Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Do you shoot in 4K and downsample to 1080p or keep it 4K?
7855 29 2018-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mini-G
lvl.4
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Hi all,

I wanted to share an reupload of a video I shot earlier this year. It was originally shot in 4K but for some reason I exported it as a 1080p vid using Premier Pro.
This time I've uploaded it to YouTube in 4K. Although I have to say I can't see much of a difference. What do you guys think of the vid?

Does anyone have an opinion regarding which would have a better output?

Can anyone also share any differences they've seen?

Thank you & happy flying!

Single SelectVote, Total 41 people participate in voting
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-9-3
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

I only have a 1080p Monitor at my Garage, but the Video you uploaded is AMAZING ! The Quality is Top Mate !

I have a friend who records at 4K then downsizes the video to 1080p, he tell me like this there is more detail recorded.

So as you are saying this was shot in 4k and downsized to 1080p right ?

The Images couldn't be Crisper in my Opinion, really Excellent Work ! Welldone Mate !

2018-9-3
Use props
Mini-G
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-9-3 06:19
I only have a 1080p Monitor at my Garage, but the Video you uploaded is AMAZING ! The Quality is Top Mate !

I have a friend who records at 4K then downsizes the video to 1080p, he tell me like this there is more detail recorded.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback!

In this vid I kept it 4K. I’ve stupidly removed the 1080 version from YouTube but will repost soon.
You friend’s thinking may have been why I downsized to 1080.

2018-9-3
Use props
Mini-G
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Hi all,

This was the original upload.
Shot in 4K downsampled to 1080. I think I did this because I read/watched on YouTube that it had better quality and detail.
Not sure. What do people think?

Thanks and happy flying!

2018-9-3
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

I agree with Dirty Bird. Both videos are excellent. To answer your other question, I shoot in 2.7K which when watching you will not see a difference to 4K but it saves a lot of space. In rendering I upscale to 4K, but only because I have not yet managed to get 2.7K displayed as such on Youtube. Maybe someone here can tell me the trick or is it that Youtube doesn't support 2.7K?
2018-9-3
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>

I always record 4k and downsize as needed (usually 1080). You only get one chance to record that moment, so might as well make use of the features that we paid for. And also a bit more freedom to rotate and crop if needed during editing.
2018-9-3
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-3 08:01
I believe this is akin to audiophiles vs. regular people.  Some will spend thousands on exotic speakers & audio equipment, yet blind tests show most people can't tell the difference (& often prefer) the sound from a $50 pair of speakers & a cheap stereo.

The same applies to video.  Some folks are true video fanatics & get down to zooming in & comparing pixels.  I don't fault them for this, but most people just watch the overall image & don't get down to analyzing pixels.

Totally agree with you Dirty Bird, you explained it well.

To add to your comment, it may be just me but I am still on 1080p regarding TV and Monitors. I recently bought a 4K Monitor for my Workshop, but for my Home I am happy with 1080p.

You may ask why don't you upgrade ? I wish to upgrade but don't have the money to stay updraging every now and then, 4 years ago I upgraded to 1080p from HD-READY and very happy with the result.

The Cable Company in Malta is still broadcasting HD Channels as a NEW FEATURE and all are still 720p not 1080p. So I think this 4K hype is good, but more a matter of opinion as you just said.

Just to add though.. Last week I was at a Computer Store in Malta, where I live, and saw a 65'' O LED Panasonic Screen where the Black was &aposITCH / JET BLACK' and the Colour wanted to come out of the Screen, it was Euro 2999 about $3300. I was Amazed, but still you cannot buy anything you want in life as God didn't make me rich, I need to work hard for a living and to maintain my Family. I am already happy I have some spare money to practice my Photography Hobby.

Cheers Mate !

2018-9-3
Use props
DMX_MT
Second Officer
Malta

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-3 09:39
I always record 4k and downsize as needed (usually 1080). You only get one chance to record that moment, so might as well make use of the features that we paid for. And also a bit more freedom to rotate and crop if needed during editing.

I agree with you Aardvark especially if you want to do the Zooming for the Dolly Zoom Effect.

2018-9-3
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158734 ft
Germany

I always record in 4k and scale it down to 1080 because the sensors of both the zenmuse x3 and mavic in my case are both recording 4k natively thus preserving detail which would otherwise goes lost through the compression algorithm.

I don't give a flying f*ck about 4K as a serious format since 6 - 8k is already in the make to become mass market ready. Our eyes won't recognize a serious difference between the formats.

As soon as 4k displays are a de-facto standard I will upgrade accordingly but as long as over 90% of the devices are full hd I refuse to jump on the 4k bandwagon just yet.
(Sorry if I sound mad but as an IT professional getting mad is half part of the job )

Oh - I almost forgot:
Nice video! Crisp Image but a little bit overexposed for my taste.
2018-9-3
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

Mini-G Posted at 2018-9-3 06:55
Hi,

Thanks for the feedback!

The one in the Original post is 1080 according to youtube, since you can't playback in higher resolution.
2018-9-4
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

I think Dirty Bird nailed it somehow,

It depends on what you are viewing the "material" on I would say that that makes the biggest impact.
there are a ton of tutorials saying that down scale it gives better quality .

Also be aware of that Youtube's algorithms might not be optimal, many persons claims that Vimeo have better quality but for the money youtube is a very good alternative.

Your video is sharp and clear. I think one very important thing with the MP for quality is the light, (as for many other cameras as well).

2018-9-4
Use props
Mini-G
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

FntX Posted at 2018-9-3 22:00
I always record in 4k and scale it down to 1080 because the sensors of both the zenmuse x3 and mavic in my case are both recording 4k natively thus preserving detail which would otherwise goes lost through the compression algorithm.

I don't give a flying f*ck about 4K as a serious format since 6 - 8k is already in the make to become mass market ready. Our eyes won't recognize a serious difference between the formats.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback! It was super hot and bright day and I think I was +1 on exposure.
I’ll keep an eye out on that!

2018-9-4
Use props
Mini-G
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

I believe this is akin to audiophiles vs. regular people.  Some will spend thousands on exotic speakers & audio equipment, yet blind tests show most people can't tell the difference (& often prefer) the sound from a $50 pair of speakers & a cheap stereo.

The same applies to video.  Some folks are true video fanatics & get down to zooming in & comparing pixels.  I don't fault them for this, but most people just watch the overall image & don't get down to analyzing pixels.

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback!

Dirty Birth, I totally agree with you. I personally dont have a 4K monitor and 1080p suits me fine for my use.
I actually haven’t use my drone a lot since getting it at the start of the year and still testing to find what works best.

Thanks to Wachtburger for the 2.7k info! I’ve never used it but interested to find out more!
2018-9-4
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for creating this thread. It would be better to know what are other users preferred for this resolution. Thank you for the support.
2018-9-5
Use props
djiuser_useAQR0LqmBy
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Always just shoot everything in 1080p personally. Don't have a computer, phone, tv or tablet capable of playing 4k, so seems a waste of memory card space and unnecessary drain on processing power when editing. 1080p looks beaut anyway.
Anyway, resolution isn't what makes a great video, it's the content.

Same way you can take better pics on a phone than a £1000 dslr if you don't know how to use it.
2018-9-6
Use props
Air Dale
lvl.1
Flight distance : 178586 ft
United States

I shoot everything in 4k, but in editing I will not always keep it in 4K.  If I shoot video in 4k I can perform up to a 4x zoom in software and not loose video quality if I output in 1080, but if I shoot in 1080 I loose this ability.
2018-9-8
Use props
fans183cfad3
New

Aardvark Posted at 2018-9-3 09:39
I always record 4k and downsize as needed (usually 1080). You only get one chance to record that moment, so might as well make use of the features that we paid for. And also a bit more freedom to rotate and crop if needed during editing.

Plus that.
2018-9-15
Use props
JarmoK
lvl.2
Flight distance : 440135 ft
Estonia

I always render out 4K and 1080p.   Then videos are ready for future, and guys who have the opportunity to watch in 4K at youtube can enjoy the best quality because there is a huge difference in 1080p and  2.7/4K quality.

2018-9-26
Use props
M4veric17
lvl.3
Flight distance : 519715 ft
France

So far, i've always been shooting in 4K and will downsize to 1080 for final producing. I think exporting in 4k is mainly justified for professionnal usage (which is not my case). Also even when exporting in 4K and exporting/sharing over the web, you have to consider that people with poor internet bandwidth will surely be downsized by eg YouTube auto settings (although end user can force these viewing settings to 4K, but with frustrating lags while viewing).

Another thing to mention is the file size which seriously increase with 4K. I know TeraOctets are quite cheap nowadays but most of us also have so many personal files (movies, songs, pictures, footages...) to deal with that it might count in the balance ^^

Nice shot of yours btw and just for the record, YouTube set the video size to 480p when viewing your video on my end.
2018-9-28
Use props
DewDog_2
lvl.3
United States

If you want to reduce size of your video clip in any resolution, Handbrake does an excellent job.  I always use it when planning to upload  to YouTube.  https://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
2018-9-28
Use props
Thriller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

JarmoK Posted at 2018-9-26 00:34
I always render out 4K and 1080p.   Then videos are ready for future, and guys who have the opportunity to watch in 4K at youtube can enjoy the best quality because there is a huge difference in 1080p and  2.7/4K quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ5Dqi6ZvWg

I am doing the same. My monitors are all 1080p but I think that in the next future I'll upgrade them to 4K.
2018-9-28
Use props
Nicoricosancho
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13196 ft
Canada

pretty much everyone watch's them videos on smart phones, or cheap computer monitor, 1080 is plenty! I film 4k or 2.7k and downsize, which gives me ability to adjust the shot without loosing quality ! you can also export in 2 different format quite easily if you want to watch your 4k video on your 4k TV ! Thats what I do ;) DIRTY BIRD FOR PRESIDENT (just love the name haha)
2019-1-7
Use props
Mini-G
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks for your feedback
2019-1-10
Use props
v01d
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1047100 ft
Australia

I have a question though on recording in 4k / full res my Mavic Pro allows.   (I'm no video / photo pro .).

One thing is 4k on this drone is max 24 frames, and, what I notice if you do not move drone / cam slowly smoothly enough, then the 4k becomes choppy kinda, makes you sick even on big screen.
In fact I felt that reducing the res to somewhere you can do 30fps is a much better setup if you want to fly 'fast' or move drone cam more quickly.

Is this what others observe too ?
2020-1-1
Use props
AntDX316
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3394731 ft
  • >>>
United States

How they draw the faces on the stacks?
2020-1-1
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

DMX_MT Posted at 2018-9-3 11:30
Totally agree with you Dirty Bird, you explained it well.

To add to your comment, it may be just me but I am still on 1080p regarding TV and Monitors. I recently bought a 4K Monitor for my Workshop, but for my Home I am happy with 1080p.

Have to agree with this.  There just aren't any over the air sources for "real video" as described for most people.  For professional use, you bet!  Go for the gold to satisfy or grab the client's interests and loyalty.  I'm not a pro, and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn last night.  
2020-1-12
Use props
Mini-G
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

JarmoK Posted at 2018-9-26 00:34

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ5Dqi6ZvWg

Hi,

Great video! The colour grading is superb!
2020-2-6
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Given that more than 90% of all material shot on a drone will most likely end up on YouTube anyway, you might as well make use of the 4K capability, providing your editing system can handle it. You can upload 4K to YouTube and it will automatically scale the clip to all other resolutions. That way, anyone who has 4K playback capability can watch it if they like but everyone else will get a version suited to their link speed.
2020-2-6
Use props
Matthew Dobrski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Can't agree more ... All this 6K, even 8K hysteria is nothing but a marketing hype, while most people can't realize that the sensor size (not the resolution) is the most critical factor for image quality ... That said, the difference between 1080 (HD) and 4K (UHD) format is quite obvious and clearly visible on good quality monitor. Bottom line: go for 4K if you're watching your creations on home theatre screen. For YT publications I wouldn't worry much about ...
2020-2-6
Use props
Mini-G
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

That’s a good point about 4K and home theatres.

Thank you for your post and your thoughts.

I’ve also been trying to create content for Ultrawide monitors and a 21:9 aspect ratio. To be honest I’m feeling the same way about creating for Ultrawide in the same way as 4K to 1080. I watched this video stating that  most steam users are still playing games on primary monitor thats 1920 x 1080 resolution and a dual setup of 3840 x 1080, I’ve included a screen shot of that survey.
56B1CC8F-B2B1-435A-AA83-ED778D85FD2E.jpeg
2020-2-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules