Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 2 Pro. Anyone else dealing with really soft corners?
658046 658046 2018-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Ssäsch
lvl.4
Germany

Oh and one more thing: My photos were taken in 16:9 mode. So my top left corner shouldn't be this soft, the image circle of the lens should be a lot taller (3:2 to be exact).
2018-9-12
Use props
djiuser_1CA8tirt0axr
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Anyone raised a support call to see what happens next?
2018-9-12
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
Flight distance : 67713 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Yes, mine has whole right side out of focus. I was advised to sent the unit for replacement. Im waiting for a shipping label.
2018-9-12
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-12
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I’m almost certain that this problem and many other issues will be fixed in upcoming updates....
2018-9-13
Use props
Ssäsch
lvl.4
Germany

If this is a lens / sensor misalignment there is no way to fix this with software...
2018-9-13
Use props
DRONE-flies-YOU!
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1450594 ft
United States

Your camera is more than likely not assembled correctly. That’s a lot of tiny stuff and these are still assembled completely by hand. DJI won’t let us post pics of the inside of their factory here or links to those pics. It’s been attempted in the past.

I went through 3 Mavic Pros before I got a “good” one. This is why I bought them at Best Buy; so I receive good CUSTOMER service. It’s worth actually paying the tax on these products.
I also went through 2 Phantom 4 Pro Pluses to get a properly manufactured unit. It’s just part of the frustration dealing with DJI.
2018-9-13
Use props
djiuser_1CA8tirt0axr
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Let us know when you get replacements to see if it has been corrected in later batches, please.
I'm going to be doing more tests tomorrow and will report back.
I think I'll try with landscape mode which adds 1 stop of sharpness. I'll also try testing more with higher aperture values.
I'll also have to chance to compare against another Mavic 2 pro to see if its the same.
2018-9-14
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

My M2P is on its way to Service for a replacement.

Im hoping its not as repetitive as with MP
I was waiting over 8 mths to buy it and though it was sorted but I still got a MP with soft edge ( same issue ) over 8 mths after release.

Fingers crossed.
2018-9-14
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638911 ft
France

Hooo Nooo... Not again :/   ....
2018-9-15
Use props
djiuser_1CA8tirt0axr
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Crio Posted at 2018-9-14 12:53
My M2P is on its way to Service for a replacement.

Im hoping its not as repetitive as with MP

I got a service replacement request initiated.
Did you have to send everything back or just the drone body?
It says if it's DOA then send everything back including SD card?!
2018-9-15
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

djiuser_1CA8tirt0axr Posted at 2018-9-15 11:59
I got a service replacement request initiated.
Did you have to send everything back or just the drone body?
It says if it's DOA then send everything back including SD card?!

Im assuming that if you are requesting for a replacement you will receive the whole sealed box after the process is completed.
So yeah, everything that was in the M2P box needs to go back.
2018-9-15
Use props
Helicam
lvl.3
Sweden

Im having the exact same issue. But my left sides of the images are very soft. I have uploaded 7 pictures on my Google drive so you can see them..  I dont know how much of a issue this is thou, but you can clearly see on the left side when you zoom in, that they are much softer then the right side.  And this is on every picture!

Here is the link:
https://drive.google.com/open?id ... CFgBqTXKGUhOAlZUIT7
2018-9-16
Use props
djiuser_1CA8tirt0axr
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Helicam Posted at 2018-9-16 10:51
Im having the exact same issue. But my left sides of the images are very soft. I have uploaded 7 pictures on my Google drive so you can see them..  I dont know how much of a issue this is thou, but you can clearly see on the left side when you zoom in, that they are much softer then the right side.  And this is on every picture!

Here is the link:

Nice pics shame you got the same issue but the left side. Awaiting a shipping label here then I'll be sending for a replacement. Got chance to compare with another Mavix 2 Pro the other day and his didn't show the issue so we just got bad luck of the draw.
2018-9-16
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1730177 ft
Latvia

Im having the exact same issue. But my left sides of the images are very soft. I have uploaded 7 pictures on my Google drive so you can see them..  I dont know how much of a issue this is thou, but you can clearly see on the left side when you zoom in, that they are much softer then the right side.  And this is on every picture!

Here is the link:

Looks like Stockholm
I travel a lot to Stockholm and never bring with me my Mavic. Is it allowed to fly there? Need bring mine too
2018-9-16
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

2018-9-16
Use props
Ssäsch
lvl.4
Germany

El Diablo, I work in the film industry and I have experience with a wide range of lenses, cheap still photo glass all the way up to Zeiss Master Primes or big anamorphics. You are right, there is physical limits to how good you can build those tiny lenses, but what I've seen in my pictures is worse than it should be.
I have a contact at DJI and sent him these pictures, he forwarded them to the developers. They said, this is not normal / outside of production tolerance and I should get my unit replaced. So no, I don't think we are deluded and we can except more of this product, we just were unlucky and received bad copies, which happens during manufacturing with pretty much every product.
2018-9-16
Use props
djiuser_1CA8tirt0axr
lvl.1
United Kingdom

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-16 21:20
I will say this one more time from a photographer´s perspective: there’s 1 case in here with 1/3 of the frame displaying focus issues. The rest of you, talking about EXTREME corners not being as sharp as the center of the image are simply deluded... there’s no way, I repeat, NO WAY to make ANY wide angle lens at this size and price point to be sharp edge to edge, it is physics! Also, the majority of M2P users are shooting above f/5.6 and unfortunately, due to the sensor size (1” is still very small), diffraction is kicking-in, softening anything...
The fellow above is zooming in the image at 300%, let’s be serious here, this is not a Full Frame 45Mpx coupled with a Zeiss 21mm Distagon... what are you expecting??? That lens is so tiny... guys, seriously, get a grip.

Wow. Soft corners is one thing but for a few of here we are experiencing 1/3 or 1/4 with out of focus issues. I've done a side by side, like for like picture test using two M2Ps. We agreed I got a defective camera. Maybe you need to see another example of the defect some of us are getting... I'l upload another picture when I get time.
2018-9-17
Use props
djiuser_1CA8tirt0axr
lvl.1
United Kingdom

For the pixel peepers here that notice image quality, this video is quite interesting if a bit annoying to know about ->
2018-9-17
Use props
djiuser_1CA8tirt0axr
lvl.1
United Kingdom

djiuser_1CA8tirt0axr Posted at 2018-9-17 01:07
For the pixel peepers here that notice image quality, this video is quite interesting if a bit annoying to know about -> https://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=166563&extra=page%3D1%26filter%3Dtypeid%26typeid%3D541%26typeid%3D541

Sorry main link the existing thread is here - > https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... D541%26typeid%3D541
2018-9-17
Use props
Helicam
lvl.3
Sweden

Andrejs Posted at 2018-9-16 13:33
Looks like Stockholm
I travel a lot to Stockholm and never bring with me my Mavic. Is it allowed to fly there? Need bring mine too

Yes its Stockholm, and you are allowed to fly there as long as Bromma airport is closed on the weekends.  :-)
2018-9-17
Use props
Helicam
lvl.3
Sweden

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-16 21:20
I will say this one more time from a photographer´s perspective: there’s 1 case in here with 1/3 of the frame displaying focus issues. The rest of you, talking about EXTREME corners not being as sharp as the center of the image are simply deluded... there’s no way, I repeat, NO WAY to make ANY wide angle lens at this size and price point to be sharp edge to edge, it is physics! Also, the majority of M2P users are shooting above f/5.6 and unfortunately, due to the sensor size (1” is still very small), diffraction is kicking-in, softening anything...
The fellow above is zooming in the image at 300%, let’s be serious here, this is not a Full Frame 45Mpx coupled with a Zeiss 21mm Distagon... what are you expecting??? That lens is so tiny... guys, seriously, get a grip.

Ofc you are right.  But look at my images here, I dont think it should be this much difference on the left vs right side of the images or?

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... CFgBqTXKGUhOAlZUIT7
2018-9-17
Use props
Andrejs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1730177 ft
Latvia

Helicam Posted at 2018-9-17 23:46
Yes its Stockholm, and you are allowed to fly there as long as Bromma airport is closed on the weekends.  :-)

Oh nice. But what about working days?
Is there any info/map with places where it is allowed.
2018-9-18
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-18
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-18
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2018-9-18
Use props
fans6c39b3bc
lvl.1
United States

Same issue here.  Right 1/3 of the image is  completely out of focus - way beyond “soft.”  The rest of the image is softer than my MA.  Not impressed.  
2018-9-21
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-9-13 02:39
I’m almost certain that this problem and many other issues will be fixed in upcoming updates....

Only if you first reformat SD card, and reset your camera settings.
2018-9-21
Use props
Ssäsch
lvl.4
Germany

El Diablo Posted at 2018-9-18 23:11
i don't disagree with your case although I guess yours wasn't having just soft corners... people here is showing 2 kind of "issues", the corners are normal, half the frame softer is not

Did another test and I'm contacting support on monday... Bottom right corner is what I would consider normal falloff to the edges. Top left is not.  Do you agree?

2018-9-22
Use props
castormalin
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638911 ft
France

Having corners softer than the center is usual.
On MP2 even if one 100% perfect lens, it will NEVER be possible to get good corners after applying a distorsion correction.

What is abnormal is to get an asymmetric lost of resolution. If so, something is wrong in the lens or in the sensor alignment => in this case, return it is the only way...The example above is a good one.
2018-9-22
Use props
Mabou2
lvl.4
Flight distance : 811257 ft
  • >>>
United States

I don't think any of this is acceptable.  Seeing the lens/camera off-center is probably a good indicator.  This is a precision instrument and the lens/camera being misaligned could absolutely be the cause of the problem.  I am going to take a closer look at my M2P lens to see if it has the same issue.
2018-9-22
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

2018-9-23
Use props
TC-DJI
lvl.1
United States

Sent mine back to DJI for a refund.  Bought a replacement at my local Best Buy and it's perfect (yes, the corners are softer than the center, but the 1/3 frame out of focus issue is not present in the replacement M2P).  

Interestingly, the Best Buy M2P has newer firmware from the factory than the one that came straight from DJI.  
2018-9-30
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7260 ft
United States

Im having the exact same issue. But my left sides of the images are very soft. I have uploaded 7 pictures on my Google drive so you can see them..  I dont know how much of a issue this is thou, but you can clearly see on the left side when you zoom in, that they are much softer then the right side.  And this is on every picture!

Here is the link:

Same here. Left side seems to be soft no matter what aperture I'm at. Raised my concern with support since I'm already talking to them about focusing in pano mode.

2018-10-1
Use props
reclaimednj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 7260 ft
United States

Ssäsch Posted at 2018-9-22 02:53
Did another test and I'm contacting support on monday... Bottom right corner is what I would consider normal falloff to the edges. Top left is not.  Do you agree?
[view_image]
[view_image]

Damn, that's terrible and exactly what I'm seeing in mine (left side out of focus)

2018-10-1
Use props
Ssäsch
lvl.4
Germany

reclaimednj Posted at 2018-10-1 17:06
Damn, that's terrible and exactly what I'm seeing in mine (left side out of focus)

[view_image]

Update:
Contacted support and sent the drone in. They exchanged the whole camera / gimbal module under warranty and it's back on its way here. Should arrive today and I will post new sample pics once I get a chance.

Yes, your pic looks like mine except it's the whole left side and even worse. You should contact support and get this sorted out.
2018-10-2
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>

I received my replacement unit few days ago. It is definitely better but still not as it should be.
Meaning the image is more usable, but there is 100% out of focus softness in the same areas.

Its clearly a situation that there is loads of units that have variety of issues like that and the question is are you willing to take a chance and replace untill you have a good example.
There is a chance though you will get a worse unit than you had before.

Another thing that I've noticed is that it matters where you tap to focus.

Center

Left

Right

2018-10-2
Use props
Bussty
Second Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

Crio Posted at 2018-10-2 03:05
I received my replacement unit few days ago. It is definitely better but still not as it should be.
Meaning the image is more usable, but there is 100% out of focus softness in the same areas.

This is definitely not cool. Not helping my decision process to buy a MP2 or not. I really want it for stills and so far I have only seen stills users noting this issue. You would think the FOV video would show it up as well but I guess video hides a bit plus that mode has issues of it's own. Good luck with sorting, what are you going to do? Live with it or send back?
2018-10-2
Use props
Crio
lvl.4
  • >>>

Here is the link:

Yeah Its very similiar to what I had with my first unit but on oposite side. Sorry to hear you have this issue. I know its very frustraiting. Trust me.
My replecement unit came last week and as its better its still having side softness regardless.
I dont know yet if I will be replacing this one too or I'll leave it.
2018-10-2
Use props
Ssäsch
lvl.4
Germany

Bussty Posted at 2018-10-2 03:22
This is definitely not cool. Not helping my decision process to buy a MP2 or not. I really want it for stills and so far I have only seen stills users noting this issue. You would think the FOV video would show it up as well but I guess video hides a bit plus that mode has issues of it's own. Good luck with sorting, what are you going to do? Live with it or send back?

I actually noticed it in video first and just confirmed using stills, shooting straight down on a high contrast surface allows you to really see whats going on...
2018-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules