There must be a formula
659 10 2018-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dronin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1688973 ft
Mexico

As we all know the drone seems to get lower as it gets further away.  Even to maintain contact the further away you fly the higher you must fly.   In a relatively flat open area, how high must one be to maintain contact at 4 kilometers away.  Does anyone know the formula for distance to height?

2018-9-5
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

In the city I can get around 6500 feet distance @ 170 ft up. Try 400 ft alt. Open farmland without wifi around shouldn't be a problem.
2018-9-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

DJI advise max flight altitude (120m) when maximising the range
2018-9-5
Use props
MrArcher
lvl.4
Flight distance : 401706 ft
United States

Logically I would think, all else equal, you should get less ground interference and more distance at 400ft altitude.
2018-9-5
Use props
Dronin
lvl.3
Mexico

MrArcher Posted at 2018-9-5 11:53
Logically I would think, all else equal, you should get less ground interference and more distance at 400ft altitude.

200 ft altitude flying above a street with normal buildings I recieved "weak remote signal" at 3000 ft  as I flew higher it cleared.  It was repeated at 300 ft and 5,000ft distance..    I believe it is related to the line of site angle...  I may be crazy. but it seems that one would need to be well over 400' agl to be 4 kilometers from the controller and have line of sight...
2018-9-5
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for your inquiry. The maximum distance would depend on your country and also the environment. There's should a strong GPS signal and no interferences to reach further distances when flying your drone. Please refer to the antenna for best practices as well to gain distance.

2018-9-6
Use props
Dronin
lvl.3
Mexico

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-9-6 11:38
Hi, Thanks for your inquiry. The maximum distance would depend on your country and also the environment. There's should a strong GPS signal and no interferences to reach further distances when flying your drone. Please refer to the antenna for best practices as well to gain distance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7M9JtfVwQE

thank you.

sincerely
Steve
2018-9-6
Use props
Hellsgate
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1991555 ft
Australia

It all depends on many things. If you start from a flat level environment without any buildings or trees ie no obstructions you will certainly get further than say in a city or bush land.
If you can elevate your take of point say from a hill top then you can fly much further without having to gain altitude.
Ive flown out from a hill top at an altitude agl 35 meters for just over 5 klms still had strong signal.
I dont think there is a formula as every different location has its own set of variables that would need to be introduced that can effect your signal.
2018-9-6
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Dronin Posted at 2018-9-6 12:54
thank you.

sincerely

You're welcome. Please don't hesitate to reach us in any case you need our assistance. Thank you for the support.
2018-9-9
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Dronin Posted at 2018-9-5 13:46
200 ft altitude flying above a street with normal buildings I recieved "weak remote signal" at 3000 ft  as I flew higher it cleared.  It was repeated at 300 ft and 5,000ft distance..    I believe it is related to the line of site angle...  I may be crazy. but it seems that one would need to be well over 400' agl to be 4 kilometers from the controller and have line of sight...

It's weird but once I shielded all the rear motor wiring inside the mavic.. I believe my distances went up, not to mention it's practically immune from emi now. Here's a video I flew summer 2017- I know says published this year because I made it public on youtube then unlisted it back.

2018-9-9
Use props
Dronin
lvl.3
Mexico

Hellsgate Posted at 2018-9-6 13:53
It all depends on many things. If you start from a flat level environment without any buildings or trees ie no obstructions you will certainly get further than say in a city or bush land.
If you can elevate your take of point say from a hill top then you can fly much further without having to gain altitude.
Ive flown out from a hill top at an altitude agl 35 meters for just over 5 klms still had strong signal.

Thanks,   as I thought about it more I realized I had had a brain fart.   It is clear now.
2018-9-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules