Inspire #2 is a lemon!
2868 26 2015-5-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
iamintricate
lvl.1

United States

It seems that each of my posts revolve around a series of misfortunate events, despite having flown hundreds of hours filming with no issue, up until the last 2 weeks. This is crash and adventure recovery #3.

At a certain point, I lost signal, it attempted to Return to Home, which I always crank up on the elevation to clear any obstacles, but it went face first into the rock and disappered. The more I see how vulnerable the camera and gimble is with the legs up on the I1, the more I want the cage of the Phantom or Solo.

Overall, I've noticed a very significant difference with the handling and stability between my first I1 and this one. WHY IS THAT?

You can view the misadventure here, with most recent aerial footage. (Be sure to turn on HD)

2015-5-29
Use props
easiair05
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1336942 ft
United States

Sorry for your circumstance, hope they treat you right. Your video work is great, your attitude is even more so. Good luck and I will subscribe.
2015-5-29
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

Awesome video.  Ironically probably much more interesting than a landscape video!

Sorry for your experience, very frustrating.

After a firmware upgrade I noticed a big difference in handling but then realized that it had just reset all my custom settings and trims.    Could this be the case?
2015-5-29
Use props
iamintricate
lvl.1

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-30 10:18
Awesome video.  Ironically probably much more interesting than a landscape video!

Sorry for your ex ...

Good question. This was the 2nd flight, right after upgrading hardware, radio, and all 4 batteries.

This machine absolutely needs a depth sensor, or it should calculate its battery life, and if having enough, should retrace its flown path back to home, vs just b-lining straight to the GPS marker. Seems so obvious...
2015-5-29
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

iamintricate@gm Posted at 2015-5-30 10:28
Good question. This was the 2nd flight, right after upgrading hardware, radio, and all 4 batteries ...

Interesting.  

Why do you think it should retrace its steps?   

Seems like rising to a safe height and taking the shortest way home makes sense.    Plus you may have safely flown across an empty street at 4 feet that now has a big truck in the way.

Wasn't your scenario a malfunction as opposed to bad decision making of the RTH function?  
2015-5-29
Use props
Bkackman
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3445020 ft
United States

Truly a great attitude about your adventures. Thank you for documenting it for us to share. Best of luck going forward with you Inspire(s)!  Beautiful photography, too.
2015-5-29
Use props
iamintricate
lvl.1

United States

jimhare Posted at 2015-5-30 10:37
Interesting.  

Why do you think it should retrace its steps?   

Good point about what was once a safe route, is no longer. I suppose the only real solution is a depth sensor, otherwise how will it know what route really is the right route?
2015-6-2
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Australia

iamintricate@gm Posted at 2015-6-3 13:09
Good point about what was once a safe route, is no longer. I suppose the only real solution is a d ...

I still think straight up to a height you personally specify, then straight line to where you started, then straight down will always be the best route.   Last thing we want is it thinking for itself to make that decision.   You can always override it fly manually home if you want.
2015-6-3
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Seriously ... look at his videos and do the math!
What is the purpose of this ... marketing !?

2015-6-3
Use props
davidbsamuels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8049101 ft
  • >>>
United States

Ah the adventures in travel.  Rolling with the punches, embracing the moments and feeling blessed the whole time.  Time for a road trip, off I go.
2015-6-3
Use props
bostonlines
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1045558 ft
United States

What was your RTH alitude and did you check it prior to liftoff?  
2015-6-3
Use props
lethbrp
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I'm so looking forward to watching one of your videos (which are pretty nice BTW) without the stress of watching you rock climbing to get you're Inspire back. I'd be really interested to know what went wrong with them and what DJI are saying.
2015-6-3
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

iamintricate@gm Posted at 2015-6-3 13:09
Good point about what was once a safe route, is no longer. I suppose the only real solution is a d ...

Earlier this year I was flying around mesas in N. Arizona and New Mexico.  After one flight I realized I needed to set my RTH higher than the tallest part of the mesa for this very reason.  I was berated somewhat for setting such an extreme RTH altitude.  Live and learn.  Nice video presentation.
2015-6-3
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

You made a very interesting video of a situation all "drone" pilots face in some degree of another. It was the human element that lifted this far above the average landscape video. The day is coming soon when shots from the air will become passe....but the story will always be interesting. You have a good relaxed personality on camera. I did notice one thing....the camera seemed to twitch just before going into RTF and heading for the rock>>>I'm not sure if that was an electronic spasm or just the way it was edited. Anyway, well done. You managed to make me keep watching to the end....I almost never do that. May I post a link to this video on my FB page?
2015-6-3
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

w1der Posted at 2015-6-3 17:37

You irritate me.  I thought Swedish people were nice.  I read posts and come across your input and you are always so negative.
This guy is sharing and I thoroughly enjoy his videos.  How do you call any of this a marketing stunt?
I am tired of you being a grumpy old man, all you do is complain... So keep all your negative thoughts to yourself.
2015-6-3
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

Amazing scenery!  Well put together video.  I wish I could say I could keep calm like you have, not once but twice now.
If I ever have the same issues as you have had, I will make sure to treat it like an adventure rather than a disaster (this will be tough).
Keep up the good work, I hope you are up and flying again soon!
2015-6-3
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-6-4 01:53
You irritate me.  I thought Swedish people were nice.  I read posts and come across your input and  ...

I am sorry you find me irritating ... I have "Aspergers" I don´t do "nice, "mean", "grumpy" or what ever...
My struggle with "normal" people is tearing me apart. I don´t know how to play the "social game" ...
Actually, I am learning on a daily basis ... (you should have met me 10 years ago).

I didn´t realize I was being such a pain on here ...

2015-6-3
Use props
Sky High Aerial
lvl.3

Canada

w1der Posted at 2015-6-4 03:05
I am sorry you find me irritating ... I have "Aspergers" I don´t do "nice, "mean", "grumpy" or wh ...

I may have come across a bit harsh, but I feel that it would be more beneficial if we give more positive reinforcements, especially when there is a loss of an Inspire is involved.  
I don't speak for the rest of the forum, I was just irked a bit at you implying this "story" was a marketing ploy.
Take care and be happy lol
2015-6-3
Use props
iamintricate
lvl.1

United States

w1der Posted at 2015-6-3 17:37

I'd happily accept this is marketing, if DJi were willing to foot the bill of this marketing expense, or at least replace my dysfunctional bird! Until then, it's just a guy who happens to have a camera on him at all times, and manage to turn normally frustrating scenarios into adventures to keep me from becoming bitter.

Cheers!
2015-6-4
Use props
iamintricate
lvl.1

United States

bostonlines@gma Posted at 2015-6-3 21:50
What was your RTH alitude and did you check it prior to liftoff?

That's a great question... probably something I should look into.
2015-6-4
Use props
iamintricate
lvl.1

United States

lethbrp Posted at 2015-6-3 23:14
I'm so looking forward to watching one of your videos (which are pretty nice BTW) without the stress ...

Haha! I'm so looking forward to making a video that USES the bird, and not is ABOUT the bird.
2015-6-4
Use props
iamintricate
lvl.1

United States

leostrat_54@yah Posted at 2015-6-3 23:36
Earlier this year I was flying around mesas in N. Arizona and New Mexico.  After one flight I real ...

Such a great call, and learning this lesson right now.
2015-6-4
Use props
iamintricate
lvl.1

United States

pete1144@me.com Posted at 2015-6-4 00:55
You made a very interesting video of a situation all "drone" pilots face in some degree of another.  ...

Thanks man, really appreciate that. As much as I love getting the bird's eye perspective, I'm so much more interested in how it serves as enabling a story. But yeah, hopefully it helps OTHER stories in the future.

I think that spasm is when it lost contact and engaged RTH. Could be wrong, but it was about that time.
2015-6-4
Use props
iamintricate
lvl.1

United States

Sky High Aerial Posted at 2015-6-4 01:58
Amazing scenery!  Well put together video.  I wish I could say I could keep calm like you have, not  ...

Honestly the vlogging thing really helps. What used to be super annoying or soul crushing, I now know at least turns out to be good drama. (Coping mechanism!) haha
2015-6-4
Use props
homedad
lvl.2
United States

Great footage. What a shame that it ended that way. I've got my money sitting next to me and I really want to buy one but these constant crashes keep me from ordering. I suppose I'll just work on getting my head right before I commit.
2015-6-5
Use props
pete1144
lvl.3

United States

w1der Posted at 2015-6-4 03:05
I am sorry you find me irritating ... I have "Aspergers" I don´t do "nice, "mean", "grumpy" or wh ...

Of course you don't realize you are a "pain"...you have Asberger's.
2015-6-6
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

pete1144@me.com Posted at 2015-6-7 08:20
Of course you don't realize you are a "pain"...you have Asberger's.

I am sorry (not really but I have learned to say "things like that" when some one disapproves of "my ways") ...

I used to enjoy life ... but people fucked it up ...
2015-6-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules