8974 98 2018-9-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-2 11:28
I am loving the Fuji GFX 50s at the moment. Awesome camera. Photography is a hobby, don,t make too much money from it, just a image in a book or magazine every now and again. Some images in the Kruger National Park magazines. Mostly macro stuff, and mostly spending money.
Will have a look at that Canon. I have so many lenses and accessories for the Canon 5Div and 7Dii, that it would cost me a fortune to replace with mirrorless.
Dreaming though.

there is an EF to RF adapter. U can use all your lenses with the new R.
2018-9-2
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I am loving the Fuji GFX 50s at the moment. Awesome camera. Photography is a hobby, don,t make too much money from it, just a image in a book or magazine every now and again. Some images in the Kruger National Park magazines. Mostly macro stuff, and mostly spending money.
Will have a look at that Canon. I have so many lenses and accessories for the Canon 5Div and 7Dii, that it would cost me a fortune to replace with mirrorless.
Dreaming though.

www.canon rumors
2018-9-2
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Can you post the DNG file?

2018-9-2
Use props
LordoftheFlies
lvl.3

Brilliant Miami Posted at 2018-9-2 05:09
calibrated screen? you guys really have no idea about Professional photography.

Neither do you apparently...
2018-9-2
Use props
LordoftheFlies
lvl.3

That's a great shot.
2018-9-2
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-2 10:56
Jeezz man, im taking the crap out of you.
[view_image]
I would say this is exposed perfectly.

Beautiful!!
2018-9-2
Use props
Valentin Remy
lvl.3

Jeez op, you're being so aggressive, you're lucky people are still willing to help...

The Mavic 2 is pretty new, maybe Lightroom isn't processing its RAW images very well yet.

Also, your image doesn't look overexposed on my screen.. The roof bottom right is quite shiny, but I wouldn't say the image is overexposed.

Share your DNG instead of biting everyone ^^
2018-9-3
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

nobody takes him seriously, so i get why he gets pi**ed.
but yeah. post the dng. woulnd't be the first time that dji raws are not perfect.
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Dreaming though.

Well the new leaked Canon R has an EF to R mount.
Quite how big it is and how much image quality is affected remains to be seen.
Canons biggest selling point over all other manufacturers is its got much better quality high end glass.  They'd be insane to cut out that existing user base on the new mirrorless and the mirrorless would be still born as nobody would switch.

Although mirrorless for me is "interesting" i dont really need it.  I cant see any benefits what-so-ever to switch.  The ONLY reason im thinking of it is because its time for an upgrade over my 4 year old bodies now anyway.  If i can use my existing glass with no downsides then i'll consider it.  If i can't then it'll be a DSLR again that'll last me years.
2018-9-3
Use props
DanielVieira
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

BTW last CameraRaw has the lens profile that mavic 2 pro uses....better to update your software....
Note: the raw file itself have this profile too...
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Yeah it worked before a RAW update using the DNG embedded profile.

Capture one doesn't though.
2018-9-3
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-3 03:58
Well the new leaked Canon R has an EF to R mount.
Quite how big it is and how much image quality is affected remains to be seen.
Canons biggest selling point over all other manufacturers is its got much better quality high end glass.  They'd be insane to cut out that existing user base on the new mirrorless and the mirrorless would be still born as nobody would switch.

I would probably go for mirrorless if it is definitely time for me to upgrade, like my cameras and lenses all got lost..... I own bags full of quality Canon glass, and they still give me excellent quality.
The advantage of mirrorless at the moment for me, is that the cameras is smaller, lighter and easier to carry around. Thats about it for now.

People tend to think more expensive, better and newer technology will improve your photography, but that is the biggest load of BS i ever heard. We have a guy here that still takes landscapes with a Canon Eos 350D, and a Sigma 10-20 f4 lens, and his images rocks. He constantly beat out all the Nikon 850 and Canon 5Div,s by pure talent alone.
Canon,s biggest selling point is the fact that they have a wider variety of quality glass, for all types of budgets. That is why I shoot Canon presently.
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

The advantage of mirrorless at the moment for me, is that the cameras is smaller, lighter and easier to carry around. Thats about it for now.

I don't really go with that.  I've used mirrorless setups on land and underwater but by the time you add the extras you need like good lenses, flash, maybe grips (remember mirrorless has much worse battery life) you end up with a camera thats not a lot small and lighter than the DSLR equivalent would be.

Glass matters a lot more than the camera body itself (for lots of things).  Canon has the best quality high end glass by a mile with the L series.  That said, an old 350D isnt going to do a lot with fast moving sports or low light!  Landscapes is fine.
2018-9-3
Use props
TheRealMikeK
lvl.2
United States

i actually did notice the highlights to be a quite blown out on a few of my test images i shot with my MP2 before it crashed. Heres a full resolution image. This were shot at f/5.6 1/30s ISO 100. I also do photography full time as well.

2018-9-3
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

TheRealMikeK Posted at 2018-9-3 15:54
i actually did notice the highlights to be a quite blown out on a few of my test images i shot with my MP2 before it crashed. Heres a full resolution image. This were shot at f/5.6 1/30s ISO 100. I also do photography full time as well.

[view_image]

I'm afraid to ask how it crashed...
2018-9-3
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

this topic is fun to read ! let us know what dji says brilliant about that ticket! and also therealmikey : your m2p is gone already !!??
2018-9-3
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-3 04:12
I would probably go for mirrorless if it is definitely time for me to upgrade, like my cameras and lenses all got lost..... I own bags full of quality Canon glass, and they still give me excellent quality.

Been looking at the Canon-M50. Sweet little camera and not too big. Daughters starting her 4th year at 2ndary and taken Photography as one of her options. I have a Panasonic FZ1000 but it's a beast for her to carry around.
2018-9-3
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

i actually did notice the highlights to be a quite blown out on a few of my test images i shot with my MP2 before it crashed. Heres a full resolution image. This were shot at f/5.6 1/30s ISO 100. I also do photography full time as well.

[view_image]

Nice image though. Time will tell with the updates as they have already added some image improvement to the latest version.
2018-9-3
Use props
rikk08
Captain
Flight distance : 21877946 ft
  • >>>
Malta

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-2 10:56
Jeezz man, im taking the crap out of you.
[view_image]
I would say this is exposed perfectly.

That's one hell of a photo...I'll be there in about 20days (SUPER EXCITED!!!!!!)

Just wanted to say that gear doesn't matter as much, it's how you use it ;)
and also it's better to slightly underexpose than overexpose , that what I do with the mavic..
2018-9-3
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

i actually did notice the highlights to be a quite blown out on a few of my test images i shot with my MP2 before it crashed. Heres a full resolution image. This were shot at f/5.6 1/30s ISO 100. I also do photography full time as well.

[view_image]

Cool shot, good detail.

Have to say though, with a f of 5.6 (lots of light into the image), and ss of 1/30 (looong time for more light to hit the sensor), and probably the time of day is more towards too bright, than that golden or blue hour, it is not surprising that that waves is over exposed.
Personally, f11, ss around 50. Would rather under expose than overexpose the highlights.

Don,t think it is the drone, or software. Rather a set of conditions that lead to the whites been blown.
2018-9-3
Use props
TheRealMikeK
lvl.2
United States

Brilliant Miami Posted at 2018-9-3 17:11
I'm afraid to ask how it crashed...

it was my fault. i was filming a promo commercial for a company and got too close to a light post at a basketball court. i was going about 8 mph and the left to right obstacle avoidance never did anything. drone got destroyed but already sent it out for dji refresh
2018-9-4
Use props
TheRealMikeK
lvl.2
United States

Nicoricosancho Posted at 2018-9-3 19:13
this topic is fun to read ! let us know what dji says brilliant about that ticket! and also therealmikey : your m2p is gone already !!??

sadly it is. already off to dji for the refresh program. hopefully i get it back before my trip
2018-9-4
Use props
TheRealMikeK
lvl.2
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-3 23:30
Cool shot, good detail.

Have to say though, with a f of 5.6 (lots of light into the image), and ss of 1/30 (looong time for more light to hit the sensor), and probably the time of day is more towards too bright, than that golden or blue hour, it is not surprising that that waves is over exposed.

the image gets too soft at f/11. just like the p4p the sweet spot for sharpness for the MP2 seems to be at f/5.6.

This was shot at golden hour with the ev at 0. When my replacement comes in I'll do some same setting comparison test shots between the MP2 and the P4P
2018-9-4
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

TheRealMikeK Posted at 2018-9-4 11:13
the image gets too soft at f/11. just like the p4p the sweet spot for sharpness for the MP2 seems to be at f/5.6.

This was shot at golden hour with the ev at 0. When my replacement comes in I'll do some same setting comparison test shots between the MP2 and the P4P

Would like to see that.
Awesome detail and colors though. Only thing, like you mentioned, is the hot waves.
2018-9-4
Use props
TheRealMikeK
lvl.2
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-4 11:21
Would like to see that.
Awesome detail and colors though. Only thing, like you mentioned, is the hot waves.

thank you! heres the original raw exported to full res jpeg. had to do a lot of editing to get the highlights down. i even exposed for the top overblown part 0 ev
2018-9-4
Use props
Nicoricosancho
First Officer
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

TheRealMikeK Posted at 2018-9-4 11:10
sadly it is. already off to dji for the refresh program. hopefully i get it back before my trip [view_image]
[view_image]

this is intense crash right here or did it happen when not flying.. :S good thing you have replacement option..
2018-9-4
Use props
TheRealMikeK
lvl.2
United States

Nicoricosancho Posted at 2018-9-4 17:17
this is intense crash right here  or did it happen when not flying.. :S good thing you have replacement option..

happened while i was flying sadly. dji refresh is a must imo. just having that peace of mind is worth it alone
2018-9-5
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-2 02:18
Exactly - a phone is the worst thing possible to judge any sort of photo, colour, sharpness or exposure.

NONE are calibrated or profiled screens.  Most have a limited gamut.  Most over egg the saturation for a punchier feel and pretty much all are brighter than needed to cater for the fact they need to be seen in sunlight.

Wrong, the iPhone X and iPad Pro screens are DCI-P3 colour profile calibrated from the factory, and are as accurate as any calibrated desktop monitor.

I use both devices ALL the time to work on image editing, and when I bring my work back into my Mac, they are exactly the same calibration.

Lots of Android devices have over-saturated screens or crap colour science, but that's Android for you.

The image from the M2P seems to be exposed to the right a bit more than RAW images I've seen from the MP/MPP, and even my MA, but as long as it has the dynamic range of 14 stops, should be OK to recover those highlights in Lightroom, with even the Auto exposure system.
2018-9-5
Use props
EdisonW1979
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Brilliant Miami Posted at 2018-9-2 10:59
I never needed a histogram or a light meter.  It's freaking digital and Raw. I have made a living taking photos since 2001. I guess you do have the wrong idea.

Uh, buddy, your attitude kinda stinks, and the fact you don't even use a Histogram kinda shows you are not a pro, because a pro actually DOES use a Histogram (when available) to make sure they're not blowing out or under exposing their shots so they don't get pi$$y like you after the fact that their shot was ruined because they didn't know how to use their gear properly.
2018-9-5
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

TheRealMikeK Posted at 2018-9-4 11:08
it was my fault. i was filming a promo commercial for a company and got too close to a light post at a basketball court. i was going about 8 mph and the left to right obstacle avoidance never did anything. drone got destroyed but already sent it out for dji refresh

that sucks. hope u get it back soon
2018-9-6
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

TheRealMikeK Posted at 2018-9-4 11:13

I would have expected F8 to be the sweet spot... I will try a few different setups to try to avoid the softness I am getting as well.
2018-9-6
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

TheRealMikeK Posted at 2018-9-4 12:48
thank you! heres the original raw exported to full res jpeg. had to do a lot of editing to get the highlights down. i even exposed for the top overblown part 0 ev[view_image]

the greens are yellowish and over saturated. I had the same problem. It's easy to fix in Lightroom but I had more natural looking greens with my Mavic Pro Platinum...
2018-9-6
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-5 10:01
Wrong, the iPhone X and iPad Pro screens are DCI-P3 colour profile calibrated from the factory, and are as accurate as any calibrated desktop monitor.

I use both devices ALL the time to work on image editing, and when I bring my work back into my Mac, they are exactly the same calibration.

14 stops of DR? Are u sure? 14 Stops is DSLR DR. I didn't see any specifications that say it has 14 anywhere... Can u expand? Agreed with the iPhone.. I use an iPhone X and it is as accurate as it can get. That ls why I realize, like you said, that the M2P is exposing to the right. I have to underexpose now to try to save some of the highlights. thanks!
2018-9-6
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-5 10:06
Uh, buddy, your attitude kinda stinks, and the fact you don't even use a Histogram kinda shows you are not a pro, because a pro actually DOES use a Histogram (when available) to make sure they're not blowing out or under exposing their shots so they don't get pi$$y like you after the fact that their shot was ruined because they didn't know how to use their gear properly.

I am not even going to go there and explain myself. I will let Ken Rockwell say it for me...  
2018-9-6
Use props
AlansDronePics
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
United Kingdom

Perhaps this comment might be helpful.
My P3P in auto provides a clear image on my Samsung J7 and the resulting RAW and JPG are correctly exposed. I usually use the Zebra stripes as a guide, as well. Often on difficult shots I switch to manual and what I see as a good exposure is right for the image.
However, both my Mavic Pro became unreliable in this respect after an update, about a year ago. Before the update, it worked like the P3P. After, I had to flu and compose the image in an over exposed view on the J7 and then adjust the exposure before shooting. The image was impossible to see except for the brightest parts.
DJI suggested I reinstall the firmware (don't they always?) and reset all camera related settings. I did this, even on the settings that were correct. NB. A previous attempt where I changed only the incorrect settings didn't make any difference to the dark image problem.
With the reset, the image on the phone when flying and composing was much brighter and needed only slight exposure adjustment for the shots.

There isn't likely to be a camera fault, just differences in drones and settings.

I hope you find a way to overcome the problem. I have learned to live with mine.
2018-9-6
Use props
Chpouky
lvl.3

Brilliant Miami Posted at 2018-9-6 05:50
14 stops of DR? Are u sure? 14 Stops is DSLR DR. I didn't see any specifications that say it has 14 anywhere... Can u expand? Agreed with the iPhone.. I use an iPhone X and it is as accurate as it can get. That ls why I realize, like you said, that the M2P is exposing to the right. I have to underexpose now to try to save some of the highlights. thanks!

It was marketed as 14 stops. Can't remember where I saw it, but I guess you'll find after a quick search.
2018-9-6
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Its marketed as 14 stops with HDR... Very different.

An engineer who was involved with the development of the camera systems says on his blog about 11.5 - 12 stops

At base ISO, we have a solid 11.5-12 stops of usable DR; a bit more if you are careful with exposure and post processing. This is a noticeable improvement over the original Mavic, and given the way highlight rolloff has been tuned, quite close to what M4/3 delivers in practice.

2018-9-6
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Brilliant Miami Posted at 2018-9-6 05:52
I am not even going to go there and explain myself. I will let Ken Rockwell say it for me...  [view_image]

You do realise the second you mention Ken Rockwell everyone who knows anything at all about photography switches off and automatically assumes the complete opposite of what he says?
It kind of shows your experience level if you repost anything he says at all.
2018-9-6
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

AlansDronePics Posted at 2018-9-6 06:29
Perhaps this comment might be helpful.
My P3P in auto provides a clear image on my Samsung J7 and the resulting RAW and JPG are correctly exposed. I usually use the Zebra stripes as a guide, as well. Often on difficult shots I switch to manual and what I see as a good exposure is right for the image.
However, both my Mavic Pro became unreliable in this respect after an update, about a year ago. Before the update, it worked like the P3P. After, I had to flu and compose the image in an over exposed view on the J7 and then adjust the exposure before shooting. The image was impossible to see except for the brightest parts.

thank you. I will try to do some tests today. Finally it stopped raining. For me the difference is not as bad as your case but it is still different than what I see on the screen.
I will post some findings later
thanx
2018-9-6
Use props
Brilliant Miami
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

Chpouky Posted at 2018-9-6 06:34
It was marketed as 14 stops. Can't remember where I saw it, but I guess you'll find after a quick search.

doesn't look right. 14 stops is about what my Sony Alpha 7R III or my Canon 1DX have. I don't think a 1" sensor can do that.
2018-9-6
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules