Feedbacks from First Timer for Mavic 2 Pro
884 21 2018-9-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJ_Fan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 617405 ft

I just recevied the Mavic 2 Pro (M2P) today and I have updated the firmware of the aircraft and remote ctrl to the latest successfully.
And, I'm a first time customer.

There are several feedbacks I can provide for DJI:
  • The packaging, although, quite visually appealing (almost Apple-like), is not up to expectation when unwrapping the product. First, the external box was difficult to open. There was a small tab that says OPEN, I pulled on it and nothing happened. It came off. Then, it was downhill. I had to examine the box and determine what was the best way to open the box. Second, the removal of the thin transparent strips which were wrapped around adapters and what naught were particularly troublesome. They do not have a decent extension for the fingers to grip on and I had to make several attempts to find the right way to remove them. If Apple is the standard benchmark, then this is probably around 6 or 7 out of scale of 10.
  • Charging batteries: the UAV battery and the remote ctrl battery took a pretty short time to charge. That's a nice touch.
  • Firmware updates: This was easy and very nicely automated. Flawlessly done and required almost no intervention.
  • No hardcopy manual is not a good thing. If I were to go out into the field to do test flights and to learn how to use this UAV, it would be quite painful to force your customer to go back to your video tutorials to review and follow the steps. What if the location is remote or there is poor cell network signals?
  • The default factory setting for the camera auto-focus is not exactly working at night. I placed the M2P on my front porch with porch lights ON and flew the M2P to about 20 ft (with the camera pointing directly downwards at me) and recorded about 30 secs of video. It was all out of focus even though the landing lights came ON.
  • The propellers are much louder than I expected. It startled me when they started the first time. Cranking them up at night seem audible to my neighbors who were inside their house with doors and windows shut.
  • The user-interface of the remote ctrl and DJI Go 4 app needs getting used to. It's not very intuitive for first-timers.

I will try to do a couple of morning test flights tomorrow and record some test vids and report back.
2018-9-10
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4

Radio Signals

No matter how I adjusted the antennas of the remote ctrl, the Radio Signals consistently reported POOR and there is a warning telling me not to fly the UAV too far away.
2018-9-10
Use props
Pappy3
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2820469 ft
United States

Congrats on purchasing the M2P. I'm waiting for B&H Photo to get their allotment. Comments on
1. For those who don;t already know there are plenty of vids showing the unboxing of the Mavic 2 and Fly More kit. I always like to watch at least one or two to make sure I'm not overlooking some protective cover  I'm suppose to remove.
4. I suspect a printed manual isn't provide because one most people just take off and go and then come to the forums to complain or ask how to do something and two new features are typically introduced after printing and so these would not be included. DJI provides a download page for the  Mavic 2 at https://www.dji.com/mavic-2/info#downloads . You can then download the manual, Qick Start Guide, DJI Assistant 2, etc.
6. From the test I've seen the Mavic 2 prop noise falls between Mavic Pro (loudest) and Mavic Pro Platinum.
7. You'll get used to it over time. Just get out and fly.

As far as your second post about poor signal quality, you should follow this thread  starting with the 4th entry.
Radio channel quality Poor
2018-9-10
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4

Pappy3 Posted at 2018-9-10 21:54
Congrats on purchasing the M2P. I'm waiting for B&H Photo to get their allotment. Comments on
1. For those who don;t already know there are plenty of vids showing the unboxing of the Mavic 2 and Fly More kit. I always like to watch at least one or two to make sure I'm not overlooking some protective cover  I'm suppose to remove.
4. I suspect a printed manual isn't provide because one most people just take off and go and then come to the forums to complain or ask how to do something and two new features are typically introduced after printing and so these would not be included. DJI provides a download page for the  Mavic 2 at https://www.dji.com/mavic-2/info#downloads . You can then download the manual, Qick Start Guide, DJI Assistant 2, etc.

Thanks for the Download docs link. I appreciate it. This will help a lot for a quick check in the field.
2018-9-11
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4

Early morning daylight flight happened just now. Took the M2P to around 30ft and moved it fwd a few feet and left a few feet.
Let it hover. Started recording at 4K/30 and slowly rotate it 360 manually.
Pressed RTH button and nothing happened. Why?
Pressed icon for RTH and it started repositioning itself and beeped. I lowered it and it landed.Stop recording.

Imported the test vid into iMovie (latest). Played the vid and it was jerky, as if it has lost frames while recording.
And, while the UAV was rotating while hovering, some parts of it were blurred even though I took measures to rotate it very slowly.

2018-9-11
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4

DJ_Fan Posted at 2018-9-11 05:58
Thanks for the Download docs link. I appreciate it. This will help a lot for a quick check in the field.

The full Guide is still pretty skimpy in terms of detailed instructions and recommendations.For example, the instructions on how to ctrl the Gimbal is absent. It just say there's a dial. Is the dial controlling the Gimbal to pan LEFT/RIGHT or UP/DOWN ?
Where do you set the Gimbal panning speed?

All in all, I find the docs, in general, are very terse and has insufficient information.
DJI needs to add more meat into their docs. How much? By another 30-40%.
The full Guide felt like a Nikon Quick Guide and the DJI Quick Guide felt like a cheat sheet.
2018-9-11
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4

The Docs

DJI,
When the docs are skimpy, information becomes scarce and using the product becomes unenjoyable.
It really brings down the joy of ownership when the manufacturer is not providing enough information that comes with the product.
2018-9-11
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

Congrats on your first drone!

There are several feedbacks I can provide for DJI:

1.) The packaging, although, quite visually appealing (almost Apple-like), is not up to expectation when unwrapping the product. First, the external box was difficult to open. There was a small tab that says OPEN, I pulled on it and nothing happened. It came off. Then, it was downhill. I had to examine the box and determine what was the best way to open the box. Second, the removal of the thin transparent strips which were wrapped around adapters and what naught were particularly troublesome. They do not have a decent extension for the fingers to grip on and I had to make several attempts to find the right way to remove them. If Apple is the standard benchmark, then this is probably around 6 or 7 out of scale of 10.

2.) Charging batteries: the UAV battery and the remote ctrl battery took a pretty short time to charge. That's a nice touch.
Firmware updates: This was easy and very nicely automated. Flawlessly done and required almost no intervention.

3.) No hardcopy manual is not a good thing. If I were to go out into the field to do test flights and to learn how to use this UAV, it would be quite painful to force your customer to go back to your video tutorials to review and follow the steps. What if the location is remote or there is poor cell network signals?

4.) The default factory setting for the camera auto-focus is not exactly working at night. I placed the M2P on my front porch with porch lights ON and flew the M2P to about 20 ft (with the camera pointing directly downwards at me) and recorded about 30 secs of video. It was all out of focus even though the landing lights came ON.

5.) The propellers are much louder than I expected. It startled me when they started the first time. Cranking them up at night seem audible to my neighbors who were inside their house with doors and windows shut.

6.) The user-interface of the remote ctrl and DJI Go 4 app needs getting used to. It's not very intuitive for first-timers.

I just received mine M2P a couple of days ago, so here is my feedback in comparison to yours.

1.) I worry about the world if we now need instructions for opening a box.

2.) Mine, like your's, arrived about 50% charged so it didn't take long for me either.

3.) There is a quick-start guide in the box that was very helpful and a full manual is available online (though it isn't quite "full" as others have mentioned). This is pretty standard now. You compared the Mavic 2's box to Apple's packaging, so does Apple provide a complete manual with any of its devices? I can't remember the last piece of electronics that I purchased that had a manual. A responsible pilot will make themselves familiar with their craft and its operation before their first flight. Watch all of the videos, read the downloaded manual, and get simulator time before even considering that first take-off.

4.) Auto-Focus in low-light is extremely difficult for all cameras, even very expensive ones. The scenario you described where the camera was facing you (and the lights), in complete darkness is pretty much impossible for auto-focus. I suggest you watch some videos on low light photography techniques for some tips and tricks from the pro's. Also, flying at night for your maiden flight is pretty irresponsible. Wait until you're proficient with piloting your craft under the best of conditions before taking on more dangerous flight parameters such as night flying.

5.) The propellors might be louder than you expected, but they are signifigantly quieter than most drones on the market.

6.) I totally agree with you about the UI for controller and DJI Go 4 app; it's a mess.
2018-9-11
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Thank you for sharing your feedback about the product we appreciate it. Satisfaction means to us. Fly safely. Cheers!
2018-9-11
Use props
Zatx
Second Officer
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

DJ_Fan Posted at 2018-9-11 06:03
Early morning daylight flight happened just now. Took the M2P to around 30ft and moved it fwd a few feet and left a few feet.
Let it hover. Started recording at 4K/30 and slowly rotate it 360 manually.
Pressed RTH button and nothing happened. Why?

RTH didn't work because essentially the aircraft was at its home point. The M2P currently lacks the precision landing feature of previous Dji drones (it's coming "soon"). You'll need to be further away than a couple of feet from where you took off before the return to home feature will work.
2018-9-11
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

Congrats on getting your Mavic 2 Pro.  I promise, Once you get over the newbie-ness of it all and get more familiar you will love it.  I actually think the props are super quiet. I've had a few different drones (not just DJI) and so far this is the quietest UAV I've had (I don't have the platinum to compare that to).  Most of your neighbors will just assume someone us using an electric lawnmower if anything or probably will not even pay attention and assume it's just some random outdoor noise.

When shooting in low light I would just pop it over to manual focus. You will have a lot better luck that route as opposed to relying on the camera to try to find the subject to focus in on. Even DSLR's I've owned have had that issue in the past. If you are not sure if it's fully in focus due to the screen. Just bracket a few shots plus and minus on your focus and you should be able to pull at least one of them out.  I also do not know if it's needed on the M2P and I just got used to it from having the Mavic Pro but I always make sure to tap the screen to auto focus on what I want before taking the photo.

Your RTH didn't work because you was too close to the home point. You have to be a certain distance from the home point in order to use RTH.

As far as the manual goes.. I can't really comment there. I'm one of those that didn't read the manual with my first DJI drone anyway lol I just watched a bunch of youtube videos and then kept it in beginner mode to hands on learn the other stuff.
2018-9-11
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

I recommend that you read the online flight manual completely.  It explains why return to home didn't work on your flight.  There will be other things that won't make sense to you until you read it.
2018-9-11
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4
United States

Oracle Miata Posted at 2018-9-11 07:40
I recommend that you read the online flight manual completely.  It explains why return to home didn't work on your flight.  There will be other things that won't make sense to you until you read it.

Is this part of the Full M2P Guide or a separate guide?
Anyone?
2018-9-11
Use props
Oracle Miata
First Officer
Flight distance : 3759829 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJ_Fan Posted at 2018-9-11 08:56
Is this part of the Full M2P Guide or a separate guide?
Anyone?

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... %20Manual_v1.0_.pdf
2018-9-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

No hardcopy manual is not a good thing. ... What if the location is remote or there is poor cell network signals?

Download a copy of manual (it is in PDF format), and keep a copy on your SmartDevice.  

If you are lucky enough to own a Laser Printer with duplexing, print out a hard copy.  

2018-9-11
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
First Officer
United States

Without knowing country you live in; do you need to register your drone or have a license to own / operate your drone?
2018-9-11
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4

RTH Button still does not work

The RTH button on the LEFT corner of the remote ctrlr still does not work even when the M2P is about 100 yards away and at 150 ft altitude.
Good thing the RTH icon works all the time.

Is the RTH button something which I need to configure?
When I pressed on it, it beeped but nothing happens.
2018-9-12
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4

DJ_Fan Posted at 2018-9-12 04:22
The RTH button on the LEFT corner of the remote ctrlr still does not work even when the M2P is about 100 yards away and at 150 ft altitude.
Good thing the RTH icon works all the time.

ha ha ... it was my error: I need to click and hold.
2018-9-12
Use props
DJ_Fan
lvl.4

The PoI feature is excellent!
Really loved.
2018-9-12
Use props
El Diablo
Second Officer

Germany

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2018-9-12
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

There is a bit of a learning curve with DJI quads but keep messing with it, in a few weeks you will be a pro....
2018-9-13
Use props
paul2660
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10331 ft
  • >>>

I agree on the manual, sure you can download the pdf, but many products of this price point include a manual that can be carried into the field, all DSLR's that I know of.  Hard to carry a letter sized manual to the field and there is ton of info in the manual.  

Noise, try a Phantom 4, Vr 2.0 or 1.0.  Then go back to the Mavic.  The Mavic is amazingly quiet for what it can deliver.   Just a tad more noise than the MPP.

Paul C
2018-9-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules