P4P V2 camera out of focus
668 9 2018-9-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BobCowen
lvl.2
Flight distance : 491673 ft
United States

I've been using a P3P for 2 years and now have a P4P V2.  I'm shooting video at 1080p, 60 FPS and taking screen shots (VLC) for the photos.  Everything looks great on my P3 but (using the same settings on both Phantoms), the photos on the P4P V2 look out of focus.  Here is a link to some examples: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m0900 ... 4WEfyk2agAkk8a?dl=0

The only adjustments that I make are to lighten and darken the images with the right wheel.

Is the camera defective or am I doing something wrong?  Thanks for any/all ideas
2018-9-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

I would use 30 pfs, 60 only makes it harder for the camera to encode the material and does not give you improved quality. Apart from that, your video clip is over-exposed, when using the right wheel, it is best to bring up the histogram display and use that as a guide to exposure. The histogram needs some reading to understand it, but it can make it a lot easier to expose. I don't think there is anything wrong with your camera.
2018-9-11
Use props
BobCowen
lvl.2
United States

Geebax:  Thank you for your reply.  Perhaps I was spoiled by the simplicity of the P3P and am unable to handle a much more capable camera.  I used 1080p, 60FPS on my P3P and got very good video and screen captures.  I expected to be able to do the same without becoming an industrial strength photographer.  I've never used the histogram nor over-exposure warnings during the 4+ years of work (P2 w/GoPro & P3P) and would hope that it's not necessary for the type of work I'm doing.
2018-9-11
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

BobCowen Posted at 2018-9-11 18:59
Geebax:  Thank you for your reply.  Perhaps I was spoiled by the simplicity of the P3P and am unable to handle a much more capable camera.  I used 1080p, 60FPS on my P3P and got very good video and screen captures.  I expected to be able to do the same without becoming an industrial strength photographer.  I've never used the histogram nor over-exposure warnings during the 4+ years of work (P2 w/GoPro & P3P) and would hope that it's not necessary for the type of work I'm doing.

The P4P has a mechanical shutter, variable aperture and variable focus. You need to be able to understand all those and how they affect the quality of images you shoot. If you are capturing images from the video, then expect them to perhaps be out of focus, as they will include blur due to movement of the camera. If you want crystal clear still shots, then use the still photo mode. And over-exposing the images will lead to more blur because exposure can affect the aperture or shutter speed.  I can't see any advantage of using 60 fps, 30 fps will do a better job.
2018-9-11
Use props
Dorsal
New

United States

BobCowen Posted at 2018-9-11 18:59
Geebax:  Thank you for your reply.  Perhaps I was spoiled by the simplicity of the P3P and am unable to handle a much more capable camera.  I used 1080p, 60FPS on my P3P and got very good video and screen captures.  I expected to be able to do the same without becoming an industrial strength photographer.  I've never used the histogram nor over-exposure warnings during the 4+ years of work (P2 w/GoPro & P3P) and would hope that it's not necessary for the type of work I'm doing.

If it makes you feel any better, I just pulled the trigger on a P4P+ V2 after using a P1 and P2V+ For years. and I’m having the same trouble.  I bought the new one largely because the camera got such great reviews, but I am having a really hard time achieving the quality I expected.  I’m certain it’s an operator error problem, but it’s very frustrating.  
2018-9-12
Use props
BobCowen
lvl.2
United States

Geebax Posted at 2018-9-11 19:25
The P4P has a mechanical shutter, variable aperture and variable focus. You need to be able to understand all those and how they affect the quality of images you shoot. If you are capturing images from the video, then expect them to perhaps be out of focus, as they will include blur due to movement of the camera. If you want crystal clear still shots, then use the still photo mode. And over-exposing the images will lead to more blur because exposure can affect the aperture or shutter speed.  I can't see any advantage of using 60 fps, 30 fps will do a better job.

Won't 30 FPS cause motion blur also?   I've seen comments about a more cinematic effect when using it; thus I conclude more blur when grabbing screen captures?  
2018-9-12
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

BobCowen Posted at 2018-9-12 03:45
Won't 30 FPS cause motion blur also?   I've seen comments about a more cinematic effect when using it; thus I conclude more blur when grabbing screen captures?

Not necessarily, when running at 60 fps, either the shutter must be slower, or the aperture wider, so it can make the situation worse. In any event, screen captures are a bad idea, you get lower resolution because it takes the shots at the same size as the video frame and at a slower shutter speed. The quality of the still shots is far better.
2018-9-12
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Sorry for the inconvenience. I would like to ask if the issue will occur on different resolution? Did you manage to check the file on the SD card? Please let us know. Thank you for the support.
2018-9-14
Use props
BobCowen
lvl.2
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-9-14 11:19
Hi, Sorry for the inconvenience. I would like to ask if the issue will occur on different resolution? Did you manage to check the file on the SD card? Please let us know. Thank you for the support.

It's on the way to DJI for them to look at it.  I suspect that the camera is bad or out of adjustment.  I ordered it on the day it was announced and probably received one of the first ones.  I'm now using my P3P again and getting great results with the identical settings; thus my feeling that the problem is within the camera.  Within a week of receipt of the P4P V2, I contacted DJI and was told to reset the camera; which I did.  The problem persisted and I was unable to resolve it with any setting changes.  I expect that this will be covered by the warranty because the problem was brought to the attention of DJI immediately after it was received.  
2018-9-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

BobCowen Posted at 2018-9-14 12:20
It's on the way to DJI for them to look at it.  I suspect that the camera is bad or out of adjustment.  I ordered it on the day it was announced and probably received one of the first ones.  I'm now using my P3P again and getting great results with the identical settings; thus my feeling that the problem is within the camera.  Within a week of receipt of the P4P V2, I contacted DJI and was told to reset the camera; which I did.  The problem persisted and I was unable to resolve it with any setting changes.  I expect that this will be covered by the warranty because the problem was brought to the attention of DJI immediately after it was received.

Hi, Thanks for your updates. Sorry that we ended up sending the unit to our repair facility, no worries it would be under damage assessment then our team will provide an appropriate resolution. Thank you for the support.
2018-9-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules