Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Disturbing sight
1747 22 2018-9-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
NomadRT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1669012 ft
United States

So after arriving home yesterday I was walking to my door to go inside.    I hear an airplane pretty close by.    I look up and a private airplane dips down and flies LOW over the lake out in front of my house.    Based on my experience flying drones I could tell it was well under 500ft.    Now, I'm within 5 miles of an airport.    This airport closes at 5pm and also on Sundays so I do all of my flying when it's closed.    (I called them and they told me when they are closed and that I didn't have to call during those times).     Granted, this was definitely before 5pm so the airport was still open (though it was not on an approach).     

Anyway.... it was surprising seeing an airplane flying that low.    I know of a sea plane that takes off and lands on the lake from time to time, but this wasn't a sea plane.   

So yeah.... that unnerved me for sure.    When I fly now I go out and listen intently for a long time to hear if I can hear any hints of an airplane in the area.

2018-9-7
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Crazy pilots like that are going to ruin it for the rest of us pilots and they will ban all private airplanes and I won't be able to fly my Cessna anymore.

Satire
2018-9-7
Use props
Nspire Aviation
lvl.1
Flight distance : 563182 ft

You can fly an airplane lower than 500ft in sparsely populated areas or over water, its not illegal

FAA FAR 119.19 Minimum safe altitudes; general

(c)  Over other than congested areas –   An altitude of 500 feet above the surface except over open water or sparsely populated areas.  In that case, the aircraft may not be operated
closer than 500 feet to any person, vessel, vehicle, or structure.  
2018-9-7
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

Nspire Aviation Posted at 2018-9-7 06:24
You can fly an airplane lower than 500ft in sparsely populated areas or over water, its not illegal

FAA FAR 119.19 Minimum safe altitudes; general

Oh yeah... I wasn't suggesting it was illegal.   It was just a bit of an unnerving sight given that I fly my drone over that lake during times when the airport is closed.
2018-9-7
Use props
Nspire Aviation
lvl.1
Flight distance : 563182 ft

NomadRT Posted at 2018-9-7 06:31
Oh yeah... I wasn't suggesting it was illegal.   It was just a bit of an unnerving sight given that I fly my drone over that lake during times when the airport is closed.

Oh my apologies, it seemed as if you were really surprised to see an aircraft that low and were questioning the pilots actions. How big is the lake?
2018-9-7
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

Nspire Aviation Posted at 2018-9-7 06:34
Oh my apologies, it seemed as if you were really surprised to see an aircraft that low and were questioning the pilots actions. How big is the lake?

It's a big one.   Dammed on both ends and goes for miles.  

I think I should probably lower my altitude to ensure there are no surprises.   I've lived here 5 years and that's the first time I've seen that.   I've seen the sea plane before but it's so loud you can hear it coming for a LONG time.
2018-9-7
Use props
Mir
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2718491 ft
  • >>>
United States

Unfortunately if there was ever an incident, it's automatically the drone operator at fault, regardless of situation.
2018-9-7
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

Mir Posted at 2018-9-7 08:28
Unfortunately if there was ever an incident, it's automatically the drone operator at fault, regardless of situation.

Here is something to think about:   Soon there will be quad copter air taxis (driverless).   When that hits big it will be hard to find a place to fly without putting people in danger.

2018-9-7
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mir Posted at 2018-9-7 08:28

ya, pretty much.  sad reality even if the manned aircraft was flying in an extremely dangerous manner, the drone pilot would be at fault if their drone collided.  any other issues related to dangerous flying would be seperate case entirely :/  

that being said i have seen planes and helicopter flying what i would call dangerously low over the river that about half hour drive from here, when i say dangerously low i mean like 100 feet off the surface. and even do this in foggy conditions and freezing fog of winter sometimes!.  not that wide of a river in some spots can get as narrow as few hundred feet with random islands where hunters and campers sometimes go.   plus the river very active all summer and fall with boaters, rowers, kayakers, and fishermen/women.  

like i get maybe its a thrill to fly like that but i think they need a floor that's higher than whatever they think is safe because not every knows what that implies.   they need to make it like 300 foot floor (AGL), unless emergency or something demands you a reduced altitude for some reason.  because birds, drones, etc etc going to be between 100-200 feet more readily..  infact i tend to fly 250 - 275 feet AGL if im going further out, just so i can clear any trees if signal goes to hell and my controls are spotty im less likely to clip into things or hit anything.  but with planes sometimes flying stupidly low over the river, can't realistically do that anymore.
2018-9-7
Use props
Koelkop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22814806 ft
South Africa

The other day a Cessna type airplane flew over our place at no more than 60 meters, he was dipping below the trees at some points.
2018-9-7
Use props
Streetmagus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1398376 ft

It doesn't matter where we are, a manned aircraft will always have the right of way. They do not owe us a reason they're flying, at anytime. It doesn't matter if they're not suppose to be there or not, whether the airport is closed or not, it is none of our business. They have the right of way. For all we know, it could be an emergency situation, etc.
2018-9-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. Please make sure to check the surroundings before flying your drone and make sure to fly it when the airport closed. Should you have further question, please let us know. Happy flying.
2018-9-7
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

Streetmagus Posted at 2018-9-7 12:47
It doesn't matter where we are, a manned aircraft will always have the right of way. They do not owe us a reason they're flying, at anytime. It doesn't matter if they're not suppose to be there or not, whether the airport is closed or not, it is none of our business. They have the right of way. For all we know, it could be an emergency situation, etc.

It isn't as simple as what you described and they aren't allowed to ignore regulations just because they're flying a manned aircraft.
2018-9-7
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

Gimpy Posted at 2018-9-7 13:38
It isn't as simple as what you described and they aren't allowed to ignore regulations just because they're flying a manned aircraft.

All I know is that I am following guidelines by not flying (without permission) while the airport is open.  I'm also keeping my drone in sight.   That's about all I can do.   The chances are astronomical, but there is a remote possibility that an airplane could zip up on me before I could get my drone out of the way.   The only thing I can do is keep situational awareness.
2018-9-7
Use props
Streetmagus
lvl.3

Gimpy Posted at 2018-9-7 13:38

In an emergency, they can. How do you know they don’t get prior authorization from ATC?
Respect the pilots. They have thousands of hours under their belt in flying and training. Drone pilots? All you need is to walk into BestBuy with $1500.
2018-9-7
Use props
Gimpy
lvl.4
United States

Streetmagus Posted at 2018-9-7 17:55
In an emergency, they can. How do you know they don’t get prior authorization from ATC?
Respect the pilots. They have thousands of hours under their belt in flying and training. Drone pilots? All you need is to walk into BestBuy with $1500.

The vast majority of manned aircraft pilots don't have "thousands" of hours of flying under their belt, and there's no connection between how many hours one has flown and whether or not the regulations apply. They have to following the rules just like everyone else regardless of how much the aircraft costs. I know, because I used to fly "real" (manned) aircraft myself, though I'm guessing you don't and haven't.

In any case, your argument seems to be based on the assumption that the pilot involved encountered an "emergency" or received permission to ignore regulations, so you're the one who's speculating with no evidence to support it.
2018-9-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

NomadRT Posted at 2018-9-7 06:38
It's a big one.   Dammed on both ends and goes for miles.  

I think I should probably lower my altitude to ensure there are no surprises.   I've lived here 5 years and that's the first time I've seen that.   I've seen the sea plane before but it's so loud you can hear it coming for a LONG time.

Fly a big helium balloon with flashing strobe.
Printed on side: air Space Reserved for drones!
2018-9-7
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Koelkop Posted at 2018-9-7 12:38
The other day a Cessna type airplane flew over our place at no more than 60 meters, he was dipping below the trees at some points.

If you got a large piece of private property; get Tail numbers and report it.
2018-9-7
Use props
Streetmagus
lvl.3

Gimpy Posted at 2018-9-7 18:02
The vast majority of manned aircraft pilots don't have "thousands" of hours of flying under their belt, and there's no connection between how many hours one has flown and whether or not the regulations apply. They have to following the rules just like everyone else regardless of how much the aircraft costs. I know, because I used to fly "real" (manned) aircraft myself, though I'm guessing you don't and haven't.

In any case, your argument seems to be based on the assumption that the pilot involved encountered an "emergency" or received permission to ignore regulations, so you're the one who's speculating with no evidence to support it.

No matter how you want to justify it, it ain’t going to happen.
Manned aircraft has the right of way. Unless you are the with FAA, you have no business to speculate whether or not they’re disobeying regulations.
It’s not that hard if a concept to understand.
2018-9-8
Use props
vdh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 193786 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I had only just landed when this came around the headland.Thank goodness I wasn't in the air still
2018-9-8
Use props
vdh
lvl.3
Flight distance : 193786 ft
  • >>>
Australia

oh & my nearest airport is about 50 miles away
2018-9-8
Use props
Weapon Analyst
lvl.2
Flight distance : 530614 ft
United States

I see police helicopters flying under 400ft AGL in Houston.  AKA the GHETTO BIRD.  
2018-9-8
Use props
NomadRT
lvl.4
United States

vdh Posted at 2018-9-8 15:53
[view_image]
I had only just landed when this came around the headland.Thank goodness I wasn't in the air still

That airplane is higher than you think.  It looks low because it's so big.
2018-9-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules