Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Skyreat ND filters & the Mavic 2 Pro's Variable Aperture
1879 16 2018-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

It can be argued that you no longer need ND filters if you have the Mavic 2 Pro as you can vary the aperture to achieve a shutter speed around 1/50 - 1/60 to get that cinemtic effect.

However, it's always a bit subjective and so rather than fly around on a sunny day, I use a flood light to show you exactly how varying the aperture affects the shutter speed with and without NDs fitted.

Cheers
Ian

2018-9-15
Use props
DJI Gamora
Administrator

Hi, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Have a safe flight always.
2018-9-15
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Thank you for this nice overview Wellsi! I am heading out now for my own test with actual footage. My Skyreat set of just the 3 normal ND filters arrived yesterday and my first impressions of the making quality are identical to yours. Look and feel is very good and they fit perfectly on the camera. I shall report back my further findings as soon as ready.
2018-9-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Good review Ian   
2018-9-15
Use props
Wellsi
Second Officer
Flight distance : 8330187 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-15 05:14
Thank you for this nice overview Wellsi! I am heading out now for my own test with actual footage. My Skyreat set of just the 3 normal ND filters arrived yesterday and my first impressions of the making quality are identical to yours. Look and feel is very good and they fit perfectly on the camera. I shall report back my further findings as soon as ready.

Good stuff... Must admit the 3 NDs will be the more useful set....  Have fun Wach

Ian
2018-9-15
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Wellsi Posted at 2018-9-15 08:59
Good stuff... Must admit the 3 NDs will be the more useful set....  Have fun Wach

Ian

Yes, the 3 ND set is definitely the most useful one and comes at a very attractive price. Unfortunately I had to abandon my testing planned for this afternoon because almost non stop the sky was densely covered with clouds. But forecast for tomorrow is very promising :-) Today I used the time for urgently needed gardening... ;-)
2018-9-15
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Very nice review as always Ian, by the way have you managed to get the Mavic Pro back?
2018-9-15
Use props
Bioluminous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 83638 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was hoping that the variable aperture would close more than f/11 to avoid the need for ND filters. Unfortunately, I have found that even at f/11, 1/50 shutter speed and ISO 100, it is still overexposed in bright light. I wish the aperture closed to f/22, but even then I think it would require ND filters in bright light. Excellent review, thanks for it!
2018-9-15
Use props
EdisonW1979
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1535679 ft
Canada

Bioluminous Posted at 2018-9-15 10:51
I was hoping that the variable aperture would close more than f/11 to avoid the need for ND filters. Unfortunately, I have found that even at f/11, 1/50 shutter speed and ISO 100, it is still overexposed in bright light. I wish the aperture closed to f/22, but even then I think it would require ND filters in bright light. Excellent review, thanks for it!

As some have already discovered, when the lens is stopped down to f/11, it begins to deteriorate the clarity of the image due to refraction effects, so even if the lens went to f/22, that wouldn't be usable, as even on DSLR lenses stopped down that far, the reduction in quality is very noticeable.

Most lenses "sweet spot" is f/5.6 - f/8, and from what I've seen it seems to hold true for this drone as well, so ND's are still useful.

However I've found gradient ND's are MUCH more useful in many cases than normal ND's, as they do a much better job evening out landscape exposures.
2018-9-15
Use props
MauiMaps
lvl.4

So is anyone else having issues with Skyreat filters not fitting or not being able to put the storage cover on 'easily'?
Skyreat replied to me acknowledging the the filter hang over/frame storage cover issue is going to be fixed. They have not seen the issues with installing 3 of my 4 filters.

Edit #2, I have been using the filters more and they are easier to install compared to orignal video. They still catch slightly when trying to remove but hopefully adjust more after a few more uses.

2018-9-15
Use props
Bioluminous
lvl.3
Flight distance : 83638 ft
  • >>>
United States

EdisonW1979 Posted at 2018-9-15 11:16
As some have already discovered, when the lens is stopped down to f/11, it begins to deteriorate the clarity of the image due to refraction effects, so even if the lens went to f/22, that wouldn't be usable, as even on DSLR lenses stopped down that far, the reduction in quality is very noticeable.

Most lenses "sweet spot" is f/5.6 - f/8, and from what I've seen it seems to hold true for this drone as well, so ND's are still useful.

I forgot about the diffraction at smaller apertures. Now I want to figure out what this camera's ideal f-stop is. Thanks about the tip regarding graduated ND filters. I hadn't considered one but of course all of the footage I take that needs an ND would usually benefit from a graduated filter instead of flat. I wish the camera on the pro had a circular filter screw mount like on all other lenses.
2018-9-15
Use props
No Man's Drone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 301545 ft
United States

Bioluminous Posted at 2018-9-15 17:32
I forgot about the diffraction at smaller apertures. Now I want to figure out what this camera's ideal f-stop is. Thanks about the tip regarding graduated ND filters. I hadn't considered one but of course all of the footage I take that needs an ND would usually benefit from a graduated filter instead of flat. I wish the camera on the pro had a circular filter screw mount like on all other lenses.

Me too. I'm still trying to decide what really is the sweet spot on the M2P f stop.
2018-9-15
Use props
Zatx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

I'm getting the clearest images in the f4-5.6 range. Anything greater than f8 is blah.
2018-9-16
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

MauiMaps Posted at 2018-9-15 12:05
So is anyone else having issues with Skyreat filters not fitting or not being able to put the storage cover on 'easily'?
https://youtu.be/4XaqXAZCe34

Good to know Maui.. I went with pgytech. Had good results on the m1 and they look a lot better too. Maybe not polar pro quality
2018-9-16
Use props
MauiMaps
lvl.4

thehippoz Posted at 2018-9-16 13:25
Good to know Maui.. I went with pgytech. Had good results on the m1 and they look a lot better too. Maybe not polar pro quality

Skyreat replied to me acknowledging the the filter hang over/frame storage cover issue is going to be fixed. They have not seen the issues with installing 3 of my 4 filters.

I saw pgytech's comparison photos and wondered why they were completely different. 1 of skyreat's review videos said they used the same glass factory as polar pro and they have good prices on ND filters. For PL, I think polar pro and f-stops has rotating bracket for the M2P.
Edit #2, I have been using the filters more and they are easier to install compared to orignal video. They still catch slightly when trying to remove but hopefully adjust more after a few more uses.
2018-9-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

MauiMaps Posted at 2018-9-15 12:05
So is anyone else having issues with Skyreat filters not fitting or not being able to put the storage cover on 'easily'?

Good to know - thanks for sharing   
2018-9-17
Use props
DanielVieira
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4633533 ft
  • >>>
Portugal

Hi,

I can confirm that with Skyreat filters on you cant use the stock gimbal guard, ive made this little clip to test ND8 filter:

As for the installation, the first time is harder to install and remove but then it became more easy.

Seems very good and im pleased with this NDs from Skyreat.
2018-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules