Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Horizon not level
4945 25 2018-9-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Reclaimer106
lvl.2
Flight distance : 427382 ft
Netherlands

See attached video.

Imagine strafing/moving a drone to the left without a gimball, the horizon on right side of screen would be lower than horizon on left side if screen. By using a gimball, the camera should be leveld when the aircraft is not level.
In this video you can see the MA move to the left, but the horizon is not level. The right side of the screen is even higher than the left side. The gimball seems to over compensate?
When moving to the right, the opposite happens. When standing still the horizon seems to be level.

Gimball is calibrated on flat surface. IMU is calibrated on the same flat surface. After calibrating when I put the drone on a flat surface, the horizon is level.
Gimball is in follow, not FPV.

Do other MA pilots experience this too? What could be the cause of it?

Thanks alot for thinking with me!
2018-9-16
Use props
DJKOR
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2035676 ft
Australia

Are you flying in Sports mode? I've never gotten that unless I'm specifically in that mode.
2018-9-16
Use props
FI. Stanley
lvl.4
Flight distance : 148556 ft
  • >>>

Just contact dji support. Look like there is faulty with the gimbal.
2018-9-16
Use props
Reclaimer106
lvl.2
Netherlands

DJKOR Posted at 2018-9-16 12:15
Are you flying in Sports mode? I've never gotten that unless I'm specifically in that mode.

Nope, not in sport mode
2018-9-16
Use props
DJKOR
lvl.4
Australia

Sorry. Early morning. Disregard my response. I was not looking at the angle right. It's opposite what you'd expect in sports mode. I'd definitely be opening a case with DJI  
2018-9-16
Use props
Wachtberger
First Officer
Flight distance : 261509 ft

Could it be that your gimbal setting is "FPV" and not "Follow"?
2018-9-16
Use props
Reclaimer106
lvl.2
Netherlands

It's in follow. Checked multiple times.
2018-9-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Reclaimer106 Posted at 2018-9-16 13:49
It's in follow. Checked multiple times.

MavAir has probably the best straightest gimbal of all dji drones, I suspect something is unhinged here.
2018-9-16
Use props
GDL
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2768694 ft
Hong Kong

The camera may tilt when suddenly move to sideway. Don't know what cause this problem. But it will level again later when move smooth on side way. To avoid this problem you should not move suddenly to sideway. Always move slow and smooth for best stable video.
2018-9-16
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

GDL Posted at 2018-9-16 17:57
The camera may tilt when suddenly move to sideway. Don't know what cause this problem. But it will level again later when move smooth on side way. To avoid this problem you should not move suddenly to sideway. Always move slow and smooth for best stable video.

Agree. And I've noted that it's particularly bad keeping a level horizon when slipping sideways in heavy wind. It could be that the gimbal doesn't know what "level" is if the little guy is already flying at an angle to compensate for the wind or a sudden sharp blast.
As you say, it should find level if you hover and perhaps do a slow 360 on the spot (the old trick with the P4s).
2018-9-16
Use props
Reclaimer106
lvl.2
Netherlands

It wasn't windy the day I made this video. I'm curious how this movement would look like on another MA, it's been like this since the start so i don't know any better. I showed interest in this problem just recently when people commented on another video of mine that the camera doesnt seem level. Could any1 make a sideways movement with a MA with a clear horizon in view? I'm really curious if it's the same or if it's just my drone with a faulty gimball.
2018-9-16
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

Don't let others tell you that this issue is due to high wind or something.
I do such moves everytime I fly. The camera is always aligned to the horison when I fly sidewards, EXCEPT for when I accelerate, do a sudden move, do a sudden brake or fly in sport mode.

In your video, the gimbal is constantly missaligned which looks like it doesn't get stabilized at all. Open a case and send the drone in for warranty.
2018-9-16
Use props
DJKOR
lvl.4
Australia

The reason the speed is restricted in P-Mode is because of this exact reason. In P-Mode, you should be able to apply full stick forward/backward/left/right and the image will remain stabilised. P-Mode is made to reduce the maximum pitch and roll so that it does not exceed the pitch and roll limits of the gimble.
2018-9-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would return under warranty   
2018-9-16
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
United States

Hi again. Just checked video again (the replay was not good on low bandwidth when I tried to watch earlier). Now I can watch it fully, I have to agree - the gimbal should be working much better that that. I'd return it under warranty or DOA.
2018-9-16
Use props
Zatx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

I shot this in P-Mode and once maximum acceleration was reached my speed was constant. Definitely experiencing gimbal issues and it's not warrantied related, too many complaints of this type.

2018-9-17
Use props
saviour
lvl.4
Flight distance : 604203 ft
Germany

I'm pretty sure you are in an illegal range to that plane..
2018-9-17
Use props
Reclaimer106
lvl.2
Netherlands

Zatx Posted at 2018-9-17 04:59
I shot this in P-Mode and once maximum acceleration was reached my speed was constant. Definitely experiencing gimbal issues and it's not warrantied related, too many complaints of this type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=368i9qq6hMU&t=2s

Yeh that horizon looks alot more level/smooth than mine Affraid it's gonna be a costly repair, but still worth it I guess
2018-9-17
Use props
Zatx
lvl.4
Flight distance : 158166 ft
United States

saviour Posted at 2018-9-17 05:02
I'm pretty sure you are in an illegal range to that plane..

Close, but not quite.

I was 1.5 miles from the airport. I notified the tower traffic controller before taking off and he was visually watching my drone during this shot and the C-130 pilot knew my precise location (which is one reason he turned towards me).
2018-9-17
Use props
Reclaimer106
lvl.2
Netherlands

Anybody knows how much a gimball replace/repair would cost by DJI?
2018-9-17
Use props
Atlas_Aus
lvl.4

Thailand

Howdy,

I have just started to use my MA fully and noticed a slight tilt in my footage, but not as bad as yours. Mind you I was doing a house shoot so the balance looks terrible.. I have done a gimbal balance but may have to redo ? Will keep watching this thread for developments.
2018-9-17
Use props
HedgeTrimmer
Second Officer
United States

Your poor MA looks like it is flying Half in the Bag.
2018-9-17
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Zatx Posted at 2018-9-17 04:59
I shot this in P-Mode and once maximum acceleration was reached my speed was constant. Definitely experiencing gimbal issues and it's not warrantied related, too many complaints of this type.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=368i9qq6hMU&t=2s

Rolling the drone will often cause slight horizon tilt issues - good footage though
2018-9-17
Use props
Reclaimer106
lvl.2
Netherlands

Replacing 4 props also didnt work, rly trying anything here but affraid I will have to miss the drone for a while when sending it for repairs.
2018-9-17
Use props
bikelike
lvl.2
Netherlands

Any updates about result of repair? Warranty, costs? I am in the same situation.
2019-11-9
Use props
djiuser_9X40F7vMSsko
lvl.1
United States

I just bought a dji inspire 2 and is doing this. Is a second hand with very low flights on. But is doing the same thing I see in your video. Did they find a fix?
2020-10-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules