546 4 2018-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
TX99517
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>
United States

I am wondering if anyone has successfully used their MPP to film/shoot Northern Lights displays.  It's that time of year here and I would like to give this a shot providing I can get my backside out of bed when they are out.  
2018-9-11
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Wow, that would be a nice idea and great video too. Hopefully, our valued Customer can share their experience shooting the Nothern lights displays.
2018-9-11
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158734 ft
Germany

That's something I'm also very interested in...

My approach would include decreasing the shutter to a level where the light is just about visible and then play around with ISO until it's entirely visible. I can imagine, though that depending on how fast the lights are moving this could lead to a decent amount of motion blur when the exposure time is too high...
2018-9-11
Use props
TX99517
lvl.4
Flight distance : 274649 ft
  • >>>
United States

FntX Posted at 2018-9-11 22:05
That's something I'm also very interested in...

My approach would include decreasing the shutter to a level where the light is just about visible and then play around with ISO until it's entirely visible. I can imagine, though that depending on how fast the lights are moving this could lead to a decent amount of motion blur when the exposure time is too high...

I know there are general guides for traditional DSLR cameras but not sure how they would work with the camera on the MPP.  
2018-9-12
Use props
FntX
lvl.3
Flight distance : 158734 ft
Germany

While playing around today at night I found out that this could become very tricky. I suggest capturing a lot of images with varying shutter speeds and ISO and then filter out what turned out bad... Take at least 3 pictures in a row just in case the drone changed orientation mid-shot. That might happen a lot... I took 20 pictures today and only 1 was acceptable and this was just a bog standard city shot.
2018-9-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules