RTH Precision Landing
4094 57 2018-9-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

OK useful.  In which case then, where is the lens correction profile for premiere and others?  All the other drones including I2 are there...
While they're at it, where's the LUT ?!
2018-9-3
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-3 07:51
No. DJI knows best. And they have explained things. Clearly you haven’t read their posts. They also explained what is going on with the DLOG issue- it is using the processing power for 10bit, not software barrel distortion correction. And DJI says Dlog has to be corrected in post anyway, so the barrel distortion is the trade off they made- just like the I2.

But you think you know best, so be it.

My Gosh give it a rest  you don't have to always be right . State what you know and let it go.
2018-9-3
Use props
Bing Err
Captain
Flight distance : 9249964 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yraegel Posted at 2018-9-2 13:58
Not sure I understand. The rear propellers are sitting in the grass making it unsuitable for taking off. It's pretty easy to land manually. My Mavic Pro nails the circle every time regardless of surroundings.

Concrete contains metal rebar and will mess with your compass and GPS signal. I'm surprised the drone didn't give you any errors on takeoff. Also, I do agree that RTH should only be used in case of emergency, but if you were just testing how close RTH gets to it's starting point then that's acceptable just for experiementing with capablility of your drone. Too many people fly with compass and GPS errors and then are surprised when they hit the RTH button and their drone flies away. If your compass and GPS are not functioning properly then the drone has absolutely no idea where to "Go Home" on it's own.
EDIT: This is Mavic 2 right? Maybe the sensors (GPS and compass) are better/worse then the Mavic Air? I'm not sure since I haven't pulled the trigger yet. Still waiting on comparisons and how buggy the software is. Any major problems so far?
2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Yraegel Posted at 2018-9-2 13:55
Not to mention what I can save on trimming the grass.

Careful, you are cutting into my turf.  I do hedges and Grass.  
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

A problem with the mavic is its so low to the ground *most* surfaces are unsuitable for takeoff and landing.

Unless you have REALLY short grass or a car park completely brushed of rocks theres a chance any small bits of debris can hit the props.  Even weeds sticking out of paving stones.
2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-9-3 02:38
There’s no need for rebar in the construction of a concrete patio but their is wire screen laid down before concrete is poured. It’s in all concrete patios, sidewalks, etc.,etc. so it’s not a good idea to take off from this type of surface because of interference...

it’s not a good idea to take off from this type of surface because of interference

Not a good idea, but idea is not set in concrete...

If you are going to take off from concrete area, like poured sidewalk or patio - pilot really needs to check for Magnetic Interference.  

Checking that drone's compass does not  change direction as drone is lifted from sitting on surface to two-meters high, while keeping nose of drone pointing same way.   

Along with checking Compass(es) bars for magnetic interference via GO-4's Drone / Advanced Menu / IMU - Compass sensor sub-sub menu.  Or using one of SmartPhone Apps that show magnetic interference by combined magnitude of SmartPhone's XYZ magnetic field sensors.

2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-3 10:38
A problem with the mavic is its so low to the ground *most* surfaces are unsuitable for takeoff and landing.

Unless you have REALLY short grass or a car park completely brushed of rocks theres a chance any small bits of debris can hit the props.  Even weeds sticking out of paving stones.

Exactly.  All it takes on landing to cause a minor crash is a lone blowing weed to get caught up in a prop, which quickly wraps around prop hub.
2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

As there is now no precision landing chances are pretty much all of my takeoffs will be hand launch.  And landings will be hand catch.

Edit:- when i get the drone that is.  Entering day 11 since order now!
2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-3 06:24
FYI both BladeStrike and Tahoe Ed (DJI Employees) are on RC groups and shared their direct communications with the developers this AM.

Unfortunately it is not good news. In spite of disappointment, here’s the quote verbatim:

Precision landing is not baked into the m2 and there’s no plan for it.
It appears that DJI is moving away from this based on what they are saying- even though customers are disappointed.

Surprise, surprise, surprise...

2018-9-3
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Missed it by that ''........................................................................................................................................................................'' much.

Seen my Mavic Pro P take off with gimbal/camera above an orange stake driven into ground, and precision land with gimbal/camera missing stake by only a few inches.  Defiently impressed.  The pictured RTH Precison Landing, not at all.

2018-9-3
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

My guess is that they eliminated Precision Landing due to other issues it caused?   I remember some of my abrupt stop/start issues that I had with my Mavic.  Like flying it around the yard and it would abruptly stop and hover in place...or when I tried to decrease altitude it would start auto landing.   Seems like I remember DJI suggesting disabling some of the features used in precision landing to address those (my memory might not be right though).   If I'm right, they might have just solved a few issues by eliminating it completely.  
2018-9-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-3 09:57
Don’t hate me because I’m right. ;)

BladeStrike says the LUT is coming soon.

Maybe your not so righteous, this dji employee has not dismissed precision landing coming. BTW, I’ve tested RTH 5 times today furthest it landed from take off was 8 inches, twice within 4 inches and once 6 inches. I can see how this is going to be such a Huge burden for you.

2018-9-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

NomadRT Posted at 2018-9-3 11:00
My guess is that they eliminated Precision Landing due to other issues it caused?   I remember some of my abrupt stop/start issues that I had with my Mavic.  Like flying it around the yard and it would abruptly stop and hover in place...or when I tried to decrease altitude it would start auto landing.   Seems like I remember DJI suggesting disabling some of the features used in precision landing to address those (my memory might not be right though).   If I'm right, they might have just solved a few issues by eliminating it completely.

What other issues ?

Start/Stop is usually front sensors getting confused.
Autoland is a function of the downward functions and landing protection.
All those sensors and functions still exist.

Precision landing was nothing more than a map built on takeoff to allow a more accurate landing.
2018-9-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-3 12:01
You can check with Ken or Ed at the LA DJI offices. But you would rather shill. I get it.

I don’t need to check with anyone, as almost everyone has said here, your always right, it doesn’t stop you from being full of Sh#t.
2018-9-3
Use props
Yraegel
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1411811 ft
United States

Well, this has been wildly entertaining if nothing else. So no precision landing with the Mavic 2. Kind of all I was looking for. It's a handy feature, nice to have but not a requirement.
On a side note, I have 241 flights in my log. Each and every one of them was performed taking off and landing on concrete or asphalt. Never had a single issue landing either the Mavic Pro or Mavic 2 Pro. Got a compass error once on the Mavic Pro. Calibrated it, and went off flying again.
Keep up the hearty banter!
2018-9-3
Use props
Lamplighter55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 538596 ft
United Kingdom

Getting that sense that there's some development work still to be done. My wallet is safe for now!
2018-9-3
Use props
Drizz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1110568 ft
Australia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-2 14:02
Again read your manual don’t take off around concrete constructions like you did, and only use RTH in emergency.
I’m sure it wouldn’t take much to place your pad on the grass thus avoiding possibility of interference to your compass , your pad won’t save you from that.

The OP wasn't posting about issues taking off or landing on concrete, but rather a VERY useful feature missing, which is precision landing in  RTH mode.

While you say "RTH is for emergencies only" as stated in the manual, what if there was an emergency and he needed the craft to land accurately exactly where it took off from, like the Mavic 1, and Mavic air can do flawlessly.

I regularly use RTH as its the most efficient way to return the craft to its take-off point, all the while actively monitoring and ready to take over if required.

When taking off in dusty, sandy, muddy, or high foliage areas precision landing can save you a great deal of time. The fact that the Mavic 2 has excluded this feature I think will annoy a lot of people who have come to rely on such a convenient feature, myself included.
2018-9-25
Use props
Boffin
lvl.4
Australia

Here's my Mavic Pro on the take-off/landing pad.

Took off, hovered until controller announced "Home Point Recorded", flew around a bit and hit the RTH button (just demonstrating to a mate).

I swung the gimbal down and took a photo of the landing pad from about 15 feet up, the Mavic Pro even rotated itself to match the take off heading during the descent from 120m.

This sort of precision is what the Mavic 2 owners are demanding and I sympathise with their frustration, although I do note that DJI have stated that it would be implemented in a future upgrade.

2018-9-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules