5378 12 2018-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Krakow
lvl.2
Flight distance : 466421 ft
Slovenia

Hi,

yesterday I recived my new mavic 2 pro.. First thing I planed to do was firmwere update. Because I was very eager to use I forgot to remove the gimbal lock. After 1sec I noticed my mistake and remove it.

So my question is, how much harm can you do with powerd on drone and gimbal lock on??

Kind regards, Jure
2018-9-5
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106093 ft
France

I did exactly the same yesterday
2018-9-5
Use props
Krakow
lvl.2
Flight distance : 466421 ft
Slovenia

pjollain Posted at 2018-9-5 21:47

Not a good filing, can agree
2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

From quick read of others doing similar, likely no harm was done.  But you don't want to keep repeating the mistake.  

Damage seems to come from having lock in place and leaving drone powered up for sometime.  First sign of damage seems to be message about gimbal overload. Followed by warm electric smell.
2018-9-5
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Response by DJI Thor (Admin) to similar question:
Please check if there are any error messages appear on the app. If no error message and the gimbal works fine, then the drone is all at normal. But we still suggest that be careful with this case for the next time. Because if the drone powered on with the gimbal clamp, it might cause gimbal overload and overheat. The more severe case is the damage of the gimbal, and the drone needs to be repaired in this case.
2018-9-5
Use props
fansb36ddfd1
lvl.2

pjollain Posted at 2018-9-5 21:47

Did the same as well.  Have now attached a red 'remove before flight' ribbon to cover.
2018-9-5
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It can damage the sensitive motors in the gimbal - doing once or twice should be fine but if you keep leaving the clamp on it will eventually damage the gimbal
2018-9-6
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out. Regarding your concern. If you keep having the gimbal clamp on the Gimbal when turning on this may cause damage to the Gimba and the previous post is correct as well.
2018-9-6
Use props
Mike S8
lvl.1

United States

Did this with my first Mavic many time. I finally had to attach a mini "remove before flight" ribbon that I had in the shop. Problem solved!
2018-9-6
Use props
wolfwater69
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1685472 ft
  • >>>
United States

Someone said it has sensors that shut it down when there is an over surge of power to the gimbal and it cant go throught the self check. I did the same thing and think mine is fine, didn't see any problem. Before flying next time I would do a calibration for the gimbal.
2019-4-3
Use props
wolfwater69
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

fansb36ddfd1 Posted at 2018-9-5 22:12
Did the same as well.  Have now attached a red 'remove before flight' ribbon to cover.

Thanks for that safety feature.
2019-4-3
Use props
wolfwater69
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-9-6 01:09
It can damage the sensitive motors in the gimbal - doing once or twice should be fine but if you keep leaving the clamp on it will eventually damage the gimbal

I only did it once!
2019-4-4
Use props
A J
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

wolfwater69 Posted at 4-4 08:52
I only did it once!

That's fine
2019-4-4