And that single profile is it right?
2018-9-7
Use props
BIGDZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2018-9-7 18:53
I'm sorry for the confusion from our support staff.

Blade I know you mean well and your response is valid, but the M2P should at the very least have Dlog and Dcinelike  camera settings in h264. I’m fine with fixing lens distortion in post but to not have those settings, really blows.
2018-9-7
Use props
simis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405102 ft
Latvia

fans980d1304 Posted at 2018-9-7 11:39
Maybe the chip can do it but what about extra heat? We don't know anything about how this thing works. Clearly, DJI made an intentional decision and not just an oversight. The fix is simple and free, and you can make a 1 click preset that adds the distortion correction and a Dlog-M LUT simultaneously. No extra work.

Free distortion correction - http://geni.us/DistortionCorrection

That free distortion correction is ok for backyard filming Co. Still noticeable barrel distortion
2018-9-8
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2018-9-7 18:00
All -

Unfortunately lens correct in 10bit will not be possible .. Please understand they are using available bandwidth for the 10bit color depth.     I will also like add that dlog-m requires post no matter what or you will have a very flat image. this would be just another step to your post workflow. This is the entire point to this type of profile.

Personally, I'm ok with doing post, including lens correction.

But for me most important thing that is shockingly not available in the Mavic 2 series of drones, is Cinema 4K. Period.

DJI wants us to see "The Bigger Picture", and lowers the resolution from their previous Mavic, from C4K to Ultra HD. Yet they market the Mavic 2 as a 4K drone (yes, I know UHD is also called 4K despite it is 3.8K).

It simply breaks cinema workflow. It breaks the valuable workflow between the various DJI drones. I have P3Pro, P4, inspire 1 (two of them with X5 and X5R), Inspire 2 with X5S, Osmo. All of them, even the old P3, have C4K.

The Mavic 2 cameras are better than the old Mavic cameras, yet they cripple the resolution! I simply do not understand this major leap *backwards* from DJI. Maybe there is a valid excuse for it, but with a H3 chip in the Pro, I simply do not get it. I would be glad if someone from DJI can enlighten me regarding this issue.

Hopefully we see a firmware fix for this. It is in my view, the most important thing to fix with the Mavic 2.
2018-9-8
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
Flight distance : 872694 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't know how many of you were around for the introduction of the m1 but not all features were found on the introduction firmware. I've already had conformation on additional color profiles, other things are possible as well. Lets give them some time and you guys start enjoying this outstanding craft.

2018-9-8
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

simis Posted at 2018-9-8 05:27
That free distortion correction is ok for backyard filming Co. Still noticeable barrel distortion[view_image]

So you're saying you are a professional then? Then you should have no issues spending 30 sec to correct lens distortion when shooting in dlog-m or HLG
2018-9-8
Use props
0Kajuna0
lvl.4
Flight distance : 267126 ft
Spain

All -

Unfortunately lens correct in 10bit will not be possible .. Please understand they are using available bandwidth for the 10bit color depth.     I will also like add that dlog-m requires post no matter what or you will have a very flat image. this would be just another step to your post workflow. This is the entire point to this type of profile.

Thanks, you seem to know what you're talking about (as opposed to most moderators).

Would you say the quality of the lens correction in post-production is superior or inferior to the one made in camera?

I always assumed that in-camera lens correction was done be grabbing more pixels from the corners than from the centre (when that's possible: when using a sensor larger than 4k), as opposed to post-production corrections, where pixels are stretched towards the edges (and many are discarded).

If that is the case, flat profiles leave us with a lower actual pixel count than consumer ones (after the correction). But again, that's just my assumption.
2018-9-8
Use props
BIGDZ
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10255860 ft
  • >>>

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2018-9-8 06:32
I don't know how many of you were around for the introduction of the m1 but not all features were found on the introduction firmware. I've already had conformation on additional color profiles, other things are possible as well. Lets give them some time and you guys start enjoying this outstanding craft.

The adding of additional camera profiles in H264 would be awesome! Blade
2018-9-8
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2018-9-8 06:32
I don't know how many of you were around for the introduction of the m1 but not all features were found on the introduction firmware. I've already had conformation on additional color profiles, other things are possible as well. Lets give them some time and you guys start enjoying this outstanding craft.

I was around for the release of M1 and I can vouch that great improvements have continually made to both aircraft and camera, making it a great craft today. I hope this continues with M2.
2018-9-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-7 11:50
Nice! Yes that is a very good chip, and I love to see there's that much power under the hood!

Also saw the screenshot you posted from "blade strike" from DJI Enterprise, and if that's the case, that at least is a coherent, logical explanation of why this occurring on the M2P, but still not good, as the M2 line is targeted as a "consumer" drone, but tasks like this are more professional grade, and typically require higher-end post-production software to correct, so it's understandable that a LOT of people will be ticked at this!

Being link is now dead, no image.
You wouldn't happen to have a copy of image?  
Or know of another link to image?
Sounded (read) interesting.
Thanks!
2018-9-8
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

fans980d1304 Posted at 2018-9-7 11:39
Maybe the chip can do it but what about extra heat? We don't know anything about how this thing works. Clearly, DJI made an intentional decision and not just an oversight. The fix is simple and free, and you can make a 1 click preset that adds the distortion correction and a Dlog-M LUT simultaneously. No extra work.

Free distortion correction - http://geni.us/DistortionCorrection

Not saying corrections in production (after taking images) don't work.  Only that it is better when lens correction is not needed, or at least there is minimal distortion by lens.

Anyway, for link to ''Free'' distortion correction.
2018-9-8
Use props
Mikex
lvl.3
Ukraine

mates please, be patient.
first of all - really, if you're using DLog profile and understand how to color grade footage without LUT's then you will be able to fix lens distortion in post that will take 5-10 minutes to fix at the first time and then just save settings as preset and use this preset in future.

Don't forget that this drone is just released and not all fixes can be made from DJI side if something wrong for example in SoC side - then DJI need to wait when it will be fixed by SoC developers, and the same is equal for camera/sensors or smth else.

So, just be patient, everyone is interested in the success of using Mavic Pro and I think DJI tries to make everything to resolve issues and make us happy
2018-9-8
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft
France

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-7 11:52
How about you do everyone here a favour and stop hijacking yet ANOTHER thread and get out? That will be much better!
So far I've never spoken with him before this thread today, and thus far, his posts have been polite, informative, coherant, and on the up-and-up, so I'm judging the book by this cover for now... You're a totally different story however, and judgement has already been passed on you long ago...

Don't worry or get jalous. As it has been announced today, you'll be swiftly taken care of as well. It's about time actually.
2018-9-8
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2166962 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would be more interested in if and when DJI fixes the low resolution FullFOV pixel binning problem.
The Phantom 4 pro managed to do full pixel readout with an H2 SoC.
What about implementing this also in the M2P, maybe at least in 8bit!?
2018-9-8
Use props
simis
lvl.4
Latvia

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2018-9-8 06:35
So you're saying you are a professional then? Then you should have no issues spending 30 sec to correct lens distortion when shooting in dlog-m or HLG

I didn't said that, all I'm saying I didn't see anyone fixing that lens distortion in post so far, specialy with camera tilt movment  as distortion amount changing with camera angle. Professionals will use cameras with distortion fixed right in cameras.(depending on lens used)
2018-9-8
Use props
Jeff7577
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1916821 ft
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-8 12:22
Don't worry or get jalous. As it has been announced today, you'll be swiftly taken care of as well. It's about time actually.

Please come out from under hallmarks desk.
2018-9-8
Use props
fans980d1304
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

simis Posted at 2018-9-8 14:27
I didn't said that, all I'm saying I didn't see anyone fixing that lens distortion in post so far, specialy with camera tilt movment  as distortion amount changing with camera angle. Professionals will use cameras with distortion fixed right in cameras.(depending on lens used)

the distortion does no change with he tilt of the camera. The distortion can become more visible with the tilt, but it's a fixed problem due the lens, regardless of tilt.
2018-9-8
Use props
Rob W
lvl.4
Flight distance : 94390 ft
  • >>>
Sweden

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-9-8 08:17
If I may, I suggest a bit of patience.  The Mavic 2 was released 2 weeks ago & we are on firmware 01.00.0000.  I'm confident fixes & features are ahead.

I hope new firmware releases come, and come within a reasonable amount of time. I've been buying DJI products for a long, long time, building my drones with the first Nazas. So I know patience by now ;)

Right now I'm waiting for my Inspire 2 to get a proper firmware. Soon 2 months ago the Inspire 2 firmware was released, buggy, and without ProRes RAW for X5S already paying for the license. DJI recommends not to use this firmware at all, but to downgrade it. Yet it is on DJI's support page still.

I'm also waiting for the Crystalsky firmware that would come very soon after above release. It still don't have many functions the iOS or Android DJI Go app have, and it's now a year after initial release.

And I'm also waiting for a bugfix release of the A3 firmware, since the sticks can't be calibrated.

Makes me wonder when we ever are going to have quality releases from DJI? They are the best dronemaker, and I would enjoy their drones if they ever worked as announced and did not take step backwards.
2018-9-8
Use props
simis
lvl.4
Latvia

fans980d1304 Posted at 2018-9-8 18:08
the distortion does no change with he tilt of the camera. The distortion can become more visible with the tilt, but it's a fixed problem due the lens, regardless of tilt.

Sorry my bad, you are right. So far for FCPX best way to fix is withAlex4D Wide Angle Fix plugin, distortion amount you can  keyframe.
2018-9-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Jeff7577 Posted at 2018-9-8 14:35
Please come out from under hallmarks desk.

I noticed you are always extremely helpful on this forum. Always adding to the debate NOT.
2018-9-9
Use props
Mini-G
lvl.4
Flight distance : 663304 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I posted something similar and got the same response!

2018-9-9
Use props
JoeMavicDHH
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8230085 ft
  • >>>
Germany

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-9 01:47
I noticed you are always extremely helpful on this forum. Always adding to the debate NOT.

Sometimes I wonder, how people sharing the same exciting hobby, act like little, hostile children on a playground when it comes to different opinions. I think this forum shouldn't be the place to insult other users. To be honest, I'm also really disappointed with DJI's behaviour. I'm one of the 'victims' who suffered from not being able to use the Care Coupon after purchase and I hoped DJI could be so flexible to allow that, but they are not. OK, I know it's me not following the rules in the first place. Secondly I got a birthday coupon thru DJI Select. So far so good. But where is the sense in that if it's only valid for old stuff. I own a MP and a MPP with all the fly more stuff. I would have bought a M2Zoom - not possible. I think DJI should really think over their customer relation and not only focusing on selling stuff with flowery promises. Critical post should, no must be possible if DJI fails. At last it's us, supporting users, paying their salaries! And for that I'd recommend us staying united and not spending valuable flight time in offending each other
I didn't even mention my disappointment, regarding my CrystalSky "Brickware" I own. Even if they fix the compatibility firmeware-wise, I will be forced to buy another mount, because they couldn't help to change the mobile holders, making the "old" mount useless. At other companies, employees responsible for product developement and PR, would have lost their jobs or broomig the parking lots from now on. Not to get me wrong, I am very positive that DJI is building the finest drones on the market. The more I'm confused that they're loosing some credits in showing lack of after-sales-customer-interest.
2018-9-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

JoeMavicDHH Posted at 2018-9-9 05:17
Sometimes I wonder, how people sharing the same exciting hobby, act like little, hostile children on a playground when it comes to different opinions. I think this forum shouldn't be the place to insult other users. To be honest, I'm also really disappointed with DJI's behaviour. I'm one of the 'victims' who suffered from not being able to use the Care Coupon after purchase and I hoped DJI could be so flexible to allow that, but they are not. OK, I know it's me not following the rules in the first place. Secondly I got a birthday coupon thru DJI Select. So far so good. But where is the sense in that if it's only valid for old stuff. I own a MP and a MPP with all the fly more stuff. I would have bought a M2Zoom - not possible. I think DJI should really think over their customer relation and not only focusing on selling stuff with flowery promises. Critical post should, no must be possible if DJI fails. At last it's us, supporting users, paying their salaries! And for that I'd recommend us staying united and not spending valuable flight time in offending each other
I didn't even mention my disappointment, regarding my CrystalSky "Brickware" I own. Even if they fix the compatibility firmeware-wise, I will be forced to buy another mount, because they couldn't help to change the mobile holders, making the "old" mount useless. At other companies, employees responsible for product developement and PR, would have lost their jobs or broomig the parking lots from now on. Not to get me wrong, I am very positive that DJI is building the finest drones on the market. The more I'm confused that they're loosing some credits in showing lack of after-sales-customer-interest.

I concur with your coupon issue, I purchased M2P couldn’t get care refresh on the day, decided I would use my select coupon when drone arrived, 50% was the deal, but when I went to purchase my coupon was refused it needed to be used at time of purchase, I tried with customer support but met with a brick wall and that was that. It’s mind boggling...
2018-9-9
Use props
Rieder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1056 ft
Denmark

All -

So you neglect to tell this in your marketing videos. I would go as far as say this is false advertising, and I'm really, really considering cancelling my order. VERY dissapointed.
2018-9-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Rieder Posted at 2018-9-9 09:10
So you neglect to tell this in your marketing videos. I would go as far as say this is false advertising, and I'm really, really considering cancelling my order. VERY dissapointed.

I think the point has been made, if you are going to use this method of recording, then you will be aware that you will have to do some post work, and if you understood this then only real problem would be a set up of correction, no more than 10 minutes and there after no longer than 30 seconds in post.
I’m not sure if it’s worth cancelling for such a small effort to correct.
I wonder would users prefer to pay a much higher price for a processor to preform task in Camera .
2018-9-9
Use props
mozso
lvl.3
Flight distance : 11273 ft
Hungary

Maybe it’s just me, but it would be great to have C4K with true on-board downsampling by the SoC possibly from a 5-5.7K 1:1 sensor readout.

Or a 2.7K mode with a 4K 1:1 sensor readout and downsampling to 2.7K.

Maybe those modes without the 10bit magic would not stress the image processing SoC beyond its limits. The H3 Ambarella should be powerful enough for that. I think.
2018-9-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

mozso Posted at 2018-9-9 09:35
Maybe it’s just me, but it would be great to have C4K with true on-board downsampling by the SoC possibly from a 5-5.7K 1:1 sensor readout.

Or a 2.7K mode with a 4K 1:1 sensor readout and downsampling to 2.7K.

This might explain.
2018-9-9
Use props
mozso
lvl.3
Hungary

I know this video. But I’m not sure DJI fully utilizes the available pixel pipeline (sensor + SoC) when there is no 10bit need.

I would be super happy with a downscaled (no binning, no line skip) oversized 1:1 sensor readout to improve 4K and 2.7K videos.
2018-9-9
Use props
mozso
lvl.3
Hungary

Or worst case a 4K/2.7K 1:1 sensor readout downsample to 1080p @60FPS.
2018-9-9
Use props
simis
lvl.4
Latvia

mozso Posted at 2018-9-9 10:07

Anything without Fish-Eye effect will do
2018-9-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

mozso Posted at 2018-9-9 10:07

I’m sure if it’s possible, it might be an option, I’m sure if this “problem” is going to create a drop in sales then I would imagine dji will be working on it, I suppose we all have opinions but it just depends whether the system dji employs can be adapted to the changes that will improve for those not happy with it.
We may just have to continue the debate until we hear more from dji.
2018-9-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Believe that minor Lens fisheye correction is not an issue, or un-noticeable.  However, when major Lens fisheye correction is done, it becomes an issue, or noticeable.  
Lens fisheye is stretching outer edges of image, resulting in more of what will become unusable light image hitting image sensor when software is used to correct image.

There is also issue that round lens fisheye has to be corrected for oblong, as in 16:9.

More fisheye of lens, more correction is needed, less resolution in edges, degrading of picture quality.

2018-9-9
Use props
DJI-BladeStrike
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Rieder Posted at 2018-9-9 09:10

You do realize in these modes you have to color grade as well? These profiles require post work. Now if lens correction didn't happen in h.264 normal, that would be an issue.
2018-9-9
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-7 11:55
But even in your posting from DJI engineering, it would appear they deliberately didn't "bake in" the PL function into the M2, and don't seem too eager to put it in, despite all the sensors being available.

I typically manually land my drone, but this was a nice thing to have, and is VERY useful in many circumstances, so they better put it back fast!

To be honest not having Precision Landing on my original Mavic Pro drone, I would unfortunately land my drone harder. In what is considered Perfect Precision Landing attempt, I'm not saying there would be significant damage, or any? I'm just saying I'm not as good as the Mavic Pro in automatic landing.

The Mavic 2 Pro is an expensive drone, obviously it's not made any better than a Mavic Pro that others wouldn't want to subject their drone to unnecessary stress on its arms or legs? If you take this argument into account, you couldn't fail to realize in a perfect Precision Landing scenario, you would rather your Mavic 2 Pro come equipped with Precision Landing than come without it. .
I commend DJI for their contribution to the Precision Landing found on the original Mavic Pro (it works amazing), I only question their underlying reason not to include it out of the box in the Mavic 2 Pro?

2018-9-9
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

davidmartingraf Posted at 2018-9-9 13:42
To be honest not having Precision Landing on my original Mavic Pro drone, I would unfortunately land my drone harder. In what is considered Perfect Precision Landing attempt, I'm not saying there would be significant damage, or any? I'm just saying I'm not as good as the Mavic Pro in automatic landing.

The Mavic 2 Pro is an expensive drone, obviously it's not made any better than a Mavic Pro that others wouldn't want to subject their drone to unnecessary stress on its arms or legs? If you take this argument into account, you couldn't fail to realize in a perfect Precision Landing scenario, you would rather your Mavic 2 Pro come equipped with Precision Landing than come without it. .

I think this is actually the best time to bring these concerns to DJI-BladeStrike, the super admin here, with these concerns. His responses to me in another thread about the M2P lens distortion thread have been informative and beneficial.

To be fair, I have Precision Landing on my Mavic Air, and unfortunately, if I got it to work half the time I would count myself fortunate. But when it did work, was a pleasure to watch in action.

Given the M2 has all the sensors needed, and hopefully CPU power, to enable Precision Landing, DJI won’t take too long to re-introduce such a useful function.
2018-9-9
Use props
davidmartingraf
Second Officer
Flight distance : 106566408 ft
  • >>>

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-9 14:31
I think this is actually the best time to bring these concerns to DJI-BladeStrike, the super admin here, with these concerns. His responses to me in another thread about the M2P lens distortion thread have been informative and beneficial.

To be fair, I have Precision Landing on my Mavic Air, and unfortunately, if I got it to work half the time I would count myself fortunate. But when it did work, was a pleasure to watch in action.

I take into account how good my Mavic Pro flies and then you add in those sensors on the Mavic 2 Pro and you would just imagine how much better the M2 should be?
2018-9-9
Use props
simis
lvl.4
Latvia

Dear DJI, so far you are not helping with posts like "u fix it in post, it's 10 seconds job." Please give as some tools to work with. Normal companies like Canon and so on have a lens distortion profiles in camera. So u can can correct lens distortion depending on lenses u are using. What I'm asking are you going to provide lens correction profile for major video editing soft like Premiere, Resolve, FCPX. I hope You understand that correcting hasselblad lense distortion with GoPro profile is idiotic.
2018-9-9
Use props
simis
lvl.4
Latvia

DJI-BladeStrike Posted at 2018-9-9 12:53
You do realize in these modes you have to color grade as well? These profiles require post work. Now if lens correction didn't happen in h.264 normal, that would be an issue.

You do realise that color grading dealing ONLY with color? And to FIX lens distortion You need specific lens correcting profile?
2018-9-10
Use props
fansfa4ab7ff
lvl.2
Flight distance : 785689 ft
United States

@Dji-bladestrike, you do realize that we would prefer a lens correction profile right? That would erase our concern on this topic. Also pls fix the line skipping/binning problem.
2018-9-10
Use props
RobWest
lvl.3
Flight distance : 589633 ft
France

fansfa4ab7ff Posted at 2018-9-10 10:44
@Dji-bladestrike, you do realize that we would prefer a lens correction profile right? That would erase our concern on this topic. Also pls fix the line skipping/binning problem.

Totally agree with you. As it's only film modes that require post-processing that suffer from the fish-eye effect, a profile provided by DJI for common editors would keep most people happy.

Checkout the video and I think you'll find the reason why line skipping/pixel binning will always be an issue, there simply isn't enough grunt in the SOC to do sampling onboard.
2018-9-10
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules