Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic Air with iPad
9065 30 2018-9-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Decky
lvl.2
United Kingdom

[size=14.666666984558105px]I think this has been asked before but I'm a new member, [size=14.666666984558105px]I'm thinking of going for a Mavic Air but before buying I'm trying to find out whether there will be any problems using the controller with my 9.7" iPad instead of a phone. It’s mainly for the benefits of the larger display and I don’t want to have to buy another iPad. My iPad is only a few months old but it's Wi-fi only and doesn’t have a data connection (and therefore no GPS). I think GPS is needed to set the initial RTH point and a data connection is needed to download local maps (though maps can probably be cached beforehand). [size=14.666666984558105px]Will there be any problems with using a Wi-fi only iPad? I read some old threads elsewhere that say that the range and functionality is severely limited when using an iPad instead of a phone. Some responses suggested tethering the iPad to the phone to use the data but I don’t know how you do this when one or both are physically connected to the controller. Would[size=14.666666984558105px] it possible to do all the necessary initial setting up using a phone and then switch to the iPad after installing the iPad holder on the controller or does it lose all the settings when you unplug the phone? I believe you can only connect one device to the controller at a time so would it work if I connect the phone with data as normal, connect the iPad to the large USB port and switch to the iPad by unplugging the phone?
[size=14.666666984558105px]
[size=14.666666984558105px]Can anyone advise on the best iPad solution please that doesn’t lose any range or functionality?

[size=14.666666984558105px]Many thanks.

2018-9-4
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use an iPad Mini 4 with my MA and it works well.  Its a WiFi only model.  I have also tested with a 9.7 iPad and it works well too.  I do some number of Waypoint flights using Litchi, so I tether my iPad to my phone for a data connection to upload stored missions.   That works without any issues

For the 9.7 be sure you get a holder than can accommodate that size.  The one I have does...but just barely.

GPS is also not an issue as the RTH point is based on where the MA starts, not your iPad.

My iPhone  X, which is T-Mobile, had a personal hotspot option.  I use that for the iPad to get data when needed.  You can connect that before you start the DJI app, and all is well/
2018-9-4
Use props
Decky
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Many thanks DroneGuyEd, I guess there won’t be any problems using my iPad then. I've heard of Litchi, I'll have to investigate it further to see if I can make use of it.

How do you tether the iPad to the phone? I thought it needed a cable connection between the two.

I'll choose the iPad holder carefully and do some research.

I use a Galaxy J5, I've not noticed anything on it about personal hotspots.
2018-9-4
Use props
Christine96
lvl.4
United States

DroneGuyEd Posted at 2018-9-4 14:40
I use an iPad Mini 4 with my MA and it works well.  Its a WiFi only model.  I have also tested with a 9.7 iPad and it works well too.  I do some number of Waypoint flights using Litchi, so I tether my iPad to my phone for a data connection to upload stored missions.   That works without any issues

For the 9.7 be sure you get a holder than can accommodate that size.  The one I have does...but just barely.

I have an iPad mini 4 cellular but I was told the wifi only would not work because they have no GPS.   Obviously that isn't true since you are using a wifi only.
2018-9-4
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4
Flight distance : 21105262 ft

Spain

Christine96 Posted at 2018-9-4 15:47
I have an iPad mini 4 cellular but I was told the wifi only would not work because they have no GPS.   Obviously that isn't true since you are using a wifi only.

No, I think you misunderstood.
WiFi only models work ok no problem,
The only thing that won’t work is live maps and updating the home point to your location, because the device won’t have gps ( apple WiFi only models do not have gps inside)

Fly safe.
Alex.
2018-9-4
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4

Spain

And for flying, the drone has gps build inside it. So no need for the device to have the gps for flying.
2018-9-4
Use props
Decky
lvl.2
United Kingdom

So could I load the live maps using the data on the phone and then switch to the iPad or would the maps be loaded to the app on the phone? I believe you can also cache the maps on the iPad at home using a PC before you leave for the site but I don't know how big an area those maps cover.

I think that GPS is only required on the controller for updating the home point as the controller location. Without GPS on the controller the MA will use its own GPS to update the home point as the MA's location before take off. It just means that using a Wi-fi only iPad you can't get the MA to follow you if you move and you want the home point to stay with you. Does that sound about right?
2018-9-4
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I have flown many years with just the iPad Mini. I now use the Mini 4- WiFi only and never had any issues with range or GPS or home point recording before the flight. I cache my maps at home before I go out while I have connectivity. In regards to settings, I tend to use the same settings more or less all the time apart from manual exposures etc. It's certainly easier with an iPad Mini. Never tried it with a 9.7" version as seems a little overkill.
2018-9-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

A8 chip in the Mini 4 works great as long as you switch off the video cache in the app for smoother transmission
2018-9-5
Use props
Decky
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks CoreyB10, sounds like I'll be doing the same as you. I'm only using a 9.7" because that's what I have and I don’t want to buy another iPad specially.

Thanks ACW, I think my iPad has the A10 chip so should work fine. I'll look into the video settings when I set it all up.
2018-9-5
Use props
fans48510acf
New

United Kingdom

CoreyB10 Posted at 2018-9-5 02:05
I have flown many years with just the iPad Mini. I now use the Mini 4- WiFi only and never had any issues with range or GPS or home point recording before the flight. I cache my maps at home before I go out while I have connectivity. In regards to settings, I tend to use the same settings more or less all the time apart from manual exposures etc. It's certainly easier with an iPad Mini. Never tried it with a 9.7" version as seems a little overkill.

Which mini iPad did youse can't get my iPad more in 2 to connect works on my phone (5s) hope you can help
2018-9-6
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
Flight distance : 795653 ft
United States

fans48510acf Posted at 2018-9-6 01:35
Which mini iPad did youse can't get my iPad more in 2 to connect works on my phone (5s) hope you can help

Can you re-word this? It doesn't seem to make much sense
2018-9-6
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. These are the devices that is compatible with the Mavic Air:

It doesn't matter if you don't have a wi-fi or not for the iPad since it will not be used when you're going to use the aircraft to fly. If you're going to use a different device, the settings will be different. It will not save regardless if you're going to use the same account or not.
2018-9-6
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
Switzerland

Sorry, but I think you’re wrong about the settings. I use an iPad as my primary device, but occasionally use my iPhone - the settings are always carried across
2018-9-6
Use props
Decky
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks DJI Wanda, as it’s the controller that communicates by Wi-fi did you mean to say that it doesn’t matter if you have data (and therefore GPS) for the iPad since that is the main issue here? I gather that data isn’t needed for the iPad but as InvisibleName says, it will be useful if settings and changes are carried across to and from the phone.

I've now ordered my Mavic Air Combo from Heliguys for delivery tomorrow so I'll be able to check it all out .
2018-9-6
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Decky Posted at 2018-9-6 08:13
Thanks DJI Wanda, as it’s the controller that communicates by Wi-fi did you mean to say that it doesn’t matter if you have data (and therefore GPS) for the iPad since that is the main issue here? I gather that data isn’t needed for the iPad but as InvisibleName says, it will be useful if settings and changes are carried across to and from the phone.

I've now ordered my Mavic Air Combo from Heliguys for delivery tomorrow so I'll be able to check it all out [view_image].

You misunderstood me, you don’t need data to transfer the settings, they’re stored in the Mavic & are synced when the RC establishes a connection.  This is why, when you plug your phone or tablet into the RC and power up but leave your Mavic off, you can’t see most of the settings
2018-9-6
Use props
fans48510acf
New

United Kingdom

Which mini iPad did youse can't get my iPad more in 2 to connect works on my phone (5s) hope you can help

Which mini iPad did you use I have Mini 2 but will not connect it connects to my phone which is a 5s Apple one
2018-9-6
Use props
CoreyB10
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Mini 4 WiFi. USB to lightening cable in the bottom socket on the controller.
2018-9-6
Use props
Decky
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I understood you InvisibleName, I realise that data isn’t needed on the iPad which was my original query, it just means that you can’t update the home point if you move while flying. It's good that they thought to store the data on the Mavic but it seems that the whole system  is generally well thought out.
2018-9-6
Use props
DroneGuyEd
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1168140 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-9-6 06:00
Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. These are the devices that is compatible with the Mavic Air:
[view_image]

Where Wifi/Internet matters is when you use apps like Litchi and need to download a previously created and stored waypoints mission.  I use the iPhone Hot Spot, connect to the web, download, and they all is ready for flight.
2018-9-8
Use props
InvisibleName 7
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Decky Posted at 2018-9-6 09:52
I understood you InvisibleName, I realise that data isn’t needed on the iPad which was my original query, it just means that you can’t update the home point if you move while flying. It's good that they thought to store the data on the Mavic but it seems that the whole system  is generally well thought out.

From what I’ve read, you can’t update your RTH location if you move even if you do have a GPS enabled device! It appears there’s an issue with how the RC reads the Apple device’s GPS signal strength- always reports that it’s too weak.
2018-9-8
Use props
Decky
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks DroneGuyEd, I haven’t used Litchi yet but I'll have a look to see whether it’s worth having an internet connection.

Thanks InvisibleName, I seem to remember reading that in a Q&A recently. If that's the case it's a shame but it means that there’s even less of a need for a data connection. With having to wear reading glasses I may use the iPad all the time instead of a phone, it makes a big difference (I've now received the iPad holder and USB cable).
2018-9-8
Use props
Decky
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Update: You can update the RTH location but you have to do it manually on the app each time. What it doesn’t have is the dynamic home point function that the Mavic Pro has. I imagine you would need a GPS signal to do this so using a Wi-fi only iPad you would need to be aware of the limitation and stay in one place.
2018-9-8
Use props
Dalford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 619846 ft

Good tutorial on caching maps..
2018-9-8
Use props
Decky
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks Dalford, that’s useful to know (specially that the app needs to left open to avoid losing the cache).
2018-9-9
Use props
Decky
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Update: I just tried it on my iPad, I cached the local map over Wi-fi, closed the app, switched to airplane mode, opened the app again and the maps were still there. Excellent!
2018-9-9
Use props
Alex B.
lvl.4

Spain

Hmm I thought that the app needed to be left open otherwise the maps would disappear.
Good to know, thanks

Fly safely
Alex
2018-9-9
Use props
Decky
lvl.2
United Kingdom

I just ran the app again and the maps (satellite view) are still in the cache but as in the video above, the only parts that are visible are where I scanned round while fully zoomed in and connected to Wi-fi. The map seems to cover almost the whole of south east England but it's too pixelated outside of the zoomed in area I scanned in (as you would expect). The maximum size of the visible area available in the cache is probably limited by the iPad memory so with 128GB memory it might store the whole country if I want to spend the time scanning it all in!

Best try it for yourself to check it’s the same on your device in case you find you've lost the cache when out in the field.
2018-9-9
Use props
Zam44
lvl.2
Flight distance : 60958 ft
Malaysia

I use the iPad Air 2 have had no problems as far as getting gps  for return to controller it’s not a problem as long as your iPad has WiFi. It will set the gps coords. I normally link to my phone data. Have not had any problems so far.
2018-9-10
Use props
Decky
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Thanks Zam44, I take it that you mean the Wi-fi only iPad will get the gps coords because it’s tethered to your phone data. This has the same effect as having data on the iPad but I would assume that it wouldn’t get the gps coords if it wasn’t tethered. I had a word with wifey earlier and she said I could use her unused data allowance by tethering my iPad to her phone.
2018-9-10
Use props
bapski
lvl.3
Flight distance : 56171 ft
United States

Dalford Posted at 2018-9-8 18:21
Good tutorial on caching maps..
https://youtu.be/A9LcY2z2rFs

will have to take a look at this later... thank you.
2018-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules