1889 5 2018-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Roland Schulz
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2166962 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just want to sum up some current bugs, shortcomings and comments for improvement here.
DJI, please don´t see this as critism, see this as help for improvement.

Beside the dim status LEDs I think this is the very best gimbal hardware to date on the market with the best build quality and best ergnomics (esp. grip) etc..

In my eyes it´s mainly the software that´s somewhat not on the top notch yet.
My report is for Ronin-S FW1.04 and 1.1.4 iOS app.

Bugs:
1. Reset settings from the app doesn´t reset everything to factory defaults. There are at least settings left in the different user profiles for Smooth Track etc.. Please verify every user settings or internal parameters beside the individual factory settings (serial number, offset values for sensors...) are set to default.

2. Joystick function is still active during system calibration. You can operate the axises by using the joystick while calibration is running. Despite calibration is always (?!) reported successful, calibration will be mostly faulty, sometimes even resulting in a spinning camera after calibration.

3. Entering standby takes to long after activation, would say around 2secs. Unhanding the handgrip after standby let´s the grip rotate 2-3secs after enabling standby, spreading the legs of the tripod and maybe hitting things. There´s also a sound from the motor(s) to be heard.

4. Sometimes (depends on ???) the gimbal can´t be woken up from standby. Happens quite often to me.

5. From Autotune (Low, Mid and High) I always get questionable results in strenght (advanced settings dialog).
Strenght for pan always shows a value of 10 where tilt shows 20 - why?? The camera´s mass that has to be moved in centre of gravity should (!!) be the very same in pan and tilt axis where both motors are nearly in the same level from above.
Me and others here also found problems with wobble/jitter in the pan axis.
Trying to do slow controlled pans always result in changing pan speed or chopping. Stopping the pan movement of the grip shows slowdown of the camera movement, but before the pan movement completely stops there is a little, visible "jump" before the movement stops completely. This leads to completely unusable footage. Me and others don´t see this problem in the tilt axis, there everything seems to be smooth.
I manually increased the strenght for the pan axis also to 20 as Autotune determines for the tilt axis and the problem is gone! Movement is even better with a setting of 40 for my setup. This was checked with a Sony a7M3 with the Sony 24-105 4.0G attached (as also with a6500/SEL18105 4G).

6. Motor control sometimes feels unnatural and is no real PT1 controlling behaviour. Step response keeps control deviation especially with small SmoothTrack parameters for speed.
I first also presumed this as the cause for the problems of point 5. above but the non PT1 behaviour seems not to be the reason here.

Shortcomings/improvement:
7. Battery is switched on by a single short press and is activated accidently quite often. Better use the method as with your drone batteries (press, depress, long press). For power down it´s already used in this way.

8. Torch roll mode is actually limited to horizontal use, even when tilt follow is enabled. It´s not possible to roll the camera when the grip is tilted (stairways up/down). This could be improved.

9. Despite the very good hardware the usermode LEDs are very dim and can hardly be seen outsides in sunlight. Maybe the LEDs can be powered stronger via PWM, maybe or better implement an optional "blind mode", means after a pause not pressing M for e.g. 2secs. every short successive press of the M button starts at user mode 1, then 2, then 3...
If you´re operating the camera this becomes more intuitive since you need not to know in which mode you currently are. Further more user modes would be a nice addition that could be displayed by LED 3+1 = 4, 3+2 = 5 and 3+2+1 = 6. If user mode x is selected the app should show a checkbox for disabling the current mode since not everybody will need/want every of the 6 user modes at any time (no need to toggle through them all).

10. Please improve the "Track" feature, make it possible to save positions by "push pan" like in the other modes. Also make the motion time longer than 30mins..

11. Since I´m a Sony user (a7M3/a6500) I can´t comment on camera control through the gimbal because it´s not working yet.
At least REC start/stop would be a nice feature to be seen soon.

Additions welcome to support DJI fixing out other bugs.

2018-9-11
Use props
0marsherief
lvl.1
Egypt

Also i hope that there is a way that i can lock a certain axis for example i want it to follow my pan  but i don't want it to follow either tilt or roll when i hold the trigger it locks all the axis and there is no way to lock a certain axis in the app or maybe at least i don't know how if anybody could help i was a crane 2 user and just got my ronin s yesterday it's amazing in everything but it's just missing the feature of locking certain axis.
2018-9-12
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

0marsherief Posted at 2018-9-12 00:20
Also i hope that there is a way that i can lock a certain axis for example i want it to follow my pan  but i don't want it to follow either tilt or roll when i hold the trigger it locks all the axis and there is no way to lock a certain axis in the app or maybe at least i don't know how if anybody could help i was a crane 2 user and just got my ronin s yesterday it's amazing in everything but it's just missing the feature of locking certain axis.

Life is easy - in the app go to "SmoothTrack" and select "SmoothTrack" for any axis you want being followed, disable for others you want being locked.
You can save different profiles named "user 1" to "user 3".
Trigger button held is always full lock, double click is recenter and triple click is selfie mode.This is no bug.
2018-9-12
Use props
0marsherief
lvl.1
Egypt

Roland Schulz Posted at 2018-9-12 01:35
Life is easy - in the app go to "SmoothTrack" and select "SmoothTrack" for any axis you want being followed, disable for others you want being locked.
You can save different profiles named "user 1" to "user 3".
Trigger button held is always full lock, double click is recenter and triple click is selfie mode.This is no bug.

oh thanks <3
another thing i noticed is that when i twist the gimbal to the right or to the left it always makes a click and i feel like i'm damaging the motors
i tried to fix it via firmware update but it's still doing that
and when i try to move it fast the motors shut down and the led's starts to flicker
2018-9-15
Use props
Roland Schulz
lvl.3
  • >>>
United Kingdom

One other thing I also found is what other also described. Some parameters in the app aren't saved sometimes. Today I changed to parameters for the joystick (speed) and after restart they were gone.
2018-9-15
Use props
i.am.ivan.stan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 345302 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

0marsherief Posted at 9-15 08:53
oh thanks

The click is the barrel of the motor hitting onto the knob used to tighten the axis arm. Point the knob to the side not down towards motors
2018-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules