Blotchy patches in photos
1795 16 2018-9-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CaptureAZ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 141 ft
United States

Shot a storm rolling through Tucson over the weekend, and when I got home, I noticed in a few of the photos that there were some areas of the images that had these blotchy areas which I've never seen before in my old Mavic Pro, or on my DSLR (Nikon D750 that I was also shooting with).  They were shot in RAW, then processed in Lightroom CC Classic, but you can see the blotches in the DNG before any edits are applied, so it is not my post-processing.  

What I'm seeing is that the graduation from purple to blue colors and vice versa are not... smooth.  I keep seeing purple blobs in the middle of the blue areas, and I've been unable to get rid of them, and frankly, I shouldn't have to.  I was also wondering if it was my 10 bit monitor really bringing out the imperfections in the images, but they look the same on my other monitor, as well as a few laptops that I opened them on.  I had ISO set to 100 and was shooting in aperture priority mode.  The problem gets exacerbated as SOON as you start applying edits, unless you darken that area which makes them less apparent.  I'm also a little disappointed that this is happening at ISO 100 where, yes, LR can get rid of some of it, but it can't correct for some of these large blemishes.

I am hoping a firmware update fixes this, because this all but ruined 3 of the photos that I really wanted to be 'keepers.'

I've uploaded full size JPGs -

http://www.azimages.net/Mavic2Pro/DJI_0028.jpg  (top middle area where the clouds go from purple to blue)
http://www.azimages.net/Mavic2Pro/DJI_0030.jpg  (top right)
http://www.azimages.net/Mavic2Pro/DJI_0031.jpg  (top left)
http://www.azimages.net/Mavic2Pro/DJI_0035.jpg  (upper 3rd on the right)
http://www.azimages.net/Mavic2Pro/DJI_0050.jpg  (top right)

One of the DNG's -

http://www.azimages.net/Mavic2Pro/DJI_0035.DNG
2018-9-4
Use props
ygrabo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 543097 ft
United Kingdom

could you highlight with an arrow or red dot or so the area of the "blotches"? can't nee anything crazy at the minute.
2018-9-4
Use props
IzelPhotography
lvl.1
United Kingdom

ygrabo Posted at 2018-9-4 09:59
could you highlight with an arrow or red dot or so the area of the "blotches"? can't nee anything crazy at the minute.

+1 I can't see anything unusual. For a 1 inch sensor they look fairly clean, not too much colour/luminance  noise.
2018-9-4
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

I see them, looks like some serious color banding effects, also, much more noise in the sky, that you would expect from that camera, and that sensor, at ISO100. That is, if you have the Pro, and not the Zoom version?
Poor dynamic range. Don,t know how to help you though. If you don,t look too closely, it is not as noticible. Awesome images, but for your problem.
2018-9-4
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I took a quick look at the jpgs and couldn't detect anything amiss, but I wasn't there for the sunset and don't know what it was supposed to look like.
2018-9-4
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

It is not very noticible at a glance, can be seen when you look closely. I understand your frustration. Any type of good editing, might only make the color banding worse. It will be possible to post on the net, etc, but maybe a bit more noticible when printing, or seeing large.
Still, not bad images. One either has to know it, to see it, or have a critical eye for photos.
Some of the better drone images around. Love the tobacco sky.
2018-9-4
Use props
fans68308231
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200177 ft

Had a quick glance and looked fine.

Not going to look any closer or I'll end up seeing it in my own photos.

Ignorance is bliss as they say.

Hope you get a fix.
2018-9-4
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks pretty good too me??
2018-9-4
Use props
IzelPhotography
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Seriously, I process images every day (day job) and I use sensors from 1inch, m43, APSC and FF and I seriously can't find anything unusual about these images, and I'm a PITA when it comes to IQ. Low light with a 1" sensor is not going to produce DR of a FF camera. We have to be realistic as to what's possible with what is still a small sensor. To me it looks very impressive, considering it's size. I'm just not seeing any banding, just expected dynamic range of a smaller sensor in low light. I've seen worse in some m43 sensors.

The only blotches I'm seeing in the sky are subtle variations in the cloud cover that are reflecting the light from the fading sun. This mixed with some colour noise is all that's there (cyan and magenta) but.... Should take a couple of seconds in Capture One to tidy up (or Lightroom if that's what you use). Don't go heavy on luminance noise reduction as it will make it worse, just use the colour NR tool and it should help. If you are going to sharpen, do so on the land only. You can add sharpening ND layer. This will avoid any additional patterning in the sky by sharpening. Hope this helps.
2018-9-4
Use props
IzelPhotography
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Also, you may have been better off lifting ISO to 200 or a bit more, over expose slightly and bring down the exposure in post. This would result in lowering the noise. If you under expose and then try to lift it in post and then edit it, it will show a lot of noise in the shadows, darker areas of the image. Blue tones are notorious for noise, even on bright sunny days noise can appear in perfect blue skies.
2018-9-4
Use props
CaptureAZ
lvl.1
United States

IzelPhotography Posted at 2018-9-4 13:27
Seriously, I process images every day (day job) and I use sensors from 1inch, m43, APSC and FF and I seriously can't find anything unusual about these images, and I'm a PITA when it comes to IQ. Low light with a 1" sensor is not going to produce DR of a FF camera. We have to be realistic as to what's possible with what is still a small sensor. To me it looks very impressive, considering it's size. I'm just not seeing any banding, just expected dynamic range of a smaller sensor in low light. I've seen worse in some m43 sensors.

The only blotches I'm seeing in the sky are subtle variations in the cloud cover that are reflecting the light from the fading sun. This mixed with some colour noise is all that's there (cyan and magenta) but.... Should take a couple of seconds in Capture One to tidy up (or Lightroom if that's what you use). Don't go heavy on luminance noise reduction as it will make it worse, just use the colour NR tool and it should help. If you are going to sharpen, do so on the land only. You can add sharpening ND layer. This will avoid any additional patterning in the sky by sharpening. Hope this helps.

Thanks man, yea I've been a wedding and racing photographer for over 10 years now and normally see things like this where they stick out like a sore thumb.  There is clearly something going on with those particular colors in low light that I'm hoping they fix with a software update.  I like to shoot low-ish light sunsets, buildings, landscapes, etc, and purple/blue are in those shots a lot, hopefully.  

I do process everything in Lightroom, I've been using it since day 1 so I've gotten very used to its capabilities and options, but this is something that would take a ton of work in Photoshop to get rid of (clone-stamp tool, probably).  I tried bumping up the noise reduction settings, turning them down, adding some detail, taking it away, but the blotches won't go away.  Kind of a shame.
2018-9-4
Use props
mardarethedog
lvl.4
Flight distance : 406604 ft
  • >>>
Canada

what was the F stop?
2018-9-4
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638911 ft
France

Awesome images, but yes the color noise is clearly visible in the DNG without pushing anything.
Quite strange, looks like quantization noise in the blue channel.
Not really normal to me. But removable, if you are using LR, with the third Color reduction cursor ('lissage' in french). It is dedicated to the very low frequency color noise, very efficient for removing the color blotches usually..
2018-9-4
Use props
CaptureAZ
lvl.1
United States

f/2.8, shutter speeds between 1/8th and 1/100th at ISO 100
2018-9-4
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638911 ft
France

see below. I just increased the contrast & the saturation to make the defect more visible. On the right, I just played with the 'lissage' cursor to remove the low frequency noise
2018-9-4
Use props
CaptureAZ
lvl.1
United States

castormalin Posted at 2018-9-4 15:18
see below. I just increased the contrast & the saturation to make the defect more visible. On the right, I just played with the 'lissage' cursor to remove the low frequency noise
[view_image]

Thanks, it looks like I do have to crank the smoothness way up to get rid of the blemishes, so it is doing the trick.  Thank you for the suggestion!
2018-9-4
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. We apologize for the inconvenience. Did you try to adjust the camera settings in the app? Did you try to reformat the SD card?
2018-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules