Drone air speeds while recording
1517 4 2014-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
markkinley
lvl.4

United States

Hello Fellow Fliers,

Can someone tell me where to find the descent speed and actual  speed used in flight for slow, medium, &  fast.
Ex: Full HD 1080p / 30/25 fps and 720p / 60 fps slow motion.

Im trying to practice the same speeds while filming at various settings in my vision app.
Primarily, I'm trying to replicate the liftoff to the descent speed to film some trees while rotatiing around it/them.

As always ... Thanks in advance!

2014-11-5
Use props
jim269
lvl.1

United States

Not sure what you mean exactly, but I did a project this summer that involved rotating around a lighthouse for some of the shots.

It depends on a lot of things, prevailing wind being the most important. Fortunately, for this particular project, I was shooting at dawn with calm air.

I believe what you are talking about is referred to as a "pedal turn" in flying real helicopters. It actually takes a lot of practice to do it with a drone because you have crossed controls all at once (right stick/right to move to the right, left stick/left to keep the subject centered and a touch of back stick to keep the radius of the turn smooth). Being that there is no mechanical connection between you and the drone (like in a real helicopter), you must fly by the screen to keep your distance, heading and radius.

Check out this video.... it is a bit long, but you can scan thru it to see the parts that rotate around the lighthouse.... some are smooth, but there are a few that were affected by a very slight wind gust.

Hope this helps....

2014-11-5
Use props
markkinley
lvl.4

United States

jim269  -

I  enjoyed the footage and have taken a few pointers for myself. I will practice with it in full sight and do a few walk arounds with it  first to get a visual on the distance from  object  before I move forward.

Great advice and Thanks
2014-11-5
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

If smooth camera shots is what you're after, it's basically about moving the sticks as slowly and as little as possible, and flying as slowly as you can in getting the shot you want.

4 or 5 m/s is okay ascending, but coming down try to hold it to 1 m/s.  

Not sure that's what you meant, but that is what I try to keep in mind while flying.
2014-11-5
Use props
markkinley
lvl.4

United States

away-point -
I am getting the hang of things now... i have to use my thumb as a boundary/limit point when turning and rotating... thanks for the advice and I'm using it!
2014-11-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules