1408 22 2018-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Normall guys compare Different  drones for battery test, I decided to compare 2 MP1, One was  flown quite a few times maybe around a 100 times and ther other Mavic Pro never flown before

So I was bored today because of the heavy winds and bad weather I decided to put both my  Mavic Pro's in the air at the same time, same height, both flown with Ios and both recording to test how long they last just hovering. The newer Mavic that I got a few days ago lasted 23.28 minutes while the older mavic lasted 21.34 minutes. both had brand new batteries in them charged once and never flown. So it seems that the older the Mavic gets it uses more battery power as well. I also noticed that the picture on both were different on the screens ( will verify with video from sd later), the newer Mavic the colours looked better then the older, both were set to vivid, and all other settings exactly the same, looks like this newer one also was a bit more stable in the winds as compared to the older.

2018-9-9
Use props
Woe
Captain
Flight distance : 4129268 ft
  • >>>
United States

Less than 2 mins different flight time. Just about the time I'm getting on my battery that
came with my MP. Good test Suren
2018-9-9
Use props
Bob Brown
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4209662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Safe to say that no 2 Mavic Pro's are created equal or is it an age/wisdom thing? lol
2018-9-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

That is a nice comparison then, just to give you an idea the flight time may depend on the environment of the location. Especially the wind and how you use the Aircraft. however, thank you for sharing. Cheers!
2018-9-9
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Woe Posted at 2018-9-9 06:34
Less than 2 mins different flight time. Just about the time I'm getting on my battery that
came with my MP. Good test Suren

Thanks Woe, when one gets bored we think of things to do with out Toys
2018-9-9
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Bob Brown Posted at 2018-9-9 07:19
Safe to say that no 2 Mavic Pro's are created equal or is it an age/wisdom thing? lol

I think the latter
2018-9-9
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-9-9 07:31
That is a nice comparison then, just to give you an idea the flight time may depend on the environment of the location. Especially the wind and how you use the Aircraft. however, thank you for sharing. Cheers!

2018-9-9
Use props
Koelkop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22814806 ft
South Africa

The 3 batteries on my Mpp now has around 150 cycles on them and I get around 21 minutes before I land at  20% more or less. That is without too much wind flying at around 43km/h.

I want to do a test sometime to see how long it will hover in place. When it was still new it hovered in light wind for 25 minutes down to 11%
2018-9-9
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Koelkop Posted at 2018-9-9 08:27
The 3 batteries on my Mpp now has around 150 cycles on them and I get around 21 minutes before I land at  20% more or less. That is without too much wind flying at around 43km/h.

I want to do a test sometime to see how long it will hover in place. When it was still new it hovered in light wind for 25 minutes down to 11%

The winds were quite heavy here today, a still day will have given better results
2018-9-9
Use props
Flybee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

g8 test thanks for sharing the results Suren.
2018-9-9
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158734 ft
Germany

Koelkop Posted at 2018-9-9 08:27
The 3 batteries on my Mpp now has around 150 cycles on them and I get around 21 minutes before I land at  20% more or less. That is without too much wind flying at around 43km/h.

That's quite good performance actually - I thought they would degrade faster than that...
2018-9-9
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158734 ft
Germany

Interesting...

Do you think there is a chance that the prop motors have slightly degraded and are now performing worse? I mean things like bearings do age ...
2018-9-9
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Flybee Posted at 2018-9-9 09:44
g8 test thanks for sharing the results Suren.

Thanks Fly               
2018-9-10
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

FntX Posted at 2018-9-9 22:57
Interesting...

Do you think there is a chance that the prop motors have slightly degraded and are now performing worse? I mean things like bearings do age ...

That could be a possibility
2018-9-10
Use props
Koelkop
lvl.4
Flight distance : 22814806 ft
South Africa

I tested the hover time today with the one battery which has 157 cycles on it, 23 minutes 14 seconds down to 11%. Lost just shy of 2 minutes.

Something interesting, I flew one battery out doing a 10km round trip before the hover test and it hit a temperature of 41'c. While hovering it went to 50'c.
2018-9-10
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Koelkop Posted at 2018-9-10 08:46
I tested the hover time today with the one battery which has 157 cycles on it, 23 minutes 14 seconds down to 11%. Lost just shy of 2 minutes.

Something interesting, I flew one battery out doing a 10km round trip before the hover test and it hit a temperature of 41'c. While hovering it went to 50'c.

For 150 recharges on the battery I would say that is good time, System gets more hot when hovering, when flying the air cools the system
2018-9-10
Use props
Jimmy hoffa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1824291 ft
  • >>>

The motors wont go bad...they are brushless unlike brushed which do go bad. They also have sealed bearings and will out last life of drone itself...its the batterys that need changing after performance issues/degrading or swollen packs from either over charging or discharging too much...
2018-9-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

The newer Mavic that I got a few days ago lasted 23.28 minutes while the older mavic lasted 21.34 minutes. both had brand new batteries in them charged once and never flown.

So it seems that the older the Mavic gets it uses more battery power as well.

You would need to repeat test several times, swapping batteries between drones every time - before you could really say an older Mavic uses more battery power.
Naturally both drones would need to running identical Firmware, same for Remotes, and comnected to identical SmartDevices.

2018-9-10
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

Jimmy hoffa Posted at 2018-9-10 20:20
The motors wont go bad...they are brushless unlike brushed which do go bad. They also have sealed bearings and will out last life of drone itself...its the batterys that need changing after performance issues/degrading or swollen packs from either over charging or discharging too much...

Noted, but a note to take is that both drones had brand new batteries put into them to conduct this test.
2018-9-11
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-10 20:33
The newer Mavic that I got a few days ago lasted 23.28 minutes while the older mavic lasted 21.34 minutes. both had brand new batteries in them charged once and never flown.

So it seems that the older the Mavic gets it uses more battery power as well.

Everything in regards to the test was identical from the new batteries never flown before, identical cellphones, new props, same firmware 0100 for Ac and RC
2018-9-11
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

To be scientific, they both need to be launched at the same time and hover near each other but far enough apart to not interfere with air patterns.  The batteries also need to be swapped and run again.  Rinse, repeat, etc.  Keep them out of ground effect also.  I'd guess 25 feet or so above the ground.
2018-9-16
Use props
Suren
Captain
  • >>>
South Africa

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2018-9-16 14:28
To be scientific, they both need to be launched at the same time and hover near each other but far enough apart to not interfere with air patterns.  The batteries also need to be swapped and run again.  Rinse, repeat, etc.  Keep them out of ground effect also.  I'd guess 25 feet or so above the ground.

Did launch both at the same time and both were around 5 meters in the air facing each other 4 meters apart, did not do the swap though
2018-9-16
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Suren Posted at 2018-9-16 19:36
Did launch both at the same time and both were around 5 meters in the air facing each other 4 meters apart, did not do the swap though

The reason for the swap would be to eliminate a difference in current draw between the two.  Could be due to age, freeness of motors, different winding methods in the motors, any number of things.  It would just solidify your findings a bit better.
2018-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules