Tip on Phone Performance (aka lag)
5954 8 2018-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveHudsonATL
lvl.1
Flight distance : 5735 ft
United States

I wanted to make a post to hopefully help others out that see this "problem" which isn't really a DJI problem.  I've seen some posts here and on other threads about "lag" with the M2.   The short answer is that I don't believe is any issue with the Drones or the DJI App.  The problem is with the phones overheating.  iPhone in particular will "slow down the CPU to control temperature" - that is what's causing lag.   For more details, see below.
Let me first walk you through my scenario and it will hopefully shed some light on this.  I was at my parent's farm in North Florida and wanted to do some drone footage and pictures of the entire farm.  I decided this was a great place to use the Mavic 2 Zoom.

Flight 1-3:  
Time:  6:00am to 8:00am
Outside (ambient) Temperature:  65-75 degrees F
Flight Time:  Approx 22 mins each
Max Range:  Approx 1600 feet
Display/Control Device:  iPhone X
Actions performed:  1080p flight/video recording
Problems encountered:  None - flawless flights!

I got up nice and early (5:30am) as I wanted to get some footage of the sunrise and the fog that usually lingers in the morning.   The temperature was cool (68 degrees F) I did 3 flights, all about 22 minutes each.    Long story short, all 3 flights were flawless - perfect image transmission, excellent response, no lag, etc.  Was an absolute blast!

Flight 4-6 (2 days later actually)  
Time:  Noon to 2:00pm
Outside (ambient) Temperature:  90-95 degrees F
Flight Time:  Approx 22 mins each
Max Range:  Approx 1800 feet
Display/Control Device:  iPhone X
Actions performed:  1080p flight/video recording, some quick shots
Problems encountered:  First flight - extreme lag, unresponsiveness of aircraft (perception, not reality).  Second and third flight, flawless, no problems, no lag.

So on my second round of flights, i was on a time constraint, so my only chance was to get out from Noon to 2pm to do my "full daylight" footage.  I started everything up and right off the bat, the video signal was lagging, the aircraft seemed unresponsive at a distance, the experience was terrible - i only flew out to a range of about 800 feet.  I brought the aircraft back and landed.  I was going to reset everything including closing all the apps on my phone.  When I pulled the iPhone out of the controller, i swipped up to close apps and noticed the phone was lagging.  I then closed the DJI 4 app and started using some other apps - same experience.... screen refresh was slow, it was slow switching between apps, etc.  I then took the case off my phone and touched the back of it - it was extremely HOT!  I realized i had found my problem.  I set my phone in the shade (on some cool concrete actually) and waited for it to cool down for about 20 mins.   

The phone seemed to be much cooler and responsive again, so i hooked back up and launched the aircraft again (same battery, still had about 90%).  This time, however, i did 2 things differently:

1)  I took the case off of my phone so it wouldn't trap heat
2)  I stood in the shade to keep the hot sun off the phone

The flight was flawless with no lag, no issues, etc.  I flew out to about 1800 feet away.  I then flew the other two batteries and did additional footage as well as some quickshots.   No issues at all.  When the aircraft was far away from me, it "appeared to me to lag in responsiveness" because all i could see was a tiny dot... it was responding, it was just taking the iPhone a long time to catch up and show me what was going on.

So the finding is that your phone is likely the weakest link in your aircraft control chain.  I will fly with my case off from now on and work to keep the phone as cool as I can.

Hope this helps others who may see this problem.

Dave
2018-9-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there. Thanks for sharing this information with us. I really suggest using a shed on the phone when flying their drone in the heated area because this will overheat the phone and may lead to a problem since the app will lag and you may not able to monitor your aircraft. Please fly with caution to avoid any issue. Thanks.
2018-9-8
Use props
Apranet
lvl.2
Flight distance : 27136 ft

Hello

I have the same problem with my Mavic2. Always see a message saying "CPU fully loaded" as a result a lag. Sometimes the screen freeze.
It is a big problem, because i can not enjoy having my Mavic2 far away from me.
I own a iPhone 6 Plus and i don't know if i have to upgrade my mobile or is an other issue causing that.

Kind Regards
2018-9-9
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

maybe mavic 2 series changed how dji go 4 app is working when flying those drones.. but my iPhone X flying mavic pro 1 does not lag or anything..  occasionally i get a frame skip/drop...

in terms of heat causing issues. external heat like the sun baking my iPhone... hasn't caused me lag yet, but background apps running and misbehaving definitely have, facebook/messenger and few other social media apps sometimes cause horrendous lag for me to the point i had to uninstall them.  

if lag causing you issues from background apps but dont wanna uninstall or cant figure out what.  use airplane mode + low power mode.  airplane mode helps reduce interference but also it helps with misbehaving apps, alot of times if they cannot connect to services they chill out and wait till they can again..  puting iOS into low power mode also helps by limiting how much background stuff and can will run and even disables refresh/fetch in background.  but downside of low power mode is it limits the SoC so around 20% of peak performance will be lost while its enabled..
2018-9-9
Use props
Drone-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>

I know. I'm going to get my iPad and put it in the freezer 1 hour before I fly. Problem solved
2018-9-30
Use props
CommoditAg
New

India

Hi there. Thanks for sharing this information with us.
2019-3-12
Use props
Aristoman
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1929236 ft
Japan

The same happened to me but suddenly. It used to work flawlessly till yesterday. Was not particularly hot day. When I monitored my flight lagging occurred. The moment I started to record video lagging stopped. I cleaned up my phone and reinstalled app. The same problem. This happened 28 may 2021. There was no big update right for ma2? Mystery... Not happy about it.
2021-5-28
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

Thanks for sharing
2021-5-29
Use props
djiuser_cI9ElBT6Q2ss
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3750377 ft
Malaysia

hi there, i have the same problem too. i have a mini2 and air2s.
i’m using the iphone 12max pro.
i find that the screen dims more frequently when flying the air2s.
i’m not sure if i have the solved the problem coz i have sent my air2s in for servicing because of range and weak rc issues.
so i’m stuck with flying my mini2 for the time being.

i found this link, and so far i have not had any screen getting too hot or dimming issues while flying the mini 2.

i’ll try on the air2s when they return it to me…

here’s the link, hope it helps

https://www.howtogeek.com/727412/why-your-iphone-display-keeps-dimming-and-how-to-stop-it/
2021-8-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules