Has anyone been experiencing 'Grey eye'?
994 21 2018-9-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Kobski
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1788297 ft

Just received a new p4p and it was great but on two occasions there seems to be no image from the camera. Just a grey. Very strange. First time I packed up and drove home, tried her again & she worked fine. This evening I stayed and rebooted everything quite a few times, and still grey. Got back home and she worked fine. Weird. I have my Pfco next week & could do without a temperamental bird lol
2018-9-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Is your firmware current?

RedHotPoker
2018-9-12
Use props
Kobski
lvl.2
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-9-12 16:33
Is your firmware current?

I sent my p4p back to Dji due to unexplained splitting of the plastic. I expected a new shell but received a whole new unit. Out of four five flights, three of which were perfect, two have shown a grey image. Im a bit weary of updates due to horror stories on here & fb. It does say the firmware is upto date but the flysafe needs updating.
2018-9-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kobski Posted at 2018-9-12 22:22
I sent my p4p back to Dji due to unexplained splitting of the plastic. I expected a new shell but received a whole new unit. Out of four five flights, three of which were perfect, two have shown a grey image. Im a bit weary of updates due to horror stories on here & fb. It does say the firmware is upto date but the flysafe needs updating.

Ok, sent it back once already. Thats probably the best thing you could have done.
But now this camera issue, which isn't any prize either.

What if you must return its second time for this Malfunctioning camera? Frustrating I know.

RedHotPoker
2018-9-12
Use props
Big Nana
Second Officer
Flight distance : 38632 ft
  • >>>

What mobile device are you using? You should provide some screenshots or a short video about this issue.
2018-9-12
Use props
Kobski
lvl.2
United Kingdom

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-9-12 22:38
Ok, sent it back once already. Thats probably the best thing you could have done.
But now this camera issue, which isn't any prize either.

I have my Pfco course next week so another repair/exchange is not an option. More a case of hope its alright on the night lol. Maybe if the problem persists I will contact Dji and report the fault. For now it would be interesting if someone has a similar experience. Thanks
2018-9-12
Use props
Kobski
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Big Nana Posted at 2018-9-12 23:31
What mobile device are you using? You should provide some screenshots or a short video about this issue.

I am using Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1
I am hoping this doesnt continue but i will make footage if it does.
2018-9-12
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Kobski Posted at 2018-9-12 23:59
I am using Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.1
I am hoping this doesnt continue but i will make footage if it does.

Aloha Kobski ,

If I am understanding your "Gray Eye" reference, you are getting a gray blank screen?  The camera's "Live View" is not working?  If so, this usually happens when there is interference and / or distance issues.

To solve the problem, go into the "General Settings" and select "HD".  In HD, look at the "Custom" option for the Live View communications frequency.  If "Auto" is selected, the word Auto will be blue.  If so touch Custom and it will turn blue and open up the custom screen.

Inside the custom options, read the options and select the 5.8 GHz option.  The 5.8 will turn blue.  5.8 GHz has the least interference in most flying environments.  However, the United Kingdom may not use 5.8 GHz or allow its use and it may not be available.  But, at least try.  Either way, continue on.

Select one of the dozen or so frequency that applies for the location you are at.  Each time you change locations, different frequencies will have better performance indications.  The blue line indicates the current chosen frequency.

Then comes the important part.  At the bottom, you can select a bitrate for the communication.  If you select the lowest bitrate, everything will still work great, but it will be highly unlikely you will get the Gray Eye.  DJI may have changed the selection system, but if there is a "Slider", slide the tab all the way to the left.  This will give you a 4 or 6 MBPS bitrate, plenty to work with.  Give it a try!

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-9-13
Use props
Kobski
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 2018-9-13 01:00
Aloha Kobski ,

If I am understanding your "Gray Eye" reference, you are getting a gray blank screen?  The camera's "Live View" is not working?  If so, this usually happens when there is interference and / or distance issues.

Hi and thank you for your input. I will take your information on board and will try it out later today. Hopefully put things right. Thank you very much.
2018-9-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Kobski Posted at 2018-9-12 23:37
I have my Pfco course next week so another repair/exchange is not an option. More a case of hope its alright on the night lol. Maybe if the problem persists I will contact Dji and report the fault. For now it would be interesting if someone has a similar experience. Thanks

I am hopeful, you will have an interruption free event.

Good luck too, but you are probably well studied and readily versed.

RedHotPoker
2018-9-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi, I do apologize for the inconvenience caused. Can you please show us a screenshot showing the issue you encountering right now? So we can check this on our end. Thank you.
2018-9-13
Use props
Anokadrone
Second Officer
Flight distance : 58327 ft

United States

Kobski Posted at 2018-9-12 23:37
I have my Pfco course next week so another repair/exchange is not an option. More a case of hope its alright on the night lol. Maybe if the problem persists I will contact Dji and report the fault. For now it would be interesting if someone has a similar experience. Thanks

Hi, please excuse my ignorance and if you don't mind me asking, what is Pfco?
2018-9-13
Use props
Kobski
lvl.2

Anokadrone Posted at 2018-9-13 09:51
Hi, please excuse my ignorance and if you don't mind me asking, what is Pfco?

Permission for commercial operations.  In the UK we have to pass this course to prove ourselves competent to fly other than for hobby.
2018-9-13
Use props
Kobski
lvl.2

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-9-13 09:36
Hi, I do apologize for the inconvenience caused. Can you please show us a screenshot showing the issue you encountering right now? So we can check this on our end. Thank you.

Hi, thank you for your message. I failed to take a screenshot last night but I can show you this one. Spot the two grey flights [img][/img]
2018-9-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Kobski Posted at 2018-9-13 11:35
Hi, thank you for your message. I failed to take a screenshot last night but I can show you this one. Spot the two grey flights [view_image][/img]

Hi, It seems like you are not getting any live view to your app correct? May I know if there's an error message showing on the screen?
2018-9-13
Use props
Kobski
lvl.2

DJI Natalia Posted at 2018-9-13 11:59
Hi, It seems like you are not getting any live view to your app correct? May I know if there's an error message showing on the screen?

I am flying a new p4p unit you sent to me last week. This phenomenon does not occur every time I power up. Only twice so far. I cannot fly tonight but I powered up to check and it is fine today. If or when the Grey occurs again, I'll  provide video and or screenshots .
2018-9-13
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Kobski Posted at 2018-9-13 12:05
I am flying a new p4p unit you sent to me last week. This phenomenon does not occur every time I power up. Only twice so far. I cannot fly tonight but I powered up to check and it is fine today. If or when the Grey occurs again, I'll  provide video and or screenshots .

I see. Please keep us posted in regards to this concern. Thank you.
2018-9-13
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Kobski Posted at 2018-9-13 11:35
Hi, thank you for your message. I failed to take a screenshot last night but I can show you this one. Spot the two grey flights [view_image][/img]

Aloha Kobski ,

The screencapture you displayed only indicates what photos were taken during your flight.  Most of my "Moments" are grayed out because I rarely shoot photos (I pull frames from the video).  If you recorded video, it will be on the Micro SD Card.  A 720p version of your videos are also there in the ThumbNails folder along with ThumbNails of the photos.

Does the "Live View" video properly feed from the camera to your display while flying and the "On-Screen Display" of flight parameters display while flying?  BTW, if you touch the first Grayed out box in Moments column, the video should display if you took any.  It should then display in the box (or so I remember).

Hope this helps!

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-9-14
Use props
Kobski
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Cetacean Posted at 2018-9-14 02:42
Aloha Kobski ,

The screencapture you displayed only indicates what photos were taken during your flight.  Most of my "Moments" are grayed out because I rarely shoot photos (I pull frames from the video).  If you recorded video, it will be on the Micro SD Card.  A 720p version of your videos are also there in the ThumbNails folder along with ThumbNails of the photos.

Sorry I should have explained more clearly. I did not take stills or video during those Grey episodes. I have only attatched this screen shot to show when they occurred, not for any sort of evidence. Thank you for your attention.
2018-9-15
Use props
Cetacean
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Kobski Posted at 2018-9-15 01:20
Sorry I should have explained more clearly. I did not take stills or video during those Grey episodes. I have only attatched this screen shot to show when they occurred, not for any sort of evidence. Thank you for your attention.

Aloha Kobski ,

In light of what we have learned so far, could you please restate your problem in much more detail.

Aloha and Drone On!
2018-9-15
Use props
Kobski
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Ok thank you everyone for your input. The 'Grey Eye' occurred a few more times since we last spoke. I was puzzled completely. I tried to take footage to show you but the message No SD card was on the display. So I ejected SD card and Bingo! No 'Grey Eye'
I insert SD card and 'Grey Eye' once again.
I formatted SD card, no more 'Grey Eye' ever!.
Happy ending folks
2018-10-5
Use props
Dex
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814767 ft
Australia

Kobski Posted at 2018-10-5 02:07
Ok thank you everyone for your input. The 'Grey Eye' occurred a few more times since we last spoke. I was puzzled completely. I tried to take footage to show you but the message No SD card was on the display. So I ejected SD card and Bingo! No 'Grey Eye'
I insert SD card and 'Grey Eye' once again.
I formatted SD card, no more 'Grey Eye' ever!.

Ha, that's what I came here to suggest.

Glad to hear you worked out the problem.
2018-10-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules