9598 22 2018-9-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
groovy100
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3140876 ft
  • >>>
Malta

I have received my new DJI Mavic Pro 2 at the end of August (one of the first to order it).

Did the firmware update immediately and then an IMU calibration but the camera cannot focus.

It tries to focus and it keeps staying blurry.

I have done a firmware refresh again via Assistant and an IMU calibration right after that and nothing.

The focus setting is set to AF (AF is green).

Even the focus peaking setting is not showing the red outlines like it normally does.

The drone has not been used much at all. Just flown once for 2 minutes to see if that could correct the camera problem. It didn't.

I am using a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 and I have reinstalled the app. I even deleted the app data and reinstalled it. Also tried connecting from a completely different device (a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4). No difference.

I then reset the camera settings using the dji go 4 app
. Again, no difference. Same problem.

Lastly, I also reset the gimbal settings, formatted the memory card and did a gimbal calibration.

Nothing.

I am attaching pictures that will help you see all of the above.

Already contacted DJI support who are looking into the issue. Just posting this here in case anyone else is experiencing the same and managed to get it resolved somehow!

Screenshot_20180904-084059.jpg
1536043348000.jpg
2018-9-4
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sounds like you did all the necessary troubleshooting so it looks like you received a lemon. The mavic 2 I received focuses great, right out of the box.send it back for a replacement...
2018-9-4
Use props
groovy100
lvl.3
  • >>>
Malta

Yeah, it's starting to look like it's a return/repair matter. I don't even remember whether it would focus correctly prior to the firmware update as I pretty much started this right after I unboxed it.
To make matters worse, the IMU calibration procedure shows the wrong pictures for the wrong steps in the Android app, which added to the frustration as someone suggested that an IMU reset would fix the focusing (the two sound completely unrelated but there is a surprising number of posts for the Mavic 1 where people's focusing woes are apparently addressed with an IMU calibration).
2018-9-4
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, we're sorry to read about that. It looks like you've done with all the troubleshooting steps. I recommend you to send it in for replacement. Please contact our support team for further assistance. Thank you.
2018-9-4
Use props
groovy100
lvl.3
  • >>>
Malta

Unfortunately, I made the mistake of buying this drone from DJI's online store and now they are asking me to pay for the return shipping to send it back to them so that they can repair it.
Their excuse is that they do not offer free return shipping (even though this is an EU country and they posted the drone here in the first place).

Shipping it back to them so they can fix it by DHL will cost me over 70 euros which is a lot of money for buying a brand new product that shipped with faults straight from the manufacturer.
I had heard all the warnings of people complaining how bad customer service DJI offer and should have never bought the drone directly from them but instead ordered it from Amazon or elsewhere.
2018-9-4
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

2018-9-4
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

You can also press the shutter button half way to focus.
2018-9-4
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-4
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1730177 ft
Latvia

groovy100 Posted at 2018-9-4 18:01
Unfortunately, I made the mistake of buying this drone from DJI's online store and now they are asking me to pay for the return shipping to send it back to them so that they can repair it.
Their excuse is that they do not offer free return shipping (even though this is an EU country and they posted the drone here in the first place).

Wait, it was always free to send for warranty repair? Send several times Mavic 1 for repair (EU)
2018-9-5
Use props
groovy100
lvl.3
  • >>>
Malta

Thanks for all the responses guys.
Yes, I know how to focus, besides, it doesn't work even if continuous auto focus is on.
I tap to focus, the lens travels back and forth in an attempt to focus, beeps twice and is still out of focus.

This is the response I got from DJI support about sending my drone from Malta to the Netherlands. Both are EU countries and DJI ships to Malta when you buy online so I don't understand why they don't accept returns with prepaid postage. Amazon and so many other retailers do!

Thank you for contacting DJI NL Technical Support.

We understand that you are having a concern regarding your Mavic 2 Pro. No worries we are here to help you.

I'm glad that you bring this to my attention so we can fix this. You got me now, I'll do my very best to help you.

We acknowledge the information that you have provided. As per checking, the address xxxxxxxxxxxx MALTA, is not covered by our shipping label. With this, we suggest you for a mainland address if possible. If none, you may need to pay for the shipping label fee in sending the unit to our Facility.

I don't even know what "mainland address" means. I live in the most central part of Malta and deal with hundreds of purchases from online retailers each month as part of my job. Never come across an instance of distance selling for such an expensive object where they do not offer free return shipping in the event of fault.

2018-9-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Looks like a DOA - I'd ship it back asap
2018-9-5
Use props
groovy100
lvl.3
  • >>>
Malta

Yup! I just wish I didn't have to pay close to the cost of a new battery for the privilege of DJI repairing a broken product they sold me.

I just brought up with DJI that requesting the customer to pay for return shipping for a DOA product contravenes PART III of the COUNTRY/REGION SPECIFIC TERMS pertaining to the EEA sales of your AFTER-SALES SERVICE POLICIES whereby "the consumer may require an appropriate reduction of the price or have the contract rescinded, if the seller has not completed the remedy without significant inconvenience to the consumer or refund by the seller, of defective goods or goods which do not conform with the contract of sale"

I'd consider shouldering myself €70+ in shipping costs a major inconvenience for something that arrived faulty out of the box.

DJI - After-Sales Service Policies
2018-9-5
Use props
groovy100
lvl.3
  • >>>
Malta

Two days have passed and DJI are not replying to my messages on support to escalate the case for a product return/replacement.
I have sent them three e-mails on separate occasions within the last 2 days, received an automated acknowledgement with a reference number and since my last question 2 days ago, crickets.

I am contemplating calling my credit card company and requesting a chargeback since my purchase is actually insured by the card issuer.
2018-9-6
Use props
groovy100
lvl.3
  • >>>
Malta

Update...

I managed to resolve the problem by myself. I connected the drone to the non-drone-model-specific DJI Assistance 2 software (the one that is for anything else other than for e.g. the Mavic or the Phantom).

Once there, I was able to do a factory defaults reset from the Firmware section (something that is missing in the DJI Assistance 2 for Mavic software.

After that, the drone could focus again.

Thought others would want to know in case they are experiencing the same issue.
2018-9-6
Use props
Chpouky
lvl.3

groovy100 Posted at 2018-9-6 08:49
Update...

I managed to resolve the problem by myself. I connected the drone to the non-drone-model-specific DJI Assistance 2 software (the one that is for anything else other than for e.g. the Mavic or the Phantom).

Good find ! You should edit the first post and make it more obvious for others to see ^^
2018-9-6
Use props
groovy100
lvl.3
  • >>>
Malta

Good point Chpouky.

Just done that!
2018-9-6
Use props
travelswithlewi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 241109 ft
United Kingdom

groovy100 Posted at 2018-9-6 08:49
Update...

I managed to resolve the problem by myself. I connected the drone to the non-drone-model-specific DJI Assistance 2 software (the one that is for anything else other than for e.g. the Mavic or the Phantom).

Great news!
2018-9-6
Use props
groovy100
lvl.3
  • >>>
Malta

Newer update: The problem has returned!

Turns out the factory defaults reset was just a fluke. Confident in the fact that it appeared to resolve the out of focus problem, I took it with me to a beach to do some filming, took it out of its case and boom... blind as a bat again.

After all this, I managed to convince DJI to accept it without me having to pay for return shipping so they are replacing it with a new (hopefully!) unit.

Just thought I'd update everyone that if you are experiencing this, then it may be impossible to fix it without shipping the unit back to DJI
2018-9-11
Use props
Gomatsu13
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1198780 ft

I had the same problem after 3 months of use. Did you replace the drone? could you fix it? thank you
11C015D8-5FDA-4EA5-9622-0343447DC6EF.jpeg
2019-9-10
Use props
fans0167623a
New
Flight distance : 1183940 ft
Philippines

I also experienced the same problem i bought mine on oct 4 2019 i experience the issue oct 17 2020 i dont know if dji will give me warranty for that i felt scam because i take care of my drone always then this problem came.
2020-11-5
Use props
CineView Media
lvl.4
Flight distance : 5365522 ft
  • >>>
Norway

Same problem here now, after 2 years, got 2 jobs blown by this.
Also its not possible to check the files after shooting, without loading them off to a computer, which makes it even worse.
2021-2-3
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

CineView Media Posted at 2-3 12:50
Same problem here now, after 2 years, got 2 jobs blown by this.
Also its not possible to check the files after shooting, without loading them off to a computer, which makes it even worse.

Just shoot in RAW+JPG.
Then you can check at will on site.  OR even during flight.
2021-2-4
Use props
fans4b4406c6
New
United States

A POSSIBLE (temporary) FIX!

I have this problem fairly often, and it is maddening. However, I have found the following to fix it, albeit it eventually happens again. With the Smart Controller (not sure if the option exists for the DJI Go app), I use the Switch Aircraft option and select Mavic 2 Zoom (I am using the Pro). It will hunt around and eventually connect to the Pro, identifying the model correctly, and voila- the focus is fixed!

NOTHING else has worked for me- resetting, firmware updates/downgrades. When the issue is occurring I cannot focus the camera at all, by any method. Not manually, and not by tap-to-focus.

Hope this helps someone.
2021-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules