Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
RTH Precision Landing
12Next >
4090 57 2018-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Yraegel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1411811 ft
United States

I'm hoping this is an upcoming firmware update and not a refurbished replacement drone? Documentation is vague about precision landing. Orange circle, A.K.A. takeoff point. My drone did a nice job trimming the weeds and landed where it sits. The first time I tested, it stopped around 6 feet and asked if I wanted to continue. I manually landed on the concrete that time. Yesterday it tried to land on the roof.

Landing1.jpg
2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Look on the bright side, this new feature means you wont have to buy a landing pad as it'll never find it.

....or you need to buy one 30ft across instead.
2018-9-2
Use props
Yraegel
lvl.4
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-2 13:54
Look on the bright side, this new feature means you wont have to buy a landing pad as it'll never find it.

....or you need to buy one 30ft across instead.

Not to mention what I can save on trimming the grass.
2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Looking at where you took off from, right on top of concrete, I’d say precision landing is the least of your worries, all that grass and you decide to take off from concrete.
If you choose to read the manual you will read not to take off around concrete construction and only use RTH in emergency situations.
2018-9-2
Use props
Mullheliflier
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12305135 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have found my RTH accuracy varying a bit lately. I think it could be down to the number of satellites locked at take off. I find the nearer I get to 20, the more accurate my RTH is. I have been waiting now for the maximum number of satellites to be locked, whereas before I took off as soon as I got the green light.
2018-9-2
Use props
Yraegel
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-2 13:56
Looking at where you took off from, right on top of concrete, I’d say precision landing is the least of your worries, all that grass and you decide to take off from concrete.

Not sure I understand. The rear propellers are sitting in the grass making it unsuitable for taking off. It's pretty easy to land manually. My Mavic Pro nails the circle every time regardless of surroundings.
2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Yraegel Posted at 2018-9-2 13:58
Not sure I understand. The rear propellers are buried in the grass making it unsuitable for taking off. It's pretty easy to land manually. My Mavic Pro nails the circle every time regardless of surroundings.

Again read your manual don’t take off around concrete constructions like you did, and only use RTH in emergency.
I’m sure it wouldn’t take much to place your pad on the grass thus avoiding possibility of interference to your compass , your pad won’t save you from that.
2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Mullheliflier Posted at 2018-9-2 13:58
I have found my RTH accuracy varying a bit lately. I think it could be down to the number of satellites locked at take off. I find the nearer I get to 20, the more accurate my RTH is. I have been waiting now for the maximum number of satellites to be locked, whereas before I took off as soon as I got the green light.

Satellites wont help fix this, DJI removed precision landing which uses the downward cameras to get it within inches.  Without that you're on GPS accuracy which on a good day is about 10ft, a bad day, twice that.
2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Yraegel Posted at 2018-9-2 13:58
Not sure I understand. The rear propellers are sitting in the grass making it unsuitable for taking off. It's pretty easy to land manually. My Mavic Pro nails the circle every time regardless of surroundings.

Concrete is fine as long as theres no rebar in it.  

You wont get it to hit that landing pad EVER at the moment - the drone lacks precision landing.
2018-9-2
Use props
Yraegel
lvl.4
United States

Mullheliflier Posted at 2018-9-2 13:58

The Mavic Pro takes a picture of the landing spot. It then returns to the general vicinity with GPS and lands using the image. That's my understanding at least and my results have been impressive. Nice party trick, press a button and the drone lands on a dot.
2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

So does the spark, the air, the platinum.  All the previous ones did.
2018-9-2
Use props
Yraegel
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-2 13:56
If you choose to read the manual you will read not to take off around concrete construction and only use RTH in emergency situations.

There is no concrete construction near me. I'm taking of from a concrete deck in the back yard. Flown the Mavic Pro here for almost two years. Taking off and landing from concrete isn't an issue. Concrete buildings, bridges, whatever, are. Anything that could interfere with the signal. Putting the landing pad in the grass is an idea but if the drone is slightly off when landing it could dip the props into the grass.
2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Yraegel Posted at 2018-9-2 14:29
There is no concrete construction near me. I'm taking of from a concrete deck in the back yard. Flown the Mavic Pro here for almost two years. Taking off and landing from concrete isn't an issue. Concrete buildings, bridges, whatever, are. Anything that could interfere with the signal. Putting the landing pad in the grass is an idea but if the drone is slightly off when landing it could dip the props into the grass.

Then control it, how do you think people managed to land their drones before precision landing, whether you have precision landing or not you should always allow at least 3 metres 10 ft room for landing, and hopefully precision landing will come with FW update.
2018-9-2
Use props
Yraegel
lvl.4
United States

There are no problems taking off from a concrete surface, asphalt, dirt, grass or whatever. I've read the manual multiple times. I can land it easily where I want. These drones are highly intelligent and I am simply testing the automatic landing feature. My Mavic Pro hits the landing pad 95% of the time. I do not rely on it as a way to safely retrieve it. With practice, anyone can easily land the drone manually wherever they need or want with all sensors disabled. If DJI is stating that you cannot operate the drone anywhere near concrete, then what's the use? How can anyone take the hyperlapse videos in their tutorial? How can anyone in an urban environment use a drone? I can't believe I have to find a grassy, cushioned area to take off and land, I've never read that. You cannot even calibrate the gimbal if you're not on level, solid ground. You have to be able to takeoff from the same location.
2018-9-2
Use props
Yraegel
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-2 14:37
Then control it, how do you think people managed to land their drones before precision landing, whether you have precision landing or not you should always allow at least 3 metres 10 ft room for landing, and hopefully precision landing will come with FW update.

Seriously?
2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Yraegel Posted at 2018-9-2 14:46
There are no problems taking off from a concrete surface, asphalt, dirt, grass or whatever. I've read the manual multiple times. I can land it easily where I want. These drones are highly intelligent and I am simply testing the automatic landing feature. My Mavic Pro hits the landing pad 95% of the time. I do not rely on it as a way to safely retrieve it. With practice, anyone can easily land the drone manually wherever they need or want with all sensors disabled. If DJI is stating that you cannot operate the drone anywhere near concrete, then what's the use? How can anyone take the hyperlapse videos in their tutorial? How can anyone in an urban environment use a drone? I can't believe I have to find a grassy, cushioned area to take off and land, I've never read that. You cannot even calibrate the gimbal if you're not on level, solid ground. You have to be able to takeoff from the same location.

Your Mavic Pro doesn’t have precision landing , you would know this from setting up your aircraft before you flew, you can land manually with sensors off or on , on would be better and safer.
But without getting discussion out of context look at video below it will explain taking off from concrete, and it is by far the biggest cause of compass problems bar none in these drones.

2018-9-2
Use props
Yraegel
lvl.4
United States

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-2 14:58
Hallmark doesn’t seem to realize that DJI may have disappointed some people by inexplicably removing a feature on all their other drones.

It’s almost as if he would say, “Who cares about barrel distortion, you should learn to fix it in post!”

Hallmark is hellbent on proving a point while missing the point.
2018-9-2
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-2 15:07
Precisely. There is nothing inherently wrong with concrete or asphalt. And secondly,
There is no known reason to remove precision RTH, color profiles, and have barrel distortion. Hallmark is definitely proving something- unfortunately for him it’s not what he is intending to prove.

I'm pretty sure the lights are to keep position when it loses sats. The old mavic would drop into opti mode and use the floor to keep position. Problem was without a flashlight on the floor or a well lighted room, it didn't work. It's kind of amazing to me everyone doesn't hand launch these things by now
2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-2 14:58
Hallmark doesn’t seem to realize that DJI may have disappointed some people by inexplicably removing a feature on all their other drones.

It’s almost as if he would say, “Who cares about barrel distortion, you should learn to fix it in post!”

First it’s not a feature on all their drones, and it has already been said on this forum it would be introduced in further FW update.
Your comment about barrel distortion is both ridiculous and has no part in this thread, also you seem to saying that it’s ok to take off from concrete, but not concrete with rebar, how are we supposed to know if the concrete has rebar or electrical wires buried beneath the concrete, maybe take a look at the video.
2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Precisely. There is nothing inherently wrong with concrete or asphalt. And secondly,
There is no known reason to remove precision RTH, color profiles, and have barrel distortion. Hallmark is definitely proving something- unfortunately for him it’s not what he is intending to prove.

Colour profiles were an added addition to Mavic Pro as was quickshots course lock and many other improvements in safety came with FW updates, as you are probably aware. And I believe it will be no different with M2.
2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Now your being completely ridiculous , I can see all the engineers gathered around , “what shall we Have LED lights or precision landing, and you quote like you know, so mr know it all tell us how you know dji said and done this, you seem to be fond of asking others for info, so go first tell us how you know this is how it played out.
2018-9-2
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

The Mavic 2 doesn't seem to have precision landing as of yet. This problem happens with most DJI drones that initially get released. Believe it or not, the current original Mavic Pro was a completely different drone when it first came out. Now after 2 years, it has been for most part almost completely perfected for its flying ability. DJI is making everybody be patient who purchased the new Mavic 2, it may take some time but eventually the Mavic 2 will land much more accurately. BTW: Do you really need the rocks to hold down the landing pad? What happens if the Mavic 2 lands slightly close to the rocks or its propellers accidentally come into contact with those rocks?
2018-9-2
Use props
mavpronu
lvl.3
Flight distance : 619308 ft

Yraegel Posted at 2018-9-2 14:13
The Mavic Pro takes a picture of the landing spot. It then returns to the general vicinity with GPS and lands using the image. That's my understanding at least and my results have been impressive. Nice party trick, press a button and the drone lands on a dot.

that's correct
2018-9-2
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-2 15:56
Please look up the definition of the word “facetious”.
Also, please show where you claim DJI said it would be restored in firmware.

Your flippancy was also not recognized by post 21 .
2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-2 15:16
First it’s not a feature on all their drones, and it has already been said on this forum it would be introduced in further FW update.
Your comment about barrel distortion is both ridiculous and has no part in this thread, also you seem to saying that it’s ok to take off from concrete, but not concrete with rebar, how are we supposed to know if the concrete has rebar or electrical wires buried beneath the concrete, maybe take a look at the video.

They haven't made any such claim about it being included.

And this isnt a rebar or electrical issue - its landing there because the feature that allowed more precise navigation no longer exists.  Nothing to do with concrete.

And manual is great - IF you can still communicate and talk to your drone.  Which isn't always the case.
2018-9-2
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Hmm.  Im somewhat doubtful of this when the Phantom 4 Pro (ie professional) has precision landing.

2018-9-3
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yraegel Posted at 2018-9-2 14:29

There’s no need for rebar in the construction of a concrete patio but their is wire screen laid down before concrete is poured. It’s in all concrete patios, sidewalks, etc.,etc. so it’s not a good idea to take off from this type of surface because of interference...
2018-9-3
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-2 13:54
Look on the bright side, this new feature means you wont have to buy a landing pad as it'll never find it.

....or you need to buy one 30ft across instead.

You are so funny. I should start using the MA to cut my grass......
2018-9-3
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

There is iron ore in the very earth we walk on...........
Do not take off from earth.
2018-9-3
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

Don’t worry about hallmark, he’s the biggest troll with the tiniest brain.  “Durrrr but teh concrete make it no work”
2018-9-3
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-9-3 02:38
There’s no need for rebar in the construction of a concrete patio but their is wire screen laid down before concrete is poured. It’s in all concrete patios, sidewalks, etc.,etc. so it’s not a good idea to take off from this type of surface because of interference...

And that makes it land in the wrong spot?

SsshhhhhhWOOOSSSSHHHHH

The sound of the entire topic flying over your head.
2018-9-3
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-3 01:19
Hmm.  Im somewhat doubtful of this when the Phantom 4 Pro (ie professional) has precision landing.

I would agree with you.
Precision landing was also added to my P4, along with some other goodies in the form of additional intelligent flight modes. So it seems feasible that additional functionality could be added to the Mavic Pro 2 and its sibling.

What was added to P4 with firmware update:-

• Added Gesture, Draw, Terrain Follow, and Tripod as Intelligent Flight Modes, as well as Trace and Profile sub-modes for ActiveTrack and a Free sub-mode for TapFly.
• Optimized Smart Return to Home, added Landing Protection, and Precision Landing.

So in terms of processing power it is likely that the Mavic Pro 2 & Co are probably quite capable.
2018-9-3
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Jeff7577 Posted at 2018-9-3 05:05
And that makes it land in the wrong spot?

SsshhhhhhWOOOSSSSHHHHH

Don’t take off from concrete surfaces and don’t hand catch, if you want to learn, I will teach you my young padawan...
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Its possible they completely misjudged the market for it and will rethink that policy.
2018-9-3
Use props
Alex Batalov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-3 06:24
FYI both BladeStrike and Tahoe Ed (DJI Employees) are on RC groups and shared their direct communications with the developers this AM.

Unfortunately it is not good news. In spite of disappointment, here’s the quote verbatim:

Unfortunatelly if it’s removed in such a way that without physically modifying the drone it can’t be added, then mavic 2 will stay without precision landing

Fly safe.
Alex.
2018-9-3
Use props
Alex Batalov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

But I always fly back myself now,
It can be useful anyway,
In case of a remote failure for example and then the RTH procedure can’t be canceled.
There are more examples.

Safe flying.
Alex.
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

That likely depends if it only used optical sensors or if it used ultrasound too.  Ultrasound got removed.

It has the capability for it - its already got optical flow for stability and position keeping built in.  That could be modified for precision landing if required.
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

They'll prioritise the D-log bug because (i) its a bug as opposed to a feature and (ii) the M2Pro main selling point is the camera and this is a fairly critical flaw with it.  Its also fairly easily fixable as "normal" profile already fixes it so most likely a missing line of code.

Precision landing is *probably* possible but might require a rewrite from the ground up if its an all new sensor suite.  They may not have the resources to dedicate to that.  It'll get a much lower priority.

The drone was clearly released before the software was ready hence the manual status listing things like "Course lock, Home lock" along with "Coming Soon - waypoints".  It looks like it was put too soon and they'll finish it later.
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Where is the official statement about the barrel distortion? I've looked in several of the threads and cant see it.
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

I can find a post about why no *colour profiles* but no mention of the barrel distortion unless im missing it?
A link would be helpful. I'd be stunned if they ignored it.
2018-9-3
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules