3260 120 2018-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

While watching YouTube today, I came across a MP2 video and 1st test flight. The guy took off from a landing pad on his drive, flew down the street a while and hit the return to home button. M2P turns round, comes home like a good drone and lands back on the landing pad from where it took off. It's front legs landed about 6-8 inches from the center of the pad and my god.......The outrage !!! MP2 does not currently have this precision landing feature. Now, sorry if I am missing something here but if you fly your drone lets say 1.5km away and hit return to home and it lands itself within 1m of the take off point, then surely that's a good result. Yes, I know that some situations require pin point accuracy when landing, but for the normal consumer who uses it to look at scenery, swans and other stuff, is it such a massive deal breaker.??? I only use RTH when I get the battery warning, wait till it's well within visual control and land it myself. I actually found myself smirking while scolling through some of the replies.....
I may regret asking this but - Thoughts ??? Don't shoot the messenger peeps.

2018-9-2
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

If they advertized it as having it, it should be there. If they did not say it have precision landing, don,t expect it to be there. Easy as that.

I would say precision landing, is just that, PRECISION landing, should be precise, otherwise it is just normal return to homepoint landing. To me, won,t make such a difference.
That being said, if i paid for it, it should be there, and precise. Much like i expect my gps to take me to the place i want to go, not the general area around the place.
Still awesome to know the little sh@$ts come home if you press that button.
2018-9-2
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-2 05:24
If they advertized it as having it, it should be there. If they did not say it have precision landing, don,t expect it to be there. Easy as that.

I would say precision landing, is just that, PRECISION landing, should be precise, otherwise it is just normal return to homepoint landing. To me, won,t make such a difference.

It's not on the MP2 at the moment. The hubbub in the replies is all about this has it, that has it but MP2 doesn't have it. DJI said it maybe included in a future update and this just threw people over the bridge. It maybe my sense of humour, as it made me laugh at how people can be.
2018-9-2
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-9-2 05:29
It's not on the MP2 at the moment. The hubbub in the replies is all about this has it, that has it but MP2 doesn't have it. DJI said it maybe included in a future update and this just threw people over the bridge. It maybe my sense of humour, as it made me laugh at how people can be.

You can say that again. Some people buy a pony, and expect it to be a racehorse. I have notice with DJI drones, that each and every one, have something that the others don,t have, from the smallest to the biggest. We should actually start a list, just for fun.
That might just be the selling point. If you want everything, buy every drone available.
2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I don’t know why you would regret it, in flying school we were thought to expect RTH to land within 3 metres of take off position and all should allow for this, ive seen the video and from the outset, his first flight took off from concrete drive very close to his house and even when drone was getting ready to land his attention was not to the drone but to his monitor, I believe his wife was the one who drew his attention to the fact that it was close to landing on the roof.
He was looking for precision landing yet we all know in order to have precision landing we must set and check it in the app, if he had of done this he would have realised it was not there (yet) , IMO it was a drone flown by a clown.
2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Many many threads on this already.
Ultimately if the RC breaks or stops working for any reason or the drone software has an issue where you can't communicate the precision landing is extremely useful.  Its the difference between a safe return and landing and a return followed by a potential crash into something.

Even the Spark had it !
2018-9-2
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-2 05:37
I don’t know why you would regret it, in flying school we were thought to expect RTH to land within 3 metres of take off position and all should allow for this, ive seen the video and from the outset, his first flight took off from concrete drive very close to his house and even when drone was getting ready to land his attention was not to the drone but to his monitor, I believe his wife was the one who drew his attention to the fact that it was close to landing on the roof.
He was looking for precision landing yet we all know in order to have precision landing we must set and check it in the app, if he had of done this he would have realised it was not there (yet) , IMO it was a drone flown by a clown.

That's the one. Bit of an old busy body by the looks. Funny replies though.
2018-9-2
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

If history repeats itself which it normally does, precision landing, color profiles and improved image quality will be added with future updates. This has been the case with practically ever other new product release from DJI..
2018-9-2
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-2 05:38
Many many threads on this already.
Ultimately if the RC breaks or stops working for any reason or the drone software has an issue where you can't communicate the precision landing is extremely useful.  Its the difference between a safe return and landing and a return followed by a potential crash into something.

Landing how it did without 6-8 inches from centre pad, it would argue little need for it. Wonder why they omitted it from the new fleet golden boy ??
2018-9-2
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-9-2 05:47
If history repeats itself which it normally does, precision landing, color profiles and improved image quality will be added with future updates. This has been the case with practically ever other new product release from DJI..

The owner of this particular video and his fellow unhappy bunnies will certainly hope so....Together with his wife.. The tech slaves have already released the image quality UD paired with a few other bits and bobs to improve her.
2018-9-2
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-2 05:35
You can say that again. Some people buy a pony, and expect it to be a racehorse. I have notice with DJI drones, that each and every one, have something that the others don,t have, from the smallest to the biggest. We should actually start a list, just for fun.
That might just be the selling point. If you want everything, buy every drone available.

But mines better than yours because I know everything about everything and always have done......LOL
2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-9-2 05:47

...and then you get people moaning about "all the updates".
2018-9-2
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. For now, Precision landing is not available for Mavic 2 series. Also, we don't have any information if when will it be added. We will keep you updated via website. Thank you for your understanding.
2018-9-2
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-2 07:07
Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. For now, Precision landing is not available for Mavic 2 series. Also, we don't have any information if when will it be added. We will keep you updated via website. Thank you for your understanding.

Thanks Wanda, but I knew this already. It's a post in general about a video on YouTube and not asking when or if it will be added in a FW UD. Looks like it didn't need it anyway due to a pretty accurate RTH demo. Guy's just jumping on the bash DJI bandwagon. I have a MA and am more than happy with it, even with FW version 4.
2018-9-2
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-9-2 07:34
Thanks Wanda, but I knew this already. It's a post in general about a video on YouTube and not asking when or if it will be added in a FW UD. Looks like it didn't need it anyway due to a pretty accurate RTH demo. Guy's just jumping on the bash DJI bandwagon. I have a MA and am more than happy with it, even with FW version 4.

I see. Thank you for the clarification and for your understanding.
2018-9-2
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-2 06:01
...and then you get people moaning about "all the updates".

Agree, I’ve flown my mavic Pro 2 with the David hasslehoff camera several times and could not be happier. Some just complain for the sake of hearing themselves complain......
2018-9-2
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Bill has a reply from DJI. Normal RTH works just fine apparently and WTH is up with that shirt.......a whinge about nothing ? No input from his wife today-
2018-9-3
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

At least DJI didn't say buy a bigger landing mat.
2018-9-3
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Kingram Posted at 2018-9-3 20:15
At least DJI didn't say buy a bigger landing mat.

Or stop being a.........No, that’s not fair on Bill. People like this amuse me. Bet he has ornaments in his garden.....
2018-9-3
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

My thoughts are this. Because there is such short landing gear, people prefer their Mavic to land right on the pad. Pads keep the props out of the tall grass etc. Nothing wrong with landing manually, but people don't want to lose the technology they had on an "upgrade"
2018-9-3
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-9-3 20:17
Or stop being a.........No, that’s not fair on Bill. People like this amuse me. Bet he has ornaments in his garden.....

You lost me , what the heck you talking about ?
2018-9-3
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Billdo
2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

For now, Precision landing is not available for Mavic 2 series.

Question: What is DJI's specifications on Mavic Pro 2's RTH (Return to Home) landing accuracy?

Restated Question:   If RTH is activiated, what is Maximum distance from recorded Home Point that Mavic Pro 2 will land?

2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

TrevorSK Posted at 2018-9-3 20:19
My thoughts are this. Because there is such short landing gear, people prefer their Mavic to land right on the pad. Pads keep the props out of the tall grass etc. Nothing wrong with landing manually, but people don't want to lose the technology they had on an "upgrade"

Along similar lines, owners of drones don't want their drones landing in dirt or sand, and having props kick-up dirt or sand.  Leading to damage to moving parts of drone (aka Camera Gimbal).  Nor do they want dirt or sand sucked into drone via intake vents from internal cooling fans.
2018-9-3
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-3 21:16
Along similar lines, owners of drones don't want their drones landing in dirt or sand, and having props kick-up dirt or sand.  Leading to damage to moving parts of drone (aka Camera Gimbal).  Nor do they want dirt or sand sucked into drone via intake vents from internal cooling fans.

Very good point. Sand or dirt can do a lot of minor damage, leading to major damage if repetitive.
2018-9-3
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-3 21:13

Question: What is DJI's specifications on Mavic Pro 2's RTH (Return to Home) landing accuracy?

I don't think it's a matter of massive importance to most pilots. The reported results are anywhere between 5 inches to 5 feet on most stuff i have read. DJI points to natural environment variables and distance from home point that can effect the RTH. Personally I only use it to get close enough to take control and land it where I want. A bit of a lazy option on my behalf after I have done what I need to do. In reference to reply 24 in this post - I can accept the points about dirt etc being kicked up, which is another reason why I land it myself to be sure. I suppose it's down to personal preference on how you land your craft. At least old Bill has an answer from DJI, however vague it may have been. Maybe.
2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

One other thing comes to mind.  Being DJI has removed Precision Landing from Mavic Pro 2, RTH to home (whether triggered by Pilot or Safeties or a Disconnect) is solely dependent on GPS for accurate landing.

Should Mavic Pro 2 be damaged while it is attempting a landing under RTH, will DJI cover crash under warranty should MP2 decide to land X-meters away in say a car crusher, a pond, or on power-lines, etc?
2018-9-3
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-3 21:13

Question: What is DJI's specifications on Mavic Pro 2's RTH (Return to Home) landing accuracy?

There are no specs in the manual that state how accurate it will be when landing in RTH mode. So Bill has no official manual figures to measure against. The distance, well as long as you have the battery to get back then how long is a piece of string ?? Unless it gets to battery critical then it just over rides everything and lands. A good example of people expecting the drone to land exactly where it took off from with nothing to measure against. If the manual stated it will land within - X inches, X cm or miles away from take off point then so be it.......
2018-9-3
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-3 22:43
One other thing comes to mind.  Being DJI has removed Precision Landing from Mavic Pro 2, RTH to home (whether triggered by Pilot or Safeties or a Disconnect) is solely dependent on GPS for accurate landing.

Should Mavic Pro 2 be damaged while it is attempting a landing under RTH, will DJI cover crash under warranty should MP2 decide to land X-meters away in say a car crusher, a pond, or on power-lines, etc?

That will probably depend on examination of the flight logs. If there was any pilot input during the RTH process then no. The power line question has been on here already and I doubt there are any drones on the market that can successfully detect and avoid power lines. During RTH, obstacles to either side of the craft cannot be detected. Forward and rear sensors only.
2018-9-3
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You got it......
2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-9-3 22:36
I don't think it's a matter of massive importance to most pilots. The reported results are anywhere between 5 inches to 5 feet on most stuff i have read. DJI points to natural environment variables and distance from home point that can effect the RTH. Personally I only use it to get close enough to take control and land it where I want. A bit of a lazy option on my behalf after I have done what I need to do. In reference to reply 24 in this post - I can accept the points about dirt etc being kicked up, which is another reason why I land it myself to be sure. I suppose it's down to personal preference on how you land your craft. At least old Bill has an answer from DJI, however vague it may have been. Maybe.

When I have been able to fly my Mavic Pro P, I normally (but not always) fly MPp back and landed it manually.
On two recent occasions, thanks to problems with RC disconneting from SmartDevice (and refusing to reconnect), MPp flew back via triggered RTH from me trying a RC reboot.
Even though I was in open flat area (roughly 90-feet by 90-feet), I was still glad MPp did have Precision landing.  MPp set down nearly on top of take off spot, as expected.

For now, in case there is a RTH fully automated landing, and GPS accuracy is off more than normal (as warned by DJI); I would suggest pilots fying Mavic 2 need to plan on taking off from  areas larger than they previously have.  (Seen a few videos of some pretty  small areas being used.)

2018-9-3
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-3 23:12
When I have been able to fly my Mavic Pro P, I normally (but not always) fly MPp back and landed it manually.
On two recent occasions, thanks to problems with RC disconneting from SmartDevice (and refusing to reconnect), MPp flew back via triggered RTH from me trying a RC reboot.
Even though I was in open flat area (roughly 90-feet by 90-feet), I was still glad MPp did have Precision landing.  MPp set down nearly on top of take off spot, as expected.

In agreement there. The initial take off point was on old Bill's driveway, next to his property. Not ideal in any residential built up area where interference is at it's maximum.
2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-9-3 22:50
There are no specs in the manual that state how accurate it will be when landing in RTH mode. So Bill has no official manual figures to measure against. The distance, well as long as you have the battery to get back then how long is a piece of string ?? Unless it gets to battery critical then it just over rides everything and lands. A good example of people expecting the drone to land exactly where it took off from with nothing to measure against. If the manual stated it will land within - X inches, X cm or miles away from take off point then so be it.......

Still believe it as a valid question for DJI to answer.

As for measuring distance, no string needed.  Pace it off!  

2018-9-3
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-3 23:17
Still believe it as a valid question for DJI to answer.

As for measuring distance, no string needed.  Pace it off!

True. They have, be it in a vague way. Might do, might not, maybe later. Seems like we maybe seeing more of old Bill and his MP2. Think that kind of wraps it up. Thanks for all the input guys and gals.
2018-9-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-3 23:12
Even though I was in open flat area (roughly 90-feet by 90-feet), I was still glad MPp did have Precision landing.  MPp set down nearly on top of take off spot, as expected.

There you go again creating more hysteria, you only experience with dji aircraft is with Mavic Pro or P, how do you think users of other dji aircraft managed without precision landing.
Answer not a problem at all, and no reports of aircraft landing on roofs or in other fields down at the supermarket.
I have flown P4 for two years RTH landing is always without fail within a couple of feet, in fact in the rules for my country and in the new rules being put forward by EASA you must have clearance of 3 metres when taking off and 5 metres when landing.
I have tested RTH with M2 and couldn’t get it to land further than 8 inches from take off, I have seen and witnessed many aircraft with precision landing land a lot further away.
Maybe you will show us a case of craft without precision landing land in another field or on a roof or in someone else’s property.
Giving yourself a minimum of 3 metres is not only correct but safe and taken off from an area with 3 metres clearance is a minimum anyone flying safe should allow, if some choose to take off from balcony or right next to a building wall or other obstruction , it won’t matter whether they have precision landing or not, we have seen some right here on this forum flying from balconies or flying from inside hotel rooms and it nearly always ends in disaster, and if it does nothing but stop this practice then both public and property will be a lot better off.
If gps is off or not working correctly it won’t matter whether you have precision landing or not as RTH depends on gps to get home and land.
When you fly a craft without precision landing you will realise how accurate and dependable it really is, until then all you are doing is trying to be the fly in the ointment.
Remember many of us have flown without precision landing and know how accurate it is, we all should be aware whether we have precision landing or not that RTH is still the responsibility of the pilot to insure that the aircraft has enough room for landing safely, and controller should always be on hand to insure safe landing.
2018-9-4
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Thats great.  If the controller works and can contact the RC.
2018-9-4
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

If DJI is not planning to add Precision landing to the M2 series, then what is with all of the sensors and lights on the bottom of the copter?
2018-9-4
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-9-2 09:26
Agree, I’ve flown my mavic Pro 2 with the David hasslehoff camera several times and could not be happier. Some just complain for the sake of hearing themselves complain......

Don't hassle the hoff while I am flying.
2018-9-4
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Maxi3D Posted at 2018-9-4 05:45
If DJI is not planning to add Precision landing to the M2 series, then what is with all of the sensors and lights on the bottom of the copter?

Hi. I'm sorry but we didn't say that our engineers is not planning to add Precision Landing. We just don't have the confirmation coming from them if it will be added or not. We will keep you updated via website.
2018-9-4
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-4 05:49
Hi. I'm sorry but we didn't say that our engineers is not planning to add Precision Landing. We just don't have the confirmation coming from them if it will be added or not. We will keep you updated via website.

OK, thanks, Wanda. Hopefully, this issue and others will be resolved by the end of the year when I  place my M2 order.
2018-9-4
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules