Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
SEE THE VIDEO: Ronin-S Problem with GH5s
12Next >
11505 45 2018-9-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi all,
See the video below.  I shot the video to show DJI a problem with the motors going slack when the GH5s was connected to an external monitor AND USB to the Ronin-s. I've since discovered (as have many others in this forum) that the external monitor is not necessary, this is a problem when the USB is connected between GH5/s and the Ronin.
When I shot the video below, I was trying to document the motors going limp, but something entirely new (and borderline violent) happened.  Pretty interesting to see technology run amok. My camera and the Ronin took a bunch of hard hits as the Ronin went out of control.

NOTE: This problem is acknowledged by DJI at this point and they are working on a firmware fix.

Matt

2018-9-4
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I was recording the problem to show DJI, when the Ronin suddenly went berzerk.  I've been testing the problem all day long, this was coincidentally the first time the Ronin acted the way you will see in this video.  VERY lucky that I was sitting right there and watching it when it freaked out.
2018-9-4
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Any thoughts from DJI?
2018-9-5
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1320098 ft
  • >>>
Israel

This is scary stuff..
If you camera damaged, I think dji should be responsible to take care of it.
2018-9-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, sorry to see this, the issue has been forwarded to our engineers for attention and analysis, we will come back to you once we hear from them, please wait patiently, thank you.
2018-9-6
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-6 03:18
Hi there, sorry to see this, the issue has been forwarded to our engineers for attention and analysis, we will come back to you once we hear from them, please wait patiently, thank you.
[EDITED]
No Problem Mindy.  I am able to use the gimbal without any problems as long as I don't connect the USB cable between the camera and the Ronin-s.  That said, I am always nervous that something might go wrong.

If you want to try the same monitor in your testing, you can find it here...
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/p ... _7_ips_4k_hdmi.html
2018-9-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mabou2 Posted at 2018-9-6 05:09
No Problem Mindy.  I am able to use the gimbal without any problems as long as I don't have that particular monitor connected.  So far, the gimbal seems to be working just fine with my 7" Small HD monitor.  That said, I am always nervous that something might go wrong.

If you want to try the same monitor in your testing, you can find it here...

It seems this issue only happens to some particular monitors, thanks for the purchase link, I have forwarded to our engineers, will keep you updated.
2018-9-7
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-7 00:55
It seems this issue only happens to some particular monitors, thanks for the purchase link, I have forwarded to our engineers, will keep you updated.

Mindy, I have updated the description in the first post.  I no longer believe this is related to monitors.  I believe this is a problem with the Ronin s and the GH5/GH5s.

I had an unbelievable amount of trouble today on a shoot (with clients).  See my updated description in the original post above.  I also notice other threads are starting to talk about problems with the GH5/s and the ronin.  looks like you guys have some trouble ahead.

As I mentioned above, my camera got slammed so hard by the Ronin that the USB c cable connector got bent.   Really violent when this thing goes crazy, and I have no doubt that it is bad for the camera.
2018-9-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi Mabou2, here is an update: we have replicated the external monitor issue and will get it optimized in the future firmware upgrade, sorry for the trouble caused and appreciate your patience.
2018-10-12
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

EXCELLENT!  Thanks Mindy.
2018-10-12
Use props
Wisdom Tooth
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535308 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-12 22:43
Hi Mabou2, here is an update: we have replicated the external monitor issue and will get it optimized in the future firmware upgrade, sorry for the trouble caused and appreciate your patience.

Is there an expected release date for this firmware fix?
2018-10-15
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Wisdom Tooth Posted at 2018-10-15 14:22
Is there an expected release date for this firmware fix?

Hi Wisdom, no, we do not have the estimated release date yet, our engineers will get it optimized soon, please note the release notes in the future firmware.
2018-10-16
Use props
Inceptionator
lvl.1
Flight distance : 451949 ft
Australia

My Ronin S did exactly that, twice today, on a shoot, with the client next to me!!
Motors just went crazy for no reason while shooting ?? Thrashed all Over the place, really bad.
Same as everyone else's issues . firmware unto date, perfectly balanced. Just randomly freaks out.
DJI, You guys have got to sort this out ... please
2018-10-16
Use props
Inceptionator
lvl.1
Australia

All of of the issues you mention happened to me today, brand new Ronin s and a GH5s. Motors freaked out and thrashed, random motors just Turn off, roll button randomly didn't work. All in front of the client. They were not impressed with the Ronin S. Serious issues by more and more users.
2018-10-16
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Inceptionator Posted at 2018-10-16 04:42
All of of the issues you mention happened to me today, brand new Ronin s and a GH5s. Motors freaked out and thrashed, random motors just Turn off, roll button randomly didn't work. All in front of the client. They were not impressed with the Ronin S. Serious issues by more and more users.

Ouch... been there, Done that, waiting for a fix.  :-(  It REALLY sux to have this happen in front of a client.  I was on a super tight time schedule with a big client, A LOT of people on set, an actor hired and paid hourly... really bad situation to have my Ronin quit working and freak out.  
2018-10-16
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
  • >>>
Israel

Mabou2 Posted at 2018-10-16 06:55
Ouch... been there, Done that, waiting for a fix.  :-(  It REALLY sux to have this happen in front of a client.  I was on a super tight time schedule with a big client, A LOT of people on set, an actor hired and paid hourly... really bad situation to have my Ronin quit working and freak out.

does it happen only on 4k? 1080 is clean?
2018-10-16
Use props
Mark Lediard
New
United Kingdom

Just wanted to add my similar experience to this thread. I have a GH5s and frequently when shooting with a small HD monitor attached by HDMI the motors go slack. This keeps happening on professional jobs with clients present. In addition, yesterday, I experienced one complete camera freakout similar to the one in the video above. DJI please expedite a fix for this ASAP.
2018-10-17
Use props
John Phelan
lvl.1
Ireland

I was just about to place an order for the Ronin S today to use with my GH5S, then I saw the video's and comments on-line, maybe the Tilta G2X with the Nucleus N would be a better option, I'll hold off for a month or so to see if the issue with the Ronin S is resolved and how quickly, I've also read about other DJI products and it taking six months to be resolved. I thought the Ronin S was going to be a game changer, glad I had a second look before I leaped. DJI is going to loose out big time if this is not resolved ASAP, nothing kills a new product as quickly as these sort of issues. Maybe it was just rushed to market too quickly, really gutted for the people burned by this issue.
2018-10-17
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

This EXACT thing happened to me.  

• GH5s
• 12-35mm Sigma
• Perfectly Balanced

The unit was on a tripod on the beach and I was attempting a motion timelapse when less than halfway through the shoot, it went nuts.  It was on a heavy duty tripod with weights and it still shifted the entire setup. It was scary and the last straw for me (returned to BestBuy shortly after).
2018-10-17
Use props
Inceptionator
lvl.1
Australia

DJI - Further info on my issue for your engineers.
•GHD5s
• Panasonic 12mm to 60 mm zoom lens
•Small HD Monitor by HDMI.

I am shooting for 6 days straight, nearly all day,  so can give feed back on constant issues.
No violent freak out of motors today, but approx every hour, I can't start stop a take from Ronin trigger.   Then approx 6 times today, the motors just turn off,  and you can't stop record from Ronin.

I usually just  power down and reset the whole system and go again, but what I noticed today was
"When this happens, if I actually turned the GHD5s power off..., the Ronin S motors re-engage again !??

To me, it would seem that its not talking to the  Panasonic GHD5s very well, and seemingly the cause of the issue.

Will let you know whats happens tomorrow.
2018-10-18
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Hi all,  Thanks for all the replies, but sorry to see that so many of us are having trouble.

WORKAROUND
KEEP IN MIND, all you need to do to get through your shoot is disconnect the USB cable connecting the GH5s to the gimbal.  If you disconnect that wire, you can run this thing all day without an issue.  Yes, that means the focus controller and start/stop buttons are just dead weight at that point, but at least you can get through your shoot.  

I will never, EVER connect that USB cable again until I hear that DJI has fixed this problem through firmware.  It isn't worth the risk.  Everything could be fine one second, then the next second your $4,000 camera and lens are bring ruthlessly slammed around by strong motors.  

I'm sad to have lost some of the functionality that enticed me to buy this particular gimbal, but my return period is long gone and at least I can get my paying jobs completed without further embarrassment in front of my clients.
2018-10-20
Use props
fansdb6ff1f7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1998786 ft
United Kingdom

Mabou2 Posted at 2018-10-20 02:30
Hi all,  Thanks for all the replies, but sorry to see that so many of us are having trouble.

WORKAROUND

The big issue will be if DJI can't fix the problem via a FW update. If the cable connection problems are with the physical USB ports there's going to be a bit of a hoo ha. I'll be holding back on purchasing until DJI confirm for certain that this is fixable via FW.
2018-10-20
Use props
djiuser_oIgxy6k2lQP0
lvl.1
New Zealand

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-10-16 03:03
Hi Wisdom, no, we do not have the estimated release date yet, our engineers will get it optimized soon, please note the release notes in the future firmware.

I have the same issue. Only happens shooting 50fps with manual focus and external HDMI monitor. Yesterday it freaked so badly the lens was slammed into the pan motor so hard that the screw holding the camera onto the slide plate was loosened causing the camera to flop around loose. SO EMBARRASSING in front of clients. Usually it just goes limp, not his time. Every shoot I do I have this problem when shooting 50p4k. Yesterday I had to reset the gimbal six times in 20 minutes. Today it was five times in forty minutes.
2018-10-23
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

djiuser_oIgxy6k2lQP0 Posted at 2018-10-23 19:48
I have the same issue. Only happens shooting 50fps with manual focus and external HDMI monitor. Yesterday it freaked so badly the lens was slammed into the pan motor so hard that the screw holding the camera onto the slide plate was loosened causing the camera to flop around loose. SO EMBARRASSING in front of clients. Usually it just goes limp, not his time. Every shoot I do I have this problem when shooting 50p4k. Yesterday I had to reset the gimbal six times in 20 minutes. Today it was five times in forty minutes.

Ugh... horrifying.  I've been there recently.  Four clients, the crew, and an actor all standing around while my camera gets flipped around violently and I scramble to shut it down... then a few minutes later it all goes limp and they have to wait while I reboot, then the focus wheel stops working, or any subset of other issues.  Totally horrifying and embarrassing.

Just remember, you can fix the problem instantly by removing the USB cable from the Ronin-s and Camera.  You (obviously) won't be able to start/stop recording or use the focus pull, but at least you can get the shot without being humiliated in front of clients.
2018-10-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Hi all, we sincerely apologize for the trouble caused with the external monitor attached, we have been aware of this and will get it optimized in the future firmware upgrade, appreciate your patience.
2018-10-26
Use props
russkn87
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430039 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Thank you for sharing the video, this is exactly what happens with me too (I shoot weddings and have the exact same setup, and the same monitor).

I will finally be able to feel confident once this issue is resolved.
2018-10-26
Use props
fans010f4f77
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2545197 ft
  • >>>
United States

For those thinking it's monitor related, it happens with and without an external monitor. Both times it's happened is with the USB cable plugged in. It even scratched my gimbal and there is no telling what it may have done to the motors or other equipment as it could have behind the scenes damage. I traded my Crane 2 for this? Really, DJI? Gonna lose some people for good on this. Crane 3-Lab is out in 3 weeks.
2018-10-30
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

fans010f4f77 Posted at 2018-10-30 20:49
For those thinking it's monitor related, it happens with and without an external monitor. Both times it's happened is with the USB cable plugged in. It even scratched my gimbal and there is no telling what it may have done to the motors or other equipment as it could have behind the scenes damage. I traded my Crane 2 for this? Really, DJI? Gonna lose some people for good on this. Crane 3-Lab is out in 3 weeks.

Hi Fans,

Agreed, this is now known to be a bigger problem than having an external monitor connected, or as many have reported, the problem only shows up when shooting a specific 4k.

This is simply a problem of the Gimbal going wrong with the USB connection to a GH5 or GH5s.  That said, it is easier for me to replicate when I have an external monitor connected, just as it is easier for others to replicate when they shoot a specific flavor of 4k.

Since those discoveries are somewhat buried in this relatively long thread, I have updated the OP to reflect our new understandings of this issue.
ALSO: as another reminder to all, just disconnect the USB cable for now.  You won't have control of focus or stop/start, but at least your gimbal won't ragdoll your camera.

2018-10-31
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Mindy,  
I was just taking another look at this thread and I notice all of your replies are in regard to a Firmware fix for when an external monitor is connected.  I want to reiterate that this problem will occur for people with no external monitor.  It MIGHT be easier to replicate the problem when also connected via HDMI to an external monitor, but really, no monitor required to experience this issue.

Disconnecting the USB cable fixes the problem completely, but (of course) neuters some functionality between the Ronin and GH5(s).

Anyway, I just want to make sure that your engineers understand this is a bigger problem than just an external monitor or shooting certain flavors of 4k.  This is a fundamental issue with the communication between the camera and the Ronin itself.
2018-10-31
Use props
Moshe.mmm
lvl.4
  • >>>
Israel

DJI Mindy Posted at 10-26 05:05
Hi all, we sincerely apologize for the trouble caused with the external monitor attached, we have been aware of this and will get it optimized in the future firmware upgrade, appreciate your patience.

Hi, any news..?
We all are waiting impatiently..
2018-11-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Moshe.mmm Posted at 11-4 12:23
Hi, any news..?
We all are waiting impatiently..

Hi Moshe, sorry that I don't have the estimated date yet, once the new firmware is released, we will also announce in the Forum, appreciate your patience.
2018-11-5
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fans010f4f77 Posted at 10-30 20:49
For those thinking it's monitor related, it happens with and without an external monitor. Both times it's happened is with the USB cable plugged in. It even scratched my gimbal and there is no telling what it may have done to the motors or other equipment as it could have behind the scenes damage. I traded my Crane 2 for this? Really, DJI? Gonna lose some people for good on this. Crane 3-Lab is out in 3 weeks.

Hi there, sorry to know you have the same issue without external monitor mounted, does the issue happen every time or only with some special situation? Any chance to share us a sample video for further support?
2018-11-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mabou2 Posted at 10-31 07:26
Mindy,  
I was just taking another look at this thread and I notice all of your replies are in regard to a Firmware fix for when an external monitor is connected.  I want to reiterate that this problem will occur for people with no external monitor.  It MIGHT be easier to replicate the problem when also connected via HDMI to an external monitor, but really, no monitor required to experience this issue.

Mabou, thanks for your reminder, no worries, we will handle it.
2018-11-6
Use props
LAStory
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53862 ft
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 11-6 04:13

I seriously doubt that this will ever be resolved.
2018-11-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

LAStory Posted at 11-6 07:48
I seriously doubt that this will ever be resolved.

Hi there, we are verifying more details with other users who have the same problem, we are doing our best to collect more info so that we can forward to our engineers for more tests, sorry for the trouble caused.
2018-11-8
Use props
empire
lvl.1
Germany

Hi Mindy
Any news so far regarding the issue between Ronon s and GH5s. I'm using an Atomos monitor and the multi cc cable makes the ronin go crazy.
Thanks
2018-11-28
Use props
Inceptionator
lvl.1
Australia

So.....5 months has gone by with this eradic, annoying problem. Any fixes yet DJI?
Not quite the customer service we should be receiving really is it?
2019-1-22
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-11-6 04:13

Hi Mindy, you said that DJI will fix this three months ago... any updates?
2019-1-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Mabou2 Posted at 1-24 13:00
Hi Mindy, you said that DJI will fix this three months ago... any updates?

We did optimize this issue in the firmware v1.7.0.60, but it seems there are other issues per your new thread: https://forum.dji.com/thread-174516-1-1.html We have escalated to our engineers for further analysis, if there is any update, I will keep you posted in your new thread, thank you.
2019-1-25
Use props
lvl.1
United Kingdom

And if you check out my latest post, you will also find that the long awaited (by me anyway) power cable RS-013, doesn't work with a GH5S either.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D531%26typeid%3D531

Optimize that !
2019-2-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules