Some Mavic AIR simple battery charging questions
4616 12 2018-9-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
plainman007
lvl.2

India

·    Is it ok to charge batteries when they are @75% already. Will that count as 1 cycle on the count menu in the app.
·    The charger doesn't charge warm battery, so its safe to plug in the battery when its warm itself ? Then why the warning by DJI not to charge the warm battery if the charger anyway has warm batt protection ?
·    Battery charger is supposedly auto cut off. So it won't over charge your battery right ? Then why DJI warning says don't over charge your battery or remove from charger as soon as charged ?

Thanks

2018-9-15
Use props
TonyFonagerDK
lvl.3
Flight distance : 245013 ft
Denmark

You can charge them when they are 75% - then will just continue to charge up til 100% - this will NOT count as 1 cycle.

I dont know what percentage they need to be charged from, to count as 1 cycle though - anyone ?
2018-9-15
Use props
Wachtberger
Captain
Flight distance : 261509 ft

In any case you should always start your flights with full batteries. And yes, they do not charge when still to warm and they do not overcharge. DJI probably thought it is better to warn anyway for being on the safe side. And some people use third party chargers.
2018-9-15
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum. You may check this link for safety guidelines: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/ ... idelines%20v1.0.pdf
2018-9-16
Use props
msinger
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

The battery "Times Charge" count is incremented each time the battery is charged from 0% to 100%. If you charge it from 50% to 100% two times (for example), the count will be incremented by one.

The battery will automatically stop charging when it has been fully charged. There is no way to overcharge it.
2018-9-16
Use props
plainman007
lvl.2

India

So in conclusion...

Its OK to leave them in the charger for a hour or 2 after the charge.

Its OK to plug a warm battery into my charger as the battery is anyway intelligent and the warm battery protection will kick in and then only start charge. So its ok to plug them in when they are piping hot from a just finished flight.

Am i correct in both these points or have i misunderstood. Please do confirm.
2018-9-16
Use props
plainman007
lvl.2

India

msinger Posted at 2018-9-16 02:19
The battery "Times Charge" count is incremented each time the battery is charged from 0% to 100%. If you charge it from 50% to 100% two times (for example), the count will be incremented by one.

The battery will automatically stop charging when it has been fully charged. There is no way to overcharge it.

So charging from 25% to 100% (which i usually do, will be counted as 3/4th of a charge count. Right ?
So if i do the above 4 times, its actually counted as 3 charge cycles, yes.

2018-9-16
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

plainman007 Posted at 2018-9-16 08:04
So charging from 25% to 100% (which i usually do, will be counted as 3/4th of a charge count. Right ?
So if i do the above 4 times, its actually counted as 3 charge cycles, yes.

Yes, that would be 3 complete cycles.
2018-9-16
Use props
plainman007
lvl.2

India

msinger Posted at 2018-9-16 09:06
Yes, that would be 3 complete cycles.

Thanks...

And its ok to plug in a battery while its piping hot ?. The warm battery protection will handle it or i should wait for it to cool and only then plug it in ?
2018-9-16
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

plainman007 Posted at 2018-9-16 09:19
Thanks...

And its ok to plug in a battery while its piping hot ?. The warm battery protection will handle it or i should wait for it to cool and only then plug it in ?

You cannot charge a piping hot battery, so there's no need to attempt to do it. If you're attempting to charge hot batteries, then you probably need to go buy another spare or two.
2018-9-16
Use props
plainman007
lvl.2

India

msinger Posted at 2018-9-16 09:45
You cannot charge a piping hot battery, so there's no need to attempt to do it. If you're attempting to charge hot batteries, then you probably need to go buy another spare or two.

When i meant piping hot i meant from the aircraft just after a flight. I should wait for it to cool and then plug it in is it ? Cant it be plugged into the official intelligent charger so it will automatically start charging only after its cooled down right ?
2018-9-16
Use props
msinger
Captain
  • >>>
United States

plainman007 Posted at 2018-9-16 20:07
I should wait for it to cool and then plug it in is it ?

Yes, you should wait until they cool down before attempting to plug them in and charge them.
2018-9-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

plainman007 Posted at 2018-9-16 07:59
So in conclusion...

Its OK to leave them in the charger for a hour or 2 after the charge.

Yep, I often place my batteries on a DJI hub and leave them to charge overnight nearby. They are all fully charged when I wake up and auto stop charging to prevent overcharging from happening.
2018-9-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules