2553 24 2018-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
eried
lvl.4
Flight distance : 661362 ft
Norway

Hi admins,

Could you clarify what DJI thinks on alternative control apps like Litchi? Because I understand that they all use the official SDK for communicating with the drone, so they are actually part of the normal experience with the product.

Basically, what happens if I crash the drone while using apps like Litchi, Aero Ranger, etc? are the rules the same if I was using DJI GO?

I recently tested Litchi with my MP, and just because the waypoints functionality I want to switch forever and avoid DJI GO 4. But Litchi does not generate logs like DJI GO 4 (the use Airdata)...
2018-9-15
Use props
Thriller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 374337 ft
Italy

Intersting... I would know DJI reply me too.
2018-9-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

From what I've read on previous threads that will not uphold warranty claims if third party apps were used when the drone crashes.
2018-9-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Dude, you will be out of luck! RULE OF THUMB, No one will honor a warranty when you use someone else products!
2018-9-15
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Norway

dronist Posted at 2018-9-15 06:46
Dude, you will be out of luck! RULE OF THUMB, No one will honor a warranty when you use someone else products!

But... they use the official dji sdk, is not like a hackish solution
2018-9-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

eried Posted at 2018-9-15 07:12
But... they use the official dji sdk, is not like a hackish solution

Dude, it doens't matter. If Litchi screwed up their coding you can't expect DJI to honor the warranty. Same goes for everything and that is why every company use a DISCLAIMER to shun away from liability.
2018-9-15
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft
United States

This is their official response

"
Hi, Thanks for your inquiry. Together with channel partners, DJI evaluates the aircraft’s, handheld gimbal products’ as well as accessories’ product strategies and pricing system on a regular basis. This reasonable price adjustment will provide customers with a sustainable quality experience.
After the price adjustment, if you want to purchase extra batteries, propellers, chargers, and portable bags, the Fly More Kit is still the ideal budget choice."
2018-9-15
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Norway

dronist Posted at 2018-9-15 07:23
Dude, it doens't matter. If Litchi screwed up their coding you can't expect DJI to honor the warranty. Same goes for everything and that is why every company use a DISCLAIMER to shun away from liability.

I agree, but it is Dji's firmware on board of the drone the one controlling the sensors and ATTI, GPS mode, etc so if Litchi makes my drone crash I should be able to know, same if some internal bug in my drone was the source of the issue.

What I am saying: if you lose the drone, then you are probably screwed. But if you have the internal log stored in the drone itself, then dji should be able to determine what was the issue dont you think?
2018-9-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

eried Posted at 2018-9-15 07:26
I agree, but it is Dji's firmware on board of the drone the one controlling the sensors and ATTI, GPS mode, etc so if Litchi makes my drone crash I should be able to know, same if some internal bug in my drone was the source of the issue.

What I am saying: if you lose the drone, then you are probably screwed. But if you have the internal log stored in the drone itself, then dji should be able to determine what was the issue dont you think?

It is not a matter if I agree or not that is the rule that all companies go by to protect their ASSSSES.

We can agree to disagree but that is how it goes. I mean to begin with they already give you a hard time if you crash when you are using their app so what do you think if you crash using other people apps? Of course they will NOT cover it.
2018-9-15
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 13425892 ft
  • >>>
South Africa

Dji will not cover your drone when flying with a third party app
2018-9-15
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hi there, thank you for raising this up. Regarding your concern. Unfortunately, once you use any third part App with DJI product it will void the warranty and DJI will not cover it and DJI can't gather any logs using a third party application,
2018-9-15
Use props
asaw
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1672566 ft
Ukraine

dronist Posted at 2018-9-15 06:46
Dude, you will be out of luck! RULE OF THUMB, No one will honor a warranty when you use someone else products!

Like a smartphone for example?
2018-9-15
Use props
ghostrdr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1272723 ft
United States

Clear enough for you?  
2018-9-15
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Norway

DJI Stephen Posted at 2018-9-15 10:41
Hi there, thank you for raising this up. Regarding your concern. Unfortunately, once you use any third part App with DJI product it will void the warranty and DJI will not cover it and DJI can't gather any logs using a third party application,

OK, thanks. But now I do not fully understand why this exist: https://developer.dji.com/
2018-9-15
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

eried Posted at 2018-9-15 11:07
OK, thanks. But now I do not fully understand why this exist: https://developer.dji.com/

To give the liberty to developers to develop and to you for taking your own responsibility if you want to use third party products to fly your drone. Warranty is only for a year but if you like your drone, you will certainly fly it longer. And then it doesn't matter any more what you are using as software. Even before end of warranty you are free to do so, but have to be aware that accountability and potential repair costs are on your side. On the other hand if a third party app is not reliable or even dangerous, that should get known widely quite fast I believe. Now what exactly is still your problem?
2018-9-15
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Norway

No problem really, I was wondering what if dji starts an Apple-like scenario where old hardware start to misbehave (slowness, etc) and then third party app (litchi) just shields me from dji go 4 problems, not the drone/rc firmware possible issues.
ALSO, just found:
Sketch.png
2018-9-15
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

eried Posted at 2018-9-15 11:46
No problem really, I was wondering what if dji starts an Apple-like scenario where old hardware start to misbehave (slowness, etc) and then third party app (litchi) just shields me from dji go 4 problems, not the drone/rc firmware possible issues.
ALSO, just found:
[view_image]

Ah good to know
2018-9-15
Use props
eried
lvl.4
Norway

But Ryan Tong does not work in dji anymore... LOL! also who knows, maybe policies have changed.
2018-9-15
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

eried Posted at 2018-9-15 11:46
ALSO, just found:
[view_image]

This does not really contradict previous statements. If the aircraft blackbox data clearly shows a serious hardware malfunction unrelated to app, I am quite sure that DJI will assume their responsibility within the warranty period. And hardware malfunctions do happen, but far less frequently than other scenarios if you read the crash reports on here.
2018-9-15
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

Wachtberger Posted at 2018-9-15 12:04
This does not really contradict previous statements. If the aircraft blackbox data clearly shows a serious hardware malfunction unrelated to app, I am quite sure that DJI will assume their responsibility within the warranty period. And hardware malfunctions do happen, but far less frequently than other scenarios if you read the crash reports on here.

the issue is most large companies take the lazy way out.. even if clear hardware malfunction if they can see somehow you used a 3rd party app, they likely to still throw blame that way..

back when i had a ford explorer SUV i had it police spec'd out.  they tried to void any coverage of its warranty or something, they wouldn't inspect it nor would they even fix things.  the reason, the push bar on the front of the vehical, something about it that they claimed was a hardware modification, some BS like that.    like what the actual eff.. luckily i got that resolved when i contacted ford corporate directly, next thing i knew i got free services for life of the vehical..
2018-9-15
Use props
msinger
First Officer
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

HereForTheBeer Posted at 2018-9-15 12:28
the issue is most large companies take the lazy way out.. even if clear hardware malfunction if they can see somehow you used a 3rd party app, they likely to still throw blame that way..

Have you ever seen a case where there was a clear hardware failure and DJI took the easy way out because the pilot was using Litchi? I've never seen anything like that.
2018-9-15
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer

msinger Posted at 2018-9-15 12:51
Have you ever seen a case where there was a clear hardware failure and DJI took the easy way out because the pilot was using Litchi? I've never seen anything like that.

Nor have I. There are even cases when the aircraft could not be recovered for analysis but the flightrecord from the mobile device clearly indicated hardware malfunction and full replacement was granted.
2018-9-15
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

asaw Posted at 2018-9-15 10:46
Like a smartphone for example?

Yuppper! and TV, computers, wife, EX girlfriends and or boyfriend,  etc...
2018-9-15
Use props
HereForTheBeer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

msinger Posted at 2018-9-15 12:51

no but honestly i haven't been looking and the only place i would hear of it happening would be these forums since i'm not part of many other drone communities..     so im not going to say doesnt happen.... i imagine it has to happen either straight up denial or denial by software like changing methodology of logging to be incompatible with SDK..this incomplete or invalid data..
2018-9-15
Use props
gman75
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19190 ft
United States

They will cover your drone if you crash it and you use a 3rd party SDK app. You send the flight logs, SDK logs, drone, and a report and they will cover it provided there isn't anything which points to something directly attributable that they don't control which could be the case with an inexperienced pilot or bad software (3rd party, SDK, firmware, etc). They make it a policy to say they won't cover it but in practice they do based on verbal convos and actual claims done. No promises but wanted to dispute the hard liners.
2019-5-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules