Panorama modes don't respect starting gimbal position
517 3 2018-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

This used to work on Spark and Phantom, but seems like it doesn't work the same on Air.

On Spark/Phantom, i used to be able to set a starting vertical angle for a panorama by just adjusting the gimbal pitch, then starting the panorama.
E.g. with the gimbal facing all the way down (-90 deg), the panorama would end up facing *down* and the drone would do the required yawing and pitching to do it.

On Air, it will always start from pitch 0, whatever you do with the gimbal beforehand.
It always resets. That's fairly useless in a lot of situations.

Additionally, 9 photo pano is pretty weird in that it always defaults to centering on slightly negative pitch, then tries to compensate for horizon not being in the middle by compressing the bottom half more, resulting in a very ugly looking stitch. And before someone says "just stitch it yourself", that's not the point - the issue is that the middle row of photos isn't centered on the horizon by default, and, unlike with older drones, i have no control over it by changing the starting gimbal pitch.

Why are pano modes so messed up on Air in general?
It's almost like they were an afterthought.
2018-9-9
Use props
bjashton
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245932 ft
United Kingdom

This also appears to be an issue on the Mavic Pro and has made the 9 photo pano effectively useless from my perspective. It's very frustrating as I want to use it to provide a wider field of view from the current camera position.

Personally I think this is a bug as I don't think it used to be this way. Can someone from DJI confirm the expected behaviour?
2018-9-11
Use props
saviour
Second Officer
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

Waiting for a DJI member to ask you to refresh firmware and reinstall the app. sorry but I couldn't resist.
2018-9-11
Use props
0rcinus
lvl.3
  • >>>
Croatia

Yeah, and "have you reformatted the SD card" and "please try resetting the camera settings".

Likely a bug, but whether it's a bug or a conscious decision, it makes the 3x3 pano mode useless.
2018-9-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules