't matter as much, it's how you use it ;)

Good point but there's the noise to deal with which is quite excessive.  I'm forced to bracket more often then I like and composite.  I too would like Adobe to hurry on that profile correction for the barrel distortion.  In time.......
2018-10-6
Use props
user51910e966b
lvl.1

United States

Brilliant Miami Posted at 2018-9-6 05:44
I would have expected F8 to be the sweet spot... I will try a few different setups to try to avoid the softness I am getting as well.

5.6 is the sharpest this lens gets.  Softer below and softer above.  I usually assume the same as you that 7.1 or 8 are the sweet spot but tests reveal differently for this lens.
2018-10-6
Use props
Maximus DTT
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1450102 ft
Costa Rica

I'm surprised that other people are not experiencing what the OP mentioned.
I pre-ordered the mavic pro 2 the day it came out, so maybe its part of the first batch. But the pictures are definitely over saturated when throwing them into Lightroom.
This of course is in comparison to the mavic pro 1 which I also got during launch day two years ago.
I can upload some raws for people to see if you guys want to compare.

I shoot video in the h265 with d-log so thats as muted of a color curve as you can get (I also shoot s-log or a desaturated profile on my Sony a7r3)
At first I thought maybe it was a forgotten setting in the photo settings, but upon inspection when entering into the photo settings and going to color you dont have any options, only "none".
2018-11-4
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-11-4
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-11-4
Use props
AlansDronePics
Second Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

About a year ago, after a firmware update, my MP displayed over exposed shots in auto whereas, it was spot on previously. The DJI suggestion was to reinstall the firmwatr and reset all aspects of the camera. OK, it was their usual canned response, but it did correct the problem and it behaved properly. Manual control was possible, but it required a large change in shutter speed to compensate, for a fixed ISO. Perhaps this is something worth trying.
2018-11-5
Use props
mepster
New
Flight distance : 253655 ft
United States

Yes I also get these blown-out whites. Seems like it's when the white is a small fraction of the photo area, and especially also with dark shadows in foliage. Just like your shot. The whites tend to be high-up (sunlit) and manmade objects. Totally spoils the shot. It's taxing to always be watching for this while trying to fly, and seems like the camera should be able to fix automatically. Did you find any setting to improve this?
2021-4-23
Use props
JoiCam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 771434 ft
Iceland

2021-4-24
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

mepster Posted at 4-23 08:31
Yes I also get these blown-out whites. Seems like it's when the white is a small fraction of the photo area, and especially also with dark shadows in foliage. Just like your shot. The whites tend to be high-up (sunlit) and manmade objects. Totally spoils the shot. It's taxing to always be watching for this while trying to fly, and seems like the camera should be able to fix automatically. Did you find any setting to improve this?

and seems like the camera should be able to fix automatically.
It seems like many don't understand that there are limits to the dynamic range of the camera.
It cannot physically properly expose for very bright highlights and very dark shadows in the same image.
That's just how things are with any camera.

Your camera's metering will expose for the average of the scene and if you have a lot of dark that will outweigh a small bright area.
As you get more experience, you can learn ways to deal with that to a degree.
But expecting the camera to sort it out for you is unrealistic.

2021-4-24
Use props
DevoD
lvl.1
United States

I'm having the same problem in 2023 with my mavic2, overexposed photos, and my Mavic Pro. never did this, and my DJI Mini Pro 3 doesn't do it. I tried to factory reset the camera from the app but it is still overexposing.

photo

photo

2023-3-18
Use props
DevoD
lvl.1
United States

A lot of these comments are rude to the pro photo guy who has a legitimate problem with the mavic2, even though this thread is old, It still sucks to see snarky comments. FYI if my M2 doesn't get its act together it is going in the trash.  
2023-3-18
Use props
Mobilehomer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 18135846 ft
United States

DevoD Posted at 3-18 17:13
A lot of these comments are rude to the pro photo guy who has a legitimate problem with the mavic2, even though this thread is old, It still sucks to see snarky comments. FYI if my M2 doesn't get its act together it is going in the trash.

have you tried full auto mode? EV at 0. And the "pro" that started the thread is an idiot.
2023-3-18
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

DevoD Posted at 3-18 17:02
I'm having the same problem in 2023 with my mavic2, overexposed photos, and my Mavic Pro. never did this, and my DJI Mini Pro 3 doesn't do it. I tried to factory reset the camera from the app but it is still overexposing.[view_image]

Is it consisyently overexposing?

The solution is probably quite simple.
Upload that full-sized, original jpg to dropboc or similar and post a link and perhaps someone can dig into the metadata to see if the explanation is hidden in there.
2023-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules