Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 2 Pro. Anyone else dealing with really soft corners?
123456Next >
19416 210 2018-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
JeffInCanada
lvl.2
Flight distance : 264157 ft
Canada

Hlo all.

New Mavic 2 pro owner here.  Have owned P4 Pro/P3/Inspire 1 pro in the past so not new to DJI.

Mavic 2 came in last week.  After my first few flights I am really concerned about the softness in the images in the corners.  In particular my lower left corner is blurry enough to be noticeable before any editing or touching the files.  I have tried from F2.8 to F11 and although the image will clear up, the corner remains soft.  I am worried that it is something where I am going to have to send in my new drone right in the middle of beautiful fall color season.  I didnt opt for DJI care because I think a company should warranty their work equally to all customers when spending ~2000$(cdn funds)

Anyhow.  I am worried that a replacement could be a nightmare and such, but curious if others are experiencing issues.   

I attached a cropped in image that wont be of much help   Moreso just lookign for others experiences so far rather then posting detailed samples yet.
2018-9-9
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
Andorra

Depends how bad is it... In mine 1/5 of the right side is falling apart and its soft regardless of F-stop and I will contact support about it soon.
Left is soft but its so small portion of the image that I can accept it.

I can post some samples if you're curious enough.
2018-9-9
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Can you post some images
2018-9-9
Use props
JeffInCanada
lvl.2
Canada

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-9 09:48
Can you post some images

I am working on that.  The file size limitations on here will make me use an external site.  Just trying to compile good examples
2018-9-9
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there. thank you for reaching out and we're very sorry for the Inconvenience. Kindly please provide some sample of an issue for better visualization as well, you can upload it through Dropbox or google drive so that you will not encountering any size limit and compress image as well and post the link here, Thanks!
2018-9-9
Use props
JeffInCanada
lvl.2
Canada

Im working on some proper examples.  This was from last night, and I have about 20 or 30 shots that are similar.  The lower 15% left of the photo just seems to fudge up really quickly.  this was shot at F4 and the far right corner stays more intact.  Truthfully, I also find it strange that when adjusting the f stops, I notice the falloff in the vignette changes more in that corner as well.  I suspect a possible lens de-centered issue or something.  And before anyone jumps on my back, keep in mind I was a happy P4 pro photographer who had won some awards with P4 pro shots!  Im being a little extra anal here.    eg.   https://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/photos/9383510/  & https://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/photos/11428997/

First shot is main photo.  Shot at F4.  2nd photo is near the center, and third photo is the lower left.

2018-9-9
Use props
JeffInCanada
lvl.2
Canada

F2.8 far left corner in another image at a slightly different angle.  Rest of image is reasonably sharp  
2018-9-9
Use props
JeffInCanada
lvl.2
Canada

Perhaps I am expecting too much?!  Im a classic pixel peeper and I am used to shooting with my Nikon D850 and various quality FX lenses.  I know this is a smaller sensor and much different less expensive optics.

99% of people likely wouldnt notice, hence this is why I am asking around if others are experiencing some issues.  I might just return/sell it and pick up another Phantom 4 pro or wait for the upcoming P5 :/
2018-9-9
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I had better results with Mavic Air regarding corner/edge sharpens
Also it varies in M2P as I saw Video footage on YT and whole left side was soft, same amount as mine but in mine right side is affected.
Toms-tech DNGs are good though so who knows... maybe there are good units.
Full size image

Everything over the red line is soft

Whole soft area
2018-9-9
Use props
JeffInCanada
lvl.2
Canada

Agreed.  Soft.
2018-9-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

JeffInCanada Posted at 2018-9-9 10:41
Im working on some proper examples.  This was from last night, and I have about 20 or 30 shots that are similar.  The lower 15% left of the photo just seems to fudge up really quickly.  this was shot at F4 and the far right corner stays more intact.  Truthfully, I also find it strange that when adjusting the f stops, I notice the falloff in the vignette changes more in that corner as well.  I suspect a possible lens de-centered issue or something.  And before anyone jumps on my back, keep in mind I was a happy P4 pro photographer who had won some awards with P4 pro shots!  Im being a little extra anal here.    eg.   https://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/photos/9383510/  & https://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/photos/11428997/

Posted examples, look a lot like posted examples from Mavic Air.  
I believe one MA owner found that image sensor to lens was out of alignment with center of lens.
2018-9-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

JeffInCanada Posted at 2018-9-9 10:49
Perhaps I am expecting too much?!  Im a classic pixel peeper and I am used to shooting with my Nikon D850 and various quality FX lenses.  I know this is a smaller sensor and much different less expensive optics.

99% of people likely wouldnt notice, hence this is why I am asking around if others are experiencing some issues.  I might just return/sell it and pick up another Phantom 4 pro or wait for the upcoming P5 :/

It is not because you are a ''classic pixel peeper'', the images posted have soft places or are OOF in areas.

Had a Professional (read $$$$) camera that would intermittently soften (or OOF) an image throughout DOF of shot.  Take five pictures of same thing, and one picture was Pixel Peeping perfect.  Other four varied from okay to not.
2018-9-9
Use props
JeffInCanada
lvl.2
Canada

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-9 11:22
Posted examples, look a lot like posted examples from Mavic Air.  
I believe one MA owner found that image sensor to lens was out of alignment with center of lens.

When I look at the camera really close with a LED flashlight it almost appears that it might be shifted a little because the ring seems a little off center.  Ughhh.  I have a feeling this will be sent back , and RIGHT in the middle of the beautiful fall colors!
2018-9-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

JeffInCanada Posted at 2018-9-9 11:31
When I look at the camera really close with a LED flashlight it almost appears that it might be shifted a little because the ring seems a little off center.  Ughhh.  I have a feeling this will be sent back , and RIGHT in the middle of the beautiful fall colors!

Don't know that is the problem, only a possibility.
Perhaps others can chime in.
Get DJI Support involved.  Granted, that requires a big-leap of faith.  
2018-9-9
Use props
JeffInCanada
lvl.2
Canada

This picture doesnt really do much justice because you cannot see the slight misalignment very well.  IT appears the element is almost shifted a slight bit to one side more then the other and you can see it when u look from various angles.  Very slight but perhaps causes issues?! .  Im not sure how much impact this would have, but I am just trying to figure out if I have a weak copy or its just the way things are on this drone.  

2018-9-9
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

To be honest, it looks just like my first MP.
When I returned it (because of GPS malfunction) I got a refurb one back (different drone) and that one did not have this issue.
So in my case it was clearly an issue with the camera system.
So I am curious how other M2P users are seeing their corners.
2018-9-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

JeffInCanada Posted at 2018-9-9 11:40
This picture doesnt really do much justice because you cannot see the slight misalignment very well.  IT appears the element is almost shifted a slight bit to one side more then the other and you can see it when u look from various angles.  Very slight but perhaps causes issues?! .  Im not sure how much impact this would have, but I am just trying to figure out if I have a weak copy or its just the way things are on this drone.  

[view_image]

Zooming in, and looking at camera lens and opening leading to sensor, it looks like there are two offsets.

Double-Offset.jpg

Yellow pair of Arrows pointing to offset towards upper left corner.
Red pair of Arrows pointing to offset towards top and slightly left corner.

Summary: Don't look good to me...

Perhaps ask Hasselblad?

2018-9-9
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I need to check mine, It would be interesting to see as I have whole side OOF, not just the corners
2018-9-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-9 12:46
Zooming in, and looking at camera lens and opening leading to sensor, it looks like there are two offsets.

[view_image]

Looking at Original posted picture of camera, it does look like camera used to take picture is not looking directly into drone's camera.  Which might get appearance of offsets.  

Although 'JeffnCanada' does say it looking from various angles element appears to be shifted to one side.

Suggest taking a centered picture (via center focus dot in center of drone camera eye), and possibly using a DSLR camera.  Likely going to be needed to show DJI support the possible cause of softness or slightly  OOF.
2018-9-9
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My goes slightly sideways too.

2018-9-9
Use props
simis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 405102 ft
Latvia

Even on DJI page pictures show some shift to side but DJI  will say that it is "NORMAL"
2018-9-9
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Crio Posted at 2018-9-9 15:25
My goes slightly sideways too.
[view_image]

Does not look nearly as shifted.
Are you seeing any soft areas or OOF areas?
2018-9-10
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-10 00:00
Does not look nearly as shifted.
Are you seeing any soft areas or OOF areas?

My whole right side is OOF trough all F-stops

2018-9-10
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-10
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-10
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-10 05:50
I would definetely try to play around with the 'tap to focus' function a little more before deciding. Also, the M2P is a little soft out of the box. Try +1 Sharpness and use the Focus peaking to ensure everything you wish to be sharp is highlighted when you are focused to infinity. Use f/4 to f/5.6, the 1" sensor is still small and will encounter the limits of diffraction sooner than later. Sensor missalignement cannot be seing on the exterior of the lens as shown in some of those pictures, that can be poor QC or simply an aesthetical issue. My original MP had that issue with a right blurry / mushy corner.

ps. i tried some hyperfocal calculations with a Nikon 1 (similar 1" sensor) and with a focal point at 100m (subject in focus), if focusing at 12.6m we should have everything in acceptable sharpness from 11m to infinity. This might also work for you...

Hi El Pablo
I've already tried everything you mentioned and it did not bring any results.
Tap to focus, centre focus, manual focus and all F-stops, IMU calibrated etc.
It remains soft regardless.
2018-9-10
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-10 05:35
There's no lens in the world (actually there is, I am trying to make a point) that will be tack sharp edge to edge, even in very expensive FF glass, it is normal. You are pixel peeping to great depths my friend, your photos look great  

From Dustin Abbotts's Blog, the 1.500 Zeiss 18mm Batis (I took a wide angle lens for comparison). You can clearly see that edges suffer no matter the price and we are talking Full Frame here, imagine all that in a miniature 1" sensor...

Youre right and I dont mind softness on edges.
But not whole right side thats taking 1/3 of the actual frame
Left side is more than acceptable.

I had MP with same issue as yours too.
2018-9-10
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-10 05:35
There's no lens in the world (actually there is, I am trying to make a point) that will be tack sharp edge to edge, even in very expensive FF glass, it is normal. You are pixel peeping to great depths my friend, your photos look great  

From Dustin Abbotts's Blog, the 1.500 Zeiss 18mm Batis (I took a wide angle lens for comparison). You can clearly see that edges suffer no matter the price and we are talking Full Frame here, imagine all that in a miniature 1" sensor...

Difference between tack sharp with Pixel Peepers, and quite obvious without putting image under virtual Loupe.
2018-9-10
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

HedgeTrimmer Posted at 2018-9-10 06:45
Difference between tack sharp with Pixel Peepers, and quite obvious without putting image under virtual Loupe.

Its not even that. Not only It cannot be fixed digitally by adding sharpness but Im printing a lot and Im printing usually bigger than 15'' on longer age.

At the moment I need to cut this much as its lost and noticeable on the print.

I guess the next step it will be to contact DJI Support and have hope it can be resolved quickly.
2018-9-10
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-10
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-10
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>

Yeah, mine is going back to service Just finished talking to CS.
Im hoping it will be replace and its not a repetitive issue.
2018-9-11
Use props
Charissa
Second Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

Have to say, I also noticed the OOF areas almost immediately. I would send it back, if it were mine.
2018-9-11
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-11 03:39
Have to say, I also noticed the OOF areas almost immediately. I would send it back, if it were mine.

Yeah I have to send it. Will open a ticket when I'll be back home
2018-9-11
Use props
Necro
lvl.1
Flight distance : 57835 ft
Slovakia

same here, soft on lower left corner
2018-9-11
Use props
JeffInCanada
lvl.2
Canada

Dealing with support. I would like to try another copy just to see if my issue goes away.  I did more troubleshooting yesterday, and I can certainly notice as well as my friends who I sent photos to, that the lower left seems a fair bit softer compared to the other corners.  I want more for my 2000$.....  So I am asking to swap drones, and I have zero issues paying for shipping or whatever.
I do feel DJI support is fast and willing to help, but sometimes you need to be fairly direct.  Im not being SUPER picky, but in this case I want optimal image quality.  My Phantom 4 photos are SHARP when stepped down provide excellent images, so I am using that as my baseline!

Since this is so new and they likely pushed out a lot in a hurry, I wouldnt doubt some minor QC issues.  I also bet most people do not noticve the small stuff.

But there are us pixel peepers, who spent a lot on gear, and take pride in sharp images.  I dont want to say "good enough" whenI know it can be better!

2018-9-11
Use props
VoxUltrasonic
lvl.3
Flight distance : 328602 ft
Canada

I had this exact same problem with my original Mavic Pro. I believe it has something to do with a slight misalignment between the sensor and lens. It's not "normal", as it varies from unit to unit (the location/spread/intensity of the blurring effect varies from drone to drone). Unlike the fish-eye distortion when shooting in DLOG, this isn't something that you can fix in post. I wonder if the MP2 has the red-spot too. We shall see when the snow videos start popping up.
2018-9-11
Use props
djiuser_1CA8tirt0axr
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I have noticed same issue. I have created thread here with links to pictures:

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D541%26typeid%3D541

For reference my pictures are here to compare:
Full picture: https://ibb.co/j9BMs9
Right cropped example: https://ibb.co/cxyWQU
Compare to left cropped example: https://ibb.co/bKAT5U
2018-9-12
Use props
bobsma
lvl.4

United States

thanks for the heads up on this issue. this will be the first thing I check.
2018-9-12
Use props
Ssäsch
lvl.4
Germany

Hi everyone.
I too noticed some softer areas in my pictures and even video and just went out to do some testing.

Sample pictures are at f 4 (seems to be the sharpest edge to edge wise, center sharpness seems better on f 2.8), high shutter (around 800-1600) to have motion blur not be a factor. I took the dng raws into Photoshop, did no corrections at all, I just wanted to have uncompressed data to work with.
Pictures are taken with the gimbal facing straight down on a flat ground, so assuming the lens has a level focal plane everything should be in focus, of course having in mind that sharpness usually is not even across the frame.

Here is my results:
Original Shot
Cropped to center and upper corners

Upper left corner is considerably more soft, no lens should have that much falloff to the edges. Top right corner is what I would except from a lens that size on a 1" sensor.

It's even more pronounced in this example:
Original Shot
Cropped to center and upper corners

In general I have the feeling my lens / camera combination has a high sharpness falloff to the left, with the top left corner being the worst.

Could we maybe have an answer from a DJI employee here? Is this still considered "normal"?
2018-9-12
Use props
123456Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules