Precision Landing Feature Missing ??
3280 103 2018-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

After re-reading Hallmark007's posts such as:
''landing your drone, is carried correctly by flying drone either backwards or forwards and down , this prevents a problem known as propwash''
''Because people like you don’t know how to land a drone. So no distracting most pilots will already know this.''
''I’ve already told you how RTH is working what is it you don’t get,  people are flying P4 everyday without any problems and have been doing  for two and a half years no problems''
''in flying school we were thought to expect RTH to land within 3 metres of take off position and all should allow for this,''
''I have flown P4 for two years RTH landing is always without fail within a couple of feet''
''I suggest you go to flying school and learn how to land your craft,''

And factoring in Captain Hallmark007's statements and stats about
- having U.K. (European?) equiv of FAA Part-107
- being certified commericial drone pilot
- having racked up flight distance of 942,383
- own something like seven (or more) drones
- having years and years of flying experience

I think I understand the problem now.  I (and I believe others) were under mistaken impression about Mavic Pro 2.  Based on Captain Hallmark007's posts and statements, to own and Pilot a Mavic Pro 2 - you need to have years of flying experience, tens of thousands of meters of flight distance, know about things like Prop wash and Bernoulli effect, taken and passed flight school classes, understand terms like Sink, Gone Tech, Dead Air, George, AGL, have Part-107 (or equiv), and be a licensed proffesional commericial drone pilot.

I came to my views (and I believe few others to) under mistaken impression that Mavic Pro 2 was being targeted at and sold to consumers or general public and drone enthusiasts.  Thus, I owe Captain Hallmark007 an appology.  

So - Sorry Captain Hallmark007; I now understand now Mavic Pro 2 is strictly for Professional certified and highly experienced Pilots.

2018-9-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-4 12:17
Because of the debate I tested myself during the maiden flight today. Below you can see where it landed and I can swear that I have not interfered at all. This was just one one try of course and I shall further test. But if it remains in similar proximity I can well live with it since I normally land manually anyway. I have the impression that many pilots just auto start and fly off instead of going sufficiently high (7-8) meters and hover for a few seconds to allow bottom camera(s) a proper recording of the location.

You might be needing a bigger pad, thanks for the test, I have just come in from testing in the dark Mavic Air , Pro , M2P and P4Pro, all missed by inches landing spot P4Pro missed by a metre.
2018-9-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Because of the debate I tested myself during the maiden flight today. Below you can see where it landed and I can swear that I have not interfered at all. This was just one one try of course and I shall further test. But if it remains in similar proximity I can well live with it since I normally land manually anyway. I have the impression that many pilots just auto start and fly off instead of going sufficiently high (7-8) meters and hover for a few seconds to allow bottom camera(s) a proper recording of the location.

What did you think ?
2018-9-4
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Were going to need a bigger landing pad.    I hear dji now calls it fairly  close landing, lol
2018-9-4
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

All first impressions are just fantastic. No problems at all!
2018-9-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Kingram Posted at 2018-9-4 12:26
Were going to need a bigger landing pad.    I hear dji now calls it fairly  close landing, lol

You mean like Trampolines?
2018-9-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-4 10:43
Hallmark, I think you are the King of Obfuscation. You didn't seem to get the memo from the Enterprise folks that everyone else did re: the "no plans to restore precision landing"? And the

"Lens correction is the same as the i2 in prores, it has no lens correction. On the m2 in dlog-m or HDR you will have to correct in post.. the addtional processing overhead is used for the 10bit color profile / HDR processing."

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 775&pid=1547064

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 802&pid=1547056

You might want to check what engineers are saying here, it seriously contradicts what your spreading.
2018-9-4
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Kingram Posted at 2018-9-4 12:26
Were going to need a bigger landing pad.    I hear dji now calls it fairly  close landing, lol

This landing pad is more than large enough for me at least ;-) Landing manually on there no issue at all, and this it what I usually do. RTH is mainly an emergency function to bring the aircraft back near to you and let you get it back under control. If for some reason I can't regain control (e.g. RC not functioning) this proximity of landing is more than sufficient to have it land safely at the homepoint (of course the homepoint should be a safe place, but that is pilot's choice).
2018-9-4
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>

Dude, I second and third and fourth that!

A lot of cry babies out here
2018-9-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-4 12:37
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=164775&pid=1547064

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=164802&pid=1547056

Great they are working on it.
Q: Where have we heard such before?

Without a specific Target date given and committed too, it is known in Tech industry as Vaporware.
2018-9-4
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

Since it won't land on my landing pad anymore I now just land on our Trampoline  
2018-9-4
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

Seriously now,  I just went back and looked at the DJI live event  and at the 24:48 minute mark  he talks about   " Ensures High  Precision Landing "

2018-9-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-4 12:42
Great they are working on it.
Q: Where have we heard such before?

Oh right, so have you ever seen dji give a date for FW updates or a date for any fix, if they said it would be fixed on Friday and it wasn’t, then we all could have a Field day.
If you ever had to deal with Camera particularly Cannon and Panasonic you will find they tell you when it’s fixed, must be a tech thing.
2018-9-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-4 11:39
Many people find it useful as evidenced by the youtube videos here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h08r_4RplI&t=26s[/url]and here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTvRr2KBU50[/url](see the comments). Also the many comments and DJI rep agreement with them herehttps://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?3123879-Official-DJI-Mavic-2-***Owner-Thread***/page103[/url]  Notwithstanding the multiple threads on the forums here. Clearly there is a strong desire for this feature to not have been removed by many people, even if Hallmark is degrading to them.

Aye Captain, Fairly Close Landing Enabled.

Link to from here: RTH Precision Landing
2018-9-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Kingram Posted at 2018-9-4 12:49
Seriously now,  I just went back and looked at the DJI live event  and at the 24:48 minute mark  he talks about   " Ensures High  Precision Landing "

What DJI's presenter meant was - New Downward LED Light enables a Professional Commercial Drone Pilot to make Highly Precise JoyStick Landings in low light conditions.
2018-9-4
Use props
Thriller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-4 12:38
This landing pad is more than large enough for me at least ;-) Landing manually on there no issue at all, and this it what I usually do. RTH is mainly an emergency function to bring the aircraft back near to you and let you get it back under control. If for some reason I can't regain control (e.g. RC not functioning) this proximity of landing is more than sufficient to have it land safely at the homepoint (of course the homepoint should be a safe place, but that is pilot's choice).

I agree with you. I think I don't really need a pad to land... Some € saved
2018-9-4
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

I think the LED light just allows to more accurately determine where its crashed.
2018-9-4
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

Thriller Posted at 2018-9-4 13:03
I agree with you. I think I don't really need a pad to land... Some € saved

A landing pad is very useful for dusty or otherwise dirty undergrounds as well as in higher grass. I wouldn't want to miss it.
2018-9-4
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-4 12:51
Oh right, so have you ever seen dji give a date for FW updates or a date for any fix, if they said it would be fixed on Friday and it wasn’t, then we all could have a Field day.
If you ever had to deal with Camera particularly Cannon and Panasonic you will find they tell you when it’s fixed, must be a tech thing.

Vaporware is a Tech term.  Last time I checked Cannon and Panasonic were Tech companies making Techie products.
Perhaps DJI should start providing Target dates.  The vagueness is wearing out.
2018-9-4
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-4 13:06
A landing pad is very useful for dusty or otherwise dirty undergrounds as well as in higher grass. I wouldn't want to miss it.

May as well just hand launch and catch now.

The only reason i used the ground takeoff was for a precision landing fix.
2018-9-4
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

I really miss the precision landing.   It was part of the whole technological wonder package that I enjoyed.   So far it's the single biggest disappointment with this drone.   Everything else is fantastic.
2018-9-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-4 12:18
After re-reading Hallmark007's posts such as:
''landing your drone, is carried correctly by flying drone either backwards or forwards and down , this prevents a problem known as propwash''
''Because people like you don’t know how to land a drone. So no distracting most pilots will already know this.''

All drones I own are flown as and for my hobby, with exception of P4Pro which I use for commercial work, mostly community based and I belong to a SAR group.
I fly part time commercially for a UK company surveying wind turbines, or basically taking photos , I don’t process them this is all done in house using companies software, I use their equipment to carry out survey.
It’s very much a part time contract work, and it’s not my full time profession, which is a Goldsmith, far removed from flying drones, and that’s me, so no need to be spreading anything else that is not true.
2018-9-4
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

Im not really missing this feature. It was more like a trick to impress friends and family lol. I never ever use the RTH feat, I always fly it back by hand. I hand launch and catch almost every time. I have been doing it for almost 2 years without any issues .
I do understand that some of you need it or want it, and thats ok.
2018-9-28
Use props
Serratus
lvl.1
Norway

They just confirmed that they will be adding it! I think it's great that it will be available for emergencies,or just to show off
2018-9-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules