Compass error/crash into water
806 1 2018-9-9
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans316c34a8
lvl.1
France

Hello everybody

I'm very new to here so please apologize if I'm not posting in the right section of the forum.

I just got my brand new Spark (Fly More combo - it's a birthday present) and I'm more than happy with it. This is a wonderful little machine, the only downside is that it just made all my other drones super obsolete :/ I took care of buying the Dji Care Refresh along and activate it before the 48h delay.

My enjoyment was a short time one thought.

Today I brought the drone along with the little family for a walk along the lake shores and we started shooting a few pics, and I was quite excited (and afraid) to go for my very second "dronie". After all the usual pre-flight checks, double check on RTH especially, GPS satellites etc.. take off, and select the dronie mode, the Spark does his job and starts flying away on a reverse motion, and I notice that it's slowly drifting away a bit to our left. Then he comes back, I was a bit sweating, and lands nicely on its RTH, no problem (except for a video that seems to be quite short, about 15 seconds at most).

Not worried so much, I decide to start an active tracking while targetting my 7 years son, taking great care of keeping the drone quite far from the lake shore. The shoot seems to be going well, but after a few seconds, the Sparks starts turning over quite an erratic way over my son, and in a pinch hits a few branches, straight to the lake, flies for 10 seconds into some bordering tree before miserably crashing into the water. I achieve to retrieve it very quickly under about a feet under the water, and despitely put it back into its wallet. Here goes my 50's birthday present

This evening, heavily demoralized by this accident, I decide to power it up and miracle!!.. it boots, it connects to the remote/phone, but saying take off is impossible due to compass disconnected. All the rest, camera, gimball etc.. seem to be in good working condition. I won't be trying any further, I know that water damaged electronics is doomed to fail anyway one day or another.

So here's my question:

Should I directly ask for a replacement according to the terms of Dji Care Refresh, or is it possible to humbly ask for an inquiry prior to that about the compass problem concerns that "could" have made the drone act erratic just before the crash ? In such case would that fall into a warranty procedure ?

I achieved to retrieve the videos from the SD card where we can witness the bizarre dronie behaviour prior to that, and the video of the crash (with a nice view of some underwater creature that I prefer not knowing the name at that point) and this is fully at Dji's disposal if need be.

I have access to the full blackbox via DJ Assistant and will upload it anytime if needed as well.

Would anyone from Dji around here kindly let me know what should I do now in order to either get this one replaced under warranty if applicable, or rather make the Dji Care Refresh program to apply ? What is my best option here ?
Of course I'm not saying that the compass was faulty, I may have made a terrible mistake not having enough reflex to hit the pause button before it sticks itself into the branches, but it's never easy when your focus is your child before everything else (I made my best to preserve my son to get hit by the drone at all cost).

Well sorry for the long post, hoping my english is good enough to be fairly understood.
Again kudos to your company for making such excellent little machines, the Spark was my first, next will be the mavic..; talk about being addicted!

Best Regards
Request Number = 1347812 (Europe/France - sent earlier today)
2018-9-9
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Sorry for the inconvenience. Unfortunately, you have to send the unit to our repair facility for further evaluation. You'll be receiving a quotation which you can be able to determine if the issue was caused by malfunction or pilot user once the investigation is done. You can still use your DJI Care refresh in any case that the scenario would be a pilot user for you to have a replacement drone. I would recommend syncing your flight records using the DJI GO 4 app. Please see the link below for you to create a case here in DJI.

https://repair.dji.com/repair/index
2018-9-9
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules