Mavic 2 Pro. Anyone else dealing with really soft corners?
19432 210 2018-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Flight distance : 917087 ft
Italy

scarfas Posted at 2-14 04:00
[view_image]
[view_image]
[view_image]

from the photos you can not see anything unusual! You can only notice the lens of the cam lens not perfectly in the center! here is mine, for comparison
B711E567-1B6C-40EE-A883-41864C3D0E6C.jpeg
2019-2-14
Use props
scarfas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 299216 ft
Romania

EnricoBrun Posted at 2-14 16:07
from the photos you can not see anything unusual! You can only notice the lens of the cam lens not perfectly in the center! here is mine, for comparison

The pictures tend to be softer on the lower right corner when zoomed in - I think the forum is somehow resizing the uploaded pictures. Will do some more testing to see if the camera lens being not centered has anything to do with it. Thanks!
2019-2-15
Use props
Giammi
lvl.4
Flight distance : 847795 ft
Italy

I've just seen this topic and I've the same issue.. the right side of the image is blurred.. to me looks like that the lenses are not properly aligned, but I fear that sending it in for replacement will only let me without my drone for some days..
What I've found is that somehow it is very sensible to focusing.. if you properly focus on the blurred area the effect is much less visible and even the rest of the image is not that bad..
I'll do more tests this weekend BTW..
2019-2-15
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

Every image I think at the ends are less in focus than the center! I do not know images that at the corners are perfectly in focus as in the center!
ACDE23D5-EA3F-4897-B5EC-3DFD67443721.jpeg
2019-2-15
Use props
Hikarinoko
lvl.1
France

EnricoBrun Posted at 2-15 08:59
Every image I think at the ends are less in focus than the center! I do not know images that at the corners are perfectly in focus as in the center!

I'm uploading a video to YouTube showing the issue, it's obvious that the camera has an issue.

I took, in the end, crops of bottom left and bottom right corners, and even if sharpness on edges are never as good as in center on a "standard" camera, i'm sorry, but the difference i definitly not that much.

So, Drone was sent to DJI Support for fixing, came back with no modifications what so ever.. tomorrow i'm going to print sharpness charts on A3 paper and do a multiple testing to have definite proof for DJI Ingineers that the camera is faulty, because apparently they "could not see the issue"...

I lost 2 weeks and a shipment fee... (which BTW is absurd and should be taken care of by DJI...)
2019-2-17
Use props
Hikarinoko
lvl.1
France

Here is the video link to the issue on YouTube... (watch in best quality)
/watch?v=_u8t9BDq13g
2019-2-17
Use props
*DM*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 507087 ft
United Kingdom

EnricoBrun Posted at 2-15 08:59
That is entirely common. Even many very expensive (Leica/Zeiss) lenses exhibit that.

This is a ten dollar camera module and to expect it would be on par with even a reasonable micro 4/3rd lens would be optimistic.

As is, it imho produces fine images considering the cost/size compromises that had to be made.

Thats not to say that a few may not be faulty.

2019-2-18
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

Hikarinoko Posted at 2-17 15:59
I'm uploading a video to YouTube showing the issue, it's obvious that the camera has an issue.

I took, in the end, crops of bottom left and bottom right corners, and even if sharpness on edges are never as good as in center on a "standard" camera, i'm sorry, but the difference i definitly not that much.
Unfortunately you will be back the same as you sent it! All the pictures here I saw posted on Mavic2 have the corners out of focus on the center!
B65472FD-1D83-4D99-A153-718CEA923194.jpeg
2019-2-18
Use props
Hikarinoko
lvl.1
France

Have you watched the video ? How do you explain that left corner is sharp and you can see details and right corner is not ? it is not a FOCUS issue, it is a DEFAULT on my case.
Tonight, i'll do so photos with sharpness charts and we will see.
2019-2-19
Use props
Hikarinoko
lvl.1
France

There you go, initial setup, put a sharpness chart on a tripod, and put Mavic 2 Pro on tripod aswell

Crop into chart

Moved tripod head to get Chart on left side

Crop on Chart, notice that indeed, as it happens in every camera in photography, some sharpness is lost on corners, however, it's just less details, not blur.

Now, let's move Chart on right corner

Scale up on Chart, now you see, blur is everywhere, in text, in circles, in lines, in circle you see it's not up to the point where you loose detail, you just notice blur. However, on curve lines, they go up to a bending point because of blur.

Hope this makes it obvious now.
2019-2-19
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

Hikarinoko Posted at 2-17 16:00
Here is the video link to the issue on YouTube... (watch in best quality)
/watch?v=_u8t9BDq13g

The link to the video is not there! you can not see!
2019-2-19
Use props
El Diabolico
lvl.4

Germany

Hikarinoko Posted at 2-19 14:32
There you go, initial setup, put a sharpness chart on a tripod, and put Mavic 2 Pro on tripod aswell
[view_image]

Return the drone for a replacement.
2019-2-20
Use props
Hikarinoko
lvl.1
France

EnricoBrun Posted at 2-19 17:53
The link to the video is not there! you can not see!

You can not put direct links on the forum, you have to type the URL of the famous google video platform and then paste the "/?watch..... at the end of it.

Regards,
2019-2-20
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

Hikarinoko Posted at 2-20 10:10
You can not put direct links on the forum, you have to type the URL of the famous google video platform and then paste the "/?watch..... at the end of it.

Regards,

I'm sorry but there is no video with this your url address! put the you tube link directly!
2019-2-20
Use props
Hikarinoko
lvl.1
France

EnricoBrun Posted at 2-20 12:46
I'm sorry but there is no video with this your url address! put the you tube link directly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u8t9BDq13g
2019-2-24
Use props
AlphaFlightNW
lvl.4
Flight distance : 784265 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hello,

just popping in with possibly a silly question. Would it be possible to make a lut to resolve some of this? I am looking at a MP2 but want to know this before getting one.
2019-2-24
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

Hikarinoko Posted at 2-24 15:50
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u8t9BDq13g

I'm sorry your content does not exist, maybe in my country! anyway you can put your video here!
2019-2-24
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1478842 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Purchased the Mavic 2 pro 2 days ago and now just exchanged for the 3rd time. Here’s hoping 3 times the charm.

The first one had the left 3rd of photos out of focus. The second one had for both photos and video the right 3rd out of focus. Both were manufactured in November 2018. I explicitly asked this time round to replace it with a Mavic that wasn’t manufactured in November last year, so my third one was manufactured in Oct 2018. Just doing the updates on it now, then off to test. Really hope this one is ok!
2019-2-26
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

jdmagoo Posted at 2-26 16:23
Purchased the Mavic 2 pro 2 days ago and now just exchanged for the 3rd time. Here’s hoping 3 times the charm.

The first one had the left 3rd of photos out of focus. The second one had for both photos and video the right 3rd out of focus. Both were manufactured in November 2018. I explicitly asked this time round to replace it with a Mavic that wasn’t manufactured in November last year, so my third one was manufactured in Oct 2018. Just doing the updates on it now, then off to test. Really hope this one is ok!

do not have any photos to show us? .. I think you will have to spend all your life changing mavic 2, if you talk about angles less in focus than the center, they are all like that!
2019-2-26
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

EnricoBrun Posted at 2-26 16:33
do not have any photos to show us? .. I think you will have to spend all your life changing mavic 2, if you talk about angles less in focus than the center, they are all like that!

I do, but its all good now. There does exist Mavic 2 Pros with sharp photos and video, but they are some what like unicorns. When you find one dont let go!!
Just put 2 batteries through my 3rd replacement, Im ecstatic to say this one is a good one! Photos and Video are in focus across the entire frame and across all F-Stops. However, the image does become soft around F10 -F11 but that's to be expected. At those F-Stops it's soft across the entire image as opposed to before where it was incredibly soft on one side.

Im really happy with this aircraft. Massive upgrade over my previous Mavic Pro and a good companion to my inspire 2. Keen to get out and test the low light performance
2019-2-26
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

jdmagoo Posted at 2-26 19:01
I do, but its all good now. There does exist Mavic 2 Pros with sharp photos and video, but they are some what like unicorns. When you find one dont let go!!
Just put 2 batteries through my 3rd replacement, Im ecstatic to say this one is a good one! Photos and Video are in focus across the entire frame and across all F-Stops. However, the image does become soft around F10 -F11 but that's to be expected. At those F-Stops it's soft across the entire image as opposed to before where it was incredibly soft on one side.

Every corner and more blurred look at the image center! Can you show us the problem of your previous mavic?
2019-2-27
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

EnricoBrun Posted at 2-27 08:57
Every corner and more blurred look at the image center! Can you show us the problem of your previous mavic?

I can but really they are no different to the ones displayed here that are soft or out of focus on one side. The new Mavic is in focus across the entire photo.
2019-2-27
Use props
The Roach
lvl.3
Flight distance : 412835 ft
  • >>>
United States

scarfasss Posted at 2-10 12:47
Hey guys! I have the same issue too. Bought the M2P 3-4 days ago and I'm noticing an out of focus zone on the down right corner. Has anyone replaced their m2p for this issue and got a 100% good one? Because it kind of sucks to spend almost $2000 and send it to warranty for a refurbished one from the begining. I attached my photos below and also a photo of my camera wich seems to be off-centered, just like some of yours are. Let me know what should I do.
Image links:
https://ibb.co/JqJQtKg

Out of the box I would do a refund and new purchase. I agree, a new drone replaced with a refurb isn't good.
2019-2-28
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

jdmagoo Posted at 2-27 23:31
I can but really they are no different to the ones displayed here that are soft or out of focus on one side. The new Mavic is in focus across the entire photo.

Show us! you will be the first with all the corners in perfect focus!
2019-2-28
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

I think i have a perfect unit. Or not?

2019-2-28
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

They are like mine, if you look at the corners are not as clear as the central areas of the photo! But here there are users who say they have the same sharpness both in the center and in the corners! They will have a 400mp hasselblad, lucky them
DBEB61B2-A039-432A-9E7D-42F4CE4079B7.jpeg
59BC7E99-6C40-4135-985B-A275E3B298A6.jpeg
34135975-D077-436D-A5FC-02C7B2CCCF89.jpeg
2019-2-28
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Its very difficult to tell with these photos, really need the DNG files to determine. The forum compresses the images a lot. It does appear that you have some softness on the right side, but this could be the aperture selected or just the compression issues in this forum
2019-2-28
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

EnricoBrun Posted at 2-28 17:12
They are like mine, if you look at the corners are not as clear as the central areas of the photo! But here there are users who say they have the same sharpness both in the center and in the corners! They will have a 400mp hasselblad, lucky them

Again very difficult to determine without the DNG files, yours does look pretty sharp across the image, it certainly doesn't display the issues that myself or others have displayed on this forum. Again, difficult to tell without the DNG.

If you want me to check other photos please provide a link to the DNG and I will happily provide feedback for you.
2019-2-28
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

EnricoBrun Posted at 2-28 15:42
Show us! you will be the first with all the corners in perfect focus!

Im very happy with this lens compared to my previous two. Even when zoomed right in, Im not seeing any discernable difference in the edges or corners on my 5k monitor when viewing the DNG file. Unfortuanately the JPG here doesnt look that great due to forum compression
2019-2-28
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Brazil

EnricoBrun Posted at 2-28 17:12

Actually, it doesn t bother me. Sincerely i have to pay too much attention to notice that softness in the frame corner.  No costumers care about the frame corner.
2019-3-1
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

Francis Posted at 3-1 11:39
Actually, it doesn t bother me. Sincerely i have to pay too much attention to notice that softness in the frame corner.  No costumers care about the frame corner.

instead if you read the first post users put the corners of their photos compared to the center highlighting that they are less sharp! all are like that !!
2019-3-1
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Brazil

As i said actually i have difficult to figure out this issue, because i spent my life dealing with it using wide angle lens, more or less in each particular case. Landscape shots use to show more softness. So i don t know exactly what kind of softness level is a problem for most in this topic.

The photo below was took with a Mavic 2 Zomm. i can notice same softness on house windows in the right frame corner. Am i right or it is different than Mavic 2 pro softness issue?

2019-3-2
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Brazil

I will test gopro 6 camera with protune activated and Canon 5d with 28mm 1.8 lens in its optimal aperture (5.6) and soon i will post here
2019-3-2
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Francis Posted at 3-2 10:56
I will test gopro 6 camera with protune activated and Canon 5d with 28mm 1.8 lens in its optimal aperture (5.6) and soon i will post here

Very difficult to tell with just jpegs, but nearly all lenses will show softness around the edges at wide aperture. The issue in this thread is different to that and it took me 3 Mavic pros until I got a good one.

The issue DJI are having at the factory is the lense is been misaligned to the sensor, so a hardware fault, which will require replacement.
2019-3-17
Use props
jdmagoo
lvl.4
  • >>>
Australia

Francis Posted at 3-2 10:56

Very difficult to tell with just jpegs, but nearly all lenses will show softness around the edges at wide aperture. The issue in this thread is different to that and it took me 3 Mavic pros until I got a good one. The issue I experienced on all was the right or left 3rd of the photo was out of focus, not just the corners. So this is what I’m looking for in a faulty camera. The way I tested mine was I flew to the same altitude in the same spot and took multiple photos of house roofs that filled the entire frame, this gave me the nice straight lines to look for out of focus. On one of the Mavics it was so bad that I didn’t need to zoom in on post, the photo was completely unusable. The other one had a similar band of bluriness from top to bottom but on the other side of the photo, not as bad but very noticeable. My 3rd and final replacement is spot on, as you can see from the photo above.
The issue DJI are having at the factory is the lense is been misaligned to the sensor, so a hardware fault, which will require replacement.

I guess realistically, if your hunting for a problem but can’t quite tell if there is one, then you probably don’t have this issue. The ones that are effected are very noticeable.

2019-3-17
Use props
Francis
lvl.4
Brazil

jdmagoo Posted at 3-17 12:09
Very difficult to tell with just jpegs, but nearly all lenses will show softness around the edges at wide aperture. The issue in this thread is different to that and it took me 3 Mavic pros until I got a good one. The issue I experienced on all was the right or left 3rd of the photo was out of focus, not just the corners. So this is what I’m looking for in a faulty camera. The way I tested mine was I flew to the same altitude in the same spot and took multiple photos of house roofs that filled the entire frame, this gave me the nice straight lines to look for out of focus. On one of the Mavics it was so bad that I didn’t need to zoom in on post, the photo was completely unusable. The other one had a similar band of bluriness from top to bottom but on the other side of the photo, not as bad but very noticeable. My 3rd and final replacement is spot on, as you can see from the photo above.

I have posted some photos and  people here tell me that i have this issue. Now i m trying to discover if it is a common behavior of poor quality cameras or not.  
2019-3-18
Use props
djiuser_guIzvenSt3HX
New
Australia

Similar problem for me on the left hand upper and mid corner. Is it worth sending the drone back to support?
2019-4-11
Use props
EnricoBrun
lvl.4
Italy

djiuser_guIzvenSt3HX Posted at 4-11 21:54
Similar problem for me on the left hand upper and mid corner. Is it worth sending the drone back to support?

Can we see them?
2019-4-12
Use props
Hikarinoko
lvl.1
France

Hello again everyone,
after quite some time away, i finally had a chance to send the drone back for a second RMA at DJI (NL office for my part).
This time, i sent it with prints of pictures i had taken in my studio using sharpness charts (see above posts). So i basically sent some photos depicting the soft corners issue (for my case on the right side).

Even with this, the techs did had a hard time finding the issue, and could not really see it, i'm pretty sure that can be understood since the hardware faults at such small camera levels probably require some very fancy tools, microscopes...etc and i believe that these parts are not human assembled anyway, except for end modules (the all gimbal itself).

Anyway, they asked for couple more informations on my side, and i insisted there was an issue, i even sent the DNG files to them (i'm unsure they used them... ?) and even without identifying the issue, they agreed for a module replacement. I'm pretty sure i received an overall full new drone, since it came back with new stickers on it, not linked to my remote, and first time activations poped on DJI Go.)

The issue definitly seems fixed, i only had a really brief time testing it out, but i'll make sure to go for some flights soon and give you guys a comparaison before / after using the charts again.

So to make it quick:
-Send your drone back to DJI with picture proofs of the issue
-Be aware when they reach out and insist there is something wrong
-Ask for replacement of gimbal and argue this is the only thing that resolved issues of such case (point this topic in your discussion)
-Be patient and kind
2019-5-21
Use props
Yamanote
lvl.2
Flight distance : 475026 ft
Austria

Glad you insisted on the problem and got rid of it.
I purchased my Mavic 2 Pro 2 weeks ago and after 1st flight discovered the resolution falloff at home quite sadly.

Yesterday got a replacement unit by Amazon, which now is very decent in the before very soft to out of focus areas on the left side.
2019-5-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules