3944 28 2018-9-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Illuminations
Captain
Flight distance : 13 ft
  • >>>
United States

So I just noticed that all my timelapse videos that I've recorded with the Mavic 2 Zoom are only coming out as 1080p. Is there a way change to 4k? I find it bizarre that a drone capable of shooting 4k at 30fps would be unable to record 4k at .5fps!
2018-9-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13864580 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

May be they'll update it in a future FW
2018-9-14
Use props
Illuminations
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-9-14 11:09
May be they'll update it in a future FW

Hopefully, but why not have the option from the beginning?
2018-9-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Illuminations Posted at 2018-9-14 11:10
Hopefully, but why not have the option from the beginning?

Million dollar question
2018-9-14
Use props
Illuminations
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-9-14 11:13
Million dollar question

I think bizarre and seemingly arbitrary software limitations has got to be my greatest frustration with DJI products (though to be fair, they aren't as bad about that as Canon!).
2018-9-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Illuminations Posted at 2018-9-14 11:16
I think bizarre and seemingly arbitrary software limitations has got to be my greatest frustration with DJI products (though to be fair, they aren't as bad about that as Canon!).

One of the many things I love about my Inspire 1 V2 is that there are no more FW updates
2018-9-14
Use props
Illuminations
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-9-14 11:18
One of the many things I love about my Inspire 1 V2 is that there are no more FW updates

Every time I turn on my Mavic 2 there's another tiny update - I kind of wish they would save them up and lump them together, and not bug you persistently until you install! The "flysafe database" updates are the most irritatingly frequent - IMHO there should be an option to turn off the notifications for those!
2018-9-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Illuminations Posted at 2018-9-14 11:27
Every time I turn on my Mavic 2 there's another tiny update - I kind of wish they would save them up and lump them together, and not bug you persistently until you install! The "flysafe database" updates are the most irritatingly frequent - IMHO there should be an option to turn off the notifications for those!

Be thankful as they tend to stop when you want something fixed
2018-9-14
Use props
Illuminations
Captain
  • >>>
United States

A CW Posted at 2018-9-14 11:28
Be thankful as they tend to stop when you want something fixed

Good point!
2018-9-14
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

2018-9-14
Use props
Illuminations
Captain
  • >>>
United States

I'd still like to know if the reasoning behind not providing 4k timelapse capability. If DJI made a drone more expensive than the Mavic 2 that had 4k timelapse mode it would make more sense (though it would suck even more!). Canon does that - my 80D only shoots 1080p timelapses, even though it is obviously powerful enough to handle 4k timelapses, but Canon has the 6D mark ii, which has a 4k timelapse mode, and they've obviously hobbled the 80D to sell the 6d mark ii.

It'd be nice to get a comment from DJI on why there is no 4k timelapse option in the Mavic 2 and whether or not it's planned to add this feature in a future update.
2018-9-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dude, didn't you read the specs before you bought it?
2018-9-14
Use props
Anthony566
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2488944 ft
United Kingdom

I cancelled my M2P order a few days ago as I thought this time round I should wait six months for the kinks to be ironed out as I got my MP in December 2016 when it was launched.

The M2P looks really good on paper and the improvements are definitely a step in the right direction

2018-9-14
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for the inquiry. If you're using Waypoint then the aircraft will generate a time-lapse video with a resolution of 1080p25 automatically, which is viewable in the playback menu, You can select the JPEG or RAW format footage and store the footage in built-in storage or SD card under camera settings.
2018-9-14
Use props
Illuminations
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-9-14 14:43
Hi, Thanks for the inquiry. If you're using Waypoint then the aircraft will generate a time-lapse video with a resolution of 1080p25 automatically, which is viewable in the playback menu, You can select the JPEG or RAW format footage and store the footage in built-in storage or SD card under camera settings.

Why is it locked to a single resolution and framerate? I prefer to film and export at 30fps. Are there any plans to offer additional timelapse mode settings? Saving the still images results in too much post-production work and takes up too much storage space, so I prefer to create timelapses in-camera.
2018-9-14
Use props
Illuminations
Captain
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2018-9-14 12:03
Dude, didn't you read the specs before you bought it?

Sure, but on DJI's Mavic 2 product page it doesn't mention the resolution of the final timelapse out of the drone - I naturally assumed it would be 4k, or that the option of 4k would be available.
2018-9-14
Use props
Wingman27
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18317 ft
United Kingdom

Dolly zoom does not record in 4K either ... only 1080P
2018-9-14
Use props
Blellow
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1311056 ft
  • >>>
United States

It's a real Sony move.
2018-9-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Illuminations Posted at 2018-9-14 15:34
Sure, but on DJI's Mavic 2 product page it doesn't mention the resolution of the final timelapse out of the drone - I naturally assumed it would be 4k, or that the option of 4k would be available.

Just messing with you!   

but you should know DJI by now, they don't make any sense in any of their decisions. Also assuming with DJI is another NO NO NO NO  
2018-9-15
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Illuminations Posted at 2018-9-14 15:31
Why is it locked to a single resolution and framerate? I prefer to film and export at 30fps. Are there any plans to offer additional timelapse mode settings? Saving the still images results in too much post-production work and takes up too much storage space, so I prefer to create timelapses in-camera.

Hi, Thanks for the prompt reply. I will forward this concern with our engineers to see if we could possibly change the setting and if not, will forward this suggestion. Thank you for understanding.
2018-9-16
Use props
Illuminations
Captain
  • >>>
United States

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-9-16 08:39
Hi, Thanks for the prompt reply. I will forward this concern with our engineers to see if we could possibly change the setting and if not, will forward this suggestion. Thank you for understanding.

Thank you! I really appreciate it, and hope that it's a simple fix.
2018-9-16
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Illuminations Posted at 2018-9-16 14:02
Thank you! I really appreciate it, and hope that it's a simple fix.

Hopefully, we could end up in a positive way. Thank you for the support.
2018-9-16
Use props
Drone-Pilot
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2131073 ft
  • >>>

they cannot make the mavic than their baby the Phantom series so yes they will be praying limitations mavic.
2018-9-17
Use props
Illuminations
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Drone-Pilot Posted at 2018-9-17 17:44
they cannot make the mavic than their baby the Phantom series so yes they will be praying limitations mavic.

But now the Mavic series costs as much as the Phantom series - putting limitations on one to sell the other would make no sense whatsoever.
2018-9-17
Use props
Robin2win14
lvl.1
Luxembourg

I agree and I am equally frustrated. The 1080p limitations should definitely be mentioned on the DJI Products page, as with the heavy emphasis on 4K filming, it is definitely misleading. Same goes for the dolly zoom which is also limited to 1080p (and it only uses the 2x optical zoom). Not cool DJI!
2018-9-18
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

I think this a software limitation e.g. the software that combines the still images into a timelapse is limited.  You should try using interval shooting and make the timelapse yourself.
2018-9-18
Use props
Illuminations
Captain
  • >>>
United States

Ridg Posted at 2018-9-18 01:49
I think this a software limitation e.g. the software that combines the still images into a timelapse is limited.  You should try using interval shooting and make the timelapse yourself.

I had that thought too,  but it seems unlikely given the impressive processing capabilities of the Mavic 2. Also, keep in mind that any video is just a series of still images. Theoretically shooting at such a drastically reduced frame rate it should be possible to record much higher quality video than at 30fps!
2018-9-20
Use props
Ridg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

Illuminations Posted at 2018-9-20 13:48
I had that thought too,  but it seems unlikely given the impressive processing capabilities of the Mavic 2. Also, keep in mind that any video is just a series of still images. Theoretically shooting at such a drastically reduced frame rate it should be possible to record much higher quality video than at 30fps!

Yes at which point it's the firmware (software) that's the problem, the hardware is there to create a 4K time lapse; all it needs is software along the lines of only write every nth frame of video to the actual stream.
2018-9-21
Use props
djiuser_HMGdvlpLXg3m
lvl.1

Hong Kong

Illuminations Posted at 2018-9-20 13:48

I come here because of same issue - 1080 timelapse is disappointing. .
Some people bring up a solution - interval shooting.  But can we do that with waypoint or do that while moving the location?
2020-11-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules