Image extract from Video
19848 15 2018-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Charissa
First Officer
Flight distance : 689334 ft
South Africa

HiWould like to know if there is any way, to capture a still frame, in high definition, from a video? In principle, a photo from video footage.
I did manage to capture a few images, but the quality is not good. As the video was done in 4K, can i not get higher res images from video, than what the Mavic Air can capture?
Hope it make sense?
Software to use? Any ideas

2018-9-12
Use props
R&L Aerial photography
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use iPad Pro 10.5 and while watching videos if a see something that would make a nice still I simply take a “screen shot” some of my best photos came from screen shots....
2018-9-12
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

R&L Aerial photography Posted at 2018-9-12 02:37
I use iPad Pro 10.5 and while watching videos if a see something that would make a nice still I simply take a “screen shot” some of my best photos came from screen shots....

Good idea. Does it take a high resolution screenshot? Something that can be edited in Photoshop?
2018-9-12
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-12 02:40
Good idea. Does it take a high resolution screenshot? Something that can be edited in Photoshop?

If you have Adobe Premiere pro, it should not be any problems

That is the way to go if you want to do your own luts.

check this out, can be newer and better tutorials but......

2018-9-12
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

No, you can't get higher res images from video frame grabs than you could from stills. However, frame grabs are often quite usable. If on a Mac, simply open the movie in Quicktime Player, select the frame you want and then copy and paste it into something like Preview and then save as a 32-bit PNG for later processing in post.
2018-9-12
Use props
pjollain
lvl.4
Flight distance : 106093 ft
France

"As the video was done in 4K, can i not get higher res images from video, than what the Mavic Air can capture?"

No, the Mavic Air sensor is 12 megapixels, while a 4K UHD video is only a bit more than 8 megapixels per frame.
2018-9-12
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-9-12 06:28
No, you can't get higher res images from video frame grabs than you could from stills. However, frame grabs are often quite usable. If on a Mac, simply open the movie in Quicktime Player, select the frame you want and then copy and paste it into something like Preview and then save as a 32-bit PNG for later processing in post.

Not one Mac, thanks. Will see if it could be done in Windows.
2018-9-12
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-12 09:17
Not one Mac, thanks. Will see if it could be done in Windows.

It can be done on Windows, too, I just don't know which apps make it easiest for you these days. Maybe a Windows user will chime in with recs. Have fun!
2018-9-12
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Flybee Posted at 2018-9-12 06:20
If you have Adobe Premiere pro, it should not be any problems

That is the way to go if you want to do your own luts.

Thanks, this works. PP give option to save as PNG etc, where Filmora did not give me a option, only low quality jpeg.
2018-9-12
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

pjollain Posted at 2018-9-12 06:34
"As the video was done in 4K, can i not get higher res images from video, than what the Mavic Air can capture?"

No, the Mavic Air sensor is 12 megapixels, while a 4K UHD video is only a bit more than 8 megapixels per frame.

Thanks. Sometimes i need a frame that i missed the photo of. Will see how it comes out.
2018-9-12
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

Ex Machina Posted at 2018-9-12 09:20
It can be done on Windows, too, I just don't know which apps make it easiest for you these days. Maybe a Windows user will chime in with recs. Have fun!

Tried the Premiur Pro version. Works well. Hopefully there will be a easier way. Meaning, not to open a new project etc. Thanks anyway. Gave me a way to start trying different programs out.
2018-9-12
Use props
astrofly
First Officer
Flight distance : 554301 ft
Italy

No more persons have a 4k monitor (28" 32" or more) and normally if the image captured is for a web use (little dimension) is simple capture the screen in a monitor full hd.
2018-9-12
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

astrofly Posted at 2018-9-12 11:00
No more persons have a 4k monitor (28" 32" or more) and normally if the image captured is for a web use (little dimension) is simple capture the screen in a monitor full hd.

Thanks, I agree. But, that said, I am a bit of a pain with image quality. Never happy with what I got. Have a widescreen 27 inch pc monitor. Love to see quality.
2018-9-12
Use props
astrofly
First Officer
Flight distance : 554301 ft
Italy

Charissa Posted at 2018-9-12 11:08
Thanks, I agree. But, that said, I am a bit of a pain with image quality. Never happy with what I got. Have a widescreen 27 inch pc monitor. Love to see quality.

I don't know the resolution of your monitor but probably is full hd. Better for capture and vision. Sure that if you want to zoom ... In any case the resolution of the human eye does not reach 4k.
2018-9-13
Use props
Charissa
First Officer
South Africa

astrofly Posted at 2018-9-13 03:21
I don't know the resolution of your monitor but probably is full hd. Better for capture and vision. Sure that if you want to zoom ... In any case the resolution of the human eye does not reach 4k.

Yes. Not a 4K monitor.
2018-9-13
Use props
Martin_M
New

Argentina

you can use davinci resolve to cut a frame in its original size, or also windows video editor
https://youtu.be/ADoVnb88Kmg

2021-1-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules