12Next >
2219 45 2018-9-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jpnharris
lvl.2
Flight distance : 289567 ft
United States

I experienced gimbal overload error which recalibration could not fix. Returned to DJI California for repair 4 September. No crashes or hard landings. I read quite a few posts about this error on the Mavic pro but not on the Mavic 2 Pro.
2018-9-6
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

Sorry to hear about that. Hopefully that get you a replacement one back ASAP. So far I haven't heard anyone else with this issue on the M2P... yet.
2018-9-6
Use props
cap7ainclu7ch
lvl.2
Flight distance : 41683 ft
United States

It's a common problem on the M2P right now.  We are still waiting on an official DJI response.
2018-9-6
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Was there any scratches on the Gimbal out of the box ?
2018-9-6
Use props
FatherXmas
First Officer
Flight distance : 4058619 ft
  • >>>

Following this post. On the maiden flight of my M2P, about 2 minutes into it, I got a gimbal overload error and the gimbal started going up and down, left and right like it had gone insane. I immediately landed and power cycled it then calibrated everything. I now have about 10 hours on it and the issue has never come back so with luck, it won't come back.
2018-9-6
Use props
dari_017
Second Officer
Flight distance : 6016004 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had a gimbal overload error on my Mavic 2 Pro yesterday , but it was totally my fault , I take off from a landing pad, I had the landing pad on top of some high grass , so because of this the clearance between the gimbal and the landing pad was not enough, and the gimbal got stuck while doing the initial re calibration, after that I restarted the drone and it was all good again. But from now on just to be sure, i'm letting the drone do the initial gimbal self calibration while I hold it in the air , the gimbal on the Mavic 2 Pro is way bigger than the one on the Mavic Pro , so I can see people getting obstructions problems with this.
2018-9-6
Use props
jpnharris
lvl.2
United States

Kingram Posted at 2018-9-6 10:42
Was there any scratches on the Gimbal out of the box ?

no scratches, and free movement of the gimbal as far as I could tell
2018-9-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi jpnharris, we are so sorry for the troubles with Mavic 2 Pro, we managed to get the case number, the drone is on the way to the repair center, our repair team will help to make the evaluation and get it fixed, hope you will get it back soon, if you need any assistance during this process, please don't hesitate to contact us.
2018-9-6
Use props
cap7ainclu7ch
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-6 18:39
Hi jpnharris, we are so sorry for the troubles with Mavic 2 Pro, we managed to get the case number, the drone is on the way to the repair center, our repair team will help to make the evaluation and get it fixed, hope you will get it back soon, if you need any assistance during this process, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Has DJI figured out the problem thats causing all of these gimbal overload issues on the M2P?
2018-9-6
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

cap7ainclu7ch Posted at 2018-9-6 18:49
Has DJI figured out the problem thats causing all of these gimbal overload issues on the M2P?

Hi there, the package of OP hasn't arrived in the facility yet, may I know if you have the same issue?
2018-9-8
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

dari_017 Posted at 2018-9-6 11:18
I had a gimbal overload error on my Mavic 2 Pro yesterday , but it was totally my fault , I take off from a landing pad, I had the landing pad on top of some high grass , so because of this the clearance between the gimbal and the landing pad was not enough, and the gimbal got stuck while doing the initial re calibration, after that I restarted the drone and it was all good again. But from now on just to be sure, i'm letting the drone do the initial gimbal self calibration while I hold it in the air , the gimbal on the Mavic 2 Pro is way bigger than the one on the Mavic Pro , so I can see people getting obstructions problems with this.

Maybe people forgetting to take the gimbal cover off too before they turn it on. On the m1, a lot of us drilled a hole in the gimbal lock and attached a cord to the tag- remove from aircraft before flying
2018-9-8
Use props
dari_017
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2018-9-8 01:41
Maybe people forgetting to take the gimbal cover off too before they turn it on. On the m1, a lot of us drilled a hole in the gimbal lock and attached a cord to the tag- remove from aircraft before flying

Yes that one is definitely the number one cause of gimbals going bad , it is ok if it happens a couple times, but if you forget often to remove it, eventually the motor on the gimbal will wear out.
2018-9-8
Use props
fans33f0f9bb
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1654265 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

i too have same error on MP2. First floght no issue. Auto landing. second flight took off, overload. Returned straight away. Gimbal free moving all directions. Restarted, no error. Next flight, overload.

Cant see anything obvious on gimbal but have noticed on xontroller C1 is quite depresser, still works hough but not a proper press like c2.

Also no reaction when using left thumbwheel to love gimbal up and down. Thumbwheel moves. Gbal doesnt.

Return under warranty?.
2018-9-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

fans33f0f9bb Posted at 2018-9-8 13:22
i too have same error on MP2. First floght no issue. Auto landing. second flight took off, overload. Returned straight away. Gimbal free moving all directions. Restarted, no error. Next flight, overload.

Cant see anything obvious on gimbal but have noticed on xontroller C1 is quite depresser, still works hough but not a proper press like c2.

If you have already tried refreshing FW, setting C1 to do nothing; then I would return it under warranty.
2018-9-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

dari_017 Posted at 2018-9-6 11:18
I had a gimbal overload error on my Mavic 2 Pro yesterday , but it was totally my fault , I take off from a landing pad, I had the landing pad on top of some high grass , so because of this the clearance between the gimbal and the landing pad was not enough, and the gimbal got stuck while doing the initial re calibration, after that I restarted the drone and it was all good again. But from now on just to be sure, i'm letting the drone do the initial gimbal self calibration while I hold it in the air , the gimbal on the Mavic 2 Pro is way bigger than the one on the Mavic Pro , so I can see people getting obstructions problems with this.

This is the most common cause of gimbal overload, if your not going to have clearance when starting the drone, it won’t do any harm to hold the craft up of the ground a couple of inches let the gimbal do its dance then put back down and wait for gps lock .
2018-9-8
Use props
dari_017
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-8 13:40
This is the most common cause of gimbal overload, if your not going to have clearance when starting the drone, it won’t do any harm to hold the craft up of the ground a couple of inches let the gimbal do its dance then put back down and wait for gps lock .

Yeah that’s exactly what I’m doing from now on , the gimbal on the Mavic 2 Pro is huge.
2018-9-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

dari_017 Posted at 2018-9-8 15:12
Yeah that’s exactly what I’m doing from now on , the gimbal on the Mavic 2 Pro is huge.

It is quite big compared to M1.
2018-9-8
Use props
cap7ainclu7ch
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-8 00:36
Hi there, the package of OP hasn't arrived in the facility yet, may I know if you have the same issue?

Plenty of posts on this forum regarding this issue already.  

https://forum.dji.com/thread-164435-1-1.html?pbc=mF6h4ZTt
2018-9-8
Use props
jpnharris
lvl.2
United States

fans33f0f9bb Posted at 2018-9-8 13:22
i too have same error on MP2. First floght no issue. Auto landing. second flight took off, overload. Returned straight away. Gimbal free moving all directions. Restarted, no error. Next flight, overload.

Cant see anything obvious on gimbal but have noticed on xontroller C1 is quite depresser, still works hough but not a proper press like c2.

Yes I did a warranty return. Be advised that I used DJI's supplied UPS label, took in in late afternoon on the Sept 4th and doesn't get delivered until the Sept 10th. I thought the pony express was out of business, had I realized I'd have sprung for a quicker vehicle.
2018-9-8
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

cap7ainclu7ch Posted at 2018-9-8 15:55
Plenty of posts on this forum regarding this issue already.  

https://forum.dji.com/thread-164435-1-1.html?pbc=mF6h4ZTt

Hi there, our admins have replied your post in this thread, normally, it occurs when we haven't removed the gimbal clamp that holds the gimbal and avoids to move freely or if the drone experiences an incident that may lead to the gimbal problem.
Just to verify, will the gimbal self-check after powering on?
2018-9-11
Use props
jpnharris
lvl.2
United States

I just got a this from DJI...         "Dear customer, We regret that the service is not covered by warranty based on the results of damage assessment, please find details as below: Damage gimbal arm We will either repair it or replace it with a product that’s new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit (http://www.dji.com/service/policy) "
2018-9-11
Use props
jpnharris
lvl.2
United States

jpnharris Posted at 2018-9-11 18:04
I just got a this from DJI...         "Dear customer, We regret that the service is not covered by warranty based on the results of damage assessment, please find details as below: Damage gimbal arm We will either repair it or replace it with a product that’s new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit (http://www.dji.com/service/policy) "

No futher explanation ... As I read DJI's warranty gimbal is covered for 6 months, is that the typical service I can expect from DJI? If so maybe I bought the wrong drone.
2018-9-11
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

DJI wants to charge you for Gimbal overload on a  new  Mavic 2 ?   You don't have Care Refresh or State Farm coverage ?

2018-9-12
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Why would you want to use refresh (which costs money) for a warranty issue?

2018-9-12
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-12 06:10
Why would you want to use refresh (which costs money) for a warranty issue?

Because DJI is saying it isn't a warranty issue and want to charge him .
I just got a this from DJI...         "Dear customer, We regret that the service is not covered by warranty based on the results of damage assessment, please find details as below: Damage gimbal arm We will either repair it or replace it with a product that’s new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit (http://www.dji.com/service/policy) "

2018-9-12
Use props
Mini-G
Second Officer
Flight distance : 673862 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Just another early model glitch?
2018-9-12
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

Nothing to see here everything is just  fine.

2018-9-12
Use props
jpnharris
lvl.2
United States

Kingram Posted at 2018-9-12 06:04
DJI wants to charge you for Gimbal overload on a  new  Mavic 2 ?   You don't have Care Refresh or State Farm coverage ?

Yes they want to charge me. I did buy the Care Refresh however I don't think I'd want to bring that into play for what should be a warranty issue. I wonder how good the Care Refresh would work based on this experience with warranty.
2018-9-12
Use props
cap7ainclu7ch
lvl.2
United States

jpnharris Posted at 2018-9-12 07:08
Yes they want to charge me. I did buy the Care Refresh however I don't think I'd want to bring that into play for what should be a warranty issue. I wonder how good the Care Refresh would work based on this experience with warranty.

That's disgusting.  I have email's from DJI support stating they are aware of the issue and that they think its from poor packing and the gimbals being damaged during shipping.  Definitely fight it.  There are way too many people having similar issues for it to be user caused.  Also if you bought it from DJI directly, their store policy clearly states that you can get a refund if the product is defective (I do believe that's within 14 days), and if its past that already they should 100% repair it for free.
2018-9-12
Use props
cap7ainclu7ch
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-11 02:53
Hi there, our admins have replied your post in this thread, normally, it occurs when we haven't removed the gimbal clamp that holds the gimbal and avoids to move freely or if the drone experiences an incident that may lead to the gimbal problem.
Just to verify, will the gimbal self-check after powering on?

You guys need to step it up.  This isn't isn't caused by user error.  This is a DEFECT in the product.  The gimbals are breaking with light to no use.  As I stated earlier I've found at least 20 cases online now (which means there are probably many more undocumented ones) and I've already had DJI confirm that the issue is indeed real and not user caused.  Nothing to do with the gimbal clamp being left on.  It's frustrating to see DJI treating it's customers like this.
2018-9-12
Use props
jpnharris
lvl.2
United States

cap7ainclu7ch Posted at 2018-9-12 17:18
That's disgusting.  I have email's from DJI support stating they are aware of the issue and that they think its from poor packing and the gimbals being damaged during shipping.  Definitely fight it.  There are way too many people having similar issues for it to be user caused.  Also if you bought it from DJI directly, their store policy clearly states that you can get a refund if the product is defective (I do believe that's within 14 days), and if its past that already they should 100% repair it for free.

Thanks, i sent and email to support and they are re-evaluating, hope to hear something soon. In the meantime I'm grounded.
2018-9-12
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

cap7ainclu7ch Posted at 2018-9-12 17:18

Can you post a picture of the Email from DJI ?
Thanks
2018-9-12
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

cap7ainclu7ch Posted at 2018-9-12 17:21
You guys need to step it up.  This isn't isn't caused by user error.  This is a DEFECT in the product.  The gimbals are breaking with light to no use.  As I stated earlier I've found at least 20 cases online now (which means there are probably many more undocumented ones) and I've already had DJI confirm that the issue is indeed real and not user caused.  Nothing to do with the gimbal clamp being left on.  It's frustrating to see DJI treating it's customers like this.

This issue has been forwarded to our engineers for attention, it is recommended to refresh the firmware, if the issue persists, please send in for further evaluation, we sincerely apologize again for the trouble caused.
2018-9-13
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
United States

Ok then let us know what the engineers say because some of us are on the fence thinking about buying the Mavic 2 Pro and are concerned about the Gimbals being damaged during shipping because of poor packaging and the Gimbal cover coming off and some being scratched and banged around resulting in Gimbal failure issues etc.
2018-9-13
Use props
Trike
lvl.2
Flight distance : 542972 ft
United States

I flew my M2 pro for the first time today and also getting a lot of gimbal overload errors when flying sideways. I can reduce the occurrence if I fly very slow, but it still occurs.  I tried flying about 20ft up where I know there wasn't any wind and was able to reproduce it when flying sideways back and forth quickly.

My M2 pro was shipped via ground and took 7 days to get to me, so it bounced around a truck for a while.  My gimbal protector was still attached and didn't notice any scratches on my M2.
2018-9-13
Use props
jpnharris
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-11 02:53
Just to verify, will the gimbal self-check after powering on?

It would go through some movements and end up tilted at about a 30 degree angle from horizontal. It wasn't funcional at this point, couldn't get it to tilt with the thumb wheel.
2018-9-13
Use props
jpnharris
lvl.2
United States

Trike Posted at 2018-9-13 09:27
I flew my M2 pro for the first time today and also getting a lot of gimbal overload errors when flying sideways. I can reduce the occurrence if I fly very slow, but it still occurs.  I tried flying about 20ft up where I know there wasn't any wind and was able to reproduce it when flying sideways back and forth quickly.

My M2 pro was shipped via ground and took 7 days to get to me, so it bounced around a truck for a while.  My gimbal protector was still attached and didn't notice any scratches on my M2.

I hope you can get it resolved through calibration locally. When mine worked wind or direction were not an issue. That would be very frustrating. If you do have to send it in the UPS label they provided is ground transport (6 days from TN to CA). Might consider if it you want to try to get it to them faster.
2018-9-13
Use props
jpnharris
lvl.2
United States

Was there any scratches on the Gimbal out of the box ?

I did not notice any scratches on it when I sent it in for warranty service. I sent it in it original box (packed inside another box) with the gimbal cover attached. They posted a picture of a gimbal in the repair status service request today of a gimbal with scratches. I believe I would have notice this type of damage if it were there went I sent it in. It did go UPS ground so bounced around in a truck for 6 days.  

3eb9c886-654f-4efa-95c3-60b4b07d040b r1.jpg
2018-9-13
Use props
jpnharris
lvl.2
United States

Not sure how the marks got there but the only scratches what would affect gimbal motion would have to be where two parts touch each other such as a joint or or swivel. Those parts would have bearing to minimize friction. Marks shown in the picture should not impact function at all.
2018-9-13
Use props
jpnharris
lvl.2
United States

Was there any scratches on the Gimbal out of the box ?

I found and interesting youtube video related to your question. Skip to 19:46 into the video. For those with mavic 2 you might want to watch this video and examine your gimbals and gimal covers for this type of wear.

2018-9-16
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules