Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Gimbal Guard is the worst invention
932 20 2018-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Grtday
lvl.2

The Gimbal Guard/camera protector is an abomination!
Certainly an afterthought and poorly designed.  I had to watch a video just to figure out HOW to reinstall it.
PLEASE...someone or DJI, come up with a decent aftermarket Gimbal Guard!
Thanks to all!
Fly cheerfully!
2018-9-10
Use props
jimmylee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 367352 ft
  • >>>

I saw the trouble some were having before I got my Mavic 2.  

So when I got it I looked very close how it was installed before taking off.

Its easy after the first time and I think it's designed and holds the camera very well.
2018-9-10
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

Except it scratches the camera. Not a huge deal, but still disappointing for a person who keeps their equipment as pristine as possible.
614FFDE7-7329-40C8-A3B3-8F1442EE179C.jpeg
2018-9-10
Use props
dv8ed
lvl.4
Flight distance : 360322 ft
  • >>>
United States

yes mine is starting to mar camera as well
2018-9-10
Use props
Grtday
lvl.2
United States

FlySD Posted at 2018-9-10 18:11
Except it scratches the camera. Not a huge deal, but still disappointing for a person who keeps their equipment as pristine as possible.

Me too!  Certainly an opportunity for an aftermarket invention.  
2018-9-11
Use props
jimmylee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 367352 ft
  • >>>

I'm sure there will be some 3D guards coming soon on Thingiverse to print.

Rumor has it I'm working on one.  LOL
2018-9-11
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158734 ft
Germany

foam tape to the rescue!
2018-9-11
Use props
Buzzyone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4647913 ft
  • >>>

Get hold of some automotive 'quiet tape' sometimes sold as anti rattle tape or anti squeak tape, its a sticky backed felt tape, thin and easily cut to shape.

This is my solution for Pro and Zoom. the tape keeps the camera body clear of the plastic mount without putting load on the rubber suspension. on the zoom putting the tape on the sides holds the barrel away from the top of the mount and positions it so the sides do not contact the arms of the gimbal.  

IMG_7475.jpg
2018-9-11
Use props
Kingram
lvl.4
Flight distance : 84085 ft
United States

Great idea.
2018-9-11
Use props
Todd Harper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 180669 ft
United States

While it was troublesome at first to get it lined up, now after having done it several times, I can take it off and put it back on with ease.
The scratching is an issue. I placed a small square piece of thin,clear packing tape on top of the camera and so far so good. No issues.  
2018-9-11
Use props
Weapon Analyst
lvl.2
Flight distance : 530614 ft
United States

FlySD Posted at 2018-9-10 18:11

That may not be the actual gimbal guard scratching the camera.  You should probably check to see if there is any dirt, sand or grit before installing.  Plastic, being the softer material should not inherently scratch the harder material.   
2018-9-11
Use props
Weapon Analyst
lvl.2
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-9-11 07:04
Get hold of some automotive 'quiet tape' sometimes sold as anti rattle tape or anti squeak tape, its a sticky backed felt tape, thin and easily cut to shape.

[view_image]

Smart and simple
2018-9-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for reaching out and we're very sorry for the Inconvenience that you have faced. If still having an issue with it feel free to reach us back again.
2018-9-11
Use props
FlySD
lvl.4
United States

Weapon Analyst Posted at 2018-9-11 07:29
That may not be the actual gimbal guard scratching the camera.  You should probably check to see if there is any dirt, sand or grit before installing.  Plastic, being the softer material should not inherently scratch the harder material.

It was the gimbal guard; the scratches appeared, the second time I took it off, no sand, no dirt. Will definitely, be picking up some foam tape, unfortunately the damage is done.
2018-9-11
Use props
fans589cba4b
lvl.4
Flight distance : 12780633 ft
  • >>>
United States

yeah it is pretty terrible.
2018-9-11
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Weapon Analyst Posted at 2018-9-11 07:29

Not necessarily...

I believe the gimbal housing is metalic, and painted in a powder-coated paint finish, so plastic can definitely begin to rub that off with sufficient friction over time of removing and re-installing the guard...

Just look at aluminium iPhone bodies stuck into hard plastic shells, their paint / finish is ruined after a short period of time...
2018-9-11
Use props
Weapon Analyst
lvl.2
United States

FlySD Posted at 2018-9-11 08:06
It was the gimbal guard; the scratches appeared, the second time I took it off, no sand, no dirt. Will definitely, be picking up some foam tape, unfortunately the damage is done.

Wow, sorry to hear that.  I guess they put less importance on the gimbal guard manufacturing process than they should.  Perhaps there is some level of variance from one lot to another.  
2018-9-11
Use props
Weapon Analyst
lvl.2
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-11 08:55
Not necessarily...

I believe the gimbal housing is metalic, and painted in a powder-coated paint finish, so plastic can definitely begin to rub that off with sufficient friction over time of removing and re-installing the guard...

Good point, I have seen it on other people's phones most certainly.  However, on my own phones I have never.  Handguns get scratched from holsters due to contaminants inside the holster.  If the holster is kept free of debris they hardly ever get scratched.  Unless the holster is garbage.  
2018-9-11
Use props
Grtday
lvl.2
United States

Buzzyone Posted at 2018-9-11 07:04

[view_image]

Spectaclar!  I'm on it!  Big thanks!
2018-9-11
Use props
fansbaa186d5
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3655085 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ah to have first world problems to complain about on a luxury item.
2018-9-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

It is a bit tricky, but I’ve found a way that works, once you get the knack it should become second nature.
2018-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules