Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Will DJI fix Mavic 2 Pro camera?
1234Next >
12435 128 2018-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
simis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405102 ft
Latvia

Just come accross two different responses from DJI regarding lens distortion on Mavic 2 Pro..........

Good news

Good news

Bad news

Bad news
2018-9-7
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Har de har har.
2018-9-7
Use props
Oracle Miata
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don’t even bother with moderators on this forum...
2018-9-7
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-7 07:15
Well now that we know it uses the Ambarella H3 processor, we know it has more than enough processing power to correct the lens distortion.

They could, but on the other hand you can argue why bother as its such a quick post fix (and it only affects footage that must be post processed)
2018-9-7
Use props
HCL
lvl.1
Germany

gnirtS Posted at 2018-9-7 08:16
They could, but on the other hand you can argue why bother as its such a quick post fix (and it only affects footage that must be post processed)

In many cases i agree with your posts but following the discussion about this topic it feels you flip your position on this quite often ;-)
And as posted more than ones ... it is only "quick" AND acceptable if you have the right correction profile AND it fits in your host application and production workflow. Using the build in optical compensation in after effects for example can make it BETTER and maybe acceptable for GoPro footage but not good enough considering the level of quality i want to achieve with 10bit footage coming out of this hasselblad camera. At this level and price point i want spot on correction. You can say it's easy and accaptable for you but you can't generalize it.
2018-9-7
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Our apologies for the confusion. To clarify this concern, the video captured in the DLOG-M and HLG color modes is uniformly encoded using 10bits H.265 for greater post-processing space. But 10bits video cannot complete distortion correction in the aircraft directly, it needs to be post-processed.There is much software that supports distortion correction, therefore, we recommend you to solve it by themselves. If users want an image that is not distorted too much, recommend users use the normal color mode for video shooting. Thanks for your understanding.
2018-9-7
Use props
simis
lvl.4
Latvia

I got feeling gnirtS is on DJI payroll
2018-9-7
Use props
simis
lvl.4
Latvia

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-9-7 09:33
Our apologies for the confusion. To clarify this concern, the video captured in the DLOG-M and HLG color modes is uniformly encoded using 10bits H.265 for greater post-processing space. But 10bits video cannot complete distortion correction in the aircraft directly, it needs to be post-processed.There is much software that supports distortion correction, therefore, we recommend you to solve it by themselves. If users want an image that is not distorted too much, recommend users use the normal color mode for video shooting. Thanks for your understanding.

It supposed to be mentioned along your advertising 10-bit Dlog-M color profile
2018-9-7
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-9-7 08:02
I don’t even bother with moderators on this forum...

Are they real people? From the very generic and "copy and pasted" similar responses, I just assume they where bots.
2018-9-7
Use props
simis
lvl.4
Latvia

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-7 09:42
What about other color modes for the Mavic 2 Pro such as D-Cinelike? Are they going to be adding them? Or are we only stuck with "normal"?

Exactly!!!! Nice flat color profile. Otherwise it reminds me GoPro3
2018-9-7
Use props
HCL
lvl.1
Germany

Thank you for trying to clarify your position on this issue ... but sadly you don't. As far as my knowledge goes it can. It has absolutly nothing to do with the color space or log mode. I would be satisfied to hear a proper explaination why it is not possible on this particular camera. That coudn't be so hard and i would openly accept the added workflow on my setup. Apart from this ... why don't you answer on the requests for a proper correction profile for this particular lens so we can match the desired quality in post. You can get it for almost any dslr-lens to get a spot on correction. That also can't be so difficult.

And to make it clear ... i bought this drone mainly because of the advertised image quality and i don't wan't the normal mode. If it was for me ... that could be deleted.
2018-9-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

This contradicts what DJI Natalia has stated (a few times now) that your engineers are aware of this and are fixing the problem.

Please don't post here unless you are better informed than the average consumer, which you should be.
2018-9-7
Use props
simis
lvl.4
Latvia

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-7 10:03
This contradicts what DJI Natalia has stated (a few times now) that your engineers are aware of this and are fixing the problem.

Please don't post here unless you are better informed than the average consumer, which you should be.

2018-9-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

Have a look at DJI Wanda's screen shot response in the first post of this thread; she's stated that engineers are working to correct several times in multiple forums already...
2018-9-7
Use props
HCL
lvl.1
Germany

Seriously? Are they trying to make fun of us? I don't know how to start on this ... leaves me speechless.
2018-9-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Your correct he said dji Natalia, don’t expect an apology, he’s rude and that’s what he does.
2018-9-7
Use props
simis
lvl.4
Latvia

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-7 10:22
Your correct he said dji Natalia, don’t expect an apology, he’s rude and that’s what he does.

I'm not At least DJI told us they are NOT fixing this. So.... Mavic 2 Pro Fish-Eye
2018-9-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

Sorry my bad, it was DJI Wanda and not Natalia...

Unlike hallmark007's post, I do apologize when I see I'm in error clearly. Hallmark007 on the other hand will NEVER admit when he's wrong.
2018-9-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

HCL Posted at 2018-9-7 10:14
Seriously? Are they trying to make fun of us? I don't know how to start on this ... leaves me speechless.

I don't really think it's them making fun of us, but if you look at their responses, often they are completely canned / scripted responses, and they often don't even understand the OP's question, because their responses are completely irrelevant to what was asked...
2018-9-7
Use props
RGMGFitness
Second Officer
Flight distance : 233757 ft
  • >>>
United States

FYI:  Confirmed DJI's response on this issue in a separate DJI Forum thread here;   https://goo.gl/z1iR6y

2018-9-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-7 10:31
Hopefully there will be some more color profiles soon.

To my knowledge, a colour profile (LUT) doesn't contain lens distortion correction...

If you're a Final Cut Pro X user like me, the only thing I can see for now, is to download Alex4D's Wide Angle Fix plugin, which is now free:

http://alex4d.com/final_cut_plugins/alex4d-free-2/item/7-alex4d-wide-angle-fix-effect

This would seem to negate the barrel distortion, but it's no excuse for DJI not to enable this in the M2...
2018-9-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-7 11:03
Excellent point. It is really strange. the Ambarella H3 can do 8K30fps and 4K120fps (although in h264) but I would expect it can handle this...

TommyGA most banned person on this forum
Banned for life as
Glimmerman
Ron Harper
Montymelon

He’s not here to help anyone he’s a troll beware , trolling now for 3 years..........
2018-9-7
Use props
Mikend4w
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14642 ft
United States

Hedsic Posted at 2018-9-7 09:44
Are they real people? From the very generic and "copy and pasted" similar responses, I just assume they where bots.

Seems like just someone or thing to pat our heads like when we were in kindergarten . I haven't gotten a single resolve on anything  ,
2018-9-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-7 11:09
TommyGA most banned person on this forum
Banned for life as
Glimmerman

Let's not forget YOU got banned in 2017 for TROLLING as well...

Seems to me TommyGA is OK, and since he hasn't been a jerk to anyone, or me (unlike you) and I've just started conversing with him, I'll give him the full benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.
2018-9-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-7 11:03
Excellent point. It is really strange. the Ambarella H3 can do 8K30fps and 4K120fps (although in h264) but I would expect it can handle this...

I haven't seen this documented anywhere...

Do you have a source for this anywhere I could look up? I'm in IT and am curious about things like this
2018-9-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-7 11:20
Absolutely!  Here's the chip being used:

http://www.ambarella.com/about/news-events/press-images/H3-press-images

Hi Tommy,

Thanks for the info, but do you have a source referencing this chip actually being used in the new M2 line? I don't see any mention of DJI or Mavic in the links you provided.

Cheers
2018-9-7
Use props
HCL
lvl.1
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-7 11:09
TommyGA most banned person on this forum
Banned for life as
Glimmerman

You guys seem to have some serious issues with each other but i would recommend to leave it out of here.
2018-9-7
Use props
fans68308231
lvl.2
Flight distance : 200177 ft

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-7 11:28
Here's the M2 core board - it shows the H3. That's good news that they are using such a good chip.  They did a good teardown in the DJI reverse engineering slack group that I'm a part of.

[view_image]

Im a member there as well. Only been on it a couple of times.

Off to do some reading.

Thanks for reminder.
2018-9-7
Use props
fans980d1304
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

Here's the M2 core board - it shows the H3. That's good news that they are using such a good chip.  They did a good teardown in the DJI reverse engineering slack group that I'm a part of.

[view_image]

Maybe the chip can do it but what about extra heat? We don't know anything about how this thing works. Clearly, DJI made an intentional decision and not just an oversight. The fix is simple and free, and you can make a 1 click preset that adds the distortion correction and a Dlog-M LUT simultaneously. No extra work.

Free distortion correction - http://geni.us/DistortionCorrection
2018-9-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

[view_image]

Nice! Yes that is a very good chip, and I love to see there's that much power under the hood!

Also saw the screenshot you posted from "blade strike" from DJI Enterprise, and if that's the case, that at least is a coherent, logical explanation of why this occurring on the M2P, but still not good, as the M2 line is targeted as a "consumer" drone, but tasks like this are more professional grade, and typically require higher-end post-production software to correct, so it's understandable that a LOT of people will be ticked at this!
2018-9-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-7 11:18
Let's not forget YOU got banned in 2017 for TROLLING as well...

Seems to me TommyGA is OK, and since he hasn't been a jerk to anyone, or me (unlike you) and I've just started conversing with him, I'll give him the full benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

I got banned for 5 days because of a disagreement. He’s been banned for life more than 6 times, he loves his lackeys and guess which two he picked this time, yes yourself and HedgeTrimmer .

Check out his post.
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 274&pid=1557025

This is one of 3 accounts he has running here now. https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 274&pid=1557970
2018-9-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-7 11:51
I got banned for 5 days because of a disagreement. He’s been banned for life more than 6 times, he loves his lackeys and guess which two he picked this time, yes yourself and HedgeTrimmer .

Check out his post.

How about you do everyone here a favour and stop hijacking yet ANOTHER thread and get out? That will be much better!
So far I've never spoken with him before this thread today, and thus far, his posts have been polite, informative, coherant, and on the up-and-up, so I'm judging the book by this cover for now... You're a totally different story however, and judgement has already been passed on you long ago...
2018-9-7
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Canada

TommyGa Posted at 2018-9-7 11:52
Yeah - true. I'm sure by now engineering must know how ticked some people are and maybe they will figure out a way to do this, just like they are promising to put back in precision landing.

But even in your posting from DJI engineering, it would appear they deliberately didn't "bake in" the PL function into the M2, and don't seem too eager to put it in, despite all the sensors being available.

I typically manually land my drone, but this was a nice thing to have, and is VERY useful in many circumstances, so they better put it back fast!
2018-9-7
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-7 11:52
How about you do everyone here a favour and stop hijacking yet ANOTHER thread and get out? That will be much better!
So far I've never spoken with him before this thread today, and thus far, his posts have been polite, informative, coherant, and on the up-and-up, so I'm judging the book by this cover for now... You're a totally different story however, and judgement has already been passed on you long ago...

Yeah I think they say never judge a book by its cover or didn’t you learn that one at school, you do more thrashing of threads around here yourself.
2018-9-7
Use props
HCL
lvl.1
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-7 11:51

Check out his post.

Once again  ... can you plz stop it. It has no place here.
2018-9-7
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

HCL Posted at 2018-9-7 09:29
In many cases i agree with your posts but following the discussion about this topic it feels you flip your position on this quite often ;-)
And as posted more than ones ... it is only "quick" AND acceptable if you have the right correction profile AND it fits in your host application and production workflow. Using the build in optical compensation in after effects for example can make it BETTER and maybe acceptable for GoPro footage but not good enough considering the level of quality i want to achieve with 10bit footage coming out of this hasselblad camera. At this level and price point i want spot on correction. You can say it's easy and accaptable for you but you can't generalize it.

Hahahahahaha.
Even though I would love to be wrong, but a brand name is not equal to a product made to their former standards.
Especially with Hasselblad that has a recent history of putting their name on a 'regular' camera.
(Sony Nex-7 I believe)
And even Nikon / Sony  etc. have auto corrections on their camera's that are applied to jpeg's and if you don't want them you need to shoot raw (NEF for Nikon)
Nothing special here if you aks me.
I even remember a Panasonic camera that had very visible vignetting (you saw the edge of the lens) without the correction.
These small 'compact' camera's will always have to make optical compromises that they fix in 'post' or let you fix in post.
(if you want that of course)
And let's not forget the M2P is a drone, gimbal and a camera in one.
So it is not your DSLR (unfortunately)
It is something like a $800 drone, $200 gimbal and $200 camera or something like that.
2018-9-7
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

The fix is simple in 2 pieces of software that many of us do not use and don’t want to use.

Is it possible LumaFusion will come out with a lens profile for this camera? Same with Apple perhaps?
Couldn’t DJI, errr, Hasselblad have made the glass progressively thinner towards the sides?
2018-9-7
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

All -

Unfortunately lens correct in 10bit will not be possible .. Please understand they are using available bandwidth for the 10bit color depth.

I will also like add that dlog-m requires post no matter what or you will have a very flat image. this would be just another step to your post workflow. This is the entire point to this type of profile.

2018-9-7
Use props
Avi8tor0
lvl.3
Flight distance : 88301 ft
  • >>>
United States

You know, as a owner of multiple DJI products, I'm done.

Buying these drones is an exercise in complete frustration.

From the stripped out features to the go pro fisheye camera and the endless firmware mess that is sure to follow, it isn't worth it.

DJI responses are disjointed and conflict depending on who from DJI is responding.

My advice - buy the mavic 2 in a couple of years. By then someone might actually figure out what features will be included.

2018-9-7
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

Avi8tor0 Posted at 2018-9-7 18:39
You know, as a owner of multiple DJI products, I'm done.

Buying these drones is an exercise in complete frustration.

I'm sorry for the confusion from our support staff.

The camera has automatic lens correction except in its raw/flat shooting profiles. Same goes for i2 shooting in ProRes. I'm sorry if adding an additional step to your post processing workflow is just too much.. Maybe not use a professional type profile if you don't want to do any post processing. You will not have this issue in normal profile.

Please remember that no one is forcing you to use these modes.
2018-9-7
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules