Neighbors are complaining!
5694 71 2018-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
HarleyGuy55
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1159409 ft

Just_nick Posted at 2018-9-9 13:41
Unless they tell you personally, they haven't said anything. If they want to be cowards about it, then they have shown they have no voice and there is no point in acknowledging what they said. Keep flying as you were until they finally stop being cowards and approach you as an adult. Otherwise, they are the equivalent of children whose opinion does not matter.

Well said... ya know I wish certain things would come to mind as some of you have told me when I’m speaking to people about drones. But once I get irritated and my anger boils to the top my mouth does not work in a tone nor wordage like it should . Speaking of drones or any other issues. I’m not a cool headed guy. When I get mad you know I’m mad and if I can’t express myself I just get quite.. Most of the time I’m that guy that’s says darnit if I would have only said that or this ... Again thank you to all that have helped ! I wish we all lived a bit closer because we would be a force to be recanized... ttul
2018-9-9
Use props
HarleyGuy55
lvl.4

No back bone... none... I’ve never and I repeat never have said nor come across to any neighbors that I’m a hard ass . I hate to think just because I ride a Harley and have a few tattoos that I look like someone you would be afraid to approach..
2018-9-9
Use props
HarleyGuy55
lvl.4
United States

So i've been flying everyday still ... But i do not go south over the train tracks unless i'm east about .5 mile just past her property line then i cross over and keep my bird around 200 ft mark if not higher... I stay away from her house/pool area because that's where the problem came to a head... apparently she's a little timid young lady and was in her swimsuit and thought i was or may have been looking at her. And although i am a man and do look anytime i can at the ladies that were said swimsuits . I'm very married and very happy and don't make a spectacle of myself trying to look at other ladies... anyway its all good thus far in the hood. I fly on my side of the tracks and have not seen a sheriff's car in a few days now nor any phone calls.   STILL no backbone if i thought for one minute someone was spying on me i would go straight to them and see whats up... before the cops are called.. I guess i'm just not a cop caller .. Anyway thanks again to all that have helped me beat this dead horse. LOL !! TTUL !
2018-9-10
Use props
rwynant V1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4842277 ft
  • >>>
United States

HarleyGuy55 Posted at 2018-9-7 03:12
Nice video ! Nigel ,Hellsgate and a few others have some great points , So i decided not to be a Prick unless provoked .. I will respect their wishes and stay away from their property . If i do happen to end up flying by them i will make sure i am high enough to not bother them. And at some point i will get a chance to show/talk to them about drones and hopefully show them what i see... As far as the lady that hung up on me after telling me that i dare not fly over her house ..... well i have buzzed by 3 or 4 times now with her outside in her garden and she didn't even hear it . I called her yesterday just to check on if she needed anything from the store and nothing was said so i apologize to her and she said why am i apologizing .. I said ... (i'm floored at this time)  so i said its for the future incase i upset you over somethingLMAO... Shes like 87 i should have realized she just jumped on the wagon just to have something to do... Anyway today i'm diving deep into FAA rules for my area and reading again and copy some stuff on paper just incase the POPO stop by to see me... We need to band together and come up with a commercial that shows and explains drones... And air it.. Educational info type stuff. Thanks again all of you ! Everyone of you had a valid idea and input.  You all have a wonderful day !

Here's a Press Release for you......

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_r ... ry.cfm?newsid=22938

Just be reasonable and respect their views.......and I WOULD be concerned, since you mentioned it,  about someone taking a shot or 2 at my drone.......

Randy
2018-9-10
Use props
HarleyGuy55
lvl.4
United States

rwynant V1 Posted at 2018-9-10 09:42
Here's a Press Release for you......

https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsid=22938

Thank you for that info. As i did mention shooters but they are in the back 40's and i rarely go back there for just that reason... and i'm doing nothing other then simply passing by at a speed of around 29 or 30 MPH . And not even filming at that time because of private areas .. That's all i need is a sheriff or whomever to imply im watching them and i go to show what im taking pics of and or videoing and there property pops up LOL ! Thanks again for your help ! Have a wonderful day !
2018-9-10
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Years ago in UK - my wife and I lived in a terrace house. It was a cul-de-sac and we all parked our cars reasonably outside our respective house fronts. Then HE moved in next door.

At first all was fine ... we all got on well ... odd invites for a drink in various houses incl. his. But it was not long before his parking became unreasonable. Not only that but he had a large black crossed dog that had a vicious streak. Often I would drive home to find his car taking up effectively his and my space by careless parking. I would have to park in another street.  I would ask him nicely if he could just move the car a few feet so I could park outside my house - his standard reply was 'f*** ***'.....
His dog was a constant worry as he failed to repair the fence between our gardens .. the fence other side of my garden was my responsibility. I put temporary up but he just let it 'ride' and shrugged shoulders - saying that if his dog 'Zeppelin' got hold of my German Shepherd - Zep would have it for dinner.

There was just no reasoning with him.

It came to head one day when again he'd parked across the line forcing me to leave my car in another road. I had to walk back with 'Jane' our dog ... As we passed the front of his house - he let Zep out and I had no option but to let 'Jane' go ... knowing that if I kept her on hold - Zep would tear her to bits.

My wife called the Police. They came and he was ranting about how my dog had attacked his and now he had to consider large vetinary bills...... I am not proud of this - but 'Jane' our thoroughbred German Shepherd 'floored' that brute of a dog ..... his Zep had to be rescued !!

What then was said by Police was very interesting ............. He was informed that due to incidents recorded at his previous residence where his dog Zeppelin had mauled other dogs, this was another but LAST warning to him - another incident and the dog would be taken and subject to compulsory 'put-down'.
We were informed in front of him that we had no case to answer for and if we wished,we could take action with Police support.

The 'spark' was gone from living there, he'd just put it out with unreasonable behaviour and attitude. No-one had done anything to create any reason for his manner. Not long after - we moved to another town and enjoyed a much better community.

I tell the story not for sympathy or score points. But to illustrate that some people are just plain awful. They have some idea in their heads that they don't need anyone else - they can do and say what they want. You can never reason with them. You try to find a middle road that you can live with.

Humans as a species are one of the worst towards each other. Most animals don't act like we do. I think if they did - they would hang their heads in shame.

Sorry about the rant ... but its life !

Nigel
2018-9-10
Use props
Al S. Alice's Handler
lvl.4
Flight distance : 50259 ft

Harley here's a link. Print this out fro reference.
https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=22938
2018-9-10
Use props
HarleyGuy55
lvl.4
United States

Al S. Alice's Handler Posted at 2018-9-10 18:19
Harley here's a link. Print this out fro reference.
https://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/news_story.cfm?newsId=22938

Thank you... I will print this out and keep it in my drone pack. with my other FAA ID and cert, Hope you have a awesome day !
2018-9-11
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

The only problem with producing docs to average billy joe is they then get all upset and it can make it worse.

Fine to have them to produce to any LEO that may get called to 'incident' .... but for joe public ? Not a good idea in my view until THEY ask you t prove it !

THEN the onus is on them to disprove.

I work with countless different nationalities and it leads to my opinion that any action with other humans can be extremely frustrating ... so I tend to stay away from the : "I can prove this" style of confrontation. I will do all I can to keep it conversational and try win over the other side by being nice.
But I will admit that if someone 'treads on my toes' - then I am liable to tread harder back !! The type of business I am in - they take no prisoners !!

Nigel
2018-9-11
Use props
HarleyGuy55
lvl.4
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-9-11 07:55
The only problem with producing docs to average billy joe is they then get all upset and it can make it worse.

Fine to have them to produce to any LEO that may get called to 'incident' .... but for joe public ? Not a good idea in my view until THEY ask you t prove it !

Thank you again Nigel , you are a wealth of info. And that's exactly my approach to this issue . I am a Maintenance Manager of a very large company and i do have a little idea on people and although sometimes some people get the best of me and step on my toes very hard in california we can no longer step back.. sorta speak.. Every other person wants the quick buck and will sue you so fast .. Anyway to my Neighbors issue.. Yes i agree and unless provoked i will be Mr. Nice guy and so far its been working great but i've also slowed way down on my flight time and path. Its sad. I was logging 3 batteries a day just flying around my area but now the wind kind of got knocked out of me and lucky if i run one battery down. last night i did one loop around my Orchard and that was it.. Unfortunately the best LOS is the direction of the neighbor that has said no ... anyway Thanks again. Have a wonderful day !  
2018-9-12
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

fly high and keep on flying.its no different than a light plane flying over their property.
2018-9-12
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

repairman Posted at 2018-9-12 03:27
fly high and keep on flying.its no different than a light plane flying over their property.

I totally agree .......... but there is the added factor of Community Relations ...

Its a difficult situation to solve and bull-headiness is not a good avenue to follow. Paranoia is not cured by feeding it further ...

Nigel
2018-9-12
Use props
dont slow down
lvl.4
Flight distance : 574977 ft

My philosophy is be polite, try to respect their privacy within reason, know the rules, and be able to back yourself up. These might be handy to know:

The aircraft sabatage act 18USC32: felony charge to damage or destroy any aircraft, manned or unmanned. Also threatening a drone or drone operator carries a felony penalty and could be subject to 5 years in prison.

49USC40.103: Gives controlling authority of the sovereignty and use of airspace to the Administrator of the FAA

49USC40.103.a2 A citizen of the United States has a public right of transit through navigable airspace
2018-9-12
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Latvia

dont slow down Posted at 2018-9-12 19:54
My philosophy is be polite, try to respect their privacy within reason, know the rules, and be able to back yourself up. These might be handy to know:

The aircraft sabatage act 18USC32: felony charge to damage or destroy any aircraft, manned or unmanned. Also threatening a drone or drone operator carries a felony penalty and could be subject to 5 years in prison.

But isn't there a clause inserted that Model Aircraft are not subject to FAA as with full size ? Basically an exception clause ? That was the big argument when FAA demanded registration and limitation of model flying a while back.

Also that right of flight surely must be limited to safe areas ? Its not just unlimited.

Not trying to be awkward or create argument, but trouble is the usual person we would be arguing with about overflying their property etc. would not be interested in FAA or other regs ... they believe they have right to restrict overflight in protection of privacy. The fact that privacy is not protected in such unless proven that drone / person / camera is deliberately spying / violating as in peeping tom etc.

Rational debate tends not to happen in these events - too often becoming a head on battle.

I think it will take time ..... eventually media will ignore the drones and people will go about their lives and the arguments we hear today will be things of the past. It was not so long ago that it was believed that travelling faster than a horse could damage your health ... that a man walked in front of a car with a flag warning people of its passing !

Nigel
2018-9-12
Use props
repairman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

solentlife Posted at 2018-9-12 07:55
I totally agree .......... but there is the added factor of Community Relations ...

Its a difficult situation to solve and bull-headiness is not a good avenue to follow. Paranoia is not cured by feeding it further ...

i dont think its being bull headiness if your flying within the regulations.but i would not fly over their house .they must be very un trusting neighbors thank god i dont have neighbors like that.
2018-9-18
Use props
djiuser_hYA3Ex2MQQC8
lvl.3
Flight distance : 765906 ft
Australia

You’ve done nothing wrong son, if you’re flying across my house at an altitude of 60m to keep the noise down you’re only passing but the minimum speed is 10 m/s less than that people think you’re spying
2019-8-10
Use props
djiuser_hYA3Ex2MQQC8
lvl.3
Australia

DroneNinja117 Posted at 2018-9-6 05:17
If I was you I'll still keep flying around till they will come and have a discussion with me, and then I'll explain why I do it and how its not harmful for them. If they have some logic behind not wanting me to fly over their house, then I'll follow it, but a "no" without logic doesnt really stop me tbh...

You’ve done nothing wrong son, if you’re flying across my house at an altitude of 60m to keep the noise down you’re only passing but the minimum speed is 10 m/s less than that people think you’re spying, you  fly must faster and at greater altitude 60m and above is great
2019-8-10
Use props
djiuser_hYA3Ex2MQQC8
lvl.3
Australia

If I was you I'll still keep flying around till they will come and have a discussion with me, and then I'll explain why I do it and how its not harmful for them. If they have some logic behind not wanting me to fly over their house, then I'll follow it, but a "no" without logic doesnt really stop me tbh...

You’ve done nothing wrong son, if you’re flying across my house at an altitude of 60m to keep the noise down you’re only passing but the minimum speed is 10 m/s less than that people think you’re spying, you  fly must faster and at greater altitude 60m and above is great
2019-8-10
Use props
djiuser_hYA3Ex2MQQC8
lvl.3
Australia

2019-8-10
Use props
djiuser_hYA3Ex2MQQC8
lvl.3
Australia

HarleyGuy55 Posted at 2018-9-6 06:21
Mr. DroneNinja117 . Thats is exactly what my first thought was... Trust me i was P' Oed and I'm thinking i'm not bothering anyone... But yes i am or they would not say anything... And if i was a rogue drone guy that's exactly what i would do. But i believe i have a .... lack of term.... responsibility to  the drone community to try and work this out... I sit here and ask myself what if it was my house they were flying over... well i wouldn't care one bit as long as i didn't look out my window and see it looking back at me . My wife and i both skinny dip in our PRIVATE backyard pool and 99.9% at night and if a drone flew overhead i still wouldn't care as long as my pic didn't end up on the web. lol. I don't know you guys i truly feel like they should mind there own beeswax but don't want to end up being hated by the haters... And i don't want to be that guy that gives the drone world another check mark from the BIG brothers.

You’ve done nothing wrong son, if you’re flying across my house at an altitude of 60m to keep the noise down you’re only passing but the minimum speed is 10 m/s less than that people think you’re spying, you  fly must faster and at greater altitude 60m and above is great  Speed of 40kph plus is recommended
2019-8-10
Use props
djiuser_hYA3Ex2MQQC8
lvl.3
Australia

HarleyGuy55 Posted at 2018-9-6 06:21
Mr. DroneNinja117 . Thats is exactly what my first thought was... Trust me i was P' Oed and I'm thinking i'm not bothering anyone... But yes i am or they would not say anything... And if i was a rogue drone guy that's exactly what i would do. But i believe i have a .... lack of term.... responsibility to  the drone community to try and work this out... I sit here and ask myself what if it was my house they were flying over... well i wouldn't care one bit as long as i didn't look out my window and see it looking back at me . My wife and i both skinny dip in our PRIVATE backyard pool and 99.9% at night and if a drone flew overhead i still wouldn't care as long as my pic didn't end up on the web. lol. I don't know you guys i truly feel like they should mind there own beeswax but don't want to end up being hated by the haters... And i don't want to be that guy that gives the drone world another check mark from the BIG brothers.

You’ve done nothing wrong son, if you’re flying across my house at an altitude of 60m to keep the noise down you’re only passing but the minimum speed is 10 m/s less than that people think you’re spying, you  fly must faster and at greater altitude 60m and above is great  Speed of 40kph plus is recommended
2019-8-10
Use props
djiuser_hYA3Ex2MQQC8
lvl.3
Australia

HarleyGuy55 Posted at 2018-9-6 08:28
Great freaking idea ! I'll pass on the call her part and i'll hold my bird on the ground for a couple days .. well not on the ground here ,there's plenty of other places i can fly. I'll wait and be a good boy till Saturday  or better yet next time she calls for either of us to help her then i'll find out why her old lady underwear are all bunched up. and talk about things. I have to admit i did not expect this type of input .. I really thought most of you would tell me to do what they are asking...  Anyway thank you all for your opinions and help. it's comforting to know that we as drone operators kind of feel the same way when it comes to people being unreasonable with their demands! I do feel better about things. So i'm not selling anything and i'm going to continue to fly but this time out i'll make sure if i happen to end up over there places i'll be well above the 200 or 300 ft mark as long as there's no aircraft going by my area! I'm aloud 400 feet and can go much much higher with permission .  Anyway Thanks again to all of you ! Have a awesome day and a even better tomorrow !

2019-8-10
Use props
djiuser_hYA3Ex2MQQC8
lvl.3
Australia

2019-8-10
Use props
djiuser_hYA3Ex2MQQC8
lvl.3
Australia

Sayhelloforme Posted at 2018-9-8 09:29
My father was flying my drone July 4th at dusk and a neighbor that goes to the same church as we do came to the front of our street and cussed him out 1/2 drunk saying if you fly over my house I’ll shoot it down. We have 2 drone flyers close to my house and one of them flew over this guys house and not my dad. My dad was in shock and didn’t say anything to the guy. If you are flying 400 feet or even 300 feet and not hovering , there is nothing they can do.  It’s a felony to shoot down a drone    I understand about privacy  And do respect that but  if you’re flying in a field then fly on but I would not fly over their house.

2019-8-10
Use props
djiuser_hYA3Ex2MQQC8
lvl.3
Australia

Sayhelloforme Posted at 2018-9-8 19:03
good. I'm happy to hear that. Some people just get so freaked out over a drone and they think its looking at them.99% of the time, I am looking straight ahead. Happy flying.

Haha lol me too!

2019-8-10
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

djiuser_hYA3Ex2MQQC8 Posted at 8-10 20:07
You’ve done nothing wrong son!

You, on the other hand, have done quite a few things wrong...

2019-8-11
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

If someone objects to my drone flying habit as being a privacy or safety issue then I usually take it upon myself to always respect the feelings of others. With that said, it doesn't mean I don't go out of my way to see if a case of persuasion may tilt the matter back in my favor. By persuasion, I refer to using my interpersonal skills to attempt at befriending their tastes and preferences to my hobby of drone flying. Expect these people to have a sense of ignorance with drones, and by accepting that understand you are an ambassador to this up and coming phenomenon that experts project will proliferate in popularity 4x fold by 2022. Explain this to your neighbor, inform them about who DJI is and how they are revolutionizing drone and camera technology. Everyone finds photography fascinating, your neighbors are no different. Once they can comprehend it's a high end camera first, then they can assimilate with how it's an autonomous flying unmanned aircraft with many failsafe mechanisms geared towards promoting a high level of safety being troubleshooted and tested continuously around the clock by an exponential amount of people as well as DJI.

I hope this helps and best of luck continuing on your drone flying journey.
2019-8-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

David Martin Graff Posted at 8-11 02:54
If someone objects to my drone flying habit as being a privacy or safety issue then I usually take it upon myself to always respect the feelings of others. With that said, it doesn't mean I don't go out of my way to see if a case of persuasion may tilt the matter back in my favor. By persuasion, I refer to using my interpersonal skills to attempt at befriending their tastes and preferences to my hobby of drone flying. Expect these people to have a sense of ignorance with drones, and by accepting that understand you are an ambassador to this up and coming phenomenon that experts project will proliferate in popularity 4x fold by 2022. Explain this to your neighbor, inform them about who DJI is and how they are revolutionizing drone and camera technology. Everyone finds photography fascinating, your neighbors are no different. Once they can comprehend it's a high end camera first, then they can assimilate with how it's an autonomous flying unmanned aircraft with many failsafe mechanisms geared towards promoting a high level of safety being troubleshooted and tested continuously around the clock by an exponential amount of people as well as DJI.

I hope this helps and best of luck continuing on your drone flying journey.

Did you just buy a brand new thesaurus?
2019-8-11
Use props
Mark Weiss
lvl.4
United States

For the gun problem, I just put a 2 liter coke bottle over the barrel and fire away.
I got some new neighbors that built in the wooded area across from me, but they only call the cops every time I turn on my stereo. The cops got tired of responding, partly because they are in the next town over and not my town. People are jerks, expecially the ones that moved up here from NYS.

If you're in the air, technically, under the law, there is nothing they can do, legally. Find a balance between good neighbor policy and freedom to fly your drone. It can be challenging.
2019-8-11
Use props
Bashy
First Officer
Flight distance : 2354357 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_hYA3Ex2MQQC8 Posted at 8-10 20:07
Haha lol me too!

You’ve done nothing wrong son, if you’re flying across my house at an altitude of 60m to keep the noise down you’re only passing but the minimum speed is 10 m/s less than that people think you’re spying, you  fly must faster and at greater altitude 60m and above is great  Speed of 40kph plus is recommended

Heard ya the 1st time  
2019-8-11
Use props
David Martin Graff
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>
United States

Geebax Posted at 8-11 14:39
Did you just buy a brand new thesaurus?

I'm sorry for sounding lost but what leads you to believe this? If you can clue me in on your thought process it will help me for future posts. Thanks for taking the time to leave your comment.
2019-8-11
Use props
Jeff Millard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 503635 ft
  • >>>
United States

So, around a year ago a neighbor came over to my driveway as I was flying directly over my house. The camera was making a pano so there was some odd noise as it turned and framed, turned and framed. She said "There's a bunch of people talking about you flying that thing over their back yard! It's kinda creepy!" I said "OK" then stopped the camera, flew back over the back yard and went through the house to retrieve it. I don't ever fly away from my own property when I fly at home. It's very crowded and I imagined in advance people wouldn't be happy about it. So, one house at a time, I've knocked on doors with my Mavic in hand. I asked openly if they'd seen it, and if they have a problem with me flying "over their back yards." Over about three months, I've talked to the residents of about 35 homes. Not one neighbor outside of the 5 homes immediately around my home even knew there was a drone flying near their homes. Half a dozen asked for aerial photos of their homes, and one guy asked if I'd video him driving his 4WD truck down the street. Another guy asked me if I could help him look at his gutters to see if they needed cleaning. Since the "creepy" lady came to my driveway, I've barely flown around my home. One bad apple... We don't even acknowledge each other when we pass now. It's kinda creepy having a neighbor I can't or won't interact with. The nice thing for me is, I've made a few new friends in the neighborhood... and they all refer to her as "The creepy lady!"

Jeff
2019-8-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules