Image Quality
1034 16 2018-9-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TuxMan
lvl.1
Flight distance : 189728 ft
United States

For some reason the quality in my most recent videos with my P4A is not that great.  I shot them in .mp4 format.  Is that why?  My  videos shot in .mp4 4K are unbeleivable!  How can I tell what resolution are my .mp4 videos?  I can see file size but can't tell what resolution.  Wondering if I changed the resolution by mistake.
2018-9-8
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

If you have an Apple device, then it is not so easy, but if you have a Windows computer, simply right click on the file and select 'Properties', then select the tab 'Details'. It will show you the frame size. Using MP4 will not affect the quality of the video clips at all. Your perception of quality might be a result of what you are using to view the clips.
2018-9-8
Use props
Ray_Drone_Pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 531640 ft
Singapore

You can also check you recording properties prior to record so you know in advance what resolution youre going to record
2018-9-8
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you had. Would it be possible to provide to us a sample video of the issue you had? We're here to help you. Thank you.
2018-9-9
Use props
TuxMan
lvl.1
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-9-8 16:57
If you have an Apple device, then it is not so easy, but if you have a Windows computer, simply right click on the file and select 'Properties', then select the tab 'Details'. It will show you the frame size. Using MP4 will not affect the quality of the video clips at all. Your perception of quality might be a result of what you are using to view the clips.

Thank you.  The frame size is 4096 X  2160.  What does that mean?
2018-9-9
Use props
TuxMan
lvl.1
United States

DJI Gamora Posted at 2018-9-9 05:06
Hi, thanks for reaching DJI Forum. We do apologize for the troubles you had. Would it be possible to provide to us a sample video of the issue you had? We're here to help you. Thank you.

Shall I PM you the video Gamora?
2018-9-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

TuxMan Posted at 2018-9-9 16:11
Thank you.  The frame size is 4096 X  2160.  What does that mean?

That means it is 4K. As in 4096 pixels wide, or four thousand odd, from which the name 4K is derived.
2018-9-9
Use props
TuxMan
lvl.1
United States

well then the videos shot in 4K in mp4 mode are terrible compared to those shot in .mov no matter what I am watching them on (Windows Surface and IMac).  Is is possible there is something wrong with the camera all of a sudden?

@DJI Gamora I would like to send you the videos to see if there is something wrong.  Waiting your reply.
2018-9-9
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

TuxMan Posted at 2018-9-9 16:34
well then the videos shot in 4K in mp4 mode are terrible compared to those shot in .mov no matter what I am watching them on (Windows Surface and IMac).  Is is possible there is something wrong with the camera all of a sudden?

@DJI Gamora I would like to send you the videos to see if there is something wrong.  Waiting your reply.

You won't get much help sending videos to the DJI robots. There is no difference in the quality of the files, they are exactly the same in MP4 or MOV format. All the MP4 and MOV parts are simply 'containers', just like putting the video files in a glass jar versus putting them in a tin can, the container makes no sdifference to the quality.

You problem is probably due to what you are viewing the files on. If you are watching on two different computers then you cannot make any judgement about the quality, one of your devices may be making a complete hash out of playing back the files. You can on;ly judge by looking at both on the same device.

If you want an expert view from the members here, post a short piece of 4K material to Dropbox, and come back here and post a link to it. Do not post any editied material, it must be original.
2018-9-9
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

TuxMan Posted at 2018-9-9 16:12
Shall I PM you the video Gamora?

Hi, sorry for the late response. You can post your video here. Thank you.
2018-9-10
Use props
TuxMan
lvl.1
United States

Ok, I appreciate everyones help becuase I am frustrated with this.

This link was shot in 4K in the .mov format
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1lv5cqqj02pxpis/DJI_0087.MOV?dl=0

This link was shot what I thought was 4K but in .mp4 format.  Quality stinks!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jsd4z40okv5aka0/DJI_0103.MP4?dl=0

2018-9-11
Use props
GeoffT
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Your mov file is 1080p so 1/4 the size of the mp4
2018-9-11
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

TuxMan Posted at 2018-9-11 10:42
Ok, I appreciate everyones help becuase I am frustrated with this.

This link was shot in 4K in the .mov format

Your MP4 clip is blurry and recorded in 4k while the MOV clip is sharp and recorded in 1080p (FHD).

If you make the same clip with the same settings of the camera, you also get the same result on the SD card, regardless of whether it is the MOV or MP4 format to be written in.  In other words, the conditions should be the same to compare both formats.

Regards Leif.
2018-9-11
Use props
TuxMan
lvl.1
United States

Landbo Posted at 2018-9-11 14:57
Your MP4 clip is blurry and recorded in 4k while the MOV clip is sharp and recorded in 1080p (FHD).

If you make the same clip with the same settings of the camera, you also get the same result on the SD card, regardless of whether it is the MOV or MP4 format to be written in.  In other words, the conditions should be the same to compare both formats.

Hold on here.  The original .mov clip looks so much better on my Surface than it does in this link.  I can make out the detail in the water and the leaves on the trees.  Did Dropbox downgrade the quality to get it uploaded?

The .mp4 clip does not have that clarity.

So Leif, are you saying they were not shot the same, or, there is an issue with my camera?  
2018-9-11
Use props
TuxMan
lvl.1
United States

GeoffT Posted at 2018-9-11 11:11
Your mov file is 1080p so 1/4 the size of the mp4

I think Dropbox downgraded the quality of the link because the .mov clip is crystal clear down to the detail of the grass.  The .mp4 does not have that detail.
2018-9-11
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

TuxMan Posted at 2018-9-11 16:57
I think Dropbox downgraded the quality of the link because the .mov clip is crystal clear down to the detail of the grass.  The .mp4 does not have that detail.

No, they do not do that. That is the very reason people use Dropbox, because they do not alter the files in any way.
2018-9-11
Use props
Landbo
Second Officer
Flight distance : 502792 ft
Denmark

TuxMan Posted at 2018-9-11 16:55
Hold on here.  The original .mov clip looks so much better on my Surface than it does in this link.  I can make out the detail in the water and the leaves on the trees.  Did Dropbox downgrade the quality to get it uploaded?

The .mp4 clip does not have that clarity.

I'm trying to tell you you should make two new clips with the same setting on the camera and with the same lighting. In short, it means you have to make the clips right after each other, one in the MP4 format and one in the MOV format. Doing that in the descriptive manner will also help you to see that the clips look exactely the same if you play them on the same player.

And your clip in MP4 is written with 100 Mbps (4k) while the clip in MOV format is written with 60 Mbps (FHD).

That's the simple truth that can be said about the two clips. If you want to know more, I can not help you if you do not want to make two new ones.

And no, Dropbox does not impair the quality of the clips when I download direct to my computer.   ;-)

Regards Leif.
2018-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules