11997 24 2018-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1963583 ft
  • >>>
United States

Would any one else like to see different video bitrate options on the Mavic 2 Pro?
Single SelectVote, Total 62 people participate in voting
77.42% (48)
22.58% (14)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2018-9-10
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

For which purpose, kindly explain?
2018-9-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

happy with 100... (edit)
2018-9-10
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-10 11:12
We have 8 and we have 10, what else are you looking for ?

My understanding it the 8 and 10 bit is color profile, not bitrate.  Bitrate is the data transfer speed.  The Mavic Pro has a max of 60mbps and the Mavic 2 is 100mbps.  I would like to see something along the lines of  60,75 &100mbps.  You only need the higher bitrate when the footage include faster movements.   
2018-9-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

DemolitionMan14 Posted at 2018-9-10 11:37
My understanding it the 8 and 10 bit is color profile, not bitrate.  Bitrate is the data transfer speed.  The Mavic Pro has a max of 60mbps and the Mavic 2 is 100mbps.  I would like to see something along the lines of  60,75 &100mbps.  You only need the higher bitrate when the footage include faster movements.

Sorry I read post back to front, my bad. No I’m happy with 100 mbps,
2018-9-10
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2018-9-10 11:41
Sorry I read post back to front, my bad. No I’m happy with 100 mbps,

The only problem I have with it is the massive file sizes.  I would probably use 60 to 75 if i had those potions   
2018-9-10
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

My understanding it the 8 and 10 bit is color profile, not bitrate.  Bitrate is the data transfer speed.  The Mavic Pro has a max of 60mbps and the Mavic 2 is 100mbps.  I would like to see something along the lines of  60,75 &100mbps.  You only need the higher bitrate when the footage include faster movements.

I would like to renew my question. Which benefits do you expect from an option for lower read/write speed? Being able to use slower SD cards?
And no, in my understanding it is not for faster movements but for being able to record the high resolution image data amount fast enough. It is similar to your computer Harddisk or SSD drive. If you can have higher read and write speeds, you certainly do not want to lower them.
2018-9-10
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

DemolitionMan14 Posted at 2018-9-10 11:46
The only problem I have with it is the massive file sizes.  I would probably use 60 to 75 if i had those potions

If you want to reduce filesize you have the option to record in 2.7K which for most purposes is almost as good as 4K. On Youtube for example you cannot see a difference.
But if you want the full dose of 4K footage in Dlog with the maximum of image information stored, you need a higher data transfer rate to record the footage smoothly on your SD card.
2018-9-10
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bitrate is not the transfer speed to the SD card.  I misspoke it is not transfer, processing speed. Higher bitrate less artifacting.  Simply put a file with a bitrate of 100mbps is twice the size of a 50mbps file.  Youtube encodes at 44-56mbps for 24 & 30fps 4k videos and 66-85mbps for 60fps 4k videos.  Like I said previously Iwould like a 60-75mbps option as majority of my footage is going to Youtube.  And for the record i only use Sandisk Extreme Pro cards.
2018-9-10
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

My understanding it the 8 and 10 bit is color profile, not bitrate.  Bitrate is the data transfer speed.  The Mavic Pro has a max of 60mbps and the Mavic 2 is 100mbps.  I would like to see something along the lines of  60,75 &100mbps.  You only need the higher bitrate when the footage include faster movements.

It still may happen, if it’s something you feel you would like or need then hopefully your thread will get the point across.
Good luck.
2018-9-10
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain

DemolitionMan14 Posted at 2018-9-10 12:17
Bitrate is not the transfer speed to the SD card.  I misspoke it is not transfer, processing speed. Higher bitrate less artifacting.  Simply put a file with a bitrate of 100mbps is twice the size of a 50mbps file.  Youtube encodes at 44-56mbps for 24 & 30fps 4k videos and 66-85mbps for 60fps 4k videos.  Like I said previously Iwould like a 60-75mbps option as majority of my footage is going to Youtube.  And for the record i only use Sandisk Extreme Pro cards.

I fear there is a misunderstanding here. The video bitrate comes into play when rendering. And there I doubt that you can normally get anything higher than 50 Mbit/sec in H.264 and 37 Mbit/sec in H.265.
2018-9-10
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for creating this poll. HLG and DLOG-M is the only one that uses 10 bit. The rest is 8 bit. Thank you for the support.
2018-9-11
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-9-11 10:35
Hi, Thanks for creating this poll. HLG and DLOG-M is the only one that uses 10 bit. The rest is 8 bit. Thank you for the support.

This post was not about 8 bit and 10 bit.  It was about bitrate options other than 100mbps!
2018-9-11
Use props
Streetmagus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1398376 ft

Bitrate has nothing to do with faster movements
2018-9-11
Use props
DJKOR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2035676 ft
Australia

Bitrate isn't about movements though it can have some effect if you had a lower bitrate with fast moving video. It's about the level of compression in your video. It's just the varying compression levels in JPEG images. If you want a smaller filesize, you use more compression, but then you will lose some quality.
2018-9-11
Use props
Bartiflier
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Streetmagus Posted at 2018-9-11 23:05
Bitrate has nothing to do with faster movements

Not entirely accurate. Watch something like a waterfall (or fast moving aerial video, but waterfalls have always been obvious problems on TV)  at a low bitrate and you'll see lots of artifacts and blockiness as it is not possible to change every single pixel on the screen in every frame and show it clearly in the available bitrate used, so it approximates it badly and you see squares.

Things that don't change much, such as a talking head on TV needs only enough data per frame to show the face changing; the background can be copied from previous frames. TV channels actually change the amount of digital data being transmitted depending on the type of show being shown; a chatshow = low bitrate, action movie= higher bitrate.

An alternative to blockiness is blurring on fast motion, where, depending on aperture and shutter settings, instead of trying to show each frame clearly - and failing - it actually takes less data to compress a blurred image, so the data per frame can remain within the bitrate allowed without being too noticeable.

tl;dr: if each frame was an uncompressed photo, everything would always be clear all the time (if the shutter/aperture is set to do that). But, as bitrate lowers, something has to give and that applies to faster movements, when more changes per frame more quickly.

So bitrate is very much related to movement. If you're moving slowly, you can have a low average bitrate, where there will be the initial 'start frame' then a slow trickle of changes over the next frames, then another 'spike' for the next whole frame.

This was a problem on previous aircraft with the 'trickle' not being large enough and it was possible to see 'breathing' in the image every half second or so even when hovering, if videoing a detailed image, like a treescape as the image reset itself, then gradually got worse, then reset again.
2018-9-12
Use props
DemolitionMan14
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Bartiflier Posted at 2018-9-12 00:58
Not entirely accurate. Watch something like a waterfall (or fast moving aerial video, but waterfalls have always been obvious problems on TV)  at a low bitrate and you'll see lots of artifacts and blockiness as it is not possible to change every single pixel on the screen in every frame and show it clearly in the available bitrate used, so it approximates it badly and you see squares.

Things that don't change much, such as a talking head on TV needs only enough data per frame to show the face changing; the background can be copied from previous frames. TV channels actually change the amount of digital data being transmitted depending on the type of show being shown; a chatshow = low bitrate, action movie= higher bitrate.

Excellent explanation.  You just conveyed exactly what I talking about but wasn't able to proper describe.
2018-9-12
Use props
geoffz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>

DemolitionMan14 Posted at 2018-9-11 15:58
This post was not about 8 bit and 10 bit.  It was about bitrate options other than 100mbps!

I've notice lately that the level of DJI expertise on this board is at an all time low!

For me that includes phone support, where I've encountered utter incompetence.

When I purchased my original MP 2 years ago...that was not the case.
2018-9-26
Use props
djiuser_ascbDnraMrD7
lvl.1

can not import the current d-log 4k file into iPad Pro to edit in LumaFusion.  Need a lower bitrate for iPad Pro workflow.
2018-9-30
Use props
CompleteNewbie
lvl.1

United States

For what it's worth; a few weeks late:

I'd love to see a higher video bit rate. Something at least 200Mb/s.

I'm used to shooting video in at least 400 Mb/s on a Panasonic GH-5. If I use another purpose-built video camera, the bit rate goes up from there, and you need c-fast cards or an external recorder with an SSD.

Of course you need a computer that can handle this in post, and yes, the file sizes are huge... think 3-4 seconds of video and you've easily used up a full Gigabyte of storage.

So far my first "wish" for DJI prosumer drones is that they accepted full size SD cards.. (not those dumb micro SD cards).

There are too few options for micro SD cards that have the speed rating (like V30 or higher) that will work with DJI)

I typically use SD cards from Angelbird, because they're fast and reliable. But they don't have micro SD cards.

I think that once you get into "professional" videography, you won't find people using micro SD.

And by professional, I don't mean some random guy on YouTube that got a drone and took cool sunset videos, or someone who took a GoPro out on his ski trip and got 'cool footage'. (I'm not knocking anyone; I have a DJI Mavic 2 and I'm loving the heck out of it. But when I do happen to get great footage I want to turn into an end product, I do wish I had a much higher bit rate, 10 bit 422, the whole shebang.

I'm sure it will not be too long before those specs are standard for consumer devices!)

Anyways, long rambling post winding down now, I'd love to see how much data we can get off the sensor and into an SD card.  A FULL SIZE sd card. They're not that much bigger or heavier, so I don't wanna hear an excuse about them weighing down the drone and losing 0.05 seconds of flight time.

Safe flying
2018-10-1
Use props
djiuser_QMZ3gpRChziv
New

India

Awesome, I've been waiting for a test with focus charts, etc - every time I saw my own board covered in these I'd "I'll do that tomorrow".

Something I've wondered though, is whether using focus charts would be relatively undemanding in terms of the bitrate, whereas a tree or rock face presents a lot of information that the codec must toss in order to fit within the bitrate.
2018-10-22
Use props
mrbill
lvl.4
Flight distance : 717100 ft
United Kingdom

CompleteNewbie Posted at 2018-10-1 08:02
For what it's worth; a few weeks late:

I'd love to see a higher video bit rate. Something at least 200Mb/s.

A ten bit  150Mbs bit rate would do me - that’s the minimum 4k bitrate for the BBC and matches my GH5.That would make me very happy
2019-3-16
Use props
Francis
Second Officer
Flight distance : 774203 ft
Brazil

100 mbs is good
2019-3-16
Use props
kyalami
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17352513 ft
Sweden

I ticked yes and reason is that when I have compared 4K video with 50Mbps and 100mbps on my 4KTV it is very hard to see any difference.Also if I use 50Mbps I get to shote more video on my 32Gb card.
2020-12-4
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Cant really see why variable would help much.
The current 100mbps is absolutely bare minimum thats acceptable for 10bit h265.  Id like it increased to 166mbps or similar to reduce video compression issues.
2020-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules