Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Mavic 2 Pro SD card not readable on MAC?
15263 28 2018-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pjollain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106093 ft
France

I have installed a 64 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SDHC card in my M2P, and formatted it in the drone through the DJI Go 4 app. But when I plugged the card into my MacBook (through a card reader), I got this message:
disk_not_readable.png
If I connect the same card, with the same card reader, to the Windows 10 virtual machine running on this MacBook, I can access the content of the card, which appears to be an exFAT volume, supposedly compatible with both MacOS and Windows.

Is someone able to read the M2P SD Card from a MAC?

2018-9-10
Use props
EMBE
lvl.4
Flight distance : 320118 ft
  • >>>
Germany

No problem to read it on several Macs.
2018-9-10
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

Did you happen to remove it from your computer without ejecting it? Or maybe remove from drone while still turned on? I had that exact message on my iMac once and I blamed myself for not clicking on 'eject disc'. I have no idea if that actually was the cause though. Luckily for me I didn't care about the existing data and just reformatted
2018-9-10
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
France

I got this message the first time I plugged the card in the MacBook, after having formatted it in the M2P.
I will try to perform a low level formatting on a computer, then format it again in the drone, and see if it solves the issue.
2018-9-10
Use props
TrevorSK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1547713 ft
Canada

pjollain Posted at 2018-9-10 21:51
I got this message the first time I plugged the card in the MacBook, after having formatted it in the M2P.
I will try to perform a low level formatting on a computer, then format it again in the drone, and see if it solves the issue.

Please let us know if you can resolve. I'm curious, because out of all micro SD brands, the Sandisks have a good reputation. Especially when Sandisk comes so highly recommended by DJI.
2018-9-10
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-10
Use props
DJI Paladin
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Our apologies for the inconvenience. Can you back up your files and reformat the SD card and try it again? You can also try a different USB slot and see if that can help. Please let us know if the issue is still the same, thanks for your support.
2018-9-11
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
France

I formatted the SD card from Windows 10, unticking the "quick format" option, in order to have a low level formatting of the card. It took around one hour and a half (note to myself: buy a USB 3 card reader). At that point, the card was readable from the MAC, even if it was obviously empty.I put the card in the drone, formatted it from the app (very quick, so no low level format), and took a few pictures and a video. I was then able to read the card from my MAC, and downloaded the pictures, but the video could not be downloaded, as it was corrupted... So I put again the card in the drone, formatted it again, and took some pictures and a video. This time, I was able to download everything without a problem.
On this second trial, I noticed that the red dot in the app, indicating that you are recording a video, is blinking for a few seconds more when you stop the recording. Could it be that on my first trial, I have turned off the drone too soon, causing the video file to be corrupted? I would consider this as a bug.
I now have some doubts about the reliability of my SD card, so I will check carefully how it behaves in the coming days. I am still practicing to master the M2P, so the videos I will shoot will in any case not be pieces of art... If I encounter one more problem, I will discard this SD card.
2018-9-11
Use props
SlimShady
lvl.3
Flight distance : 734738 ft
  • >>>
United States

pjollain Posted at 2018-9-11 21:38
I formatted the SD card from Windows 10, unticking the "quick format" option, in order to have a low level formatting of the card. It took around one hour and a half (note to myself: buy a USB 3 card reader). At that point, the card was readable from the MAC, even if it was obviously empty.I put the card in the drone, formatted it from the app (very quick, so no low level format), and took a few pictures and a video. I was then able to read the card from my MAC, and downloaded the pictures, but the video could not be downloaded, as it was corrupted... So I put again the card in the drone, formatted it again, and took some pictures and a video. This time, I was able to download everything without a problem.
On this second trial, I noticed that the red dot in the app, indicating that you are recording a video, is blinking for a few seconds more when you stop the recording. Could it be that on my first trial, I have turned off the drone too soon, causing the video file to be corrupted? I would consider this as a bug.
I now have some doubts about the reliability of my SD card, so I will check carefully how it behaves in the coming days. I am still practicing to master the M2P, so the videos I will shoot will in any case not be pieces of art... If I encounter one more problem, I will discard this SD card.

I formatted the card as MS-DOS and now able to view in my Mac and also M2.
2018-9-12
Use props
Cougar1
lvl.4
Flight distance : 924393 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Did you by any chance have this SD card in the drone while doing the firmware update?
When doing the fw update the drone would have restarted multiple times without the card being ejected properly, this might be why the MAC no longer reads the card.You can also try (if you have access) use a different Mac since the issue should be isolated to your specific computer.

You can fix this by installing the card in a different drone and reformat, then you should be able to read it on your Mac.
2018-9-12
Use props
DirkGerrit
lvl.4
Flight distance : 276424 ft

Same problem here, mavic air and macbookpro, tried everything, no solution...
2018-9-12
Use props
danielson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2217149 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

I had the same issue.
I formatted the SD card to ExFAT using disk utility on the Mac and then again in the DJI GO4 App. And then the Mac was able to load the pictures and movies from the SD-Card.
2018-9-12
Use props
theothernt
lvl.4
Flight distance : 436171 ft
Ireland

On macOS, can you insert the card then load Disk Utility and see if anything shows up there?
2018-9-12
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
France

Thank you all for your comments, problem is solved now, I am able to read the card from my Mac.
Why did it happen? I don't know... But the restarts during the firmware update could be an explanation.
2018-9-12
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
Luxembourg

The explanation to all my issues above was a fake Sandisk card, even if I bought it from Amazon. On my last flight, when recording a video, I got a message that the internal memory was full. At first, I thought that I was recording to the 8GB internal storage of the drone, and had filled it. But when back at home, the internal storage of the drone was empty, all the files were on the SD card, but one video file was corrupted.
I then understood that the message was about the memory buffer (where data is stored before being written to the card) that was full, meaning that the SD card was not able to store data quickly enough.

I will return this crap to Amazon, in the meantime I have bought this one from a local dealer:

So far it seems to be OK, I will test it more intensively next weekend.
2018-9-19
Use props
sinloi
lvl.3

Does your Mac have a 4K display?
2018-9-20
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
Luxembourg

sinloi Posted at 2018-9-20 02:32
Does your Mac have a 4K display?

It's a MacBook Pro 15", but I plug a 5K LG screen to it for real picture work.
2018-9-20
Use props
sinloi
lvl.3
United States

Good idea. I may need to do the same as I get geared up to do some serious work - now that I have a serious camera!
2018-9-20
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-20
Use props
fans07297c82
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2307087 ft
  • >>>

I called Apple Support. I explained that I was having no problem taking photos/videos; insert sd card in macbook pro; move files to my hard drive; delete files; put sd card in drone; everything worked fine. They asked me what changed. I can think of two things. The process I just described was with my P4 Pro. I've never had problems with sd cards with it. So, perhaps the problem is likely being caused by the mavic 2 Pro. The other possibility is I updated my ipad mini to the latest IOS version. Maybe DJIGo4 and it are out of synch in some way. At least I do have a workable process. Instead of moving files, now I have to copy and paste from sd card to hard drive. I cannot delete the files on the sd card via the Mac, but I stick the sd card back in the drone and then use the dji app to reformat the card. I have to do this every time I fly, but at least it works. BTW, I tried to reformat the card in the Macbook Pro from exfat to a Mac format, but I just got error messages. Apple Support said exfat is a microsoft product, so go talk to them. They had no solution for the problem after 30 minutes on the phone.
2018-9-30
Use props
Stradigal
lvl.1
Flight distance : 906919 ft
United Kingdom

I'm having the same issue and am able to repeat it across multiple devices, both mac and non-mac.

So on the mac, the first few times I insert it, I get the "disk not readable" dialog box. A few more tries and eventually I can see the disk on my desktop and in finder.

I look at the disk in finder and the only stuff on there is old - it is missing everything from recent flights. The content that finder sees amounts to around 6gb.

When I look at the disk using disk utility, I can see that over 20GB of my SD are used. I see the same using terminal.

I figured this was a mac thing, so took put the SD into the SD slot of my Samsung S9+. Again, the Samsung can see the old media files. It can also see that there are an additional 14GB or so of files, but doesn't list them individually.

I plug the Mavic2 into my mac and can both see and download all the new files with no trouble. I've repeated all of this with two different SD cards, on two macs and on the Samsung handset. Is the Mavic2 possibly writing files in a way that makes them "hidden" to mac and android?
2018-10-22
Use props
Markumus
New
Flight distance : 1664783 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have the same issue and the only way to transfer the footage from the sd card is to put the SD card back into my Mavic 2 Zoom and plug the Drone into my computer with the USBC cable. Oddly my SD card to Lightning reader for my iPhone also works to import the footage as well.
2019-1-12
Use props
1cmathis
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1007 ft
United States

I plug the Mavic 2 Pro directly into my iMac. Never had a problem reading SD cards and I see no reason to keep removing and reinserting the card in the Mavic, just to download what's on the card?
2019-1-12
Use props
MvZiTaGqtUk8
lvl.2
Flight distance : 333412 ft
  • >>>
United States

OK, I read this post with interest. I am flying the Mavic Pro 2. I also have a Phantom 4 Pro and Mavic Air, and with those I have never had a problem reading any SD cards on my Mac. I always use SanDisk Extreme V30 cards. Recently, I've been getting the "card not recognized" error on my 5k iMac (running 10.16.6). Funny thing is that I can take the same card and use the SD card reader on my iPad Pro and it imports photo or video files flawlessly.  I have not figured out what's going on. Help would be appreciated!
2019-7-29
Use props
fans44516674
New

DJI Paladin Posted at 2018-9-11 02:29
Our apologies for the inconvenience. Can you back up your files and reformat the SD card and try it again? You can also try a different USB slot and see if that can help. Please let us know if the issue is still the same, thanks for your support.

i got the same issue gents...i will try connecting the mavic 2 directly to macbook and see what will happen, i will also try replacing the micro sd card reader ...
2019-9-3
Use props
jmb63
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7009439 ft
  • >>>

pjollain Posted at 2018-9-19 23:30
The explanation to all my issues above was a fake Sandisk card, even if I bought it from Amazon. On my last flight, when recording a video, I got a message that the internal memory was full. At first, I thought that I was recording to the 8GB internal storage of the drone, and had filled it. But when back at home, the internal storage of the drone was empty, all the files were on the SD card, but one video file was corrupted.
I then understood that the message was about the memory buffer (where data is stored before being written to the card) that was full, meaning that the SD card was not able to store data quickly enough.

Can you give a better description or photo of the fake" SD card you got?
Did you relay this info to Amazon to help them get rid of or  address this on their end so they can get them out of customer's hands
2019-9-3
Use props
Steve S.
lvl.1
Flight distance : 19843 ft

I have the same issue here. 3 cards: Sandisk Extreme 128 (x2) and 64 (x1). All three cards formatted the same day through DJI app. After three weeks, returning from a shoot on Madeira, one of the 128 cards cannot be read on my macbook pro. Fortunately I can access and copy the files  plugging the drone via USB.

Very annoying though and not very reassuring ...

I will reformat the card and check if the problem persists.
2019-9-12
Use props
mcolinburch
New

I had the same issue with the Mavic 2 Pro we rented. I was able to plug the drone directly into my Macbook Pro via USB-C and was able to retrieve the photos and videos.

SInce it was a rental (including the card) I didn't bother with reforting the SD card as I figured it was a Windows vs Mac file system issue or something similar.
2019-10-3
Use props
WJohnston
New

United Kingdom

For anyone interested - I've been having a problem reading new SD cards in my 2015 5K iMac, when my older SD cards work fine. After searching high and low online, it appears that the problem seems to be lying in newer V30 designated cards (guaranteed sustained 30mb/s write speed) is causing problems with some devices - I first found it on Blackmagic forums, but I think this is also affecting Mac internal readers as well. All the new cards I bought which won't work reliably in my Mac internal reader work fine in an external USB 3 reader, which is a fine workaround just now, I just wish I could save the USB  port for other things and it means I need to remember my external reader when travelling with my 2012 MacBook Pro - I'll inevitably forget it one of these days. So yeah - V30 cards seem to be to blame, problem is, older non-V30 cards are getting older, rarer and a lot more expensive sadly.
2020-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules