Will the MAVIC 2 follow me up and down in follow me mode
4589 13 2018-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
kerim jaspersen
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Hello,

I have two new projects in mind and I need some help to decide if the MAVIC 2 could be the right tool for the job.

1. Uphill MTB: I have got a new powerful downhill ebike. It is capable of going uphill at great speed (around 20 mph). Will the drone be able to follow me along the inclining terain? It is important that the the drone changes altitude and follows me up the hill. Ideally if would stay level with me for around 3000 feet of inclining terrain.

2. Pargliding decent from a mountain: On this project I would need the drone to follow a paraglider autonomously from 3000 feet to 0. The speed would be not more than 40km/h (around 25 mph) and the decent rate is about 1.1 m/s and I would fly in close proximity to the terrain with my glider.

Does any one know if the MAVIC 2 can do that? I can not get any information about these specific tasks anywhere. Any one with experience in theses matters? Anyone I can contact? If yes I would buy it straight away.

Cheers,

Kerim
2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

New Mavic AT should follow you up and down, it obviously won’t go to zero , unless you want it to crash land, you should always be aware that AT may focus on something similar on decent so it is not 100% foolproof, it can operate at speeds up to 72kph but take that with a pinch of salt, it will be very much up to you as the controller to try to insure conditions are right for such activity, you would also need to have some control over the drone in case something doesn’t go right.
It is pretty good at tracking, but it’s going to have its limits, so if your looking for something that has to absolutely 100% work , then this may not be for you, if you want something that you can create the correct conditions and still have some control then yes I believe it’s the best technology out there at the moment.
2018-9-2
Use props
kerim jaspersen
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-2 03:45
New Mavic AT should follow you up and down, it obviously won’t go to zero , unless you want it to crash land, you should always be aware that AT may focus on something similar on decent so it is not 100% foolproof, it can operate at speeds up to 72kph but take that with a pinch of salt, it will be very much up to you as the controller to try to insure conditions are right for such activity, you would also need to have some control over the drone in case something doesn’t go right.
It is pretty good at tracking, but it’s going to have its limits, so if your looking for something that has to absolutely 100% work , then this may not be for you, if you want something that you can create the correct conditions and still have some control then yes I believe it’s the best technology out there at the moment.

Thank you so much for your reply.

You are right about the 0 feet of cause ;)

Speed: I have read that the speed in follow me mode is somewhat restricted in MAVIC, SPARK and PHANTOM. So the MAVIC Pro 2 can operate at faster speed even when tracking an object?

Altitude: I have also seen a skier disappearing or going from full size to ant size. The MAVIC followed the object but did not change altitude. At the end of the video the drone was very high and the skier was at the bottom of the hill and only a dot in the picture. For my projects I would like the drone close to me. I guess there are different follow me modes (visual based and signal based?).

Manual control in case of signal loss: For the first project (MTB) I could obviously stop and take over manual control at any time. For the second one, the flying bit, I would need the drone to meet me at the pre determined landing spot (and hover there) in case it looses me. I could take out the control and press a button, but I would not be able to manually fly the drone and the glider at the same time.

Cheers,

Kerim
2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

kerim jaspersen Posted at 2018-9-2 04:05
Thank you so much for your reply.

You are right about the 0 feet of cause ;)

Yes AT will follow you up and down at distance obviously if you are moving to fast it might lose you, also you have to turn off safe mode ie obstacle avoidance for AT to move quicker.
2018-9-2
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. You may use ActiveTrack for that. You can look in this link on how to use the ActiveTrack: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... r%20Manual_v1.0.pdf

2018-9-2
Use props
kerim jaspersen
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-2 07:47
Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. You may use ActiveTrack for that. You can look in this link on how to use the ActiveTrack: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/Mavic_2/20180827/Mavic%202%20Pro%20Zoom%20User%20Manual_v1.0.pdf
[view_image]

Thank you.

That sounds great. I think I will give it a try. 10 years ago I made a little film called 'Rush Hour Dream'

Obviously without DJI technology this was quite difficult to film and involved a lot of people (see paragliding scene starting at around 2:55).
I think now we are getting close to a place where we can do something like this almost on our own!

Cheers,

Kerim

2018-9-2
Use props
spicywith
New
Spain

Apparently because i'm a new member i'm not allowed to post a new thread? Hmm
2019-1-7
Use props
spicywith
New
Spain

Apparently because i'm a new member i'm not allowed to post a new thread? Hmm
2019-1-7
Use props
spicywith
New
Spain

The forum software is just god-awful. For some reason it only posts parts of my message and cut out my image. As I was saying. It's not letting me start a new thread because i'm new. So adding to this one instead. It also removed the picture i was attaching.

I wanted to try out Follow Me on my friend's Mavic 2 zoom because I want a drone that can follow me riding my motorcycle on off-road terrain - Active Track just doesn't work well enough. When trying to set it up, we just couldn't find it as an option in the menu - looked in every submenu. One interesting thing was that trying to set RTH to the controller it was giving an error about the GPS signal not being strong enough - wondering if it has something to do with that. Have read reports on the forum about Follow Me not working with iPhone 7's - this one was an 8 though.

Is Follow Me exclusive to the previous generation Mavic Pro? Has anyone been able to use it on a Mavic 2 Zoom or Pro?
2019-1-7
Use props
spicywith
New
Spain

2019-1-7
Use props
spicywith
New
Spain

There's supposed to be a picture above this post.
2019-1-7
Use props
andrewweaver
lvl.1

United Kingdom

CAN YOU USE FOLLOW ME ON THE MAVIC PRO 2 LIKE IN A PARK WERE THERE ARE TREES,  WILL IT BE SAFE WITH ALL THE SENSORS OR TO RISKY AS IT MIGHT CRASH IN A TREE OR BRANCH, SHOULD IT AVOID THESE SAFELY,  LET ME KNOW IF YOU CAN HELP. ANDREW
2019-1-15
Use props
flightlogicRV9
lvl.3
United States

From the way you describe your project, for a fair bit of time.... there will be no pilot in command, for the drone.
Two things are likely to result.  You will get caught at this.   And in the U.K. right now, they are not in the mood for drone activity that does not meet the letter of the law.
Second thing is, your drone is going to hit something, or someone.  That will get expensive and frustrating.
Why not just film someone else riding and gliding?  Or are you featured as the main star in all the productions? As well as pilot and cinematographer???
2019-1-15
Use props
Ralph H.
New

Germany

First of all, I want to say "Hello" to the community.
In my last vacation in Switzerland I tried to use the follow me mode while I was riding with my Snowboard a nice big hill downwards. My drone was able to follow me the first 100m. After this the drone stopped flying and hold his position in the air. After checking the video from my ride, I have seen, that the drone was able to follow me, but the drone was not able to fly downward (the drone kept the same hight/altitude). During this the distance between me and the drone was very high and my assumpotion is, that the drone lost me.
Is this a general problem or is this a setting problem, that the drone is not changing the altitude while using the follow me mode?. I am using the DJI smart controller RM500 to fly my drone.
I thank you very much in advance for support.

Best regards,
Ralph H.
3-21 02:34
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules