4.76% (2)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-9-4
Use props
Sky Donkey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

I check sensors before every flight in pre checks and see if it needs it.
2018-9-4
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

I've noticed that the M2P takes a bit longer to fully lock and record the position.  I also check the sensors since the overall page shows when you open up the app.
2018-9-4
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

You should reword 3. by removing "Yes but,". As it stands I cannot vote because I would only calibrate it when told or after a crash. I had my maiden flight with the M2P today and did not calibrate anything because there was no need to do so.
2018-9-4
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Nope. Nor the compass the status of both was ok out of the box.

The Zoom however required a compass calibration.

I work on the basis, don’t introduce problems you don’t need!!
2018-9-4
Use props
Sky Donkey
lvl.4
Flight distance : 355157 ft
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-4 11:35
You should reword 3. by removing "Yes but,". As it stands I cannot vote because I would only calibrate it when told or after a crash. I had my maiden flight with the M2P today and did not calibrate anything because there was no need to do so.

dam it it wont let me edit it ....
2018-9-4
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Sky Donkey Posted at 2018-9-4 11:38
dam it it wont let me edit it ....

Too bad but there is still option 5. and people can explain.
2018-9-4
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

The dodgy picture confuses people (understandably).

My compass was in the yellow - needed calibrating BUT didnt prompt me.  (But i calibrated anyway as part of my checks before flight).
2018-9-4
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>

Only do it when the app tells you to! Always, make sure you are away from concrete slabs, cars, metal on you or 10' feet radius around you.
2018-9-4
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

dronist Posted at 2018-9-4 12:45
Only do it when the app tells you to! Always, make sure you are away from concrete slabs, cars, metal on you or 10' feet radius around you.

This is the IMU.  You can put it on anything metal for feel like.
2018-9-4
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-4 12:48
This is the IMU.  You can put it on anything metal for feel like.

Dude, let me make it clearer for you:   

Dude, don't calibrate IMU and or Compass unless the app asks you to do it.

Second don't take off until you make sure you are away from concrete slabs, cars, metal on you or 10' feet radius around you.

Clear enough for you Dude?

2018-9-4
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-4 11:46
The dodgy picture confuses people (understandably).

My compass was in the yellow - needed calibrating BUT didnt prompt me.  (But i calibrated anyway as part of my checks before flight).

Dude, nope you DON'T calibrate as part of your checks before flight.

Never calibrated any of my drones, and I have plenty of them, even when I went overseas 1000's of mile away. ONLY CALIBRATE when the app ask you to. Even then, make sure you are away from metal, computers etc. so move your AC a few feet or few meters and then turn off / restart and again if it is red and it asked you to do it then you do it.

You don't calibrate out of the blue because you will cause more errors when it is not done right.

2018-9-4
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
United Kingdom

And the app doesn't always get it right.  Its got a high tolerance before it tells you to calibrate.

The thread is about the IMU.  The title is about the IMU.  The IMU is not the compass.

Not a single person mentioned compass.

Basically, you got it wrong and now trying to backtrack.

Im also going to assume you're unable to read because regarding the compass the manual clearly states:-

Clear enough for you Dude?  Or would you like it written in crayon using smaller letters?
2018-9-4
Use props
Fraggboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 81401 ft
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-4 13:09
And the app doesn't always get it right.  Its got a high tolerance before it tells you to calibrate.

The thread is about the IMU.  The title is about the IMU.  The IMU is not the compass.

Well put!!
2018-9-4
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

This Dronist fella seems like a pretty big c*nt
2018-9-4
Use props
Visual Air
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 2710115 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hedsic Posted at 2018-9-4 18:24

Thats good lol
2018-9-4
Use props
Duncandonut
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2139291 ft
United Kingdom

I only calibrate the compass or IMU when the app asks me to do so. I do a full pre-flight before every flight and during that, I check both the compass and IMU to see if a calibration is needed.
2018-9-4
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

Hedsic Posted at 2018-9-4 18:24

but he is right.
a bad compass calibration is way worse than not calibrating at all.

but yeah, lets keep it about the imu.
2018-9-5
Use props
BlueSkies99
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3238 ft
United States

I only calibrate if the craft asks for it.
2018-9-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for creating this thread for us to know how often they calibrating the IMU. Thank you for the support.
2018-9-6
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-4 13:09

It doesn’t mean the manual is right, when Mavic Pro first manual came out , it said calibrate only when app asks, P4Pro manual says the same spark and inspire2 also the same, there is much confusion about calibration with dji and what it prints in its manuals.
These are digital compass and shouldn’t ever need calibration, I have owned Mavic Pro P4 for over two years I have travelled thousands of miles with both of them, I also own P4Pro , I have never calibrated any of them more than once. If app tells you to calibrate or move, shut down and move, it would be detrimental to calibrate in an area where you are receiving magnetic interference.
It also can cause problems calibrating IMU unless done correctly.
Both of these and their values can be checked in the app and should always be checked prior to flying.

Calibration gives the compass the information it needs to determine which magnetic influences are part of the Mavic and what is the earth's normal magnetic field.
The compass doesn't lose calibration and doesn't ever need re-calibration unless you add or remove equipment to/from the Mavic.

IMU "Inertial measurement unit" .

As far as I see it, IMU calibration on a level surface updates a table of values the flight controller software uses as a reference for a level stationary hover. From there the craft responds predictably to flight commands.  It also likely measures any sensor noise and thermal drift so that these technical imperfections are accounted for when using IMU sensor data in flight. - this is likely why there must be no vibrations during the calibration process.

Bad IMU calibration could cause drift and attitude issues as the flight controller fights to hold the craft in what it thinks is the correct attitude as opposed to the correct physical attitude.

The IMU usually has 2 types of sensors – angle and acceleration and in turn 3 sensors of each type measuring in the X,Y and Z axis. These sensors can, through vibration, aging, impact etc, drift in their response over time and thus an IMU calibration will establish a new reference for the IMU’s level/stationary state that the flight controller can work with to restore stable flight.

Think of calibration as the bringing back into line the measured craft attitude with the true physical craft attitude.

As to how often an IMU calibration is needed, Refer to your manual ; certainly after any impact or if there are suspicions the craft can’t hover in a level attitude in a windless environment
2018-9-6
Use props
Packer Backer
lvl.4
Flight distance : 240948 ft
United States

I did not calibrate it. I don't have it but I swear I read it came calibrated and did not need it out of the box. I do not think I would have not calibrated had I just read it on a forum post.
2018-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules