GH4 Gimbal Horizon not level
4994 19 2014-9-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
craig.jump
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1738885 ft
United Kingdom

I am having an issue with my new GH4 gimbal.. after initialising the gimbal is not level to the horizon, FPV reset does not bring it back level and I have to manually tilt it down...

Anyone else having this issue ?
2014-9-19
Use props
Blade_Strike
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Make sure all fw is up to date. Please do an advanced IMU calibration on the A2 as well.
2014-9-19
Use props
craig.jump
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Using WKM not A2.. all firmware latest
2014-9-19
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would reload the firmware and see if that helps.
2014-9-19
Use props
Scott-Heliguy
lvl.1
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hmm, I've seen lots of GH4 gimbals that are not perfect
2014-9-19
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have only seen 3 over the past few months.  None of them had issues.  All were set up with a S900, A2 and Lightbridge.  I am not sure how many you have seen with issues and how they were set up on what equipment.  
2014-9-20
Use props
craig.jump
lvl.2
United Kingdom

All firmware latest..  (thanks Ed), but still have horizon issue..

I noticed there is no IMU calibration on WKM unlike my Naza and A2... so cant seem to find anyway to recalibrate...  any ideas ?
2014-9-22
Use props
DJI-Terry
lvl.2

China

Hi, Craig,
I'm afraid that you may need to send back to DJI service center for recalibration.
2014-9-22
Use props
quadslo
lvl.2

Slovenia

I have leveled horizon after power up. It stays level when shooting forward or 45° to the left, right. If you go 180° turn, horizon goes off axis.
2014-9-23
Use props
scottroddy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1827480 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Have just discovered the same problem... What was the outcome Craig?
2014-10-8
Use props
fredrik
lvl.2

Sweden

Any updates? I have the same issue.
2014-10-12
Use props
fabien
lvl.2

France

Hi,

check carefully the IMU alignment on te frame and the compass calibration ....

Quick explanation : the zenmuse gimbal uses the compass as an external reference. To see how it works, when you build a new machine, do not fix the compass/gps permanently yet, power up all the system and after initialization, just rotate the compass and see what happens on the Zenmuse..
It is very important to spend a little time to adjust the "offset" of the compass (as explained in the manual) to get the best performances out of the gimbal.

If you make your tests in your workshop or at home, you are surrounded by lot of metal and electric cables, computers.... The compass is not able to give accurate informations and the gimbal will not work correctly for sure especially of you rotate 360° on the pan you will notice a big deflection on roll and pitch. You will then understand how important it is to have a good compass calibration AND offset corectly setup .

When all of this is done, if you go fly and make a correct calibration of the compass , things should be working fine.

Only small limitation : even if you fly manual, it seems the Zenmuse uses anyway the compass datas. It can be a little problematic when performing aerial video or photo in heavy magnetic interferences areas. But you can then use the roll manual compensation to work things out.

Just make sure that you setup your sub trims on your transmitter for the gimbal, so that in the software, all values are as close to ZERO as possible when sticks are at neutral ( or you will experience drift on one or several axis after initialization).

last of all, make sure that when you update the firmware, you update both IMU and GCU firmwares. Last version seems to work pretty well and corrected ( for me and my customers machines ) the pan random kicks and the shutter issues.

Best regards,
Fabien
2014-10-12
Use props
mimovie
New

Australia

Hey,
       I have this issue on multiple gimbals. Whats the solution?
2014-11-3
Use props
quadslo
lvl.2

Slovenia

Just received NEW one with the same issue. I have another one at home which also drifts in horizon. If you spin the helicopter around the yaw and gimbal is pointing at the same way all the time, you can see how it will drift when the copter spins in yaw.
2015-1-9
Use props
stpfl
lvl.2

Austria

I have the same issue and did the compass calibration but did'nt help.Its seems to be the people with old wookong having calibration issues and guys with A2 not ?

2015-1-9
Use props
quadslo
lvl.2

Slovenia

Compass offset only helps if you have yaw drift, not for the horizon. Be careful when playing with WKM IMU. I tried to lean the IMU that gimbal was leveled, but than copter was drifting. I wonder how many people have the same issue, but they are not aware of.
2015-1-9
Use props
stpfl
lvl.2

Austria

Its seems a wookong Zenmuse combination. Wookong is already old and there are no more updates coming out because of the A2 i guess.
Here is another Guy having problem with wookong and zenmuse:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/s ... &postcount=4048

If I initialise the Zen without it connected to the WKM it levels perfectly and, when the Hex is suspended and rotated the Zen holds roll and tilt to within 0.5 of a degree.

So, the finger of suspicion has to be the WKM sending crap data to the Zen. Or could it be that the Zen has a fault which only shows up when it is receiving data from the WKM?

2015-1-10
Use props
stpfl
lvl.2

Austria

Problem Zenmuse not level after startup:

i think the problem is a wookong/IMU Drift. After flying the Wookong about 2 years IMU has a drift now. There where no drift at the beginning and the installation did not change.Now IMU thinks its slightly rotated to the left but actually it isn't. So when the multirotor starts it makes a small kick to the right.  but after half a second its stable so not a big problem. But if you fly forward in ATTI Mode its also slightly drifting to the right! But the main problem is the Wookong is connected with my Zenmuse GH4. So wookong is sending wrong data to zenmuse. So because IMU thinks its slightly roted to the left gimbal is slightly roted to the right. This is the reason why its not level after start. I am very sure the solution would be Recalibrate the Wookong IMU.

I had exactly the same drift problem with my NAZA-M controller. It got a drift after flying one year. After recalibration of imu no more drifts were seen. I think you have to recalibrate the IMU after a while doesn't matter which controller you are using. But actually there is no Wookong IMU calibration availiable ? If its not necessary why does the A2 controller have a IMU calibration?
I think it would be a great advantage and need to be able to recalibrate the wookong IMU!
2015-1-11
Use props
stpfl
lvl.2

Austria

Maybe good news :-)

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... age%3D1&lang=en
2015-1-13
Use props
stpfl.email
lvl.2

Austria

UPDATE: As i thougt it was the calibration of the IMU.
Because there were no IMU calibration available for wookong i had to replace the IMU. My Shop sent me an replacement IMU and the horizon at the zenmuse is perfect now with new IMU after start-up. :-)

I would be easier to just make a IMU calibration instead of sending in the IMU!
2015-1-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules