Mavic 2 Pro. Anyone else dealing with really soft corners?
19840 210 2018-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

FFerrarini Posted at 12-21 12:22
Hi all... I'm very sad to read about all these problems. I bought the mavic 2 pro right today and I immediately tried to make some shots with the camera facing down to see any problems with the lens. at this point I'm confused, do you think it's okay? I have 7 days to request a replacement from my seller, but I think it's not so useful ...

all the photos inserted are taken at 100 ISO and f2.8 ... do you think I found a good one?

Hello FeFerrarini

Thanks for posting the shots, some interesting viewpoints there!

I see all the images are taken at f2.8 and as expected edge sharpness is soft compared to the centre which does appear nice and sharp. Compared to  high end 28mm DSLR lens wide open and as expected I would say softer but that's just a physical limitation of this camera and sensor in a drone this size. What will be really telling is if could post some similar images taken at f4 or f5.6 as this appears to be the sweet spot for this camera...
2018-12-21
Use props
FFerrarini
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

Bussty Posted at 12-21 17:55
Hello FeFerrarini

Thanks for posting the shots, some interesting viewpoints there!

Sure ! Today I will take other images at 4/5.6 and I will post here!
2018-12-22
Use props
Ssäsch
lvl.4
Germany

FFerrarini Posted at 12-21 12:22
Hi all... I'm very sad to read about all these problems. I bought the mavic 2 pro right today and I immediately tried to make some shots with the camera facing down to see any problems with the lens. at this point I'm confused, do you think it's okay? I have 7 days to request a replacement from my seller, but I think it's not so useful ...

all the photos inserted are taken at 100 ISO and f2.8 ... do you think I found a good one?

Hey. The pictures you provided seem reasonable sharp to me. On my first unit one corner of the image was way more blurry and mushy compared to the others. What we are seeing here is within what I find acceptable for a sensor / lens this size. Sure corners are a little bit softer, but it's uniform across all 4 and it will get better if you stop down a bit.
2018-12-22
Use props
FFerrarini
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

I have taken other pictures... one at f4 and one at f5.6 for situation... please give me your opinion about my drone... I keep this one and I activate the DJI care or I try a change with my dealer?

https://drive.google.com/open?id ... a_qgtM8v6eheWpC7iAH
2018-12-22
Use props
jmb63
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>
United States

FFerrarini Posted at 12-22 05:18
I have taken other pictures... one at f4 and one at f5.6 for situation... please give me your opinion about my drone... I keep this one and I activate the DJI care or I try a change with my dealer?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1DAnVYjURef0fAa_qgtM8v6eheWpC7iAH

The newest photos are definitely better than the first batch and reflect the change in aperture.
Even the first batch did not have the extreme problem that a few have had with a whole side of the image being blurry/soft.
In my opinion, the camera on your bird is a good one and will just need to watch your aperture settings (apparently a common thing with this size lens and sensor)
2018-12-22
Use props
FFerrarini
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

jmb63 Posted at 12-22 06:41
The newest photos are definitely better than the first batch and reflect the change in aperture.
Even the first batch did not have the extreme problem that a few have had with a whole side of the image being blurry/soft.
In my opinion, the camera on your bird is a good one and will just need to watch your aperture settings (apparently a common thing with this size lens and sensor)

Thank you for your comment... my drone has the same softness in all the corners and this maybe is normal... but when I go on google and I find images like these I think if I'm lucky or not!

https://smartwear.sk/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/DJI_0465.jpg
https://highonandroid.com/wp-con ... le-20mp-photo-3.jpg
https://forum44.djicdn.com/data/ ... qorcldbrrl3mrio.jpg

I have other 24 h for activate the DJI CARE and other 5 days to change it from my dealer and I don't know what I have to do...
2018-12-22
Use props
ff22
Second Officer
United States

FFerrarini Posted at 12-22 07:03
Thank you for your comment... my drone has the same softness in all the corners and this maybe is normal... but when I go on google and I find images like these I think if I'm lucky or not!

My thoughts - if the lens is not producing clear images, than it is defective and you should not need to use the DJI Care process.  It should be clearly just a warranty issue.  

But you have to decide if the results are reasonable or normal for a lens of that size????
2018-12-22
Use props
Ssäsch
lvl.4
Germany

Thank you for your comment... my drone has the same softness in all the corners and this maybe is normal... but when I go on google and I find images like these I think if I'm lucky or not!

The tree topshot has the worst jpeg compression on top of over sharpening going on. Still top right corner is softer than the rest.  The beach / sea shot shows softer upper and lower right corners and a lot of chromatic aberration. It's entirely not as sharp as your examples I feel like.

Your camera seems fine to me. A lot better than my first one and comparable to the one I fly now.
2018-12-22
Use props
M Stuart K
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1267717 ft
  • >>>
United States

I guess I am a lucky owner!  Any image that turns out bad for me is my fault.  The aircraft takes amazing photos and videos!  
2018-12-22
Use props
Bussty
First Officer
Flight distance : 320951 ft
New Zealand

I think the second lot of images are definitely sharper in the corners than the shots taken wide open at f2.8.

Your corners are still slightly soft but normal for the MP2 from what I have seen and given the configuration or lens/sensor. Some purchasers have had some severe softness but looks like you have a good one!
2018-12-23
Use props
FFerrarini
lvl.2
  • >>>
Italy

Bussty Posted at 12-23 03:28
I think the second lot of images are definitely sharper in the corners than the shots taken wide open at f2.8.

Your corners are still slightly soft but normal for the MP2 from what I have seen and given the configuration or lens/sensor. Some purchasers have had some severe softness but looks like you have a good one!

thank you all for comments...
2018-12-23
Use props
norimbo
lvl.1
Poland

Hi
I have the same problem on videos and photos right side of frame is soft. For me that's evident problem of the lens it's shifted. Please look at the photos:
right corner. Full photo:
2018-12-23
Use props
norimbo
lvl.1
Poland

cropped left sharp
cropped center sharp
2018-12-23
Use props
QUBO1234
lvl.2
United States

Skyris Posted at 10-3 21:33
I am having the same issue, left is better than right, shot at f4 which seems to be the sharpest I have read and seen on youtube. I know this is pixel peeping but its not just in the corners but like others more of a band on the left and right covering more or less a third.. has anyone tried without the uv filter?

[view_image]

As you suggested, I shot without the UV filter and have found that it improves edge sharpness.  It's not perfect, but better.  Yes,  I had similar issues as others with softness on the edges (not just the corners) and loss of contrast.        
2018-12-30
Use props
VIZ Produkcija
lvl.4
Flight distance : 646844 ft
  • >>>
Serbia

In this example, corners are sharp, but avoid f/2.8. The best results are at f/5.6

2018-12-30
Use props
norimbo
lvl.1
Poland

My problem is not soft corners of the lens. That's normal with some poor quality lenses. My lens in mavic 2 pro is shifted so that's general problem with quality of products of DJI. That's not acceptable. Moreover now I have to wait two weeks for new drone because dji has very bed support. I bought new drone which is broke and after sending back to my seller I have to wait two weeks for repair. Tha's very bed support.
2019-1-9
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2019-1-10
Use props
_Yannik
lvl.2

Germany

El Diablo Posted at 1-10 04:43
I am not sure your camera is soft in the right... the angle of the photo is not perpendicular. In other words, the left buildings are closer to the camera while the right ones are further away. Also, what is the amount of cropping that you're applying (zoom level in %)? If you can take another photo with both sides at the same distance it will be more representative of whatever issue your camera migth have.

The depth of field should make sure that both left and right are sharp. I am sure this camera is not ok.

Fferrarini, your camera looks good to me! I would be happy to have a M2P like yours. I already returned my second M2P with blurry right side issues and hope that they will replace it now with a sharp M2P. Pretty frustrating!
2019-1-12
Use props
norimbo
lvl.1
Poland

El Diablo everything is is taken on infinity focus so let side of photo and right side should be in focus. That's to far to have difference in sharpness when the object is 40 meters from the drone.
2019-1-14
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2019-1-14
Use props
flightlogicRV9
lvl.3
United States

Please don't think me rude, but when we as forum members pose the question: " could we maybe have an answer from a DJI employee here?"
What possible answer are you expecting?  1.   "yes, it is an expensive toy product made on an assembly line by low wage workers and the camera quality is sub par."
2.  "some drones made on the assembly line on a Monday or a Friday have quality control issues... but we ship them anyway."
3.  " may we ask, what firmware version are you using, so we may understand better?"
I feel the frustration on a daily basis while reading the various reports of flyaway drones, fuzzy photos, bad battery behavior etc.    But I don't see that a customer will realize any concrete answers from a moderator here after complaining about quality issues.  If they publicly admitted fault, I suspect their job would be at risk.   Or worse....
2019-1-14
Use props
norimbo
lvl.1
Poland

I get my mavic 2 pro from dji from dealer and service. They didn't do anything! It's still faulty !!!  That's not normal that legendary Hasselblad camera is sharp on the left side and unsharp on the right side of the frame !!! I'ts shifted lens and that should be fixed during production ! Dear Diablo stop spamming in this thread you can work for dji somewhere else.
2019-1-23
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2019-1-23
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2019-1-23
Use props
Norimboo
lvl.1
Poland

Dear Diablo
I will write this again I hope you will understand this time. In my mavic 2 camera lens is shifted (It should be centered). Read about tilt-shift lenses and maybe you will understand how that works. It's visible on photos taken with sharpness to infinity. Right side of the photo is sharp, left side of the photo is not sharp. If this will be standard problem with worse quality of the lens in the corners of the frame that should be visible on the right and left side of the frame. I have over 15 years experience in photography and I know problems with quality of lenses and sharpness. I am not asking for quality from full frame cameras. I am asking for quality which could be compared with smartphones. With such small sensor 1" There shouldn't be any problems with depth of field when the sharpness is set to infinity. If you want to tell me that's normal. That would mean that DJI has worse optics than 100$ lenses from cheapest cameras. It's much easier to center lens with sensor when the sensor is so small. Where is this legend from Hasselblad lenses ? I can see from this thread that other people (maybe not all) have the same problem. I hope someone in dji will notice that because problem exist !
2019-1-24
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2019-1-24
Use props
_Yannik
lvl.2

Germany

El Diablo Posted at 1-23 02:53
Are you taking some kind of pills with hallucinogenic effects?

Your saying:

El Diablo, you should look first before you insult someone. My first comment (faulty camera) was referred to norimbo´s images because this camera is obviously not ok.

My second sentence was referred to FFerrarini and his images. His camera looks good to me.

El Diablo, there are obviously some customers with this problem and you seem to work against them. What is your motivation to do this?

I just received my third (!) M2P from the DJI Service in Germany last week and it now has an even more blurry area on the right side. This is a manufacturing fault and is not acceptable. I asked the service if they could send me a raw file before they send me the new M2P to avoid another return and they did not. Now I have the same problem again...I am a professional photographer and did not want to use this drone as a toy. The problem is not the overall image quality for me, but the fact that one side of the image is much sharper than the other.

Here are some more crops to see the problem with my new M2P:
2019-1-27
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

2019-1-27
Use props
Norimboo
lvl.1
Poland

Hi I get my second mavic 2 pro. I get it from my seller not from DJI. DJI service just send me back my faulty mavic 2 with shifted lens they didn't recognize the problem. I checked the image in my new mavic 2 pro and it looks much better. I will test it more if I recognize any problems I will write here.
2019-2-3
Use props
_Yannik
lvl.2

Germany

Sounds great, I wish you a lot of fun with your M2P!
2019-2-3
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 917087 ft
Netherlands

You make me worry, mine looks in order, what do you say?
1034F26A-B8A1-46FA-BA4F-6FAEA1F7B7A3.jpeg
30B61B6F-0866-47F4-A270-9B76E3C7C396.jpeg
E1F73375-7DFA-4B39-9773-C4BF85C617F7.jpeg
2019-2-3
Use props
Norimboo
lvl.1
Poland

you have to send full res photos this are to small
2019-2-8
Use props
fans7058241d
lvl.1
France

Hi,

My drone also is currently at DJI Customer Service for the same issue, how have things been for you guys ? i'm worried a bit since the first replies from them is that they don't see the default i'm describing.... ? i have the same issue of blurry right side of image on all footage i've taken with the drone.

Best Regards,
2019-2-8
Use props
JPilotR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 584662 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wow I just discovered this thread. I am a little scared for my M2P now too, but I am not nearly the expert some of the posters here are in regard to their keen eyes. I have only flown my M2P four times as it is brand new for me, and from my test shots, I don't "see" any issues, but I can see the issues in the pics being posted, though I must admit it takes a really keen and professional eye, and my eye for these things is still developing.

Unfortunately I haven't seen much word from DJI on data for this issue. Was this just a bad batch of production, or an insidious issue with quality control? I for one use my M2P for professional level shots. However, the M2P IS a "pro-sumer" drone, which I could never really understand that parlance. Does it side with the consumer, or with the professional? That is my concern from DJI -- do they tilt towards the consumer side, or professional side in quality control of the "pro-sumer" drones? Makes me think I should have just bit the bullet on an Inspire 2 or something.
2019-2-8
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

Norimboo Posted at 2-8 04:37
you have to send full res photos this are to small

in what sense small?
2019-2-8
Use props
scarfasss
lvl.2
Flight distance : 299216 ft
Romania

Hey guys! I have the same issue too. Bought the M2P 3-4 days ago and I'm noticing an out of focus zone on the down right corner. Has anyone replaced their m2p for this issue and got a 100% good one? Because it kind of sucks to spend almost $2000 and send it to warranty for a refurbished one from the begining. I attached my photos below and also a photo of my camera wich seems to be off-centered, just like some of yours are. Let me know what should I do.
Image links:
https://ibb.co/JqJQtKg
https://ibb.co/9wQNNXw
https://ibb.co/QMNd2zq
https://ibb.co/CJZB2Bn
https://ibb.co/LpVHqjy
https://ibb.co/YXC7ZVv
https://ibb.co/NLrdfdz
2019-2-10
Use props
fans7058241d
lvl.1
France

Hi, My drone is expected for delivery very soon.

What i am noting so far is that the support service have been very fast. I however had to pay for return shipment, which i think sucks a bit but let's admit.
a Bit less than 2 weeks from my shipment to the drone return.

However, in the repair process, i do realize that product serial numbers are the same, which makes me think that gimbal have not been replaced (i shall confirm that afterward) and that i fear nothing has been done to the drone.

From the chat i had with text support by email, they seem not really able to "see" the issue, and seem to think it's normal.

I shall keep you updated.
2019-2-12
Use props
fans7058241d
lvl.1
France

scarfasss Posted at 2-10 12:47
Hey guys! I have the same issue too. Bought the M2P 3-4 days ago and I'm noticing an out of focus zone on the down right corner. Has anyone replaced their m2p for this issue and got a 100% good one? Because it kind of sucks to spend almost $2000 and send it to warranty for a refurbished one from the begining. I attached my photos below and also a photo of my camera wich seems to be off-centered, just like some of yours are. Let me know what should I do.
Image links:
https://ibb.co/JqJQtKg

Hi,

You seem to be having the same issue as i do. However, i believe what i see on my drone is a bit worse.

So far, from what i see in this topic, there is the "full left side blur" and "bottom right corner blur".

It's not only softness that i see, but also a bit more noise in the image.
2019-2-12
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

fans7058241d Posted at 2-12 08:51
Hi,

You seem to be having the same issue as i do. However, i believe what i see on my drone is a bit worse.

Post your photos here
2019-2-12
Use props
scarfas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 299216 ft
Romania

EnricoBrun Posted at 2-12 09:56
Post your photos here

2019-2-14
Use props
Advanced