Mavic 2 Pro - Choppy Video File??
18425 22 2018-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JoHarley
lvl.1
Flight distance : 56601 ft
  • >>>

Ok, so I broke down and got me the Mavic 2 Pro; chose the Pro over the Zoom because of the camera. I am surprised that DJI didn't include a micro SD card with the drone. Oh well, I just used my extra 32 gb micro SD card from my Phantom 3 Pro; "Sandisk Ultra 32 GB HC-1". I've flown the Mavic 2 Pro now three times. On the first flight the video was recorded to the Mavic's internal memory while the last two flights were recorded onto the micro SD card. On both SD card flights I'm seeing the videos downloaded coming out choppy/jittery (viewed on multiple computers). To be clear here, I did NOT see any choppiness/jitteryness from the images sent to my iPhone, just from the files off the micro SD card itself. I did NOT see this choppiness/jitteryness from the video files downloaded directly from the Mavic 2 Pro's internal memory. I'll try some further testing...

I've posted a short clip of the choppy video on YouTube:  

I've order the DJI recommend micro SD card, "Sandisk Extreme V30 Pro 64G". Hopefully this is my issue.

So, am I on the right track with the card? Or could it be a setting in the DJI Go 4 app? Or could it be that my Mavic 2 Pro has a problem?

Has anyone else seen this??
Jerry
2018-9-9
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Yep, SD card is not up to the task. I’ve been using that V30 card for 2 years to handle Phantom 4 Pro bitrates. There are now better ones, but DJI is just going off what users have detailed.
On a side note, also try +1 on the sharpness.
2018-9-9
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

It is the SD card, the write speed of the card is to slow.
2018-9-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out. May I ask if that video file is coming from the Sd card originally to make sure as well it's not a cached video. And for the Recommended and Tested SD card, you can check this Image.
2018-9-9
Use props
JoHarley
lvl.1
  • >>>

Hi All,

Thank you ALL so much for the responses. You all confirmed my belief, the SD card is TOO DAMN SLOW...  This really had me worried; after spending some $1,877 for the Mavic and things. I did a test this morning. Took a two minute flight along the CA coast using only the internal memory and the same flight using the SD card. The internal memory video file looks very steady. The SD video file is choppy & jerky.
The Mavic flies extremely nice and smooth, hovers wonderfully and has lots of nice convenient features. Lots to learn! Lots to try! Lots of fun ahead!!

Again, thank you all for the support and feedback. Best to you all - - Jerry
2018-9-9
Use props
sinloi
lvl.3

Well, your experience - and the sharing of it - saved my bacon. Ultimately, my situation was a little more complicated in that the camera was shooting at 4k and we currently have no devices capable of better than 1080p. Once I figured that out and changed the parameters, the jerky video went bye bye. But you set me on the right track. Thanks!
2018-9-19
Use props
Bueller427
New
United States

Im having the SAME issue
... Im using Sandisk Extreme plus 128 gb V30 u3 A2 card... could it be my card ??? figured cause its a V30 it would be good

please help
2019-1-2
Use props
Bueller427
New
United States

card i am using... should be good enough ..no ????

2019-1-2
Use props
Bueller427
New
United States

when i play the video back on my mini iPad when attached to the controller... fine no choppiness ... when i attach /download from MP2 on to my iMac ( opens with quicktime) choppy lag playback....very frustrated
please help
2019-1-2
Use props
Bueller427
New
United States

when i play the video back on my mini iPad when attached to the controller... fine no choppiness ... when i attach /download from MP2 on to my iMac ( opens with quicktime) choppy lag playback....very frustrated
please help
2019-1-2
Use props
JoHarley
lvl.1
  • >>>
United States

I'm no expert with this but my problem was an easy fix. I was flying the Mavic 2 Pro using an old DJI Phantom 3 Pro SD card; not a good combination. When you look at the post from "DJI Stephen" he lays out the required specs for the Mavic 2 Pro concerning the SD card. The card you show definitely meets the specifications. You didn't however say what make/model of drone you're using??
From the looks of it, your card should be good to go; unless you simply got a bad card... Maybe you ought to try a different card. Try the same card I used, "Sandisk Extreme V30 Pro 64G". This card is working great for me. It's half the size but when I fly I go thru 3 batteries and have never run out of space for my recordings.
Sorry you're having these problems, they can be annoying but eventually you'll get it worked out... Good luck!

The card I purchased was from Amazon for $32.39. It's working great in the Mavic. Here's the description from the Amazon site;
"SanDisk Extreme PRO microSDXC Memory Card Plus SD Adapter up to 100 MB/s, Class 10, U3, V30, A1 - 64 GB"
2019-1-3
Use props
Nick Di Giugno
lvl.1
United States

I have FOUND A FIX to this laggy/choppy video issue.

The SD card I am using is a sandisk extreme plus 64gb but that's not what fixed my video problem. I noticed only the 4k video from my Mavic 2 pro was laggy/choppy once i imported it into my computer. Anything 2.7k and below looked buttery smooth.

The fix I found is converting the 4k footage to ProRes using a video converter app like EditReady. Once the footage is converted, it plays back flawlessly! So I believe the problem is actually that our computers can't handle the 4k raw footage and converting the footage first lightens the load. So it's not a problem with the drone/camera/video itself. You can even put in your footage to something like Final Cut Pro, export it to h.264 and voila, you have some nice creamy footage!

I uploaded the before and after videos - read the titles!

Hope this helps.

2019-1-22
Use props
Nick Di Giugno
lvl.1
United States

Hey Guys! Decided to make an actual tutorial video going a little bit more in depth on how to solve this issue!
2019-1-30
Use props
Baywatch
lvl.1
United States

Yes I have the same problem but I do not know what could cause this problem I am starting to think this os a hardware issue.
2019-4-4
Use props
David Drills
lvl.1
Italy

I tried to convert to prores but nothing changed.

I read sooo many threads on this problem but it appears that none of them has the solution written.

So I am asking here, did anyone find any solution about choppy footage on the mavic pro 2?

I did several tests

4k or less
24, 25 and 30fps
always doubled the shutter speed using nd filter
tried different sd cards
tried different computers (and btw is very powerful, I easily edit Red Epic footage) and different smart tv
tried different editing software (premiere, final cut, davinci resolve)
reset the drone

but I always ending with an heavily and unusable footage.

I don't even post the video since the web is full of similar ones.

Has anyone found any solution? I am very annoyed with this problem.

Thank you,

David
2019-4-21
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Slow SD card?
2019-4-23
Use props
El Diabolico
Second Officer

Germany

Bueller427 Posted at 1-2 18:59
when i play the video back on my mini iPad when attached to the controller... fine no choppiness ... when i attach /download from MP2 on to my iMac ( opens with quicktime) choppy lag playback....very frustrated
please help

How old is you Mac? ...and how much memory (RAM) do you have installed? Believe it or not, that could be the cause.
2019-4-23
Use props
David Drills
lvl.1
Italy

I did some research and It is not the drone, drone it’s actually working fine. it is something that any video camera has when its moving fast trough still objects, and it’s called “judder effect”.
It mostly happen when the camera is moving (or panning) over a certain speed, so with drones is more evident because most of the time they are moving very fast and very close to some objects (like trees).
Even top cameras like red or arri has it, it is something related to the fps andthe movement speed, but it all depends to the hertz of the monitor where the video is playing.
You can notice judder effect in every drone video all over the internet or any hollywood’s moovie when the camera is moving or panning. The only place where you won’t get that is on cinema screens because the can select any heatz parameter they want.
This video has a good explanation: https://youtu.be/qAVfIQ2G7Io
Or just google judder effect and you’ll understand everything about it.
2019-4-25
Use props
KVSRaju Kanumuri
lvl.2
Flight distance : 26703 ft
India

I am also facing same issue, I am converting this drone video at Davinci resolve 15 software
2019-6-26
Use props
CONTROL FREQ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3762346 ft
United States

Same here.

I just bought my Mavic 2 pro and am so disappointed.

I am using the Sandisk Extreme Plus V30 128 GB micro sd card.

I still have my P3P and it takes smooth and beautiful video!

Are there some settings in the camera that I can adjust?

I'm impressed with the drone and it's flying ability but so far, really disappointed.
2019-8-8
Use props
CONTROL FREQ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3762346 ft
United States

Ok.

I played around with the settings and I went from 30 fpm to 24.

Took took drone back up and playback has no more jitter and hesitation like it did before.

Still going to play around with the settings because I still don't have that clean imagery that my P3P has.
The video is still a little fuzzy/grainy.

I put on an ND filter (I forget which one, one that was not very dark but not very light either) and it made a huge difference in quality.

I messed with my P3P settings for years to come up with the recipe for good video.

If anyone tries what I did here, reply back and let us know how it went.

2019-8-8
Use props
PJ Producer
New

United States

OK, I'm shooting 1080/30 and have tried with both internal and SD storage (the SDXC disk is a SanDisk Extreme 128GB V30 A2). It doesn't seem to matter what media is used, the video always has some dropped frames.   This is after I transfer the video from the card or the remote and view it on my Dell Precision 5280 with 3.70GHz i9, 32GB RAM, WIN 10 20H2, Radeon Pro WX2100 graphics off of a SN730 1TB NVMe drive.
2021-6-14
Use props
PJ Producer
New

United States

So I contacted tech support at DJI. The person suggested that 1080/30 was not a standard frame rate (where do they find these people?) and I should try shooting at 90fps. Yes, you heard me right. I went into a high-tech dissertation as to the consequences of such a notion and got a response of "oh, hold on". After Dropboxing a sample clip, I was told that this would be escalated to one of their engineers. That was last week, and I haven't heard a word. Both of our new Mavic 2 Pros are shooting glitchy footage and are completely useless. I'm ready to suggest to management that we send 'em back and look at other manufacturers.
2021-6-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules