Mavic 2 Pro Firmware Update Fails on the DJI GO 4 app EVERYTIME
12Next >
10674 44 2018-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
flyguybda
lvl.1
United States

It's Tuesday September 4, 2018 I can confirm I am still having the same issue experiences by many others awith the DJI Go 4 app. It successfully updated my controller firmware but it WILL not update the Aircraft firmware. When I click on the link to download the DJI Assistant 2 software file it wants to take 2 hours to download a 175MB file!!! When I try to download the DJI Asssitant 2, the file is downloading INCREDIBLY slow and the live chat functionality on the website is down!!! What is going on DJI???

20180904_021602.jpg
2018-9-3
Use props
flytherag
lvl.2
Flight distance : 17018 ft
Switzerland

I have exactly the same issues
2018-9-3
Use props
Gomez Garcia Gonzalez
lvl.1

flytherag Posted at 2018-9-3 21:55

Same here!
2018-9-3
Use props
Gomez Garcia Gonzalez
lvl.1

I have eventually done the firmware update successfully by using DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic, though it only worked ont he second pc I tried and even then the drone update took three attempts (connection kept dropping out), though the RC worked first try.
2018-9-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Gomez Garcia Gonzalez Posted at 2018-9-4 00:15
I have eventually done the firmware update successfully by using DJI Assistant 2 for Mavic, though it only worked ont he second pc I tried and even then the drone update took three attempts (connection kept dropping out), though the RC worked first try.

Our apologies for the inconvenience. I'm glad that you were able to fix the issue. Please let us know if you have other concern, thanks for your support.
2018-9-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Sorry for the inconvenience. Kindly download DJI Assistant 2 using this link: https://www.dji.com/mavic-2/info#downloads and follow the video tutorial below. Let me know if the issue is still the same. Please make sure to turn off firewall and antivirus software. Thanks for your support.

2018-9-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

flytherag Posted at 2018-9-3 21:55

Sorry to hear that. Kindly follow  the instructions on the post #6. Please let me know whether the problem persists, thanks!
2018-9-4
Use props
flyguybda
lvl.1
Bermuda

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-9-4 04:52
Sorry for the inconvenience. Kindly download DJI Assistant 2 using this link: https://www.dji.com/mavic-2/info#downloads and follow the video tutorial below. Let me know if the issue is still the same. Please make sure to turn off firewall and antivirus software. Thanks for your support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K_2HgksJM4

Thanks for your response DJI Paladin. I was finally able to download the DJI Assistant 2 software and will attempt to run it when I get home in a few hours. I also contacted DJI chat support and reported my issue with the DJI Go 4 app and how it keeps giving me the error highlighted in the screen shot. They advised me to re-install the app on my phones and to try again tonight. If that doesn't work, I'll try the DJI Assistnat 2 and report back my results. Hopefully it works!

Thanks!
2018-9-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

flyguybda Posted at 2018-9-4 06:20
Thanks for your response DJI Paladin. I was finally able to download the DJI Assistant 2 software and will attempt to run it when I get home in a few hours. I also contacted DJI chat support and reported my issue with the DJI Go 4 app and how it keeps giving me the error highlighted in the screen shot. They advised me to re-install the app on my phones and to try again tonight. If that doesn't work, I'll try the DJI Assistnat 2 and report back my results. Hopefully it works!

Thanks!

You're welcome, please keep us posted. Thanks!
2018-9-4
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Same "network disconnected" here using android Go4.

The network isnt disconnected and is working.  Tried it on 2.4 and 5ghz wifi and LTE.  

Spent ages getting Assistant2 to load as well, it just wouldnt appear on loading.  Appears you HAVE to allow it internet and firewall access or it wont load (or tell you that even).

Vision calibration still requires insecuring windows to allow the install of unsigned drivers so im avoiding doing that for now.
2018-9-4
Use props
Hairy Cow Films
lvl.3
Flight distance : 25430 ft
United Kingdom

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-9-4 04:52

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-K_2HgksJM4

Turn off AV?

Why?
2018-9-4
Use props
flyguybda
lvl.1
Bermuda

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-4 06:31
Same "network disconnected" here using android Go4.

The network isnt disconnected and is working.  Tried it on 2.4 and 5ghz wifi and LTE.  

Is this with a private Antivirus software or just the basic Windows 10 firewall?
2018-9-4
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Crazy but Bit Defender detected the app as a threat and blocked it.
The app tries to "phone home" before its loads so checkers are blocking it.

I had to install and run it with it disabled then add an exclusion.
2018-9-4
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator

Just to make sure that it will not interrupt the installation of the software and the installation process of the firmware to your drone and remote controller.
2018-9-4
Use props
flyguybda
lvl.1
Bermuda

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-9-4 06:51
Just to make sure that it will not interrupt the installation of the software and the installation process of the firmware to your drone and remote controller.

Hey guys,

God and bad news. Bad news is that the DJI GO 4 App still gave me the same error highlighted in the screenshot above.

Good news is that the DJI Assistant 2 software worked like a charm when I connected the USB cable from my Mavic 2 to the laptop and was successfully able to upgrade the firmware to the aircraft and my 3 batteries using the DJI Assistant 2 desktop software. Hopefully DJI can rectify the issue as to why so many users are experiencing issues with upgrading firmware over the app.
2018-9-5
Use props
Corvus monedula
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3550594 ft
Poland

This is obviously a problem on their update server, which must be dropping connections. I wonder what will happen when next update comes and many more Mavics try to update at the same time.

Good thing is DJI GO 4 restarts the download where it broke… bad thing is its opinion on where it broke is not necessarily a good one – it's sad to see download break at 94% to restart from 24% with the next attempt.
Interesting, that RC update works like a charm.
2018-9-5
Use props
KCMartin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 29974 ft
United States

Me too! Wondering why is there no official response from DJI yet???
2018-9-5
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

There has been.  They say they're aware and use Assistant 2 for now.
2018-9-5
Use props
VectorTwin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 505978 ft
Bulgaria

After few /well.. several time / try to update by DJI GO4, Assistant 2 work good and update wash done for Drone by Assistant 2. For RC - after 6-7 try it was done by DJI Go 4.
2018-9-5
Use props
Hairy Cow Films
lvl.3
Flight distance : 25430 ft
United Kingdom

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-4 06:48
Crazy but Bit Defender detected the app as a threat and blocked it.
The app tries to "phone home" before its loads so checkers are blocking it.

In which case, this is a badly designed app. Pure and simple. No automobile manufacturer would tell you to unbuckle your safety belt to complete an action whilst driving, and this is no different.

Just because we have paid $1,000's to DJI does not mean that company has faultless IT systems - the very fact that this process revolves around data flowing too and from end user PC's is an indicator that this is an attack point for any threat actors looking to hit a Big Fish.

Impressed with my drone, not impressed with this lack of industry best practice.
2018-9-7
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

flyguybda Posted at 2018-9-4 06:46
Is this with a private Antivirus software or just the basic Windows 10 firewall?

Neither...Android.  It seems they broke it.

Windows BitDefender has a problem with assistant 2 with both an AV false positive and a firewall block.

You need to disable it entirely to install Assistant 2 and then manually add exclusions for the folder from AV searching and add firewall entries for DJIService and Assistant2 before re-enabling it.

2018-9-7
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
United Kingdom

Hairy Cow Films Posted at 2018-9-7 00:43
In which case, this is a badly designed app. Pure and simple. No automobile manufacturer would tell you to unbuckle your safety belt to complete an action whilst driving, and this is no different.

Just because we have paid $1,000's to DJI does not mean that company has faultless IT systems - the very fact that this process revolves around data flowing too and from end user PC's is an indicator that this is an attack point for any threat actors looking to hit a Big Fish.

I dont think they "do" best practices.

The false positive COULD be BitDefenders fault.  AV programs do flag up normal apps quite often, especially the more intrusive ones.  BD used to be good and lightweight but the last 2 major releases have been bloatier and more paranoid.

That said, DJI still h avent released signed drivers for the mavic to calibrate vision.  We've been waiting over 3 years now and DJIs work around is reboot and allow windows to install and use unsigned drivers (against all security and common sense practices).

2018-9-7
Use props
fans201cd9c7
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1787057 ft
  • >>>
United States

it's ridiculous that an update should take so long to download when it is only 43mb for the remote.  Had to download several time via the assistant for it to take.
2018-9-13
Use props
me-fitz
lvl.1
Flight distance : 15410 ft
United States

OK, so what do you do if you don't HAVE a windows machine to install the Assistant on?  I run linux at home, and I don't think the security folks at work want me (or will even let me) open firewalls to install something.  And since the thing won't FLY unless the update happens, I have a very expensive paperweight.  Where do I go from here?
2018-10-18
Use props
me-fitz
lvl.1
United States

fans201cd9c7 Posted at 2018-9-13 11:00
it's ridiculous that an update should take so long to download when it is only 43mb for the remote.  Had to download several time via the assistant for it to take.

OK, so what do you do if you don't HAVE a windows machine to install the Assistant on?  I run linux at home, and I don't think the security folks at work want me (or will even let me) open firewalls to install something.  And since the thing won't FLY unless the update happens, I have a very expensive paperweight.  Where do I go from here?
2018-10-18
Use props
flyguybda
lvl.1
Bermuda

me-fitz Posted at 2018-10-18 11:11
OK, so what do you do if you don't HAVE a windows machine to install the Assistant on?  I run linux at home, and I don't think the security folks at work want me (or will even let me) open firewalls to install something.  And since the thing won't FLY unless the update happens, I have a very expensive paperweight.  Where do I go from here?

Hi Me-Fitz,

Go to this link and download the DJI assistant software for your MAC at home:

https://www.dji.com/mavic-2/info ... te_search#downloads

The file for MAC/Apple computers would be the "DMG" file on the Software section on the right side of the page.

I had no problems with the Assistant software. Works like a charm!

flyguybda
2018-10-18
Use props
MikeMerci
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43953 ft
Austria

It is always the same sh... with DJI. I do not understand why they cannot get this running. Take the Update Servers out of China and the problem is solved. Or learn from other companies how to transfer Updates in small parts.
2018-12-18
Use props
MikeMerci
lvl.1
Flight distance : 43953 ft
Austria

VectorTwin Posted at 9-5 09:07
After few /well.. several time / try to update by DJI GO4, Assistant 2 work good and update wash done for Drone by Assistant 2. For RC - after 6-7 try it was done by DJI Go 4.

I am in update cycle 25
2018-12-18
Use props
me-fitz
lvl.1
United States

I'm back again.  Let me rephrase my question.  What do you do if you dont have a windows machine OR a mac?  I run LINUX.  Another update just got posted, and I had to go beg/borrow a laptop from a friend so I could install the update.  Luckily, the friend had not deleted the assistant from it since I borrowed it the last time around.  And since I usually dont fly my drone at home (in the mountains, 2 hours out), I am likely to wind up with a drone that wont fly because I dont have the laptop available!
2018-12-19
Use props
Stuartw
lvl.1
Flight distance : 118281 ft
United Kingdom

DJI ...(others?) Please May I make the same request ?
My update fails consistently at 72% progress.

I have tried Both WiFi and a wire USB from a MacBook running DJI assistant 2 (version 1.2.4)

Where do I go from here ? Other threads suggest that “inappropriate “ or incorrectly formatted Micro SD cards installed in the mavic  can prevent firmware updates  
2019-1-3
Use props
flyguybda
lvl.1
Bermuda

Stuartw Posted at 1-3 06:11

I recently updated my drone and batteries firmware  to the latest version available prompted by the DJI Assistant 2 software on my Windows 10 laptop. A friend of mine was having  a similar issue to yours where it gets stuck at a certain percentage and when I upgraded his firmware using my laptop it worked. What I recommend, is try and find a friend or family member with a Windows PC/laptop, download DJI assistant 2 and then try upgrading your firmware with that. If that isn't an option, try and uninstall DJI assistant 2 on your MAC and re-install it and try again. Hope it works for you!
2019-1-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

flyguybda Posted at 1-3 06:33
I recently updated my drone and batteries firmware  to the latest version available prompted by the DJI Assistant 2 software on my Windows 10 laptop. A friend of mine was having  a similar issue to yours where it gets stuck at a certain percentage and when I upgraded his firmware using my laptop it worked. What I recommend, is try and find a friend or family member with a Windows PC/laptop, download DJI assistant 2 and then try upgrading your firmware with that. If that isn't an option, try and uninstall DJI assistant 2 on your MAC and re-install it and try again. Hope it works for you!

Check out my link here it might explain why you are having the problems and some workarounds.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=176547
2019-1-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Stuartw Posted at 1-3 06:11

Check out my link, it explains why you might be having problems and ways to help sort it for you.

2019-1-3
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

me-fitz Posted at 2018-12-19 13:29
I'm back again.  Let me rephrase my question.  What do you do if you dont have a windows machine OR a mac?  I run LINUX.  Another update just got posted, and I had to go beg/borrow a laptop from a friend so I could install the update.  Luckily, the friend had not deleted the assistant from it since I borrowed it the last time around.  And since I usually dont fly my drone at home (in the mountains, 2 hours out), I am likely to wind up with a drone that wont fly because I dont have the laptop available!

Here my link may help.

2019-1-3
Use props
Stuartw
lvl.1
United Kingdom

flyguybda, hallmark007, many thanks for your kind suggestions.
2019-1-4
Use props
ludde28
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1514347 ft
Sweden

Never manage to uppdate via mobile (Android).  I have to use Assintant2 on PC, BUT it has to be win10. On my main PC win8 (like it better and i will avoid win10 as long as possible) the asistant 2 dont works.
(Un)fortunately has my travel PC win10.
Im not happy that DJI can not solve that "simple" incompability.
Maybe little less securitycoding and more userfriendly will solve the problem.
In latest GJi4go has in some occasions appeared notice with chineese signs, when view cache pics (play button).
Shame on you - chineese programers.
2019-1-5
Use props
Stuartw
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Sadly I'm still having no success.

I'm using DJI assistant 1.2.4. a trusted USB lead.
What I find odd is that the update loads, subsequentlt transfers to the mavic/RC but won't install.
Also, iit fails both for the Mavic AND the remote control. Thats odd heh?
2019-1-6
Use props
me-fitz
lvl.1
United States

Stuartw Posted at 1-6 11:56
Sadly I'm still having no success.

I'm using DJI assistant 1.2.4. a trusted USB lead.

I just did an update, with no issues.  The only thing I did differently this time was connect my phone/tablet to a 5GHz wifi instead of the 2.4GHz wifi.  That video, explaining what is going on is wonderful.  
2019-1-13
Use props
blakdrew
New

United States

The assistant app 2 fix worked.
2019-2-1
Use props
spasov_konstantin
Second Officer
Flight distance : 21083 ft
Russia

Same problem, can't update my new Mavic 2 Pro.
DJI maybe it's time to solve this bloody issue don't you think so?
2019-2-1
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules