Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
DJI Ronin S with a Canon 5D iii Mark 3 - What can/can't it do?
8711 13 2018-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
coffee_king
lvl.2
Flight distance : 44160 ft
United Kingdom

Hi Guys
I'm considering buying a Ronin S to use with my Canon 5D Mark 3.
What can/can't the Ronis S do with a 5D mark 3 attached to it?
Do any of the functions on the unit not work?
Do any of the functions on the app not work?
Is anyone having any particular issues/problems/niggles?
etc etc

Thanks in advance.
2018-9-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hi there, thanks for your interest in Ronin-S, please kindly check the picture below of the compatibility with 5D MK III, hope it helps. GTScreenshot_20180907_173035.png
2018-9-7
Use props
coffee_king
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-7 01:34
Hi there, thanks for your interest in Ronin-S, please kindly check the picture below of the compatibility with 5D MK III, hope it helps.[view_image]

I'm running  Canon firmware version 1.2.3 on my 5D mark 3 as I use Magic Lantern with it.
Does that mean NONE of the control features or the camera set up methods will work on it?
2018-9-7
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

coffee_king Posted at 2018-9-7 01:49
I'm running  Canon firmware version 1.2.3 on my 5D mark 3 as I use Magic Lantern with it.
Does that mean NONE of the control features or the camera set up methods will work on it?

Sorry that we are unable to provide more info about this since we never tested the external firmware like Magic Lantern. All the control features are based on the camera's firmware, sorry for the inconvenience.
2018-9-9
Use props
coffee_king
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-9 22:35
Sorry that we are unable to provide more info about this since we never tested the external firmware like Magic Lantern. All the control features are based on the camera's firmware, sorry for the inconvenience.

I'm not talking about using Magic Lantern with it per say, I'm talking about it running on Canon firmware version 1.2.3
As in what features are available on the Ronin S on a Canon 5D Mark 3 with Canon firmware version 1.2.3?
2018-9-9
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

coffee_king Posted at 2018-9-9 22:46
I'm not talking about using Magic Lantern with it per say, I'm talking about it running on Canon firmware version 1.2.3
As in what features are available on the Ronin S on a Canon 5D Mark 3 with Canon firmware version 1.2.3?

The control features are tested with the v1.3.5 Canon firmware, currently, only 'Start/stop recording video'
and 'Capture photo' are available, the control features in lower firmware cannot be fully guaranteed, it is recommended to update the Canon firmware to the latest version for better performance, thanks for your understanding.
2018-9-10
Use props
coffee_king
lvl.2
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2018-9-10 00:59
The control features are tested with the v1.3.5 Canon firmware, currently, only 'Start/stop recording video'
and 'Capture photo' are available, the control features in lower firmware cannot be fully guaranteed, it is recommended to update the Canon firmware to the latest version for better performance, thanks for your understanding.

Yes I know Canon recommend updating to the latest firmware but Magic Lantern will NOT run on the latest firmware which is why many of us 5D iii users will not even update. This is why I'm asking what the Ronin S will do on MY current firmware so I can see if its worth buying or not.
2018-9-10
Use props
coffee_king
lvl.2
United Kingdom

coffee_king Posted at 2018-9-10 01:04
Yes I know Canon recommend updating to the latest firmware but Magic Lantern will NOT run on the latest firmware which is why many of us 5D iii users will not even update. This is why I'm asking what the Ronin S will do on MY current firmware so I can see if its worth buying or not.

I can CONFIRM that the focus wheel and all other settings mentioned work with Canon Firmware 1.2.3 and running Magic Lantern
2018-10-26
Use props
oscargch
New
United States

So... I bought this product and plugged in my Canon 5D Mark III camera to it with the cable and adapter. The follow focus works but it moves super slowly and it makes a clicking sound while I´m moving the dial. What´s up with that? Thanks!
2019-3-15
Use props
ISHMEVS
lvl.1

Canada

Hello - can someone help - I have a canon 5d Miii and the focus wheel is not working - flashing red - My cam is plugged Usb Mini B to USB C on the gimbal - are there settings I need to handle inside my cam ?
2020-11-6
Use props
RickyBat
lvl.2
Flight distance : 317116 ft
United States

oscargch Posted at 2019-3-15 14:32
So... I bought this product and plugged in my Canon 5D Mark III camera to it with the cable and adapter. The follow focus works but it moves super slowly and it makes a clicking sound while I´m moving the dial. What´s up with that? Thanks!

it maybe the lens you are using, some lenses are super noisy for some reason when using the focus wheel, i have my 24-70 L version 1 and its super smooth and quiet, but my Tokina 16-28 sounds so loud its actually quite annoying
2020-11-9
Use props
ISHMEVS
lvl.1

Canada

RickyBat Posted at 11-9 06:55
it maybe the lens you are using, some lenses are super noisy for some reason when using the focus wheel, i have my 24-70 L version 1 and its super smooth and quiet, but my Tokina 16-28 sounds so loud its actually quite annoying

my focus wheel - blinks red and doesnt connect - doesnt work , what am i doing wrong ?
2020-11-10
Use props
EdeH
lvl.1

Sweden

Hi, I'm using a 5D Mark IV and trying to connect to the raveneye. I've connected all cables properly, all slots work and I'm using the latest canon firmware. I can control the RS2 with the phone, but I don't get any video on it (no picture at all, all black) and can't record.

Do I need to make any changes on the camera or what else could it be?
2020-11-10
Use props
coffee_king
lvl.2
United Kingdom

EdeH Posted at 11-10 13:51
Hi, I'm using a 5D Mark IV and trying to connect to the raveneye. I've connected all cables properly, all slots work and I'm using the latest canon firmware. I can control the RS2 with the phone, but I don't get any video on it (no picture at all, all black) and can't record.

Do I need to make any changes on the camera or what else could it be?

This post is about the Ronin S, not the Ronin RS2 and its accessories.
I would suggest you start your own post on the correct forum group.
2020-11-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules